• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am in process of filling out apartment rental app and it is asking me for my bank account number. Is that normal? And should I put it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We have taken the advice to make our security deposit a different amount than the monthly rent - to further distinguish ... (more)

SlimTim (Aug. 11, 2009 @ 6:24p) |

On a separate note, is there a way not disclosing SS# when renting? I've been renting all my life and never missed a pay... (more)

ntltfc (Aug. 12, 2009 @ 12:48a) |

I have the exact opposite point of view. As a tenant, I always object to some term of the landlord's just to verify tha... (more)

BradMajors (Aug. 12, 2009 @ 1:40a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

shanghei said: I am in process of filling out apartment rental app and it is asking me for my bank account number. Is that normal? And should I put it?What did they say when you asked them?

Unless they're pulling automatically each month (and hopefully you'd get some sort of discount for this), I'd be hesitant to provide them a correct bank account number. They may also be doing a verification of deposit to ensure you actually have some money and an active account (which I would think only makes sense if you're not putting down a deposit or have suspect credit).

As said, ask them why they need it. Those couple things are the only reason I could think they might want/need it (either as another potential collection method, another part of credit qualifying you for the property, or for ease of payment).

shanghei said: I am in process of filling out apartment rental app and it is asking me for my bank account number. Is that normal? And should I put it?

Why not? If you going to pay rent with a check, your account number is at the bottom of every check.

buckin said: shanghei said: I am in process of filling out apartment rental app and it is asking me for my bank account number. Is that normal? And should I put it?

Why not? If you going to pay rent with a check, your account number is at the bottom of every check.

Because when you are paying rent you already have an agreement with the complex. Applying for a unit isn't quite at the same stage.

I would just leave it blank. There have been some things that were asked on rental applications previously that I didn't really think they needed, so I left them blank. They never look at the paperwork.

jcole21 said: Unless they're pulling automatically each month (and hopefully you'd get some sort of discount for this), I'd be hesitant to provide them a correct bank account number. They may also be doing a verification of deposit to ensure you actually have some money and an active account (which I would think only makes sense if you're not putting down a deposit or have suspect credit).

As said, ask them why they need it. Those couple things are the only reason I could think they might want/need it (either as another potential collection method, another part of credit qualifying you for the property, or for ease of payment).

They are requiring a 800$ security deposit. The guy said I have to mail check every month so its not to automatically take money for rent each month. I guess I will ask.

One apartment I applied to last month required all bank account numbers and credit card numbers. They only had spaces for four of each so it's not like I could have fit them on the app anyway. I faxed them a letter indicating their requirements were unacceptable and asked for alternative agreement, e.g. they could hold last three months' rent in escrow, prepay for entire lease term for appropriate % discount, etc. They never got back to me so F them on principle. What legitimate reason would they need my credit card numbers?

buckin said: shanghei said: I am in process of filling out apartment rental app and it is asking me for my bank account number. Is that normal? And should I put it?

If that check is originated from an online bill pay system, it may not be your account number.

As pointed out earlier, when you write them a check (for rent or sec. dep.), they do have your bank a/c no. anyway. That said, I have not encountered it before.

In any case, make sure when (and if) you fill-in the a/c no., there is no fine print authorizing them to use it to pull money from your a/c for rent etc.

uutxs said: As pointed out earlier, when you write them a check (for rent or sec. dep.), they do have your bank a/c no. anyway. That said, I have not encountered it before.

In any case, make sure when (and if) you fill-in the a/c no., there is no fine print authorizing them to use it to pull money from your a/c for rent etc.
Asking for one account number seems pretty common and I have no problem with it. Some places around here allow you to pay by ACH/direct debit. If I were really paranoid, I could create an ING savings account just for this purpose and close it out after the application.

In my case, there was a small application fee and small print that said neglecting to list a bank account or credit card would be grounds for automatic rejection. I don't think they were out to get people, more likely just poorly thought out.

Typically questions such as Bank Account Number and Emergency Contact are for collection purposes. If you default on your lease or owe money after move out and they get a judgement, they are hoping you have the same bank account and they can attach it.

