• filter:
  • 130 31 32333441
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi, do you know what the maximum negative balance is that Citi will issue a refund for? I can't seem to find that info online, and I don't want to ask them. My credit limit is only $11K, but I have much higher limits with other cards. I was thinking of doing a $20K balance transfer to the Citi card to get a refund check for $20K... Crazy?

rated:
fartfile said:   dougneb said:   fartfile said:   dougneb said:   

That's disappointing. I think I once got them to do an ACH. Have you tried to call and ask them also? I think a few people have BTed to a Citi or BOA account to put it in a negative balance and requested a refund check. Let us know how it goes.

Called them, they refused to send BT checks, but the CSR said he could do the transfer to a bank or loan account if I wanted, I gave him my account info, payment address, and he submitted it for me - said it could take anywhere from 14-21 days (processing+security review), since it's a papercheck they have to send out (not a CC to CC transfer), but the 0%/no fees promotion was still in effect. Fingers crossed, since if doesn't work, I'm out of the 30 day window to get this done via another method (Citi, etc). So FYI, another option for anyone interested.

Thanks fartfile. I'm going to try the Citi BT to put the card in negative balance and request a refund check from them. Haven't heard any negatives to doing it this way yet.

Was going to try that at first, but wasn't sure how well a 15k refund check would go over with Citi....

Anyone know what the maximum negative balance Citi will issue a refund check for? My CL for Citi is $11k, but I was thinking of doing a balance transfer from a higher limit credit card ($20K) to see if Citi would send me a check for $20K.

rated:
Can I use the Chase Slate BT offer to send a negative balance to my Discover card?

Would Discover send me a check for the negative balance? I never did it through Discover before, however I have done it through Citi in the past.

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   umafuaba said:   VentureScout said:   turtlebug said:   Chase Slate is now offering 15 months 0% BT with no BT fee if BT done within 30 days of account opening: Link

Gave it a shot. We'll see.

I already have a Chase Slate card, but my 0% APR offer comes with a 2% transfer fee. Anyone able to successfully apply and receive a 2nd Slate card?

Can't help you with that, but why don't you call them with the offer information and just ask if they'll let you get it with no fee? Not 100% sure, but I think people have gotten similar deals recently.

Thoughts on this pickle or has anyone navigated similar?

My wife has 2 Chase cards (Slate and Freedom applied for by me). The Slate has a balance that I was looking to BT off b/c the 0% on it is running out. Trying to figure out a way either of us can get the latest 15/0/0 Chase offer and move that Slate balance to it (plus another from a different cc company). Since they're in her name I can't call and start asking questions right now and getting her involved in these things is always a chore.

rated:
weigojmi said:   

My wife has 2 Chase cards (Slate and Freedom applied for by me). The Slate has a balance that I was looking to BT off b/c the 0% on it is running out. Trying to figure out a way either of us can get the latest 15/0/0 Chase offer and move that Slate balance to it (plus another from a different cc company). Since they're in her name I can't call and start asking questions right now and getting her involved in these things is always a chore.

Apply for one in your name?

rated:
fartfile said:   weigojmi said:   

Apply for one in your name?

Yea, problem is I want to BT from wife's Chase card which I found out they won't do. Still too good to pass up.

rated:
Is there any way I can do a balance transfer from one Chase card to another. Currently our balance is on my wife's Chase card and I'd like to move it to mine, or apply for a Slate card with the 15/0/0 and move it to that. Can I do this?

rated:
fallonjp said:   Is there any way I can do a balance transfer from one Chase card to another. Currently our balance is on my wife's Chase card and I'd like to move it to mine, or apply for a Slate card with the 15/0/0 and move it to that. Can I do this?

no. see link for possible workaround.

http://creditcardforum.com/visa-mastercard/4220-transferring-bal...

rated:
howie888 said:   fallonjp said:   Is there any way I can do a balance transfer from one Chase card to another. Currently our balance is on my wife's Chase card and I'd like to move it to mine, or apply for a Slate card with the 15/0/0 and move it to that. Can I do this?

