Unemployment while going to school?

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hello,

I was recently laid off from my work last week with 3 days notice and I have filed for unemployment.I am planning on going back to school next month full-time and was wondering whether or not this will effect my Unemployment benefits.

Before I was laid off, I was working part-time in the evenings from around 8 PM until 2 AM or whenever I finished with work. The hours were not very consistent every week so my hours ranged from 15 hours to 36 hours. The company was also opened weekends for me to work, this was great because I was going to school full-time during the day and if i needed a weeknight off I was able to work hours on the weekend. I have been doing this for the last 3 years and was planning to work here until I finished school. (I finish school next year)

Now that I am laid off I am concerned whether or not I will get my unemployment benefits if I say I am going back to school because it disqualifies me from working full-time.

I tried going on their website to look for the answer but I cant find it. I've tried calling the office but I'm afraid that if I say the wrong thing they will disqualify me. I am trying very hard not to use the loans I will be receiving from school on rent, food..etc because I don't want a big debt when I finish school. For the most part, I have been paying everything out of pocket (tuition, rent, food..) except for last years tuition. I don't qualify for grants because I made too much last year.

if anyone has the answer or any constructive feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You could always not tell them you are going back to school...

lotusgardener (Nov. 11, 2009 @ 11:47a) |

i am having the same problem help in florida neede,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

losram08 (Nov. 11, 2009 @ 3:34p) |

In New Jersey I believe unemployment will pay for you to attend a state school (on a space available basis) while collec... (more)

BrlDsguise (Nov. 11, 2009 @ 4:18p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Every state is different, ask your unemployment office, there is no harm in just ASKING.

Typically, the state will require you to fill out additional form is you want go to school while on employment. Most state will even PAY for it and EXTEND your unemployment if you want to go to school, BUT only if you fill out the proper paperwork and get approved.

once again, TALK to them but turn it into your whole lifestory.

In my state MD going to schoole eliminated your unemployment benifits as you are not able to look for full time work.

i called but it is automated and there is no option to talk to a representative...i tried asking a question online but it doesnt allow me to ask a question like this..

I think that most states require you to be able and available to work--if you're in school full time, most states DQ you--unless you fall into a retraining program or something. Most will allow you to go to school part time with no problems. As someone else stated, talk to them--the last thing you want to do is not address it, file for unemployment, and have them find out about it and ask for the $$$ back down the road.

I guess this sucks because I have been going to school full-time and working at the same time for the last 3-4 years so its not like I can't work and I'm not willing to work. My history shows that I could do it and my line of work requires evening workers. I worked at a celebrity event photo agency that required me to work on the photos in the evening and send it out to clients before they got in the office the next morning.

anyway, i sent an email to them with the question so we'll see how it goes...

dorkndisguise said: I guess this sucks because I have been going to school full-time and working at the same time for the last 3-4 years so its not like I can't work and I'm not willing to work. My history shows that I could do it and my line of work requires evening workers. I worked at a celebrity event photo agency that required me to work on the photos in the evening and send it out to clients before they got in the office the next morning.

anyway, i sent an email to them with the question so we'll see how it goes...
I agree it sucks. If people are willing to work and have proven that, then it's really to everyone's benefit that you further your education in hopes of getting better employment. I have a feeling you'll be in trouble collecting, but I hope not. With a 10% unemployment rate, I would think we should encourage people becoming better job candidates.

In this post in flame-free thread, OP mentions she/he is in Los Angeles, CA. Perhaps someone knowledgeable can provide a more specific response.

thanks for everyones input. I still cant get a hold of a person to talk to but i did email them my question. if i get a response i will post it.

This exact scenario bothers me about going back to school .

yeah...=( I'm thinking of trying to find an internship that gives me the experience and use my loans to pay for my bills until I finish that way when I do graduate I can get a job with at least a year experience in my field.

opportunity.gov has details

"Americans with more education and training have more secure jobs and higher earnings. With jobs hard to find, it may be a good time to consider going back to school."

"The President recently announced that unemployed workers receiving unemployment benefits may qualify for a special hand in paying for education and training. And aid can be significant: In particular, the Federal Pell Grant program can provide up to $5,350 for educational costs at community colleges, colleges and universities, and many trade and technical schools. This is only one example of several federal student aid programs available to assist unemployed workers."

"Applying for financial aid and finding education and training are not difficult."

oh that is good to know curvesahead. thank you. I have already applied for financial aid for this upcoming semester in January and I was only given loans because I was not qualified for any grants. I will talk to my financial aid advisor and see if I can qualify for a pell grant. Only if it wasn't so hard to reach a represenative... =/

According to my state's UC website they will allow eligible UC participants to collect UC as long as the training will give them a better employability outlook in the long run.

I am sure this varies by state.

California UC info pertaining to college attendance

In Tennessee, I know some poeple who tried it, got unemployment and were found out and had to pay it back. Not good. Check first, dont collect first.

i talked to the financial aid office and they are mailing me out a change of income form to see if i do qualify for a pell grant. Thanks curveshead.

You can in Florida.

The difficulty OP was having in getting answers from his states unemployment insurance office is typical of government-administered programs.

I know someone who just applied for unemployment benefits in AZ. When he checks online, his status shows that he should be receiving payment, but he has received no checks yet, even though he was supposed to have. When he goes into the office, they tell him they only accept phone calls. When he calls, he gets a message that they are busy and to call back. He's stuck in limbo.

