Received NetSpend card in mail?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Today I received a NetSpend Visa card in my name in the mail that was sent to my old address that I hadn't used in awhile. Apparently it's one of those ripoff prepaid debit cards where they will charge you exorbitant fees just for using the card. They also appear to have an option to setup your direct deposit with them...but they didn't have any information about me beyond my name and address.

However, I had never heard of this company and received the card completely unsolicited. Has anyone received one of these before? Is this just what the prepaid debit companies are doing these days to try to recruit customers...or do I have something to worry about?

Thanks

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes, I also received a NetSpend Visa card within the past week. I too am completely unfamiliar with who and what about this "NetSpend Visa card" program. After reading the material, I decided that it is a scam and is just trying to make money and rip-off unsuspecting users. My advice is to not get involved and just cut up the card.

I'm pretty sure its illegal for credit card companies to send you unsolicited credit cards. Did they do a hard inq on your credit report? If so, you might be entitled to damages.

It's a prepaid card, but the fees are ridiculous. They probably sent it to you hoping you would put money on it an pay their crazy fees. Just cut it up (unless they preloaded some cash on it, then you can use it). I got one as a gift and just used it to pay part of my wireless bill online, then cut it up.

ceobeaver said: I'm pretty sure its illegal for credit card companies to send you unsolicited credit cardsIt is not a credit card

ceobeaver said: I'm pretty sure its illegal for credit card companies to send you unsolicited credit cards. Did they do a hard inq on your credit report? If so, you might be entitled to damages.

I hope they make illegal to reply to threads without reading OP.....

I got the same thing from a different "provider". I just cut it up and shredded the papers.

my girlfriend got one last week. Just put it in the shredder

Wow, my wife got one of these in the mail today and I understand that this is not a credit card -- but to get a fully functional "debit" card in the mail that you did not ask for just doesn't sit right with me. I will of course shred it -- but before that point I was thinking it was for a rebate I mailed out or something. Once I found out it was unsolicited I wasn't very happy (what if someone else had got this card, could there be some possible damage and more importantly it has now wasted around 20 minutes of my life.)

surfsidebeach said: I was thinking it was for a rebate I mailed out or something.I thought the same thing, until I saw this post.

I intend to check with my state corporation commission about unsolicited cards. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure congress passed a federal law forbidding ANY credit-type card, to include debit cards, from being "blind mailed," unsolicited, a few years ago. If so I will be taking both criminal and civil action against "Netspend." I do not appreciate an unsecure Visa card, with my name on it, being mailed to me without my knowledge or consent. Anyone could have gotten their hands on it, activated it and ran up a balance in my name All it would take is finding a merchant who runs old fashioned type credit purchases which do not post for a day or two. Yes, they still exist too. I make a purchase at one every Sunday afternoon. Bottom line, I will not let this "just drop."

I understand the frustration, but wouldn't they have had to open your mail, activate the card AND put money on it before they could spend anything? I've always believed that these prepaid cards are always automatically declined if the amount charged exceeds the balance by any amount, ie, it can't go even $.01 negative. Is that right?

Considering that, what's the difference between this and any random company, let's say Starbucks, sending out millions of gift cards with $0 balances. It's the same idea. These are not credit cards.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014