I read this as they won't cut a check to a cardmember but its a little hazy: "We may decline to process any balance transfer request and will not process a balance transfer request from any other account or loan that we or any of our affiliates issued, or balance transfer checks made out to cash or to any cardmember."

rated:
weigojmi said:   howie888 said:   fallonjp said:   Is there any way I can do a balance transfer from one Chase card to another. Currently our balance is on my wife's Chase card and I'd like to move it to mine, or apply for a Slate card with the 15/0/0 and move it to that. Can I do this?

I read this as they won't cut a check to a cardmember but its a little hazy: "We may decline to process any balance transfer request and will not process a balance transfer request from any other account or loan that we or any of our affiliates issued, or balance transfer checks made out to cash or to any cardmember."

Rep told me you can't BT check for cash at time of appl/approval and can only after (and if) checks are sent to you which will likely be after the no BT fee period.

rated:
I have done this for up to $67,000 but this was 06-07 they may have gotten stricter since then.

rated:
I applied for a citi simplicity 7 days ago and got a 11K limit. After that I heard and read about the App O Rama and would like to try it out. Is it ok to try this within a week of applying and obtaining the simplicity card or should I wait. I have decent credit.

I am thinking of applying for the following

Chase Slate
Citi Platinum Select
Discover More
USAA
Alliance CU

rated:
are citi allow you to withdraw the BT money via their site or by mail-check?

rated:
mail check or transfer balance to other credit cards online

rated:
This is a nice thread

rated:
Thanks for the info, it was really helpful.

rated:
I have 3 other chase cards and excellent credit. I applied for the Slate and the letter denying me said "too many other accounts with chase."

I don't need a larger combined credit limit, I just want to use some of my existing $70,000 between the 3 cards and turn that into the Slate limit.

Any suggestions for how to approach them on this? I'd gladly close my United card if they'd let use that $24,000 limit on a Slate card.

rated:
I called Chase (888-609-7805) and got a helpful person that is letting me shift around the credit limits in order to open this new card. Overall credit limit stays the same, and I'm not closing any cards, but they'll shift $20,000 over to the new Slate card.

rated:
A balance transfer credit card is what I would recommend if you are looking for an effective way to get out of credit card debt. A reader recently wrote to me, seeking advice on how he can get out of his card debts without borrowing any more money from his family.

rated:
Question for the experts. A year or two ago, I was reading regularly about people who would contact their credit card bank asking if their rates could be reduced, and the bank would instead raise the rates. Has this behaviour largely gone away, or is it something I should still be concerned about?

I currently owe about $60,000 at about 20% spread across four credit cards, one of which I "closed" when Citibank offered me the choice of accepting a 29% rate or staying at about 20% if I closed the card. I've never missed any payments on any of my debts, but my debt to income ratio is pretty bad.

Thoughts? Thanks!

rated:
Such a fantastic post. Really gonna help so many people

rated:
GriffonJames said:   Question for the experts. A year or two ago, I was reading regularly about people who would contact their credit card bank asking if their rates could be reduced, and the bank would instead raise the rates. Has this behaviour largely gone away, or is it something I should still be concerned about?

I currently owe about $60,000 at about 20% spread across four credit cards, one of which I "closed" when Citibank offered me the choice of accepting a 29% rate or staying at about 20% if I closed the card. I've never missed any payments on any of my debts, but my debt to income ratio is pretty bad.

Thoughts? Thanks!
\

wow if you dont mind me asking, how did you rack up 60k in debt?

rated:
Anybody have any direct experience in getting a refund check on a BOA card?

I got my Slate card and considering a BT to a BOA card that would create a 20,000 credit. Then I'd ask for a refund check and use that 20,000 to pay down a HELOC for the next ~~15 months, saving me about 1000 in interest on the HELOC.

rated:
Most top balance transfer deals are for new cardholders, and require the debt to be shifted within a couple of months of opening the card account for a fee of around 3%. Yet there are a few existing customer balance transfer deals which are very useful for more efficiently using credit

rated:
My Timeline:

Mid April:
1. Discover 0% APR expires on $10K of balances
2. I close one of my 3 Chase Credit Card accounts.
3. I'm left with 2 other Chase Accounts: one with $7K of balances and the other with zero balances but $25K CL.

Early May:
1. Incurred $50 interest charge on Discover balances.

