USPS Insurance Claim

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone had to make an insurance claim with the USPS, most specifically for a lost/missing package?

I mailed a package (2 Dozen Pro V1 golf balls) to a friend of mine as a thank you for some recent help. Given that the balls were $45 a dozen, I decided to insure them. Of course they never show up. I wait the 21 days and file the claim online, submitting copies of the receipts and other requirements. 3 days later the claim is denied saying that "USPS records indicate package was delivered"

I have the right to appeal, which I definitely will, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. It basically seems to be my word against USPS so I am sure I am F'd.

All the appeal asks for is why your case should be appealed. I don't have any information other than to say that:

It's possible the package was delivered to the wrong address and marked as delivered.

Postman scanned the package as delivered and then stole it.

USPS system is wrong.

Should I even make these accusations/possibilities or what?

My guess is that it was delivered to the wrong address as he lives in a single family home in a relatively affluent area so I don't see it being stolen off his front porch, which I think is NOT covered by insurance.

Any personal experiences/advice before I submit the appeal?

Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I received payment for my claim from USPS just a month ago very promptly. I bought a scanner from eBay, which was shippe... (more)

aks2000 (Jun. 24, 2009 @ 11:55p) |

Green for explaining exactly why we should not use the USPS insurance. There are at least 4 things in your statements t... (more)

dmlavigne1 (Jun. 25, 2009 @ 9:18p) |

Same here, I mailed an iPhone (sold for $200). It wasn't delivered, and the Delivery Confirmation record showed it as s... (more)

Javi2 (Jun. 26, 2009 @ 11:20a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I donno. Why didn't you raise the issue as soon as the package was missing? It could just be it went to the next door or the wrong office. Now the mailman probably won't remember anything about this particular package. Good luck w/ your claim.

The USPS Insurance is a scam - I'm not aware of anyone who received a single dime for insured package issues. Learned that lesson early.
Forget Insurance - your first line of defense is Tracking. Second and more effective (and expensive) is Signature Required.
(I ship approx. 400 packages/year).

you could always file a small claims case if the appeal does not go through. I would.

you might try calling some higher ups at the USPS - or even try your congressional office (and ask their advice, on what the next steps should be.)

scotto777 said: Has anyone had to make an insurance claim with the USPS, most specifically for a lost/missing package?

I mailed a package (2 Dozen Pro V1 golf balls) to a friend of mine as a thank you for some recent help. Given that the balls were $45 a dozen, I decided to insure them. Of course they never show up. I wait the 21 days and file the claim online, submitting copies of the receipts and other requirements. 3 days later the claim is denied saying that "USPS records indicate package was delivered"

I have the right to appeal, which I definitely will, but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. It basically seems to be my word against USPS so I am sure I am F'd.

All the appeal asks for is why your case should be appealed. I don't have any information other than to say that:

It's possible the package was delivered to the wrong address and marked as delivered.

Postman scanned the package as delivered and then stole it.

USPS system is wrong.

Should I even make these accusations/possibilities or what?

My guess is that it was delivered to the wrong address as he lives in a single family home in a relatively affluent area so I don't see it being stolen off his front porch, which I think is NOT covered by insurance.

Any personal experiences/advice before I submit the appeal?

Thanks

I've had this happen before. You're probably going to have to sue them in small claims court. Thankfully for us, Congress has waived sovereign immunity for the USPS, so you can sue them the same way you can sue any company.

Just remember what happened to Jerry when he tried to comment USPS fraud, Newmann was all over him.

Kramer said it best: It's all a write off, they write off everything.

But, your balls are most likely lost now.

You should always put signature confirmation on insured mail under $250. If it is above that, USPS requires a signature anyway. But without a signature, it pretty much is your word versus theirs, and they aren't responsible for items stolen out of a mailbox, so basically the insurance is worthless.

I have collected on USPS claims in the past, but I was probably lucky. I learned a very expensive lesson about shipping gold bullion earlier this year. As other posters have said, in addition to insurance, get the signed delivery confirmation as well, and for something really valuable, go registered mail. For things under $100, I wouldn't insure... since that seems like a nice target for dishonest delivery folks since they know it's doesn't need to be signed for, and probably won't cause too much of a fuss if it "gets lost".

we got package missing twice in last 12 months

1. Was sent overseas and insured never showed up. Called number on the receipt, was transfered to international department , they opened investigation, 2 weeks later we received letter saying that they do not have proof of delivery and asked to fill out insurance claim form that was inclosed. while i was searching for old receipts we got our package returned to us (about 2 weeks after letter) - so we did not file the claim.
2. Bought gift for friends online and sent it directly to the them , also insured (worth about $200). They did not recieved it, call the number for investigation, 3 days later they got notice at the door that package was delivered but no one answered (which is suspisios because they have been home all day) They called post office and asked for redelivery, 4 days later still nothing. They went to the post office and people said that they do not have package. In meantime I got letter saying that package was delivered, called again and asked for the proof of delivery. Next day friends got package with lame story that it was at the post office but they just overlooked it. About couple weeks after that we got in mail copy of their signature upon delivery.
I have a strong feeling that filing claim directly without investigation is not way to go.
Have other friend who saying exacly the same, her packages been lost couple times and always been found after investigation by USPS.

