• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
My thoughts on Store Credit.
Store Credit is a huge compromise we could avoid by retaining that original piece of paper, or better yet, by shopping at a store that allows us to get our original money back without it. Store Credit tends to be at the lowest selling price which may be less than you gave the store. Store Credit should be a last resort.

The other consideration is for damaged returns. Most stores that only allow store credit for items that they can resell. I'd rather buy the exact same item at Home Depot or WalMart where I know I can exchange it without the original receipt should it fail to function correctly. Even though I was still saving those original receipts, it still takes time to find it.

If anyone wants to add comments next to the stores that give store credit for returns without proof of purchase, feel free to do so, but I would think that most FWers would already be avoiding stores that don't even do that much in today's competitive environment.

As long as it has a barcode and I don't have a receipt my first stop is Wal-Mart to return. I will take store credit over the item collecting dust. Plus under certain amounts you can get Cash Back as the Wal-Mart I worked at it was Cash Back under ten, with no receipt plus no id swipe! It varies from store to store because another one was Cash Back under twenty, with no receipt but an id swipe on all returns without a receipt no matter the cost. Also stores have return by dates on the receipt so sometimes loosing the receipt is the next best thing, since the csr will most likely not honor the return if they see a date say months past the return deadline. Depending on what was originally purchased the value of the item may still be the same as when purchased yet with a dated receipt if you are beyond the return deadline that item will go back to your closet to collect dust. Also one more thing to mention, Wal-Mart swipes your id in addition to collecting your info, they also track your returns without a receipt. The limit is three returns without a receipt within any six month time frame, beyond that the csr has the discretion to approve or rejct your return. So hope to get a csr who is frazzled or in a rush who comes over and automatically sticks their key in the register without thinking and approve the refund if you happen to be over the three limit.

nativeamericansaver said: As long as it has a barcode and I don't have a receipt my first stop is Wal-Mart to return. I will take store credit over the item collecting dust. Plus under certain amounts you can get Cash Back as the Wal-Mart I worked at it was Cash Back under ten, with no receipt plus no id swipe! It varies from store to store because another one was Cash Back under twenty, with no receipt but an id swipe on all returns without a receipt no matter the cost. Also stores have return by dates on the receipt so sometimes loosing the receipt is the next best thing, since the csr will most likely not honor the return if they see a date say months past the return deadline. Depending on what was originally purchased the value of the item may still be the same as when purchased yet with a dated receipt if you are beyond the return deadline that item will go back to your closet to collect dust. Also one more thing to mention, Wal-Mart swipes your id in addition to collecting your info, they also track your returns without a receipt. The limit is three returns without a receipt within any six month time frame, beyond that the csr has the discretion to approve or rejct your return. So hope to get a csr who is frazzled or in a rush who comes over and automatically sticks their key in the register without thinking and approve the refund if you happen to be over the three limit.

You know, for as much as people bash WalMart, you've cited many of the reasons why I tend to go there. I have never had to worry about returning something to WalMart with, or without, a receipt. Even with a receipt that was older than 90 days, I've always been able to convince a manager to give me store credit for the original price.

I'm not trying to knock store credit, I'm just trying to compile a list of stores that will give a full refund without the original receipt (or a copy). I've had really good success with WalMart and them looking up the transaction.

At bed bath and beyond; they accept everything back, and if you don't have a reciept, but they carry the product, they will give you the last price of the product. You could outfit your apartment; then simply return everything instead of moving it all, and buy again later...

timothy86 said: The original CC is all that is needed at Macy's so long as a Macy's CC was used.

(Updated Quick Summary)
Incorrect. Macy's and Bloomingdale's will look up transaction information if the original credit/debit card, Macy's/Bloomingdale's card, or gift registry # is presented within six months of original purchase. All cash refunds require the original receipt, otherwise store credit is issued.

Also all Bloomingdale's and some Macy's divisions use CRL's (Customer Return Labels), which are little barcoded stickers placed on the tag. They also link the transaction and item UPC, so that transaction information can be looked up without any of the above methods.

I don't know.
I saw the posts about Macys and I have found them one of the worst stores to make a return without a receipt.
I had a gift set with the tag on and the gifter gave me the receipt.
i tried to exchange it.
they would not.
They said that since it was charged on the receipt.,i could not get a store credit or an even exchange.
i was told that they had to credit the givers card,although it was obvious that she gave me the receipt so that I could exchange it.
This was 2 years ago in Staten island and i have not made a purchase there since.

One more thing about Wal-Mart. Ther cash office behind the service desk has and can look up a transaction weeks if not months back. If you have lost your reciept, but paid with some type of card, they can look up the transaction. It it tedious for Wal-Mart but if you really want your money back they can give it to you and refund your card. I've seen it done just a few times but it does happen.

Both Staples and Officemax will give you store credit without a receipt for whatever the current price is.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014