USPS lost my Tax return

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
HELP ! It looks like the Postal Service has lost my Federal tax return. The check which I sent in last week (I owed money to the IRS) was still not been encashed (it's been 9 days since I mailed it). Luckily I had sent the return by Certified Mail. When I check the status on USPS online, it just says Package was Accepted on April 13th, 2009.
Should I go to the Post Office where I mailed it to have them investigate ? Or should I call the IRS ? In either case, I guess I have to file a new return (with a penalty for being late) ?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It's not necessarily the fault of the USPS.

Normally, the USPS sorts out accountable mail (like Certified Mail) and the c... (more)

fallbird (May. 19, 2009 @ 8:20p) |

It may not be the fault of the USPS, but such issues are inherent with the USPS. In comparison, tracking w/ Fedex and U... (more)

Xnarg (May. 19, 2009 @ 8:48p) |

The USPS does not provide any official tracking service other than for Express Mail.
The other services may occasional pr... (more)

fallbird (May. 19, 2009 @ 8:56p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

from a senior member.....serious?????

it can take a few days to a few weeks for them to steal your money so give them time don't worry it will come.

also since you registered it you can prove mailing and that they got it. should give you security in case they try to screw you

koblu said: The check which I sent in last week (I owed money to the IRS) was still not been encashed (it's been 9 days since I mailed it).

Only if you were entitled to a refund, then you would be "encashed".

Is this real?

kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

it can take a few days to a few weeks for them to steal your money so give them time don't worry it will come.

also since you registered it you can prove mailing and that they got it. should give you security in case they try to screw you

Seriously - what's the connection with being a senior member and being in such a situation and asking for help ? A lot of people could be in the same boat and if any helpful advice is given here, they could benefit from it.

koblu said: kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

Seriously - what's the connection with being a senior member and being in such a situation and asking for help ? A lot of people could be in the same boat and if any helpful advice is given here, they could benefit from it.

Really! Some people just take the senior thing too seriously...

Jobbes said: koblu said: kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

exactly... senior to what?

I had the misfortune of being in my local post office on April 13th. Hearing all the people wanting to "make sure" their return gets delivered. The clerks were telling people that the IRS "does not have the manpower" to scan receipt of all the returns that are sent to them this time of year. If you send it certified and it never gets there, the IRS will allow you to resend the return without a problem if you show proof of shipment via Certification.

BTW, my check didn't clear for 14 days. My state one only too 7 days.

Why do you care if you have a receipt showing you mailed it on time?

a senior member who spends 99.9% time in the wrong forum?

Could it be a conspiracy by USPS and the IRS to stick it to the man? By man I mean you, Koblu.

I've had tax checks cashed 10 days after the due date even though they received the tax return on time. Don't worry, it's a government agency. FWIW, I've also heard of checks being cashed the same day they were mailed, after the IRS opened the mail in the origin city rather than waiting until it reached the destination!

myf16 said: I've had tax checks cashed 10 days after the due date even though they received the tax return on time. Don't worry, it's a government agency. FWIW, I've also heard of checks being cashed the same day they were mailed, after the IRS opened the mail in the origin city rather than waiting until it reached the destination!

Maybe that was when interest rates were higher and they could get a better return on their loot? With interest rates close to zero, they have less incentive to increase staffing and cash checks quickly.

Excellent post by the way, you inspired me to sort posts by Rating.

You are correct to worry. My IRS check was cashed 32 seconds after receipt. They need the money so its almost certain your return was thrown in the trash by mistake.

beltme said: I had the misfortune of being in my local post office on April 13th. Hearing all the people wanting to "make sure" their return gets delivered. The clerks were telling people that the IRS "does not have the manpower" to scan receipt of all the returns that are sent to them this time of year. If you send it certified and it never gets there, the IRS will allow you to resend the return without a problem if you show proof of shipment via Certification.

BTW, my check didn't clear for 14 days. My state one only too 7 days.

No wonder we are in trouble....

I got my state refund 3 days after submitting my return online. Got federal refund 8 days after submission. The DANG IRS is paying OUT money faster than they are taking it in!

*That's a joke. And for all the naysayers about me getting a refund... its the first time in years... and even so, BOTH refunds were minimal!*

nucor said: Jobbes said: koblu said: kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

Well for starters...You Bitch!..............................

Title should be, "Tax payment check hasn't cleared 9 days after mailing."

OP has no reason to claim that USPS lost his return.

Kingofthenet said: nucor said: Jobbes said: koblu said: kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

Well for starters...You Bitch!..............................

your name tells it all!

Send them a new check every day until one is posted. That way you know it worked. Best of luck to you.

Hmm, File earlier and get confirmation of receipt for free?

Or efile and do direct debit.

looks like debtors prison for you

Time for PMITAP OP!

To follow my lead from a previous thread:

"Send cash immediately."

We would appreciate to encash your check.

Thank you! Come again!

Send the check to me and I will be sure to cash it promptly..

Seriously, you hallway monitor. Koblu asked a legit question, it does not matter how long he has been a member of this site.... a question is a question. Get your panties out of bunches.

GQUnknown said: kloakndaggers said: from a senior member.....serious?????

Seriously, you hallway monitor. Koblu asked a legit question, it does not matter how long he has been a member of this site.... a question is a question. Get your panties out of bunches.
And his legitimate question was? Whether he should have the post office investigate the package that they lost by delivering on April 13?

