• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
scanchain said: Can anyone provide some feedback of Optionshouse's ACH speed (next day?) as well as the number of ACH links allowed? Thank you.

3 ACH links max allowed, can be linked to savings or checking accounts. If you enter an ACH transfer by 1:00 PM central time, the transfer happens the next day and you can trade on it, although it does not show up in the account activity immediately. They hold deposits for 3 business days.

mdrosophila said: Optionshouse seems cheap. But if you use to trade stocks, its filling price is always 1 cent higher than the market price.
For example, if you want to buy a stock at $10.00, your order will not be filled until the price goes to $10.01 so the brokerage can make money from you.
If your order size is 1000, your real commission is $10 + their commission;
If your order size is 10000, your real commission is $100 + their commission;
Fidelity and IB are much better than optionshouse.

to clarify, you're saying that you're paying $2.95 + 1 cent/share filler? and if you set the stock to sell at $10.00, they will not do the transaction until the price hits $10.01. what happens if the day's high is only $10.00? you still have your stock sitting there at the end of the day? i'm switching from fidelity because their fees are way too high and am thinking about scottstrade, think or swim, and optionshouse and am looking for the best brokerage to trade stocks/etfs only.

bananabear said: mdrosophila said: Optionshouse seems cheap. But if you use to trade stocks, its filling price is always 1 cent higher than the market price.
For example, if you want to buy a stock at $10.00, your order will not be filled until the price goes to $10.01 so the brokerage can make money from you.
If your order size is 1000, your real commission is $10 + their commission;
If your order size is 10000, your real commission is $100 + their commission;
Fidelity and IB are much better than optionshouse.

to clarify, you're saying that you're paying $2.95 + 1 cent/share filler? and if you set the stock to sell at $10.00, they will not do the transaction until the price hits $10.01. what happens if the day's high is only $10.00? you still have your stock sitting there at the end of the day? i'm switching from fidelity because their fees are way too high and am thinking about scottstrade, think or swim, and optionshouse and am looking for the best brokerage to trade stocks/etfs only.

Ignore that post; He's saying something which isn't true. It's 2.95 per order (for standard stock trades). Nothing more, nothing less. Call them if you have questions, as they are quite helpful on the phone.

exactly....whenever i bought an etf, i got the current ask price immediately...the transaction executed in less then 10 seconds....i never paid more then the current "going price"....there was never any delay....

Is everyone paying $2.95 fees or their are other fees tacked on? Lets assume trading $10+ stocks and $700 - $2000 per trade.

bd3521 said: Is everyone paying $2.95 fees or their are other fees tacked on? Lets assume trading $10+ stocks and $700 - $2000 per trade.

nothing tacked on for normal stock and etf trading....i pay $2.95 each time i buy and sell.....

can you do limit orders and trailing stop orders with optionshouse?
if so, do they charge?

jamesfatwallet said: can you do limit orders and trailing stop orders with optionshouse?
if so, do they charge?

yes you can and no they don't (lol)

Interesting

craig10x said: they don't get any money from the actual trade

Optionshouse, like almost all brokers, is paid for order flow. Optionshouse claims they are passing any savings on to the customer.

ACH transfers are quick. Transfers are processed the same day if submitted before 1:00 PM Central time. Incoming transfers are held three business days before available for trading, and five business days before the funds can be withdrawn.

I test drove (opening up a virtual account) Optionhouse as well and found there user interface a little hard to get used to, although once you do it's works well. What i didn't like is that they don't have real time streamer. Once you get used to a feature like a streamer, it's hard to do without. I would have missed quite a few trading opportunities without. So far I have decided to pass.

I agree that one requires streaming quotes for trading and that Optionshouse has little to offer in that area.

Nothing to stop one from opening more than one brokerage account,however, to take advantage of the strengths of each.

For example, open an Ameritrade account to access their streaming quotes, an Optionhouse account for low stock commissions and flat pricing on options (unique in the industry), and perhaps an Investrade or Just2Trade account for their very low margin rates.