The Emergency Contact is so if you're late on your rent they can call and say "This is xyz's landlord. It's urgent that I speak with xyz as soon as possible. Do you know a good way to reach him or can you have him call me?" This allows the landlord to remain in the confines of privacy/collection laws (not mentioning the rent is late), but many people will figure out if the landlord is calling on the 5th of the month, it's probably about late rent

Whether or not you should disclose the information is a choice only you can make. If the landlord is unwilling to accept your application without it, you need to decide if it's worth it to you. You can certainly try leaving it blank and see if they actually catch it before allowing you to move in.

Just take your real account number and shuffle some numbers around. It's not like they can verify anything other than a routing number unless its for actual payment. They are certainly not on a need to know basis. Sounds almost as if they are trying to charge you for a pretend gym membership for their measly workout room. Fat chance lol.

Did they not ask for a credit report or social security number? If so, why worry over a bank account number?

BiomedGeek said: One apartment I applied to last month required all bank account numbers and credit card numbers. They only had spaces for four of each so it's not like I could have fit them on the app anyway. I faxed them a letter indicating their requirements were unacceptable and asked for alternative agreement, e.g. they could hold last three months' rent in escrow, prepay for entire lease term for appropriate % discount, etc. They never got back to me so F them on principle. What legitimate reason would they need my credit card numbers?

4 Visa gift cards.

pthor1231 said:
I would just leave it blank. There have been some things that were asked on rental applications previously that I didn't really think they needed, so I left them blank. They never look at the paperwork.

I do and I'm sure SIS does too.

TrueKnight said:

I do and I'm sure SIS does too.

Well, I don't because I don't have any rental property.

uutxs said: As pointed out earlier, when you write them a check (for rent or sec. dep.), they do have your bank a/c no. anyway. That said, I have not encountered it before.

I don't think they can pull money from your bank account even if they have the number. You would have to sign a special authorization paperwork that the bank would need to verify. Banks don't just let anyone that has your account number take money out.

Having said that, I would still not give my account number, especially not my main checking account. I may be OK with giving the number of some dormant/unused bank account that I have, if I really wanted the apartment and they insisted on it. As for credit cards, there is much less to worry about there since credit cards laws protect consumers from unauthorized charges. But again, I would give a number of a credit card I don't use.

Requesting CC numbers is often to match up the cards with those on your credit report.... its not like a landlord can go charging up your cards.

We cant deduct money from your bank accounts either.

All you paranoid deadbeat tenants need to get in touch with reality, landlords dont go around pulling money from anyones account w/o authorization.....

in fact WE are the ones who get shafted waiting on deadbeat tenants to voluntarily make their rent payments, and we are the ones who lose when they dont. Payment of rent is ALWAYS under the tenants control. We dont get to pull it if they dont voluntarily send it to us or agree to autopay.

And as many have said, this info is on your check anyway. Give them a $25 application check and you have already provided this info, so stop being so paranoid.

In 10 years of FWF posts, has there ever been ONE reported instance of a landlord pulling money using someones bank or cc #? NO. We dont do that.

I love how the paranoid deadbeat tenants are infiltrating this forum

Oh yeah...call the Health Dept too

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Requesting CC numbers is often to match up the cards with those on your credit report.... its not like a landlord can go charging up your cards.

All you paranoid deadbeat tenants need to get in touch with reality, landlords dont go around pulling money from anyones account w/o authorization.....

in fact WE are the ones who get shafted waiting on deadbeat tenants to voluntarily make their rent payments, and we are the ones who lose when they dont. Payment of rent is ALWAYS under the tenants control. We dont get to pull it if they dont voluntarily send it to us or agree to autopay.

And as many have said, this info is on your check anyway. Give them a $25 application check and you have already provided this info, so stop being so paranoid.

In 10 years of FWF posts, has there ever been ONE reported instance of a landlord pulling money using someones bank or cc #? NO. We dont do that.

