• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
First, a little known secret is that you can join AARP at any age. This is called an "associate membership" when under 50, and it only costs $12.50. Supposedly, membership benefits are limited in some respects, but I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries are. See here for article

I joined AARP as an "associate member" (I'm 24 years old) last year in order to get thier, at the time, high savings rate for aarpsavings.com. My year membership has expired and they are asking me to renew for $12.50. I don't mind paying to renew, but I'm wondering if there are benefits to this membership that I'm not aware of, or if anyone here has used AARP membership in the past for a particular benefit that might be worth looking into?

While this is only an "associate member" package (for those under 50), I haven't found anything that I don't get full membership benefits to yet and am trying to find things I should look into.

Is there anything particular through AARP that people here have taken advantage of?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Husband recently used their Delta Dental Plan which is very good and better than our local Delta plan via HDS. He quit the plan within 30 days since he didn't need any work done, and paid for only one month. But he got an exam, xray and cleaning done that saved over $300. He only paid for fluride treatment which wasn't covered. The penalty is you can't rejoin the plan for a year.

I also joined for the AARP savings rate last year, and will let my membership lapse as I usually do. I join only when we need a benefit.

I'm an under-50 associate member. The hotel discounts sometimes require AARP card only, others say they will check age. Since I'm a AAA member anyways, I usually use that discount, which runs about the same.

Can you get a gold's gym membership with it?

At Del Boca Vista, you get free cookies at condo board meetings.

lray said: Can you get a gold's gym membership with it?I was considering trying that this summer to see if it works for the associate membership:

Join Gold's Gym for only $49 Up to $100 off the Normal Enrollment Fee. Plus Save Up to 20% Off Monthly Membership Costs.

Still, I'd only want to be a member for 2 months, and thats too expensive, plus my employer is supposedly providing access to another gym.

Hmm, I didn't know you could do this (join if you are younger than retirement age). Thanks for pointing it out.

I am 33 years old and as an AARP member, I get free invites to Early Bird dinners. But I usually order off the seniors menu and get the senior discount wherever I can. Retirement will be a smooth transition for me.

I will be taking a honeymoon later this year, and was seriously considering Sandals (not sure which island though).
One of the few discounts I see is through AARP, and they offer $50 resort credit per room when you book a Concierge Room category, $125 resort credit per room when you book a Butler Room category, and 10% off other services, with the only catch being 7 nights or more.
http://www.sandals.com/aarp/aarp.cfm

$12.50 membership to save $350-875 on the room is a good deal IMO. However, we may only stay 5 nights, so it wouldn't be worth joining.
P.S. If anyone else knows anything that offers Sandals discounts, please PM me and let me know

Over winter, Every Day Savings center (eligible for AARP members) had some good contests (basically first 500 clicks get a swee coupon) including $500 off $1000 purchase and $100 off $200 purchase at Sony Style. I won the $100 off and used it for a cheap GPS. Every Day Savings seems to have a % off a lot of other purchases every day that often is greater than FW Cash Back. I think around Christmas they had 7% off Dell purchases, but I'm not seeing that now.

http://products.aarp.org/discounts/retail/everday_savings/

How are you getting the $12.50 a year? I'd almost pay $12.50 just for the novelty of having an AARP card.

U.S.
5 Years for $63.00 ($12.60/yr)
3 Years for $43.00 ($14.33/yr)
1 Year for $16.00 ($16.00/yr)

International
Canada, 1 Year/US$17
Mexico, 1 Year/US$17
Other Countries, 1 Year/US$28

tooshy said: Husband recently used their Delta Dental Plan which is very good and better than our local Delta plan via HDS. He quit the plan within 30 days since he didn't need any work done, and paid for only one month. But he got an exam, xray and cleaning done that saved over $300. He only paid for fluride treatment which wasn't covered. The penalty is you can't rejoin the plan for a year.

I also joined for the AARP savings rate last year, and will let my membership lapse as I usually do. I join only when we need a benefit.
I tried getting a dental quote, and got the error message: "You must be 50 or over to be eligible for our insurance plans."

BiomedGeek said: How are you getting the $12.50 a year? I'd almost pay $12.50 just for the novelty of having an AARP card.

U.S.
5 Years for $63.00 ($12.60/yr)
3 Years for $43.00 ($14.33/yr)
1 Year for $16.00 ($16.00/yr)

International
Canada, 1 Year/US$17
Mexico, 1 Year/US$17
Other Countries, 1 Year/US$28
Those prices online I think are for the 50+ membership, and I'm not finding the associate membership online. Try calling them and asking if you can do it over the phone for $12.50 for the associate membership (that is how I got it in the first place). I recieved a renewal offer also for $12.50 for one year, cheaper if more years chosen, just recently.

I am over 50 and so is my dh. We have all of our automobile insurance and our homeowners ins through them. Hartford is who it is with. We saved a lot and got better coverage than we had with State Farm. HTH

Same here re: auto insurance. We saved a lot by canceling Farmers insurance to join the AARP Hartford plans and also ended up with better coverage.

kamalktk said: At Del Boca Vista, you get free cookies at condo board meetings.

Who cares because theres no more condos in all of Del Beca Vista, they are all taken

Discounts on white shoes and belts?

tripleB said: kamalktk said: At Del Boca Vista, you get free cookies at condo board meetings.

Who cares because theres no more condos in all of Del Beca Vista, they are all taken

You're telling me there isn't one condo available in all of Del Boca Vista?

qcumber98 said: I am 33 years old and as an AARP member, I get free invites to Early Bird dinners. But I usually order off the seniors menu and get the senior discount wherever I can. Retirement will be a smooth transition for me. But the younger you are when you join, the higher your pants will be hiked up when you reach retirement.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014