• filter:
  • 138394041 42
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
People on creditboard forum might be more apt at answering your question.

Generally speaking i would say pay off the debt you have. Find a way to pay off your delinquent line of credit and see if you can work out with the bank whether they will remove the delinquency if you pay it off in full. Use your discover card but pay off most of the balance (leave $10) before statement hits each day.

The fact that you have a lot of student loan debt should not damage your credit as long as you are making the payments on time.

Probably no reason to apply for another card since you do have one card and an installment loan (your student loan) that you can grow. Plus you probably would not be approved for anything else with such low scores. You could try to get a store card with shopping card trick but I do not get more than one or two of those.

It's the baddies holding you back - working on those should be your priority.

rated:
The Lake Michigan Credit Union Prime Platinum Visa boasts one of the lowest ongoing APRs out there: right now, it’s 6.25% variable.  The card has no balance transfer fee, so if you need to carry your debt for substantially more than 15 months, this can be a better pick than the Chase Slate.

rated:
Don't know if mentioned before...but Navy federal offers me a 12 month 0% and no fee BT about once per year, usually in April. It's only been when i have a zero balance.

This is on the Go Rewards Visa. Chase Slate and Discover It have been the only other no fee 0% offers I've had in the last couple years.

rated:
Spark appears to have a business 1.5% cash reward credit card with $0 for balance transfers and 0% on purchases through June 2015. $100 one-time bonus on $3,000 purchases in the first 3 months.  Link 

edited to clarify BT does charge interest

rated:
Thoreau said:   Spark appears to have a business credit card with 0% on balance transfers through June 2015. Link here: 
It looks like the balance transfer fee is, indeed, $0.  However, the the balance transfer APR is apparently "12.9%16.9% or 20.9%, based on your creditworthiness."  Link.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rated:
Received an offer in the mail today 0% APR till 2/16, 2% balance transfer fee, on my Slate. Not that bad. And if you were stuck carrying that balance it converts to 11.99%, which again could be worse.

rated:
I received an offer from US Bank on my cash + card for 0% through July 2016 and a 2% transfer fee. Looks like a pretty decent deal to me.

rated:
psm321 said:   FKFCU - 0% Visa Balance Transfer ($500 - $25K) for 6 months, No Fees, Valid until 3/31/2014 

Apparently low initial CLs and tedious application process from skimming that thread

The deal is back and better than before!

LINK 
website said: Limited Time Only: Get 0% intro APR for 12 months on VISA balance transfers! And No Balance Transfer Fees!

Applies to new and existing VISA accounts (Student VISA excluded). Transfers ($500 - $25,000) made between January 1 to March 31, 2015.

Also
website said: • 5% Cash Back rebates on gas purchases
• 1% Cash Back rebates on all retail purchases
• No Balance Transfer Fee
• Credit limit up to $25,000 for qualifying members
• Low interest rate
• No Annual Fee

rated:
Can any validate this being better than the Chase Slate card?

rated:
Ipecac said:   Post the best deals here on credit cards with Balance Transfer offers.

I'd like this to be a community updated list, like the Best Nationally Available High APY Liquid Accounts topic. If you see links here that no longer work or terms that have changed, feel free to update the Quick Summary.

There is also a now similar user-maintained list at the App-O-Rama site. It is not linked from the main page to keep it somewhat under the radar, but SIS asked me to mention it here.

There is an older thread on this topic, but it hasn't been updated in many months and the cards are listed in the OP, so they can't be updated by anyone except the OP. Also the What Credit Card Should I Get ? FAQ is focused on rewards cards. For those of you who regularly browse the AOR threads, you probably won't see much new here. However, I think there is a large segment of this forum who ignore those threads since they have no interest in doing an AOR, but still wants to take advantage of some balance transfer deals.

rated:
I have 2 offers that sound pretty good in my e-mail today:

- 0% until this July, no balance transfer fee from DCU: https://www.dcu.org/whats-new/zero-percent-balance-transfer.html

- 1.49% for 12 months, no transfer fee from Consumers Credit Union: http://www.myconsumers.org/loans-credit/visa-cards

rated:
If I have a Chase Slate card alone, would my wife be able to apply for a Slate card and do the 0% no fee balance transfer? We have never shared any credit cards (or any lines of credit now that I think about it). Just wondering if it is 1 per household.

rated:
DW can certainly get a Slate.

She could not use it directly to pay your Chase card off if that is what you are asking, but you can find some easy ways to do it through another bank -- use a CU CC that has a 0% BT fee, use a convenience check to pay into your (non-Chase just to be sure) checking account (check T&C if this gives you the same terms as a BT), pay off other debt you might have, etc.

rated:
Looks like there's finally an alternative to Slate. Saw this from Citizens Bank with a no fee 0% 15 month deal on several cards.

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/balance-transfer/new-fee-citize... 

Anyone dealt with Citizens before?

rated:
DCU has a 6 month offer:
https://www.dcu.org/whats-new/zero-percent-balance-transfer.html

Not super useful....

rated:
ih8mayo said:   Looks like there's finally an alternative to Slate. Saw this from Citizens Bank with a no fee 0% 15 month deal on several cards.

Thread with more discussion (wouldn't have noticed it without your post though!) : http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1420185/

rated:
psm321 said:   
ih8mayo said:   Looks like there's finally an alternative to Slate. Saw this from Citizens Bank with a no fee 0% 15 month deal on several cards.