Just as all tenants are not created equal, neither are all landlords. When you have people out there renting out property that they don't own or have no intention of paying the mortgage on, why in god's name should I trust them with my bank account and credit card numbers before I even have a signed lease agreement. You don't need to match up all the credit cards on my credit report to evaluate me as a tenant, you have the damn report in front of you. Just because no one happened to post on FWF about this situation possibly happening doesn't mean its impossible.

Just because someone is concerned about their information possibly being used improperly doesn't mean they are a deadbeat.

it does mean they are paranoid, and ignorant too since banks offer $0 liability for fraud.

Your bdate, ssn etc are on the app and much more likely to be used for id theft if that was the goal.... Worrying about your cc and check info is paranoia

It is 1000x more likely a tenant is using false info on an app, having them provide cc number allows a crosscheck with the credit report

The number of tenants applying with stolen / fake docs is high, and a crosscheck helps weed them out

If we weed out some paranoia nuts too, that is good for us bc those are likely to be problem tenants too. Deadbeats that complain about an app complain more about everything else too

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Requesting CC numbers is often to match up the cards with those on your credit report.... its not like a landlord can go charging up your cards.

Yes, and when your house gets broken into, and my whole financial life is sitting in your filing cabinet, then it is my problem.

again....you already provide bdate ssn dl etc on an app, which is all a thief needs

You cant be paranoid about everything... A cell pjone employee has access to all this and is 1000x more likely to stesl/sell that info than a landlord

The CC numbers and bank accounts are more easily used in fraud by someone who wants to siphon an existing account rather than go through putting in a CoA and opening new ones. SSN, DL, bday, etc do need to be watched, and I don't know why you'd provide them for something as simple as a cell phone. Only partial CC numbers show on a credit report.

It all sounds secure and comfortable until a laptop goes missing and then you're out thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of time to get your money and credit back. It happens millions of times each year, but everybody thinks it only happens to somebody else until it happens to them.

If a landlord has a tenant with a high credit score, verifiable income, assets, references, and can provide first, last, and security, then the landlord doesn't need any more. You, the landlords, are being paranoid. What's next, having a PI follow us around?

you would be surprised how many people apply with someone elses info ,who has a good job and credit,

They dont need to be traditional thieves either- if they know anyone in HR they can get this info, or sometimes they use family members info

Asking the applicant for a cc number provides easy crosscheck... If they dont know their own card number then its not really them

The first 4 letters of your nick says it all about you. There is no WE in landlords - not all landlords are the same. There are good landlords and good tenants and there are bad landlords and bad tenants.

Guys, you would not believe the outrageous lies potential tenants will offer. We've got a single property that we've taken through the lease process twice now. About 10 actual applications turned in. Half are full of enough lies to embarrass a used car salesman. We've even had a couple persist after being caught and I've literally had to say, "If you had told us the truth from the outset, maybe, but at this point there's literally nothing you can do or say for this to work."

The credit card numbers are indeed a cross check on the credit report info. Bank account numbers can sometimes be verified too. We call the local branch - and explain we have a tenant application and would like to confirm the information supplied. It gives us some comfort that we know who the tenant is and he has the minimal financial competence to have a bank account. That's not a hard requirement, and omitting the information isn't necessarily a showstopper either, but the more that is provided, the more likely an application is to be accepted.

I know many have had bad experiences with landlords, but I don't think SiS has suggested anything remotely sinister in justifying the requests for this information.

Those who are able to pull credit reports are also required to have onsite inspections of their business premises, which really serves two purposes. First, to verify that there really is a business with a permissible purpose for pulling credit reports, and second to verify that reasonable security measures are in place to protect any retained consumer information. While this is by no means a thorough security audit, it's likely a whole lot more than almost everywhere else you share your credit card and checking account information.

StapledPants said:

The first 4 letters of your nick says it all about you. There is no WE in landlords - not all landlords are the same. There are good landlords and good tenants and there are bad landlords and bad tenants.

