• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I went out to a restaurant with my girlfriend the other night, and I paid for the meal using my credit card. It was a slow night, with the waiter having no other apparent customers. We had been waiting maybe 15-20 minutes for our waiter to bring us our check before we finally got up and asked another waiter what was going on. They had the waiter come out and he finally gave us our bill, and I had him put it on my credit card. I asked my girlfriend if she would cover the tip and, being a person who freely speaks her mind, she took a pile of change from her purse and tossed it on the table. Fast forwarding to the present, I checked my credit card online to discover the waiter took the liberty of adding his own tip to my credit card. It was not a significant amount, but it is a matter of principal. I agreed with her that it was poor service on the waiter's behalf, and I definitely do not believe it was in his place to commit fraud by adding a tip without my consent.

How should I handle the waiter's actions?



UPDATED - Mar/24/2009 9:15 PM:

I would like to clear a few things up. The waiter had been sitting in the back taking a break, and did not bother to have anyone cover his table. I am in the military, if I do not perform they take more of my time, my money, or in worse case... my job and any chance at a future job. The charge was the final charge, not an authorization, as Chase does not show authorizations in their online banking. I wrote $0.00 tightly together on the tip line and then wrote the total below. This was done with the full expectation my girlfriend would leave a normal tip. We have not been dating for long, so I had no idea she was going to do what she did. When I eat out on my own I ALWAYS tip 20% to the waiter/waitress, if I receive bad service or food I simply do not ever again return to the place. It is worth mentioning that I was raised by a single mother who waited tables. Another prospective people need to view this from is what if I had paid only the bill on my credit card due to my card being very close to the limit. After the unauthorized tip was added my card would have been over the limit. That would have cost me $40 or more in over the limit fees.

Based on your suggestions I have decided to speak with their corporate folks and see how things go from there. Even if it is warranted, I do not want to involve the police. I knew all along that I could dispute it with my credit card company, but that did not seem like the best course of action to me.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Call Channel 12 and tell them of your experience with the restaurant. At the minimum, maybe the place will go out of bu... (more)

Mickie3 (Apr. 23, 2009 @ 4:37p) |

Pay with a credit card at a Subway and you'll see a tipline on the receipt there, too. Any establishment giving you a re... (more)

mahlax (Apr. 23, 2009 @ 5:54p) |

1. The 97 Cent Store because it sounds cheaper, but then I'd become an activist shareholder and start lobbying the compa... (more)

mahlax (Apr. 23, 2009 @ 6:26p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You're probably the kind of person who doesn't tip anyway.

dispute

Bob45 said: I went out to a restaurant with my girlfriend the other night, and I paid for the meal using my credit card. It was a slow night, with the waiter having no other apparent customers. We had been waiting maybe 15-20 minutes for our waiter to bring us our check before we finally got up and asked another waiter what was going on. They had the waiter come out and he finally gave us our bill, and I had him put it on my credit card. I asked my girlfriend if she would cover the tip and, being a person who freely speaks her mind, she took a pile of change from her purse and tossed it on the table. Fast forwarding to the present, I checked my credit card online to discover the waiter took the liberty of adding his own tip to my credit card. It was not a significant amount, but it is a matter of principal. I agreed with her that it was poor service on the waiter's behalf, and I definitely do not believe it was in his place to commit fraud by adding a tip without my consent.

How should I handle the waiter's actions?


Contact the police. The waiter has committed a crime.

Call the manager and ask if that is the restaurant's policy.
Tell him/her what happened and see what he does.

disput. Thats double dipping. Hope it is not going to start a trend.

WashingtonState said: Call the manager and ask if that is the restaurant's policy.
Tell him/her what happened and see what he does.


Happened to me with Olive Garden in Lewisville Texas. I called the manager but he never returned my calls. Called AMEX and they credited the whole transacation and I never went back. It's been 4+ years.

Same exact thing happened a couple of years ago to me. I called the restaurant to complain. The manager was very non-commital and told me he would look into it and call me back in a few minutes. An hour later I called their corporate office to complain to them. Before I could even tell them the story the manager was already on the phone calling me back to tell me that the transaction had been reversed and the waiter had been called in and fired for changing the amount. I ended up with a $20 gift certificate from the corporate office, a free meal voucher from the local store itself, and my original bill refunded.