Thread with more discussion (wouldn't have noticed it without your post though!) : http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1420185/

And plenty of people who have dealt with Citizens there - thanks

rated:
Thanks for the info

rated:
Will you trigger AA If you use a high % of credit for a balance transfer and only pay minimum until promo period is over?

rated:
topic -- I don't know that we really know the answer to this. We do know there are lots of variables involved. I'm sure AAoA is one, relationship with the issuer another and probably the most important one: The issuer. Income as related to total balance outstanding may also play an important part. Certainly credit score also. There are likely other factors as well, depending on the issuer. Perhaps deposit accounts with the issuer.

DCU was pretty concerned when I stretched things out to a lot of issuers at high utilization. They do soft pulls frequently, so they get this info. Ditto with Foremost Bank.

A lot my cards don't do periodic pulls, so I don't think they'd ever see another issuer's balance with me.

I've had large lines highly utilized with BOA with no AA, but I've been with them forever. Same with Chase. I've also had some CU CCs with high UT and have had no AA with them.

Back before the 2008 crash, there were some FWFers that made a point of paying $10 or $20 over the minimum every month. I haven't seen much written about that lately. Some of my CCs allow that in their autopay feature, some don't. If they allow it, I do it. It is cheap insurance whether it gives any benefit or not.

Aside: Congrats on your $25K line (EDIT:  App-O-Rame thread ).

rated:
Can I buy something on a ( personal or business ) card that I did a 0% BT on without paying high interest on it? What rules do you guys use to guide this?

rated:
http://www.maximizingmoney.com/credit-cards-offer-deals/chartway...

Not exactly 0% APR but something you can play with

rated:
kenny1ok said:   http://www.maximizingmoney.com/credit-cards-offer-deals/chartway... 

Not exactly 0% APR but something you can play with

-1% balance transfer fee (yes, negative), but a minimum 8.99% APR.  Plus, the balance transfer credit caps at $100, so it's not even very churnable.  It's really only a deal if you were willing to carry a balance at 8.99% for some amount of time anyway.

rated:
bonpain -- it's best not to mix things up like this. Just keep your BT cards in the sockdrawer while they are in use. If you grow as a FWF member, you'll soon be buying another dresser just to store all of your CCs.

The CARD act has given this situation a bit of help, but it is a bit of a pain to work around things and can lead to conversations with real people in order to straighten things out if they run amok. Generally, cards with a 0% balance start charging interest on purchases as of the date of the purchase. You can play some prepayment games... just really not worth it unless you have some very special needs. Just get more cards! (and typically, don't use your juicy rewards cards for BTs)

rated:
If I have an emergency purchase I need to make and don't have the cash today but would be able to pay it over the course of the next 6-8 months would I be better off looking for a card with no BT fee since I will be paying a significant portion off each month? Or should I just pay the 3% BT fee I see with most of the offers for 0% APR cards? I have a CSP so unfortunately I can't transfer the balance to the Chase Slate card which seems to be the best option out there. Any advice?

rated:
There are a number of cards which give 0% APR on purchases for the first 6-12 months. If it's a purchase you are going to make with a card, this would be the way to go.

If you are doing a BT and can pay it off in a few months, a low rate card would probably suit you better than 3% up front, as you pay interest on a declining balance.

rated:
Northwest FCU 1.99% no fee balance transfer to May 31,2016. BT has to be done by May 31, 2015.

rated:
which card gives the highest balance transfer normally i have 3,500 on my capital one and 2,400 discover card have a 685 fico score whats the best company to try i messed up and chase freedom only gave me 1,500 line of credit that hurt my score couldn't give me the whole transfer i was trying to get until after i applied! Help PLEASE 

rated:
If you have a 685 I would not recommend opening another card to get a balance transfer on, as you will probably be denied, or given a low amount.

You should Only be using BTs as a tool to help you get out of debt, and only then if you can afford the payments.

What are your Credit limits and balances on each card, and then how much can you BT from each, and what is the BT rate and fee for each?

rated:
Logix CU 0% 12 months no BT fee.  Limited to CA, AZ, NV, DC, MD, VA, MA, ME, NH.

rated:
Am I reading this correctly?

CapOne QuicksilverOne card 0% until November 2015, no fees on BTs, $39 AF

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilverone/ 

rated:
shitrus said:   Am I reading this correctly?

CapOne QuicksilverOne card 0% until November 2015, no fees on BTs, $39 AF

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/quicksilverone/

No the no annual fee Quicksilver has 0% until November, but there is a 3% fee.

This $39 card has no BT special deal. Just the 22.9% rate on everything.

rated:
You sure?

This is directly from the rate and fee information on the website:

Interest Rates and Interest Charges

Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases and Transfers

0% introductory APR through your 11/2015 billing period.
After that, your APR will be 22.9%.
This APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.

Fees

Annual Fee

$39 annually.

Transaction Fees

•Cash Advance Transaction Fee:

Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.

Penalty Fees

•Late Payment Penalty Fee:

Up to $35.

Frequently Asked Questions

What Will My APR Be If I Transfer A Balance?

Any balances that you transfer will receive your Transfer APR and will be posted to the Purchase segment of your account.

rated:
I don't see 0% introductory APR for BT on Capital One QuickSIlverOne!!!! Where do you see that? It shows 22.9% APR for me???

rated:
Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases and Transfers

rated:
shitrus said:   Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for Purchases and Transfers

Can you send the link for the page (or) screenshot? I tried everything possible but couldn't see what you mentioned above!!!

rated:
Is the link I provided above not enough? I mean crap just scroll down, its right above "Clearest Credit Card Applications Winner 5 Years in a Row" with a big Gold circular logo and it says "Rate and Fee Information"

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 138394041 42
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015