Thats right, and landlords doing these initial checks are to WEED OUT the bad tenants, the problematic tenants, the tenants who nitpick and complain and have a problem with everything.

SlimTim said: Guys, you would not believe the outrageous lies potential tenants will offer. We've got a single property that we've taken through the lease process twice now. About 10 actual applications turned in. Half are full of enough lies to embarrass a used car salesman. We've even had a couple persist after being caught and I've literally had to say, "If you had told us the truth from the outset, maybe, but at this point there's literally nothing you can do or say for this to work."
Right, but if the potential tenant has been honest, has excellent credit, has a job with ample income, has statements showing liquid assets, and can provide you with a check for first, last, and security, then everything else is unnecessary. Additional verification is subject to the law of diminishing returns.

SlimTim said:
The credit card numbers are indeed a cross check on the credit report info. Bank account numbers can sometimes be verified too. We call the local branch - and explain we have a tenant application and would like to confirm the information supplied. It gives us some comfort that we know who the tenant is and he has the minimal financial competence to have a bank account. That's not a hard requirement, and omitting the information isn't necessarily a showstopper either, but the more that is provided, the more likely an application is to be accepted.

So is a check with INTERPOL, just to make sure they aren't a criminal fleeing police in Europe.

SlimTim said:
I know many have had bad experiences with landlords, but I don't think SiS has suggested anything remotely sinister in justifying the requests for this information.

It isn't sinister, it just puts people at risk unnecessarily.

SlimTim said:
Those who are able to pull credit reports are also required to have onsite inspections of their business premises, which really serves two purposes. First, to verify that there really is a business with a permissible purpose for pulling credit reports, and second to verify that reasonable security measures are in place to protect any retained consumer information. While this is by no means a thorough security audit, it's likely a whole lot more than almost everywhere else you share your credit card and checking account information.

Credit report security is a joke. When they come to set up your account, they will make sure there is a lock on the door and some sort of cabinet or chest on the premises that locks, and that is it. If there are no complaints, they never come back. They do not verify that reports are actually being locked up, nor do they verify that computers are password protected, free of viruses, and being secured properly. These security checks do little more than weed out fraud operations looking to pull without PP. They do basically nothing to ensure that private information is safe in the event of a burglary or virus attack.

Furthermore, this information is not necessarily verified then immediately shredded. Tenants have no assurance that the landlord will not keep it for many years. Landlords who do not care about information security may be motivated to hold on to it if they ever have to send the tenant to collections.

I gotta say, a credit card number would cross the line for me.

I've done the application shuffle for apartments before, and reasonable questions are just fine. Last time I rented a house, I provided my SSN to the realty agency so they could pull my credit and send the report to the landlord. I provided one month's rent by certified check, one month's rent by personal check, a copy of my drivers license, and my W2 stub. I wouldn't have minded providing my bank acct number, it's on the bottom of every check I write.

But I would be unwilling to give my SSN or CC number to the landlord directly. That's outside my comfort zone. I realize landlords want to weed out criminals and find the perfect tenant to protect their investment. But problems run both ways. A landlord who is too intrusive in an application signals to me a landlord who will be too intrusive once you live there.

staci86, credit card and checking account numbers are not "secrets" as part of any security mechanism. You have to share them to use them. If you think it endangers you to share them as part of an application to take possession of property typically worth 3x to 5x your annual income, withholding the info is your prerogative, but I don't think the request for the information in that context is unreasonable.

And yes, if I were to see an applicant who was completely honest, with excellent credit, a job with ample income, statements showing liquid assets*, and funds for move-in costs, I don't think I'd worry a whole lot about his credit card numbers. I haven't met him yet, but I'll tell him you said hello if I do.

*Statements provided by the applicant would hold very little value until independently cross-checked. Unfortunately, smart landlords have to assume every single thing a tenant claims is a lie until verified (and smart tenants should want to have smart landlords too). I would not doubt for a moment that there are tenants who doctor documents for use with applications.