Late May:
1. Applied & accepted for Chase Slate with CL $12K. Total: 3 Chase accounts.
2. I BT'ed Discover balances of $10K over to Chase Slate.
3. Instead of requesting for credit increase on Slate, CSR transferred $15K from other Chase account so my total Slate CL is $27K.

Early June:
1. I did a $10K BT to my Citi card from Slate. Citi card has no balances.
2. Incurred another $50 interest charge on Discover card.
3. Old Chase card with $7K balance's 0% APR period expires.

Mid June:
1. Discover receives full payment plus some excess. ($10K of balances were payed with $11K)
2. I request Discover CSR to waive both interest charges since full payment made on balances--done!
3. Citi receives $10K and shows a negative balance.
4. Requested transfer of $10K negative balance at Citi to be directly deposited at my checking account.
5. Also requested a direct deposit of $1K at Discover to my checking account.

Early July:
1. Interest charge incurred on old Chase card with $7K balance.
2. Pay off old Chase card with $7K balance.
2. Total of $18K balances on Slate for 0% APR for another 14 months.

Mid July:
1. Requested interest charge to be waived on old Chase card since $7K balances were paid off in full--Only got 50% of interest charge waived.
2. Con't to make minimum monthly payments on Slate until next roll over : )

IN August:
1. I will likely close the old Chase card and the Discover card.
2. I'll keep the Citi card. (I have numerous other cards that I use for everyday purchases as well)

rated:
A great thread. but i can not understand.

rated:
purplefetus2 said:   My Timeline:

Mid April:
1. Discover 0% APR expires on $10K of balances
2. I close one of my 3 Chase Credit Card accounts.
3. I'm left with 2 other Chase Accounts: one with $7K of balances and the other with zero balances but $25K CL.

Early May:
1. Incurred $50 interest charge on Discover balances.

Late May:
1. Applied & accepted for Chase Slate with CL $12K. Total: 3 Chase accounts.
2. I BT'ed Discover balances of $10K over to Chase Slate.
3. Instead of requesting for credit increase on Slate, CSR transferred $15K from other Chase account so my total Slate CL is $27K.

Early June:
1. I did a $10K BT to my Citi card from Slate. Citi card has no balances.
2. Incurred another $50 interest charge on Discover card.
3. Old Chase card with $7K balance's 0% APR period expires.

Mid June:
1. Discover receives full payment plus some excess. ($10K of balances were payed with $11K)
2. I request Discover CSR to waive both interest charges since full payment made on balances--done!
3. Citi receives $10K and shows a negative balance.
4. Requested transfer of $10K negative balance at Citi to be directly deposited at my checking account.
5. Also requested a direct deposit of $1K at Discover to my checking account.

Early July:
1. Interest charge incurred on old Chase card with $7K balance.
2. Pay off old Chase card with $7K balance.
2. Total of $18K balances on Slate for 0% APR for another 14 months.

Mid July:
1. Requested interest charge to be waived on old Chase card since $7K balances were paid off in full--Only got 50% of interest charge waived.
2. Con't to make minimum monthly payments on Slate until next roll over : )

IN August:
1. I will likely close the old Chase card and the Discover card.
2. I'll keep the Citi card. (I have numerous other cards that I use for everyday purchases as well)

Do not close any cards without good reason, doing so will hurt your credit score.

Discover tends to not approve applications for a new card if you already have a couple from them so you might want to consider closing that one even though it will hurt your credit score.

Instead of closing the Chase card I would talk to Chase's credit department about moving the limit to your Slate card. This would lower your utilization rate (overall and on the card) and would allow you to take out more 0% money for spending or emergencies.

rated:
jameshasty said:   

Do not close any cards without good reason, doing so will hurt your credit score.

Discover tends to not approve applications for a new card if you already have a couple from them so you might want to consider closing that one even though it will hurt your credit score.

Instead of closing the Chase card I would talk to Chase's credit department about moving the limit to your Slate card. This would lower your utilization rate (overall and on the card) and would allow you to take out more 0% money for spending or emergencies.