With that combination, you could have free real-time streaming quotes, trade any number of option contracts for $9.95, and borrow against your portfolio at only 2.0% (1)
All have efficient ACH capabilities so funds can be transferred where needed.

(1) rate for $100,000 margin balance at Investrade

while the watch list doesn't stream on the Optionshouse trading platform, it can be instantly refreshed at any moment you like....and the quote you see when refreshed IS a real time quote..not a delayed one...so it isn't really that bad...all in all...especially when you consider the low cost for the trades....

isn't it worth "tapping a button" with your mouse...to save all that money on trades?

What about Lightspeed Trading?? It's cheap.

I have no experience with Lightspeed.

I would not call them cheap with a base rate of $0.00395 per share except,perhaps, for small orders. But even then
they tack on extra charges if the order adds liquidity (essentially a limit order). Only if the order takes liquidity (eg market orders)
and they pass on the rebate do the rates become more reasonable for larger orders.

Their advertised margin rate of 3.25% is competitive, but is only an introductory rate through the end of the year.

does optionshouse allow you to select a specific lot when selling?

Optionshouse does not apear to offer the ability to specify tax lots. There is definitely no option for that in their on-line system and customer service indicates it is not otherwise possible.

I know that Fidelity did have that capability in their order entry system.

to confirm i asked this question to a livechat person on the optionshouse website:

anon: i have a question about selling stocks. can i specify a specific lot to sell from when entering a sell order?
Kevin: you can't specify a specific lot to sell

Do they have routing isues with odd lots? Are you guys sure about tax lots? Tax lot selection is a feature of the Maxit sofware. My Foliofn brokerage lets me choose tax lots, trades are $3 while sharebuilder-like window trades are unlimited. I'm very happy with them but I'm looking for an additional margin account.

I signed up with Optionshouse and so far I do like it. However, there are additional charge with non-options stock (penny stocks). They do charge the flat rate of $2.95 plus $0.0.1 per share for stocks less than $2. And as I discovered, it really does add up.

FINE PRINT:
"For stocks priced $2.00 or less that are not options eligible, add $0.01 per share for the entire order. "

I started using OptionsHouse recently and am very happy with the performance and price. Still have a Zecco account that will be collecting dust from now on IMO.

In process of transferring Scotttrade accounts to optionhouse.. $$ savings add up..

welookgoodcom said: In process of transferring Scotttrade accounts to optionhouse.. $$ savings add up..

smart move...you will like Options House

The only thing with OptionHouse... Still trying to figure out if they allow bond buying/selling. They charge for it.. But I can't find it within their interface

welookgoodcom said: The only thing with OptionHouse... Still trying to figure out if they allow bond buying/selling. They charge for it.. But I can't find it within their interface

I looked into switching to OptionsHouse from Scottrade a while back. I didn't. IIRC, bond trades are by phone only. They don't allow it electronically.

What would get me to switch from Scottrade would be a good broker that also allows cheap bond trades (corporate and treasuries). Anybody know of one? I haven't been able to find one.

It all depends on what the individual is looking for with the brokerage (everything in one basket, separate services for trading different assets, etc). At the moment, I'm only using OH for stocks and I've been happy with the service. The customer service is excellent (never had to wait more than 1 min to get a hold of someone whether through live chat or phone), the trading research tools they offer are more than fair for their competitive commission rates. Some people mentioned about the $.01/share for penny stocks - but even so, that is still low compared to its competitors. The main thing that I would like them to improve on is the streamer on the interface. You can load their stream chart tool for live quotes, but you must load it via java. It would be great if the watchlist has a live stream so there's no need to refresh manually. Overall, I'm satisfied with their service thus far and I'd recommend it.

Until the end of the year, there's a deal (code FREE100) for 100 free commission free trades, stocks or options, within 60 days of account funding. Sounds like something that could be worth a lot to anyone who trades options in bulk. (A pass through fee does apply for index options, though.)

Just opened an OH account. Not a fan of the layout but I guess I'll take the 100 free trades...

I am now using OH for stocks and will retain TOS for mutual funds (3 free trades a month).

isnt scottrade expensive for bond trading?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.