And of course, how do you know it's the guy you're handing the keys to who has the good credit? We can see the name on the report matches the name on this guy's driver's license, but there is still a risk. SiS suggested the family member scam - and there can be a shared name in that case, and a DL can certainly be faked too. These are not absurd scenarios!

I suspect bad tenants are disproportionately represented by applications. Good tenants don't have to shop around a whole lot, they'll be accepted quickly. Bad tenants essentially spam landlords until they find a lazy one who doesn't make the effort to find out the truth about them. We charge an application fee and assure them we'll be getting a credit report and verifying other information. Some are desperate enough to take a chance anyway.

oopsz said:
But I would be unwilling to give my SSN or CC number to the landlord directly.
If local custom is giving your SSN and app information to a RE broker or property management agency, I can understand the concern, but in many areas private citizens rent a house or two and run their own landlording business and do their own apps. They have no middleman to provide the info to.

To me, CC number is one of the things I care least about throwing it around... all it takes is one phone call to cancel it. It does not take hours and hours to fix. ID theft is what takes time to fix.

If it didnt break FW rules, I would post a few of my CC #s here at FW and let you guys have a field day, like Todd Davis of LifeLock. Its really not something that needs to be protected and its a shame that banks have made people paranoid of protecting something that is the banks' liability.

If you don't want to do the check, go rent a different place. It's as easy as that. Renting an apartment is a financial commitment, why should you not be required to verify your financial background to rent? It can be extremely expensive (time-consuming) for a landlord to evict a deadbeat.

If you don't want to do the check, how about you pay an upfront lump sum payment for the entire year. I'm sure most landlords would go for that.

SlimTim said:
smart landlords have to assume every single thing a tenant claims is a lie until verified (and smart tenants should want to have smart landlords too). I would not doubt for a moment that there are tenants who doctor documents for use with applications.

And of course, how do you know it's the guy you're handing the keys to who has the good credit? We can see the name on the report matches the name on this guy's driver's license, but there is still a risk. SiS suggested the family member scam - and there can be a shared name in that case, and a DL can certainly be faked too. These are not absurd scenarios!
They are actually very common scenarios.

And in CA, where we get a lot of immigrant renters, there is the "oh my real (native/legal) name is different than the name on my paychecks, etc".
More than half are decent and honest, but the remainder are lying thieves, and we need to try to ferret those out BEFORE renting to them.

SlimTim said: staci86, credit card and checking account numbers are not "secrets" as part of any security mechanism. You have to share them to use them. If you think it endangers you to share them as part of an application to take possession of property typically worth 3x to 5x your annual income, withholding the info is your prerogative, but I don't think the request for the information in that context is unreasonable.
They are secrets, which should only be shared when absolutely necessary. That level of verification is subject to the law of diminishing returns.

I was about to post the LifeLock CEO as an example, but SIS beat me to it. Davis did have his identity stolen, which should come as no surprise given that he broadcast it on national TV.

The basic information allows you to screen out the deadbeats and ensure that your tenant has the capacity to pay.

SlimTim said:
And yes, if I were to see an applicant who was completely honest, with excellent credit, a job with ample income, statements showing liquid assets*, and funds for move-in costs, I don't think I'd worry a whole lot about his credit card numbers. I haven't met him yet, but I'll tell him you said hello if I do.

Are you a slumlord? I can at least understand it if *EVERY* applicant was a deadbeat to some degree. There are plenty of responsible people out there who do not need to be screened in that manner.

SlimTim said:

If they are printing phony drivers licenses complete with holograms, CC or bank verification will not stand in their way. The type of criminal you are talking about will fool all of these checks.

SlimTim said:
I suspect bad tenants are disproportionately represented by applications. Good tenants don't have to shop around a whole lot, they'll be accepted quickly. Bad tenants essentially spam landlords until they find a lazy one who doesn't make the effort to find out the truth about them. We charge an application fee and assure them we'll be getting a credit report and verifying other information. Some are desperate enough to take a chance anyway.

