Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got an email this morning for the new 50 bonus from ING. Here's the email
~~~~~~~
$50 Bonus with Electric OrangeSM checking

Checking fees take people's lunch money.

Tired of paying fees on your checking account? With no minimums or monthly fees, Electric Orange checking lets your cash do more for you.

Earn a $50 bonus for card purchases.

Open your account by July 15, 2009 and use your Debit Card to make 3 signature transactions (you know, the ones you have to actually sign) within the first 45 days. On day 50, we'll put $50 in your account.

Go to www.ingdirect.com/electric50 to learn more. Don't forget to enter Reference Code EM287 to be eligible for the $50.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
To answer my own question: Current promo code EM352, found via google, and appears valid as my bonus has been confirmed ... (more)

dacii (Oct. 15, 2009 @ 5:30p) |

I got email with code: EM363.

You have to sign up for an overdraft LOC (implying hard inquiry). So that's not worth it fo... (more)

SegaRob (Oct. 15, 2009 @ 5:55p) |

My three transactions are posted as "Debit Card Purchase". Would those qualify me for the "signature-based purchases" bo... (more)

dacii (Oct. 26, 2009 @ 10:37p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

just came by to post the same thing, not a bad deal, seems like it is for existing savings account owners

The link doesn't mention any account minimum balance or other requirements beyond the 3 transactions within 45 days, to receive the bonus.

Interest rates:
0.25% Under 50K
1.60% 50K-100K
1.65% Over 100K

do you have to have an ING savings account before you open the checking account to receive the bonus?

Squeezer99 said: do you have to have an ING savings account before you open the checking account to receive the bonus?
In their FAQs it says this:
"Do I need to have an ING DIRECT account in order to get Electric Orange?
No, you donít have to be an existing Customer to have Electric Orange..."
What makes people (like in the quick summary) think that it requires you to have a savings account?

Hard pull?

Crap. Repost.

leenga said: just came by to post the same thing, not a bad deal, seems like it is for existing savings account owners

Could you elaborate?

any min bal to open account?

any min bal to avoid fees?

any other issues?

sometimes on special promos ING refuses to honor, they always find a reason..... Never got my 50.00 for sharebuilder

use your Debit Card to make 3 signature transactions (you know, the ones you have to actually sign)

Do these mean just PIN-LESS transactions or ACTUAL signature based ?
Do online transactions that do not involve PIN (or a sig, ofcourse) qualify ?
I am presuming yes but would one of you esteemed & experienced w/ING confirm ?
TIA

Any idea, where there is hard pull even if you have saving a/c?

I will check with them next week

I think I see what leenga was talking about now. If you go to www.ingdirect.com/electric50 and click on Apply Now, it goes to a login page for existing customers. However, if you instead click on Learn More and then click Apply Now on the new page (or go to the ingdirect home page and then click Open an Account), it brings up an application for new users who don't have an existing account. Either way has a box to enter the Reference Code for the promotion.

This thread should probably be merged with http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/925792

frank10b said: any min bal to open account?

any min bal to avoid fees?

any other issues?

sometimes on special promos ING refuses to honor, they always find a reason..... Never got my 50.00 for sharebuilder

No min. bal to avoid fees.

You can get a $25 bonus for opening ING account using referral code from someone in addition to this $50 bonus. However, the $25 referral bonus requires $250 min. deposit. No requirements on $50 bonus other than what OP stated.

govenar said: I think I see what leenga was talking about now. If you go to www.ingdirect.com/electric50 and click on Apply Now, it goes to a login page for existing customers. However, if you instead click on Learn More and then click Apply Now on the new page (or go to the ingdirect home page and then click Open an Account), it brings up an application for new users who don't have an existing account. Either way has a box to enter the Reference Code for the promotion.

This thread should probably be merged with http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/925792
What do you mean merged? It can either be locked down or left alone by itself drugging up the need to read them both. In some situations the tread can be deleted, but i do not see it hapenned often.

frank10b said: sometimes on special promos ING refuses to honor, they always find a reason..... Never got my 50.00 for sharebuilder

Yes, they screwed me out of my $25 bonus when I opened a savings account of them. I used one of their ubiquitous referral links to signup...where the person that signs up gets $25 and the referrer gets $10. (Since the only way to get such a bonus was a referral, I couldn't find such a link on FW.) They asked me for the email address of the referrer I think, and they didn't give me the bonus since I couldn't provide it to them...that's just stupid, and especially for a measly $25 bonus!