Go to the postoffice and ask to speak to your postmaster instead of relying on online system.

Thanks for the responses.

I tried to follow up with them after a week and they didn't even want to hear anything until after 21 days.

USPS insurance clearly seems to be pointless. I will just file the appeal and see what they say. Pisses me off though.

do you have tracking #? i think all insured mail have one.
Does online system says that it was delivered?
Also I am not sure but if you pay for insurance it reqire a signature (althouigh I could be wrong)

IcemanPk said: But, your balls are most likely lost now.I think Newmann and Kramer are enjoying them.

scotto777 said:
I mailed a package (2 Dozen Pro V1 golf balls)
3 days later the claim is denied saying that "USPS records indicate package was delivered"

Sounds like they have you by the balls.

Insurance is primarily to cover damaged items or items lost in transit that do not show a delivery event. No carrier, including USPS, provides insurance for items that are delivered at the address without a signature and is later stolen. This is true even if the driver/carrier delivered it to the wrong address.

So, if it is expensive enough to buy insurance, get signature confirmation too.

scotto777, I think its clear you have the USPS by the balls.

fixfox69 said: The USPS Insurance is a scam - I'm not aware of anyone who received a single dime for insured package issues. Learned that lesson early.
Forget Insurance - your first line of defense is Tracking. Second and more effective (and expensive) is Signature Required.

So far, I have received every single insurance claim I put in (3-4 over several years).

SUB obviously works for USPSSUB said: fixfox69 said: The USPS Insurance is a scam - I'm not aware of anyone who received a single dime for insured package issues. Learned that lesson early.

So far, I have received every single insurance claim I put in (3-4 over several years).

MaxRC said: Insurance is primarily to cover damaged items or items lost in transit that do not show a delivery event. No carrier, including USPS, provides insurance for items that are delivered at the address without a signature and is later stolen. This is true even if the driver/carrier delivered it to the wrong address.

So, if it is expensive enough to buy insurance, get signature confirmation too.

This is incorrect. FedEx/UPS (and formerly DHL) all provide insurance with no additional charge up to $100. And that includes packages that show delivery without signature.

OP, I recommend that you ask mods to transfer this thread to "Online Auctions". Folks over there will be much more knowledgeable on the subject.

IcemanPk said: Just remember what happened to Jerry when he tried to comment USPS fraud, Newmann was all over him.

Especially if he's married

CrazierRus said: OP, I recommend that you ask mods to transfer this thread to "Online Auctions". Folks over there will be much more knowledgeable on the subject.I agree. But be prepared they will assume your friend scammed you.

postal insurance is the biggest scam

scotto777 said: Thanks for the responses.

I tried to follow up with them after a week and they didn't even want to hear anything until after 21 days.

USPS insurance clearly seems to be pointless. I will just file the appeal and see what they say. Pisses me off though.

1. USPS doesn't offer tracking this is why you must wait the 21days.
2. Anything under $200 insured by USPS doesn't requie signature this should be the black form. $200 and above is the Blue form which I think they require a signature.
3. Packages are generally stolen by random people not the carrier, I've shipped well over 10k items with USPS in 5yearse and have had 2 domestic shipments go missing. International is a bit more problematic in some areas.
4. You can view online when it says its delivered also, by entering the receipt number on the insurance form.

Also I am not sure but if you pay for insurance it reqire a signature (althouigh I could be wrong)
Insured mail does not come with signature confirmation.

I always laugh when eBay sellers send me things insured without signature confirmation.

DeGlass said: Also I am not sure but if you pay for insurance it reqire a signature (althouigh I could be wrong)
Insured mail does not come with signature confirmation.

I always laugh when eBay sellers send me things insured without signature confirmation.

You should really readup before you post..

Section 4.5
Delivery
An item insured for $200.00 or less receives a delivery scan. An item insured for more than $200.00 receives a delivery scan and the recipient's signature. Delivery of insured mail is subject to 508.1.0, Recipient Options, and 508.2.0, Conditions of Delivery.

IcemanPk said: Just remember what happened to Jerry when he tried to comment USPS fraud, Newmann was all over him.

"Do you even know what the write off is?"

"They know it, and they are the ones who are writing it off "

I agree USPS insurance is a scam, it took over a year to get paid on an international package. I don't even bother with it anymore, I accept the risk.

Actually, Ive sent alot of packages insured, many of which are laptops.

I had one "lost" about six months ago. Filed online, since it was an eBay transaction and
attached a copy of the eBay auction page.

Got my insurance money within two weeks.

Very Easy.