Bob45 said: I went out to a restaurant with my girlfriend the other night, and I paid for the meal using my credit card. It was a slow night, with the waiter having no other apparent customers. We had been waiting maybe 15-20 minutes for our waiter to bring us our check before we finally got up and asked another waiter what was going on. They had the waiter come out and he finally gave us our bill, and I had him put it on my credit card. I asked my girlfriend if she would cover the tip and, being a person who freely speaks her mind, she took a pile of change from her purse and tossed it on the table. Fast forwarding to the present, I checked my credit card online to discover the waiter took the liberty of adding his own tip to my credit card. It was not a significant amount, but it is a matter of principal. I agreed with her that it was poor service on the waiter's behalf, and I definitely do not believe it was in his place to commit fraud by adding a tip without my consent.

How should I handle the waiter's actions?



I say forget about contacting the restaurant, just call the credit card company and dispute, you'll do better this way because you'll probably get the whole amount back. The restaurant won't be able to produce a receipt showing you writing in the tip.

patsan said: Bob45 said: I went out to a restaurant with my girlfriend the other night, and I paid for the meal using my credit card. It was a slow night, with the waiter having no other apparent customers. We had been waiting maybe 15-20 minutes for our waiter to bring us our check before we finally got up and asked another waiter what was going on. They had the waiter come out and he finally gave us our bill, and I had him put it on my credit card. I asked my girlfriend if she would cover the tip and, being a person who freely speaks her mind, she took a pile of change from her purse and tossed it on the table. Fast forwarding to the present, I checked my credit card online to discover the waiter took the liberty of adding his own tip to my credit card. It was not a significant amount, but it is a matter of principal. I agreed with her that it was poor service on the waiter's behalf, and I definitely do not believe it was in his place to commit fraud by adding a tip without my consent.

How should I handle the waiter's actions?



I say forget about contacting the restaurant, just call the credit card company and dispute, you'll do better this way because you'll probably get the whole amount back. The restaurant won't be able to produce a receipt showing you writing in the tip.


While he may "do better" in the sense that he gets a free meal, a good restaurant manager would want to know about one of his employees being a douche bag. A maneuver like that will get you fired pretty quickly, so why not give the manager a chance to make it right before you use the rocket launcher approach. You lose nothing in terms of protection from the fraudulent charge, and give the owner a chance to clean house of a crappy employee.

Always scratch the tip line if you intend to leave no tip on the card (or pay tip by cash), and put $ signs in front of all numbers. Press the pen hard. As a security, make the last digit something that makes sense to you, e.g., always end it in 37, or make sure the digits add up to 9.

As a final precaution, you can always take a digital picture of the bill using your cell phone camera, and once you arrive at home, you can backup the cell phone imagine on your RAID hard drive. If that's not enough, backup tape the RAID drive, and send it to the secure facility in the Colorado Moutains. Just in case the backup tape is lost by the incompetent shipping company, make two backup tapes.

Are you looking at the final charge or at just a "pending" charge?

BofA and a few others show pending charges at their web site before the final charge comes through. Pending charges from restaurants often include an extra reserve for tips. If you didn't put a tip on the card, the final charge won't contain the tip amount.

Wait until the final charge is posted before doing anything.

NewToFatWalletUser said: You're probably the kind of person who doesn't tip anyway.

are you the waiter?

fallbird said: Are you looking at the final charge or at just a "pending" charge?

BofA and a few others show pending charges at their web site before the final charge comes through. Pending charges from restaurants often include an extra reserve for tips. If you didn't put a tip on the card, the final charge won't contain the tip amount.

Wait until the final charge is posted before doing anything.


:ditto:

Wait until the transaction is confirmed, then dispute it.

tolamapS said: Always scratch the tip line if you intend to leave no tip on the card (or pay tip by cash), and put $ signs in front of all numbers. Press the pen hard. As a security, make the last digit something that makes sense to you, e.g., always end it in 37, or make sure the digits add up to 9.