Not to mention that they tried to rip me off on a previous $25 Electric Orange bonus offer too. They didn't give me the bonus by the date they were supposed to (probably hoping that I'd forget), so I called them up and they were able to take care of it. But come to think of it, I'll just close all my ING Direct accounts once my 4% 1-year CD with them matures.

Customers can only have one Electric Orange and you currently have an Electric Orange open.

oh well... in spite of having an Electric Orange account, I thought I'd try applying.

Just opened this account tonight.

If it answers any questions, this was the information shown on the screen during the last step of opening the account:

---------------
How to get your Electric Orange Bonus
∑ Activate your Electric Orange MasterCard@ Debit Card.
∑ Use your Card to make at least 3 signature-based purchases within the first 45 days. After you do that, your $50 Bonus will be automatically paid to your Electric Orange, 50 days after your account has been opened.
∑ Keep in mind, only one Electric Orange per customer.

What's a signature-based purchase?
It's a Card purchase made without using your Personal Identification Number(PIN) when paying. A majority of transactions don't involve a PIN and are considered signature-based purchases.

Examples of signature-based transactions include:
∑ Any purchases that require your signature(choosing 'Credit' instead of 'Debit') when checking out.
∑ Internet, phone or mail order purchases.
∑ Using your Card for automatic bill payments like your cell phone, cable or utilities.

Opened it too, It was a breeze, took less than 5 min.s

I have the savings a/c with them. Entered the code, and confirmed the eligibility for $50 bonus

Thanks OP

This worked for me on a previous promotion. I searched online and found someone to send me a referral email for opening the savings account. I deposited $250 and opened the savings account. Then I opened a checking account from the $50 bonus link - and did my debit transactions.

I had no problem with getting both the $25 bonus and the $50 bonus credited automatically.

No min. bal to avoid fees.

You can get a $25 bonus for opening ING account using referral code from someone in addition to this $50 bonus. However, the $25 referral bonus requires $250 min. deposit. No requirements on $50 bonus other than what OP stated.

AFAIK the $50 codes have expired. I got an email with a new code EM298 that expires August 22, 2009. But they lowered the bonus from $50 to $25. And the URL is different: http://www.ingdirect.com/electric/

Yeah, I think I will close ING too after my current CD matures. And then maybe I'll wait awhile and if things get to being more competitive again, I'll reopen to collect another bonus!

BrianGa said: New $50 code: EM322
http://www.ingdirect.com/electric50/
When does that one expire?

Thanks for the updated code I opened a savings and got the $25 now on to see if I can get the $50 from the checking.

govenar said: BrianGa said: New $50 code: EM322
http://www.ingdirect.com/electric50/
When does that one expire?
August 22, 2009

ugh, for some reason i couldnt use a referral link and called them. i pushed to use both but the guy on the phone wouldnt budge so i signed up for only the $50 bonus... now, for some reason, i have a lock on my account to confirm my identity? ?? are they just trying to annoy me or what. quite possibly the most annoying $50 bonus i've done

NachA said: ugh, for some reason i couldnt use a referral link and called them. i pushed to use both but the guy on the phone wouldnt budge so i signed up for only the $50 bonus... now, for some reason, i have a lock on my account to confirm my identity? ?? are they just trying to annoy me or what. quite possibly the most annoying $50 bonus i've doneBayAreaGuy said: 50$ is not worth it, because you will not even get 50$. Pretty much all banks count such bonus as interest and you will be paying tax on this. So if are in 30% bracket, all you get it is 35$.

This is one of reason I have had held back even for 100$ sign-up bonus offers.

finally thought to check my ING account, $50 bonus posted sept 2nd

Cha-ching! Your bonus is now posted
Got mine on 9/23
Was there any set amounts of time the account needed to stay open?

Is there any active promo code?

To answer my own question: Current promo code EM352, found via google, and appears valid as my bonus has been confirmed after my app. Too bad I can't seem to stack the referral bonus, since it appears to be for new customers only.

I got email with code: EM363.

You have to sign up for an overdraft LOC (implying hard inquiry). So that's not worth it for me.

My three transactions are posted as "Debit Card Purchase". Would those qualify me for the "signature-based purchases" bonus?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014