Being a full-time student would disqualify you in most states from receiving UI benefits. You can contact your UI office about receiving funds (up to 10K in Illinois) for "job training" in another field (which is nifty if your job had nothing to do with your current degree) and you should be able to qualify for UI benefits while attending school.

well, if your state does not let you go to school full time while receiving UI - just take one less class than what is considered full time

SSG said: well, if your state does not let you go to school full time while receiving UI - just take one less class than what is considered full time

that is something i can consider....but i am so close to graduating..i don't know if I want to do that. =/

SSG said: well, if your state does not let you go to school full time while receiving UI - just take one less class than what is considered full timeDoes not matter, if on the form you check off that you are attending school, it will complicate getting paid

You can collection unemployment until classes officially start.

Personally I was able to continue to collection unemployment in California while still going to school since I said I can take night/evening classes if I find a job or work at a 2nd/3rd shift job.

I am not up to date with UI laws in various colonies.
I was just wondering why someone in your situation couldn't file a claim,
and kept looking for a job even while going to school full time.

If a job came up that is acceptable to you, you could always take it.
I know a bunch of people who work and attend school at the same time,
yourself being an example. One thing should not preclude the other.

Can I attend school or training and receive UI benefits?

The California Training Benefits program allows qualified individuals to continue to receive benefits while in approved training. For more information:

* Contact EDD (select UI information, then when prompted, press zero to speak with a representative)
* Review our California Training Benefits fact sheet
* Review the Get Training - Individuals section on this Web site

Individuals who attend school or training and are not participating in the California Training Benefits program, may qualify for UI benefits if they continue to actively seek work. The Department determines if the individual is entitled to UI benefits.

Xnarg said: The difficulty OP was having in getting answers from his states unemployment insurance office is typical of government-administered programs.Yep, one guy having an issue with Arizona unemployment is indicative of every government program. Nice stretch, and shocking, coming from you.

I know a guy who is flawlessly getting his unemployment in my state - always on time, and answers every question quickly. I guess that's indicative of all government programs running flawlessly, by your logic?

Depending on the state, as long as you are willing to quit school (i.e. take incompletes) if you find a job, you should be able to collect UI.

Not here in Kansas. You go to school you lose the money. Really stupid in my opinion.

taken from this link someone from here gave me:

Able and available

Attendance At School Or Training

When a claimant restricts his or her availability for work due to school attendance, consider if the claimant meets the eligibility criteria in the following order:

* California Training Benefits (CTB); refer to criteria decribed in California Training Benefits Consideration, section A.
* CUIC 1253.8; refer to criteria described in Restricting To Part-Time Work Due To School Attendance - Section 1253.8, section E.
* CUIC 1253(c); refer to criteria decribed in Available For Full-Time Work While Attending School - Section 1253(C)-1(C)(4), Title 22, section D.
I guess I would fit into this category:

E. Restricting To Part-Time Work Due To School Attendance - Section 1253.8

Effective January 1, 2002 (the week beginning December 30, 2001), Section 1253.8 was repealed from the Unemployment Insurance Code and a new Section 1253.8 was added which provides:

"An unemployed individual shall not be disqualified for eligibility for unemployment compensation benefits solely on the basis that he or she is only available for part-time work. If an individual restricts his or her availability to part-time work, he or she may be considered to be able to work and available for work pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 1253 if it is determined that all of following conditions exist: (a) The claim is based on the part-time employment. (b) The claimant is actively seeking and is willing to accept work under essentially the same conditions as existed while the wage credits were accrued. (c) The claimant imposes no other restrictions and is in a labor market in which a reasonable demand exists for the part-time services he or she offers."

0AfterRebates said: Not here in Kansas. You go to school you lose the money. Really stupid in my opinion.

Thanks for saving me the time from finding out.
I got laid off from Cessna, and was thinking about going back to school (even just part-time).
I guess I have to sit on my butt for a few months more; there are no jobs at all right now.

Hello,

I have been asking the same questions and getting nothing but, #'s and other websites. I have one that I would like you to read and it made me feel a little bit better for the moment...until I can get some more answers because I signed for full-time school too.

www.wimba.com/community/blog/obama_asks_to_extend_unemployment_b...

Check it out and let me knoe what you think and if I'm being a little pushing just let know...lol!
If, you have any info you could share that ould be aesome too.

streetmama

I have the SAME exact question as OP. I have been trying to get ahold of a human via the 1800 number for UE for weeks. No one answers and the call volume is always high. This is BS.

What about Illinois? I am planning to go to school partime. 6 to 9 credit hours and on line so I would not have to attend classes? What do I do? Can anyone help? BH

rh7358 said: What about Illinois? I am planning to go to school partime. 6 to 9 credit hours and on line so I would not have to attend classes? What do I do? Can anyone help? BHJust call the governmental agency involved.

They do a great job of handling customer service, much better than private industry.

In NJ, Montclair University will allow you to collect UI and give you reduced tuition.

I'm in MI and I'm thinking of going back to school to change careers, because, so far, I guess the world doesn't need another graphic artist/web designer . I'm calling tomorrow.. but hoping to go back to school to get a Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology or Forensics..even still yet.. what if you were to go to school on-line and were available for full time work? I'll keep you posted..

AichJay said: I'm in MI and I'm thinking of going back to school to change careers, because, so far, I guess the world doesn't need another graphic artist/web designer . I'm calling tomorrow.. but hoping to go back to school to get a Masters Degree in Counseling Psychology or Forensics..even still yet.. what if you were to go to school on-line and were available for full time work? I'll keep you posted..

If you pursue your online degree from a brick and mortar school, it won't matter. The transcripts and degree won't differ between a B/M or online study.

Skipping 15 Messages...
mewannaxbox said: In NJ, Montclair University will allow you to collect UI and give you reduced tuition.

In New Jersey I believe unemployment will pay for you to attend a state school (on a space available basis) while collecting unemployment and Montclair is a state school. I'm guessing NJ is near the top of the list if you are unemployed and want to attend school.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014