The USPS Insurance is a scam - I'm not aware of anyone who received a single dime for insured package issues. Learned that lesson early. Forget Insurance - your first line of defense is Tracking. Second and more effective (and expensive) is Signature Required. (I ship approx. 400 packages/year).

i've had two claims settled in my favor, the only claims i'd ever made. thus, i don't think it's actually a scam. i admit that i think the 2nd item was stolen by the postal employee who processed my order as i recall her eyes widening when i told her the contents of the package was an ipod touch, but i can't prove that. i don't think the postal service is generally in the business of running huge scams, that's far better handled by other government agencies. there's bad apples anywhere. but the usps is generally pretty on the up and up.

I am sorry for what happened to you. I just posted here in FW a month back asking for advice when Fedex lost four passports of me and my family. and it was FedEx overnight shipping! Nothing worked and I am suing them in small claims this month!

USPS is terrible with packages of very little help once they are lost. I've filed 4 missing package issues in the last 6 months and every time, I got the same canned response from their CSR's. Reaching someone via phone is nearly impossible. After finally getting someone, I was referred to a regional office which handles claims. The woman I spoke with more or less told me "It's not a big ticket item, so you're probably going to spend more time than it's worth".

Lesson learned: Ship everything FedEx/UPS in the future. It may cost you a bit more but you get insurance up to $100 free and true tracking.

scotto777 said: ...Given that the balls were $45 a dozen, I decided to insure them. Of course they never show up. I wait the 21 days and file the claim online, submitting copies of the receipts and other requirements. 3 days later the claim is denied saying that "USPS records indicate package was delivered"You insured them, so you had a tracking number, why didn't you check the delivery status online? If it says delivered, and your friend says it was not, why the hell did you wait 21 days to file a claim? You should have called them immediately.

i think 21 days is usps policyscripta said: scotto777 said: ...Given that the balls were $45 a dozen, I decided to insure them. Of course they never show up. I wait the 21 days and file the claim online, submitting copies of the receipts and other requirements. 3 days later the claim is denied saying that "USPS records indicate package was delivered"You insured them, so you had a tracking number, why didn't you check the delivery status online? If it says delivered, and your friend says it was not, why the hell did you wait 21 days to file a claim? You should have called them immediately.

Now they're smackin your balls. Hard. With their clubs.

Three years back I did get my insurance money back ($900) for a laptop. Tracking shows the item picked up, after no progress. Filed a complaint and after USPS investigation,(1 month) I got my money back.

fixfox69 said: The USPS Insurance is a scam - I'm not aware of anyone who received a single dime for insured package issues. Learned that lesson early.

Sorry for your balls.

parquedematthew said: Lesson learned: Ship everything FedEx/UPS in the future. It may cost you a bit more but you get insurance up to $100 free and true tracking.Registered mail is more reliable than Fedex/UPS.

nycll said: parquedematthew said: Lesson learned: Ship everything FedEx/UPS in the future. It may cost you a bit more but you get insurance up to $100 free and true tracking.Registered mail is more reliable than Fedex/UPS.

Registered mail isn't too practical as the value was around $100, that alone is $11 charge in addition to postage. Is an extra 11% practical? No

Online delivery confirmation is NOT included with insured priority mail. Yes you get a little black and white insurance slip with a tracking number, but it does not double as a delivery confirmation number. I had no idea if my package was labeled as delivered or not, just my friend telling me that he did not receive anything.

Now, it WILL double as a delivery confirmation number when the postage is created and the insurance is paid for online. I sent mine through a local post office so my insurance number is not delivery confirm number as well.

And as one poster mentioned, it is nearly impossible to get anyone of use on the phone with the USPS. And when I did, all I got was to "wait 21 days."

I appreciate those that have offered their experience or helpful response. Now I just knew why so many people just post the first thing that pops in their head(worthless info/suggestions) without reading any of the other responses.

I have had two claims in the past year both were paid out. The first was a damaged item which the local postmaster knew was damaged so they supplied the form when they delivered the item. The second was for an item that was lost.

Skipping 27 Messages...
strongreader said: Wow, I didn't realize how lucky I was last year when an iphone I sold on eBay got "lost". The package was scanned as received by USPS but never delivered. I filed a claim and after about 2 1/2 months, they paid me back $460 (had to provide them with my eBay invoice).

Same here, I mailed an iPhone (sold for $200). It wasn't delivered, and the Delivery Confirmation record showed it as still being in the post office of departure. No-one at the post office had any idea where it was.

After reading these comments, I guess I was blessed that I was able to file a claim after 21 days (along with proof of shipment and eBay receipt) and get a check mailed to me in 2 weeks - for the value of the lost item and shipping fees I paid to USPS.

If you truly, absolutely CANNOT afford to lose the item being sent, then mail it FedEx.
In no way do I think FedEx is the picture of perfection, but I've heard the least amount of lost/damage complaints from friends who have used them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014