My credit score will suffer only a little. But I believe it will recover after 15 months which is approximately when I will need to open new cards. Also, it's good to keep a max of 2 Chase cards as they will reject you if you try to open a 4th card. So keep no more than 2 Chase cards so you have the versatility to open a 3rd if a great offer comes out! I will move the credit from the old Chase card that I recently paid off over to the Slate acct. That way I'll have a more favorable debt/credit ratio. After I do that, I'll just close out the old Chase card bringing me back to only 2 Chase accts.

I'm definitely going to close out Discover. They'll probably have a another 0% no BT Fee offer in 2013. They seem to be doing that every year between Jan-April for the past couple yrs.

rated:
Got an offer from Citi on my TY Preferred Mastercard.

Make a balance transfer by August 24 at 0% ($5 fee or 3%)

After balance transfer posts, all purchases at 0% until October 1 2013.

Seems like paying $5 isn't a bad deal to get 0% on all purchases for 15 months...

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Got an offer from Citi on my TY Preferred Mastercard.

Seems like paying $5 isn't a bad deal to get 0% on all purchases for 15 months...

should be $5 or 3% whichever is less (if you BT $100, it will be a $5 fee, $50 - $5 fee, $200 - $6 fee, $2000 - $60 fee etc).

Also, Balance transfer fees are not assessed on purchases.

rated:
imbatman said:   tjguitar85 said:   Got an offer from Citi on my TY Preferred Mastercard.

should be $5 or 3% whichever is less (if you BT $100, it will be a $5 fee, $50 - $5 fee, $200 - $6 fee, $2000 - $60 fee etc).

Also, Balance transfer fees are not assessed on purchases.

For this offer, the 0% purchase offer isn't available unless you transfer a balance, thus I need to transfer a small balance and pay $5 (or more) in order to allow a 0% purchase...

rated:
deleted-double damn post

rated:
flyalexair said:   GriffonJames said:   Question for the experts. A year or two ago, I was reading regularly about people who would contact their credit card bank asking if their rates could be reduced, and the bank would instead raise the rates. Has this behaviour largely gone away, or is it something I should still be concerned about?

Thoughts? Thanks!

wow if you dont mind me asking, how did you rack up 60k in debt?

This question contributes nothing to the conversation so get off your high horse over there. I bet you can use your imagination and come up with a couple of reasons how it happened. Ok, you can go back to being pleased with yourself now. jeez.

rated:
Does anyone know if you can use the Citi Balanse transfer checks to just write yourself a check and deposit in an ATM?

rated:
yes

rated:
I agree with solee: yes someone knows that

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Got an offer from Citi on my TY Preferred Mastercard.

DW got same offer on the TY Preferred MasterCard. The Annual Fee is coming up in August for us. Will see what type of retention offer they give & decide.

rated:
purplefetus2 said:   

My credit score will suffer only a little. But I believe it will recover after 15 months which is approximately when I will need to open new cards. Also, it's good to keep a max of 2 Chase cards as they will reject you if you try to open a 4th card. So keep no more than 2 Chase cards so you have the versatility to open a 3rd if a great offer comes out! I will move the credit from the old Chase card that I recently paid off over to the Slate acct. That way I'll have a more favorable debt/credit ratio. After I do that, I'll just close out the old Chase card bringing me back to only 2 Chase accts.

I'm definitely going to close out Discover. They'll probably have a another 0% no BT Fee offer in 2013. They seem to be doing that every year between Jan-April for the past couple yrs.

I had five Chase cards open when I successfully opened my Southwest card last Fall. Chase doesn't limit the number of cards as much as the total credit limit. That said, there's no reason not to "clean house" and keep with your strategy. I'm thinking of trying to combine my three Freedom cards (two of which they converted from other cards) just so I don't have to keep track of them anymore.

rated:
I got a targeted snail mail 0/0 BT for the discover IT card, requires 16 digit RSVP code. I signed up for offers when it was announced (last few weeks). I bet that even though it's targeted, it's probably easy to get the offer since they're heavily promoting it. Try having an e-chat with a representative if you want to try to get the offer.

rated:
Right now best credit cards from Discover with 0% APR. It all depended also on your credit score and amount you want to transfer. Sometimes you will need 2 credit cards to do balance transfer

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014