As long as you have proof of mailing, I 'd consider it a blessing

Actually, the government got your return fine. What they're doing is waiting until the funds in your account go below the amount of the check...so they can charge you an NSF fee.

Every little bit helps these days. Last year, the IRS calculated that after 39 days most tax scofflaws believed that the IRS "forgot" about the check and started spending...garnering tens of millions of dollars of NSF fees and interest for the IRS.

Next time, send cash. That way the government has no excuses!

NM

A number of years back, I met our local postmaster and she told me that the USPS loss rate was less than one tenth of one percent - no more than one in one thousand items that are mailed are lost. The vast majority of those that are lost are not deliverable because the address label has fallen off, leaving no means to identify where the item should be delivered. Thus, when someone claims "it must have been lost in the mail," it is more than 99.9% certain that he or she is, shall we say, being less than candid.

^accepted by the usps just means that the USPS has it not that it was actually delivered

In any case, you mailed it in time, and have proof, so if they balk tell the IRS to pound sand

lousygolfer said: A number of years back, I met our local postmaster and she told me that the USPS loss rate was less than one tenth of one percent - no more than one in one thousand items that are mailed are lost. The vast majority of those that are lost are not deliverable because the address label has fallen off, leaving no means to identify where the item should be delivered. Thus, when someone claims "it must have been lost in the mail," it is more than 99.9% certain that he or she is, shall we say, being less than candid.
I think your postmaster was kidding himself.

I dont believe those postmaster numbers. I used to run an online business that shipped a lot. USPS lost packages more than 2% of the time. It got to the point where we had to stop using USPS.

Also, in my neighborhood, we had a delivery moron who would misdeliver the mail more than half of the time. I filed about 10 complaints and they did nothing about it. We eventually had to get a PO Box so that we could get our mail.

riznick said: lousygolfer said: A number of years back, I met our local postmaster and she told me that the USPS loss rate was less than one tenth of one percent - no more than one in one thousand items that are mailed are lost. The vast majority of those that are lost are not deliverable because the address label has fallen off, leaving no means to identify where the item should be delivered. Thus, when someone claims "it must have been lost in the mail," it is more than 99.9% certain that he or she is, shall we say, being less than candid.I think your postmaster was kidding himself.

I dont believe those postmaster numbers. I used to run an online business that shipped a lot. USPS lost packages more than 2% of the time. It got to the point where we had to stop using USPS.

Also, in my neighborhood, we had a delivery moron who would misdeliver the mail more than half of the time. I filed about 10 complaints and they did nothing about it. We eventually had to get a PO Box so that we could get our mail.
Either you must have had very bad luck or somehow the PO loses 1.3 million pieces of mail every day (667 million * 2%).

Hard to believe there hasn't been a congressional investigation!

mannyv said: Actually, the government got your return fine. What they're doing is waiting until the funds in your account go below the amount of the check...so they can charge you an NSF fee.

Every little bit helps these days. Last year, the IRS calculated that after 39 days most tax scofflaws believed that the IRS "forgot" about the check and started spending...garnering tens of millions of dollars of NSF fees and interest for the IRS.

Next time, send cash. That way the government has no excuses!

You forgot to mention that all cash should be wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent tracking

jaimelobo said: riznick said: lousygolfer said: A number of years back, I met our local postmaster and she told me that the USPS loss rate was less than one tenth of one percent - no more than one in one thousand items that are mailed are lost. The vast majority of those that are lost are not deliverable because the address label has fallen off, leaving no means to identify where the item should be delivered. Thus, when someone claims "it must have been lost in the mail," it is more than 99.9% certain that he or she is, shall we say, being less than candid.I think your postmaster was kidding himself.

Either you must have had very bad luck or somehow the PO loses 1.3 million pieces of mail every day (667 million * 2%).

Hard to believe there hasn't been a congressional investigation!

You never know. Whatever the case, things have been very unacceptable.

I will say, that my mail improved significantly when I switched to the PO box.

The only problem with the PO box is that my PO box number is 1 digit off of the blockbuster PO number. When I was using blockbuster online about half of my movies wouldnt arrive. They would just dump them in the blockbuster bin. Blockbuster needs to make the difference between a return jacket and a send jacket slightly more obvious. Never had a problem with Netflix.

jaimelobo said: ...Hard to believe there hasn't been a congressional investigation!They're reserved for usage when there is political advantage to be gained, not for actually addressing real issues or on any situation which may reflect negatively on big government.

A co-worker sent his return via certified mail last year at the extension deadline and it never got scanned at delivery. However, they did get his return as he received his refund. He recently (finally) went back to the post office to request a refund for the certified mail service and they claimed that they do not issue refunds for that. Strange, since the USPS refund form has a space for service not delivered, with certified mail being one of the examples.

Skipping 21 Messages...
Xnarg said: fallbird said: ...It's not necessarily the fault of the USPS...It may not be the fault of the USPS, but such issues are inherent with the USPS. In comparison, tracking w/ Fedex and UPS is far superior.

If you pay the USPS for tracking, go online to check on the status, and can't see any change for weeks (or never), then something is wrong.

The USPS was dragged kicking and screaming by the other carriers into providing a modicum of tracking.

The USPS does not provide any official tracking service other than for Express Mail.
The other services may occasional produce some scans here or there, but it's not official, not advertised, and not guaranteed. Delivery Confirmation, for example, is only promises to confirm delivery, not anything along the way. Yes, they should have been able to verify final delivery of Certified Mail if it occurred and if they can't, the mailer didn't get what they paid for. But progress scans are not part of the service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.