As a final precaution, you can always take a digital picture of the bill using your cell phone camera, and once you arrive at home, you can backup the cell phone imagine on your RAID hard drive. If that's not enough, backup tape the RAID drive, and send it to the secure facility in the Colorado Moutains. Just in case the backup tape is lost by the incompetent shipping company, make two backup tapes.
Boosh! Green for maximum paranoia (of which I'm a fan) and an entertaining post, to boot

there has got to be an archived thread on this

From Dionx:

At restaurants where I tip with my credit card, I like to incorporate a checksum.

For example, if my total including tip comes out to 46.85, I would round to the dollar amount, $47, then add the digits together 4 + 7 = 11, and use that sum for the cents. overall, my final total would be $47.11 and my credit card statement should reflect that. it makes it easier for me to tell if i was charged the correct amount by the restaurant.

Just dispute it with the bank of issue.

Some might call it a jerk tax.

What the waiter did is wrong, but I also don't hold much fondness for people who do passive-aggressive things like throw change on the table.

If you don't want to leave a tip don't leave a tip. If you want to make sure he understands than explain to him and then perhaps the manager that you did not enjoy the service.

Finally call the credit card company. Surely you know what to do when someone makes false charges on your credit card?

Call the restaurant's management and their corporate office. Follow up with letters. Then dispute on credit cards.

Your wife is banging the waiter, she is throwing the change at him because he did the same to her at her "place of employment".

Hey, it's been a year or so since we had a 300 page tipping thread! Here, I will help keep this one rolling with my inane tipping practices:

1. Great service, at least pleasant 20-30%+ Higher percentages on lower bills with people that try.

2. Satisfactory service 15-25% same guideline as above.

3. Crappy service 0-10%, usually with a note describing the offense written above the signature line on the charge slip.

Please describe in minute detail how and why you tip or don't tip. You get extra points if you are a frustrated waiter and can let the rest of us know what jerks we are.


germanpope said: there has got to be an archived thread on thisthere is

My advice is to get a new girlfriend.

That woman is going to cost you much more in the weeks to come.

How 'bout we start tipping the wait staff and stop trying to take advantage of every possible opportunity to "get over" by disputing this or that? Wrong as the waiter was, he wouldn't have done it if OP wasn't a cheap-d*ck (as opposed to the group Cheap Trick) and allowed his GF to leave the tip. What kinda arse has his GF leave a tip? A bit more decorum would be appreciated.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: germanpope said: there has got to be an archived thread on thisthere isgreat thread... also the origin of the "WALL OF TEXT".

Next time use cold hard cash, it`s cheaper in the long run.

The waiter was a jerk so is your girl friend.

Dispute. Problem solved.

If you're really p.o.'ed at the waiter, also inform his manager.

amannamedhorse said: Next time use cold hard cash, it`s cheaper in the long run.

A senior member that doesn't use credit cards with rewards? Tsk tsk.

LawrenceofArabia said: Your wife is banging the waiter, she is throwing the change at him because he did the same to her at her "place of employment".

He made it hail?

What happened to the days, where the waiter would just spit in your food?

SUCKISSTAPLES said: germanpope said: there has got to be an archived thread on thisthere is

There are several, but I'll reiterate something key.

Call the restaurant first, most managers will make things right very quickly.

If the manager does not provide satisfaction, then dispute.

When you dispute, dispute the entire charge, not just the tip amount. Don't even mention the tip issue, just dispute it as an unauthorized charge.

If you dispute just the tip amount, the CC will credit your account and never request verification from the merchant. They will keep the money and never know you disputed.

If you dispute the entire amount, the CC will definitely follow through with the merchant and he'll have to either let it go, or cough up an altered receipt (you did write in the total on the receipt and scratch out the tip line, right?)

Dispute the charge and leave the poor SOB alone. You're gf sounds like a class act. Personally if I were the waiter, you would have felt several round metal object bounce off the back of your head on the way out the door.

VerbalK said: Dispute the charge and leave the poor SOB alone. You're gf sounds like a class act. Personally if I were the waiter, you would have felt several round metal object bounce off the back of your head on the way out the door.

A tip is EXTRA. If the waiter did a crappy job, why should get get a good reward?

