• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
While driving on a highway, a rock hit my windshield. There is a small crack, but i am scare that it might grow in size. If i file with my Wawanesa insurance will my insurance rates go up for that claim? Will other insurances see it and raise my insurance rate if i ever decide to pick another insurance carrier?

I did my homework on Wawanesa Insurance website:

Q:A rock hit my windshield. If I put in a claim will my policy premium go up?

A:No, there is no increase in premiums charged due to any Comprehensive coverage related claims.

Although the answer is stated there, does anyone have any experience to share with me? I don't understand why my premium wouldn't go up for this....

Thx guys and gals!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This made me think of something I've always wondered about. Dump trucks always have those signs on the back that says n... (more)

largeeyes (Apr. 02, 2009 @ 12:08p) |

I am confused. You had the answer, and you had it before you posted here. Are you looking for the Q/A on the site that s... (more)

billrubin (Apr. 02, 2009 @ 12:47p) |

Preserved.

LawrenceofArabia (Apr. 02, 2009 @ 12:51p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

A lot of insurance companies will gladly fix a crack in the windshield for free because they consider it pre-emptive action. They'd rather spend the couple bucks now than have to replace the whole thing later.

If you have comprehensive, I wouldn't worry about it. Call

Sorry, I don't have experience with an insurance claim like this, but for the other part of the research, you should find out what the repair cost would be without insurance. I have an old car (no comp coverage) and had a crack too big for patching, but was still surprised at how cheap it was to replace the whole windshield. Convenient too, they came to me.

If you're worried about future insurance impact to it, you should find out how much is at stake now.

If you really don't trust the website for some reason, you can always just call up and ask if it will have any effect on your premium before actually putting in an official claim. Another thing to think about is that unless you have a low deductible or a full windshield coverage comprehensive policy the cost to replace/repair the windshield will likely be less then your deductible. At any rate, since it is small now I would go and just get it filled in at a place that does windshield repair. It is fairly cheap to do, and while it won't get rid of the crack, it will keep it from spreading.

Another FWF car insurance question. Can we get a car insurance forum?!?!?!?

EDIT: Whats up with the save typos???

OP the 1st question to answer is what is your deductible-$250, 500 or higher?
Most likely, the replacement will not exceed your deductible (which is the amount you would have to pay) and the insurance company will not pay anything any way.

Also I agree with another poster who says that repair is fairly inexpensive and will save you from the expense of totally replacing the windshield, which will surely come completely out of your pocket.

Little claims like that are better taken care of on your end and use your insurance for major damages where you could not pay.

What state do you live in? Some states have special laws relating to car windshields.

Again, I've never made the claim, but local windshield repair places advertise that insurance usually covers these repairs with no deductible. It may be a special case.

But for replacing my entire windshield, I think it cost under $150, parts and labor. I did have to call local providers directly, web searches only returned a variety of referral front-ends, that looked like they may have all been from the same outfit, that charged roughly double that.

pay for it out of pocket man.

progressive does it for free. then the next bill i got said "windshield repair" as one of the reasons for the rate along next to a ticket.

just saying how progressive rolls.

progressive covered my recent windshield repair (not replacement) with no deductible. also no increase to insurance.

i think it depends on your insurance company - so you should call them and ask.

Presuming you have full glass coverage, you could wait until the crack gets big enough to make them replace the whole thing (Bigger than a dollar bill according to the commercials I hear). Depending on how old the car is, it might be a good idea to do. As you drive along, your car gets hit with all kinds of stuff and that can cause micro-pits in the glass, causing it to look dirty and glare in direct sunlight. If they just fill your crack, you still have to look at the pitted glass all the time. I'd probably wait until it spreads and get a new windshield. Also, if your car is newer and you have anything like auto-sensing whipers or something like that, go through a company that uses OEM glass. Non-oem glass can messs up that stuff.

rigor said: pay for it out of pocket man.

progressive does it for free. then the next bill i got said "windshield repair" as one of the reasons for the rate along next to a ticket.

just saying how progressive rolls.

Over the past 10+ years, Progressive has bought me two windshields. No deductible, No increase in premium (Illinois). As said above, laws vary based on state.

Did you by chance where the rock came from?

This same thing happen to me a few years ago. I was on a side road following one of those big trucks that carry equipment on it. The flatbed or whatever it's called had mud/dirt & pebbles on it. One of the pebbles flew off and hit my windshield putting a crack in it. Yeah, I know you don't follow them. Anyway I was mad. The name of the trucking company was on the side of door so I rang it to tell them to keep their trucks clean, yadda, yadda. (I was specific in my local, time, etc. so they knew I was there.) They told me to get an estimate to replace/fix it. I got three estimates for a replacement, sent it to them.....next thing I know there is a check in my mailbox.