I can buy that - Gresham's law applied to tenants.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:
If it didnt break FW rules, I would post a few of my CC #s here at FW and let you guys have a field day, like Todd Davis of LifeLock. Its really not something that needs to be protected and its a shame that banks have made people paranoid of protecting something that is the banks' liability.

If you did that, your cards would promptly be maxed out, and you would be liable for those charges. Zero liability only applies when you take reasonable measures to safeguard your account information. Even if it did apply, that would be a major inconvenience for you. Davis has been the victim of over 20 instances of identity theft.

There is no need to exaggerate about this. I know you know the limits of zero liability.

The point is that a compromised CC is very different than ID theft. A compromised cc # takes 15 minutes to fix. You never pay the fraudulent charges. yet the banks have scared people into thinking they need to keep it away from prying eyes.

It is not secret information - it is shared with every retailer you deal with. Your DL is shared every time you enter a bar/club or buy alcohol if you look under 35.

If any piece of info, SSN should be kept "most" secret, since that is the key to ID theft (in combination with DOB etc). But you have to give that to a landlord to perform credit check.

Being concerned about cc and bank account #s given to your landlord or potential landlord, is silly.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: oopsz said:
But I would be unwilling to give my SSN or CC number to the landlord directly.
If local custom is giving your SSN and app information to a RE broker or property management agency, I can understand the concern, but in many areas private citizens rent a house or two and run their own landlording business and do their own apps. They have no middleman to provide the info to.

Maybe this is an atypical situation then.. in my area, realtors place renters and handle everything. They take a commission from the landlord when a lease is signed (percentage of the lease contract, I'm not familiar with specifics.) My application and details were provided to Prudential, my realty agency. I had to pay an application fee, iirc it was less than $20, but that was a few years ago.

I'm pretty private about my finances and credit. I wouldn't trust some random guy who owns a house with my SSN- I'd just move on to the next property. Prudential gave me a franchise to go after if my financial data was misused.

You landlords keep saying it's not a big deal to provide it because it's already on the check provided for deposit or application fee. If you've already got it from there, then why would you need it again?

And if someone has all of this personal information fraudulently, they can pull the same credit report you're looking at and provide whatever 'cross-check' verification you're looking for, right?

I understand you're taking a risk with every tenant, but this verification doesn't appear to me to reduce your risk level in any capacity. If anything, I would ask the perspective tenant 'out of wallet' questions in a phone interview about some of the items on their credit report (auto loan, credit card and total line amount, approxmate payments of some liabilities or who the lenders are) if you were really concerned about the true identity of the prospect.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: The point is that a compromised CC is very different than ID theft. A compromised cc # takes 15 minutes to fix. You never pay the fraudulent charges. yet the banks have scared people into thinking they need to keep it away from prying eyes.

It is not secret information - it is shared with every retailer you deal with. Your DL is shared every time you enter a bar/club or buy alcohol if you look under 35.

If any piece of info, SSN should be kept "most" secret, since that is the key to ID theft (in combination with DOB etc). But you have to give that to a landlord to perform credit check.

Being concerned about cc and bank account #s given to your landlord or potential landlord, is silly.

Criminals can easily empty a bank account using just the bank account number.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60345-2004Jul18.h...

Skipping 43 Messages...
GordonGekko said: As another evil, less trustworthy landlord I agree with buckin; "if a applicant refuses to fill out the complete form, he either has something to hide or is a problem tenant. I'd rather leave the property empty for a few months than try to evict a problem tenant later."
I'll even go a step further, if you've given me an incomplete application you've just done me a huge favor, if I don't like the looks of you I can refuse to rent to you for that reason alone and I don't have to worry about discrimination laws.

I have the exact opposite point of view. As a tenant, I always object to some term of the landlord's just to verify that the landlord is flexible and if we have a landlord tenant dispute things can be resolved. When I did this to one prospective landlord and he hurled a series of obscenities and insults at me I knew I was wasting my time with him.

A landlord who insists on the complete filling in of every form is likely to be a problem landlord and should be avoided. I am not only renting a house I am also selecting a landlord with whom I can get along.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014