• filter:
  • 135363738 39
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Uriarte69 said:   Has anyone closed their Chase Slate account, reapplied and got the 0% fee balance transfer offer? I used the offer about 2 years ago and closed the account in July 2013. When calling to ask, the customer service rep states the only way to find out is to reapply and see what happens.
  What if you went on the Chase website where they let you check for prequalified offers, and see what you're prequalified for?  The prequalification check should not cause a hard pull.

rated:
I should mention that I did have a problem in that their system still showed I had a Slate card even though it had been closed several years prior, so I had to call the reconsideration line and they were able to look and see that the system was wrong and approve it (see my earlier comment in this thread for details)

rated:
I have an Amazon rewards card that's administered by Chase. If I signed up for Chase Slate, would they allow a transfer?

If not, what's the best alternative option?

rated:
They probably won't allow it. Have you looked into Citi Simplicity card? There's a 3% fee but the 0% APR is good for 18 months.

rated:
Do people still do "app-o-ramas"? Anybody done one recently?

rated:
TrueValue said:   Do people still do "app-o-ramas"? Anybody done one recently?
  Yes, last night as a matter of fact.

rated:
talonesi said:   

Thanks for the reply.  When you apply for multiple cards at once, what's the best way?  All applied for online one after another in the same day? In that way for example, would the 2nd card you apply for not see the inquiry made for the 1st app? When do the inquiries hit your credit report?  1-day delay?

rated:
TrueValue said:   
talonesi said:   

Thanks for the reply.  When you apply for multiple cards at once, what's the best way?  All applied for online one after another in the same day? In that way for example, would the 2nd card you apply for not see the inquiry made for the 1st app? When do the inquiries hit your credit report?  1-day delay?

Nowadays the inquiries are instantaneous, so an app-o-rama doesn't give a timing advantage.  It does make it so that your inquiries age/drop off in blocks.  For example, all your inquiries from an AOR today will hit 6 months together, at which point your report will be "cleaner" of recent inquiries.  And they all fall off at the same time (after 2 years of course).

rated:
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. So inquiries show up literally instantly? It's just when some people say instant they mean "near-instant" because databases sometimes are set to update once daily at midnight. Do people try to do one app where they pull say the EQ report, and then another app where they pull a different CRA like EX?

rated:
TrueValue said:   Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. So inquiries show up literally instantly? It's just when some people say instant they mean "near-instant" because databases sometimes are set to update once daily at midnight. Do people try to do one app where they pull say the EQ report, and then another app where they pull a different CRA like EX?
Perhaps "near-instant" is more fair, as if you click apply near-simultaneously the apps might not see each other's inquiries.  But they do update intra-day.  Many do strategize selection and order of apps based on which CRA gets pulled and how sensitive the issuer is to inquiries (e.g., US Bank always goes first IMO).

rated:
talonesi said:   

Which cards did you get approved for?  Would love to know....

rated:
TrueValue said:   
talonesi said:   

Which cards did you get approved for?  Would love to know....

Since you seem like a nice guy and a senior member:
Citi Advantage Executive
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Marriott Premier Visa
Amex Starwood Preferred Guest
Amex Amex Hilton Honors
Barclays Barclays US Air (pending)
US Bank Club Carlson (pending)

rated:
Talonesio, thank you for the information. I don't have much experience applying for credit cards. How long generally is it until you can start using the cards? Approved instantly online, and then receive the card in the mail within the next 10 days? I wonder if they give you your card number right away in case you want to make an online purchase before the card arrives in the mail. I have a purchase I want to make and if I'm going to get reward points on it I need to plan my credit card appdate accordingly.

rated:
Some providers offer overnight card delivery for a fee, you will have to determine if that is worth it for you. In general your cards should arrive within a week if approved immediately. If you application goes into review it could take weeks. I seem to recall some banks provide immediate account numbers to begin charging, especially if you applied with a bank you currently have accounts with. The immediate access to the account hasn't been a concern for me in the past so I haven't paid much attention. Perhaps others can weigh in on your question. Good luck

Edited: I did receive the Citi card this afternoon. 

rated:
Navy Federal 0% 12 months no fee, possibly targeted (watch the thread for updates from people, I guess?): http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1348889/

rated:
I've added the link for the 15 month BofA card. Although it doesn't have the no fee bonus the 12 month one does, its still a useful card.

rated:
It looks like Great Lakes Credit Union has a 0 fee 0% 12 month balance transfer card now.

rated:
Shaudius said:   It looks like Great Lakes Credit Union has a 0 fee 0% 12 month balance transfer card now.
  Good deal except for 2% transfer fee.

rated:
Argyll said:   
Shaudius said:   It looks like Great Lakes Credit Union has a 0 fee 0% 12 month balance transfer card now.

I'm not sure where you see that their Visa comparison popup says 0 BT fee and I can't find a mention of a BT fee anywhere else on the page.

rated:
Shaudius said:   
Argyll said:   

I'm not sure where you see that their Visa comparison popup says 0 BT fee and I can't find a mention of a BT fee anywhere else on the page.

I called to verify.

rated:
It seems like Chase Slate is the only card with no BT fee that is easy for the general public to get.

rated:
TrueValue said:   It seems like Chase Slate is the only card with no BT fee that is easy for the general public to get.
  The following credit unions have no BT fee:  Alliant, Northwest, First Tech, Navy Federal, Lake Michigan, and Delta Community.

rated:
I have an old Slate card for years, and I want to get some fee-free BT in 6-12 months. Should I close this one now, and then apply again next year, or it is possible somehow to get 0% no-fee BT with the existing card?

rated:
Any specific recommendation for someone with mediocre credit? I'm trying to help someone w/FICO 650 who owes $14k. She already has a Slate.

rated:
prikindel said:   I have an old Slate card for years, and I want to get some fee-free BT in 6-12 months. Should I close this one now, and then apply again next year, or it is possible somehow to get 0% no-fee BT with the existing card?
  Ask Chase.  The 0% BT appears to be only for new cardholders.   Ask them if you close and re-open what time frame is adequate for the BT offer.

Alliant CU also has a 0% no fee BT for 12 months for new cardholders.

rated:
Pipboy said:   Any specific recommendation for someone with mediocre credit? I'm trying to help someone w/FICO 650 who owes $14k. She already has a Slate.
  Credit unions.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 135363738 39
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014