It worked for AIG.

musicmaster said: VerbalK said: Dispute the charge and leave the poor SOB alone. You're gf sounds like a class act. Personally if I were the waiter, you would have felt several round metal object bounce off the back of your head on the way out the door.

A tip is EXTRA. If the waiter did a crappy job, why should get get a good reward?


And an personal insult at my place of work deserves a punch in the face where I come from. And when it comes from some stuck up chick, the bf deserves two punches.

I'm not going to get into the argument about wheter a tip is assumed or extra... it doesn't matter to me in the case. The OP was wrong for being insulting to a service industry worker who I bet puts in more hours for less pay than most people in society.... and the waiter was wrong for uptipping. Dispute the charge and move on... why start some holy war to get a guy who likely had a bad night fired.

VerbalK said: why start some holy war to get a guy who likely had a bad night fired.

Um, because the guy who "had a bad night" stole from the OP. Was that a trick question?

Skipping 242 Messages...
Kingofthenet said: qcumber98 said: Kingofthenet said: I LOVE discussions like this, sorta reminds me of the Superman discussions I had as a child. I was all like, The dude can catch a bullet in his hand but trips over a fireplace in #2? Or he can drill himself through solid rock to the center of the earth, but a thrown man hole cover stuns him? shouldn't it shatter on his chest? He is supposed to be so good yet Metropolis has a lot of homeless people, why not crush a few pieces of coal into Diamond and give them to the poor?

Wow, as a kid, you were over-analyzing comic books? I was lucky if I got to read my friend's back issues of "Nintendo Power".


You should try it when you have some friends over and are getting stewed.You need a good topic, so here are a few:

Which would be better store to hold up? the the 97 cent store or Dollar World? you could make legitimate arguments for both, as the 97 cent store 'might' do better business being cheaper thus taking in more cash, on the other hand Dollar World is making more per sale.

Which would you pick: to be Super Lucky or Super Skilled, Why?

What Disgusting/Embarrassing thing would you do for the LEAST amount of money(Most people frame this question the other way and that is boring)

You witnessed a 'Murder' but also saw where the Murderer hid 1 million in untraceable old cash. The only way you could keep the cash is if you let the Murderer skate? What do you Do?(the murder victim can alternately be a stranger/someone you hate or someone who you like)

You see a drug plan drop a bail of drugs(Coke) and cash? Do you take the drugs and cash or just the cash or turn it all in? IF you went for both what would you do with the 50 kilos of coke?

If you are a guy, and have you buddies over you could do the which would you rather be? Ultra handsome and hung like a mouse( and a lousy lay) Ugly and hung like a horse(and a great lover), or rich but impotent?
1. The 97 Cent Store because it sounds cheaper, but then I'd become an activist shareholder and start lobbying the company to charge hidden fees to pocket a profit.

2. Super Skilled over Super Lucky because I'm a girl and, sad to say ... it's all too easy for a girl to get lucky.

3. I'd turn the money in and have the murderer collared if the victim was a stranger. If it was my coworker Shaun though I'd take the money and let the killer skate. I really can't stand that dude.

4. Most disgusting for least $ ... hmmm ... I would lick the floor at my unkempt workplace for $20.

5. I would take the cocaine AND the cash. Turn the cash into gold to hide under my mattress because of the coming financial collapse ... as for the coke, I'd cut it with massive amounts of baking soda and sell it at a premium. Cocaine is of very poor quality in my state (I'm told), so I could probably throw in a LOT of the old Arm & Hammer while still marketing a 'premium' product.

6. I'm not a male, but just throwing it out here ... as a girl, all three of those options are kinda unappealing ... been there and done that.

Guy #1 is so hung up on being hung like a mouse that he is, for mental reasons alone, a lousy lay. Guy #2 really believes he's 'a great lover' ... but all he really means is he's 'hung like a horse.' Guy #3, meanwhile, is not only impotent but thinks his riches ought totally compensate for his sexual unavailability -- as though a woman's only desire for satisfaction regards her Nordstrom charge card, billed to hubby.

What ever happened to the decently (not spectacularly) hung guy who's an able lover AND can pay his half of the bills? Oh yeah ... there's a couple of them out there still, and I'm lucky enough to be with one ...



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014