I'd try to avoid filing an insurance claim. Fixing it with a filler or whatever shouldn't cost much.

If you have glass buy back on your policy than you should be good to go. But I wounld wait about a week see if it grows. If you have glass buy back than you don't have to pay a dime. Call your agent see what they say. This happen to me twice and I still don't have a problem with the rates going up.

Maybe it's the end of a long day, but I think asking a question that the OP then answers by quoting from the insurance company's website in the hopes that maybe some anonymous internet strangers might be more authoritative is either ridiculously stupid or simple trolling.

mrgamers said: Will other insurances see it and raise my insurance rate if i ever decide to pick another insurance carrier?Yes. As a matter of fact, the simple fact that you posted this question anonymously on an internet forum means that you will never be able to get affordable insurance again. I won't be surprised if your insurer hires an assassin to take you out before you have a chance to file a claim.

However, if anyone is interested in a serious response, then no, Comprehensive claims don't result in rate increases for auto insurance. The reason is that Comprehensive claims generally insure against things that the policy holder has no control over. Theft, vandalism, and hail damage are all Comprehensive claims. If a person filed multiple Comprehensive claims over a short period of time, it is possible that the insurer might not renew that person's policy. But that's a worse case scenario and would require some exceptionally bad luck or suspicion of fraud by the insurer.

I have 2 nicks in my windshield and tried to find a repair place, but could fine none. And one guy said no one does repairs anymore, only replacements. Maybe a replacement is so cheap (150?) that spending $50 to repair isn't worth it.

Anyways, fast forward 4 years from the first nick and 2 years from the second nick, and neither has gotten any bigger.

What the ins. co. will pay depends on your coverage. With out policy, glass coverage is separate from comprehensive.

On one of our cars, there was a small nick in the window from a rock thrown up by a truck. During a very cold day this winter, a 20" crack appeared in the windshield, starting at that nick. I'm convinced that the nick disrupted the windshield enough to allow the crack to form.

Our glass coverage paid for the full replacement, no deductible, even though I have a fairly high deductible on both collision and comprehensive.

I bought fix-a-windshield epoxy at Wal-Mart for like $8 and fixed my cracked windshield. You can't even tell where the original crack was. So easy!

dawndelion said: I bought fix-a-windshield epoxy at Wal-Mart for like $8 and fixed my cracked windshield. You can't even tell where the original crack was. So easy!

I know a guy who works out of a full service car wash place that does this using this along with razors and suction cups the whole nine. My brother's windshield had a 3 inch crack with a pretty decent sized chip at one end, called up this guy and 20 minutes and $30 later you could see a hint of where the chip was and no crack at all.

Whatever you do, get it taken car of asap because cracks can spread rapidly and you might have to replace the entire windshield.

BTW: whoever came up with this April fools vowel replacement is a moron. It's not funny.

Just fix it with a repair kit for $10. If you procrastinate on this one, even for a couple of days, it will start to spread.

Sue the rock.

Happened to me twice..one on my car and one on my renatl car..both times AAA my auto insurance company paid in full for replacement..it was covered under comprehensive and does not increase your premium.

We had a chipped windshield and we were going to fix it. It cracked all over the place before I could get it fixed.

good luck having your review mirror stay on with a replacement windsheild...

Cracks spread!

This made me think of something I've always wondered about. Dump trucks always have those signs on the back that says not responsible for windshields. How is that possible when they are tossing rocks at you? Let alone the ones that say stay back 200 or 300 feet, but are completely unreadable from that distance.

mrgamers said: A:No, there is no increase in premiums charged due to any Comprehensive coverage related claims.
I am confused. You had the answer, and you had it before you posted here. Are you looking for the Q/A on the site that says "No, really, will there be an increase in my rates if I file a glass claim?".

Also, even if did impact you negatively, it would be your choice whether to file the claim or not once they gave you this information. It's not like an accident with another party where you have to report it to them.

Xnarg said: What the ins. co. will pay depends on your coverage. With out policy, glass coverage is separate from comprehensive.

On one of our cars, there was a small nick in the window from a rock thrown up by a truck. During a very cold day this winter, a 20" crack appeared in the windshield, starting at that nick. I'm convinced that the nick disrupted the windshield enough to allow the crack to form.

Our glass coverage paid for the full replacement, no deductible, even though I have a fairly high deductible on both collision and comprehensive.

Preserved.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014