• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I search this topic in FW but didn't get any past discussion.

I want to transfer my Canadian dollars in a Canada bank to US dollors in a US bank, for about $3000 CAD.
Which way can I get the maximum ammount, after all the fees?

1.Wire Transfer like west Union charges high fee.
2.Banks charge both in exchange rate and transaction fee.
3.Paypal's exchange rate is not good.

I found XE.com, the rate seems the best, plus no other fee, but I concern about its security. It asks me to fill in many sensitive information, like driver license number and passport number.

Has anyone used XE.com before? Is it safe to use?

There are only a few discussion about XE.com on google.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What is this obsession with credit checks? How much can this possibly matter? Do you need the service? Sign up. Othe... (more)

ellory (Sep. 04, 2009 @ 2:16a) |

A credit check can trigger an avalanche of adverse action. Just like one straw can break a camel's back. If your credi... (more)

9000 (Sep. 05, 2009 @ 10:39p) |

9K, I feel the same way, thus avoiding anything unnecessary at this point.

Cheapoking (Sep. 06, 2009 @ 11:03a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

XE.com is safe. I have used them in the past and was also suspicious. They are backed by larger bank that my local bank knew about. The reason they ask for lots of ID is due to money laundering regulations.

Don't know about XE.com

but never use xoom.com, it is a scam

XE.com is ok, but checks are a bit slow (2 weeks)

xe.com is legit

XE is safe, but a bit slow if you electronically transfer fund to them. Their exchange rate is competitive.
If you wired, watch for wire fee from sender and receiver bank.

Yes, I have used them between Australia and US

I personally haven't used XE yet, but plan to in the near future. I know a couple people who used it and they are happy with it.

I've used XE.com for several years and am happy with their service. It was a slight pain to setup (there's more involved than just opening an online bank), but the exchange rates and lack of fees more than makes up for it. They go through a lot of pains to verify your identity due to concerns of international money laundering. They recently improved their website platform and can now send funds by free EFT (rather than a $15 wire or slower paper check) to many currencies. (In practice they could do that before but you had to contact them and request bank details). The first transaction takes longer as they will verify the bank account you are sending funds from.

Their exchange rates are hard to beat and they also offer bidding on rates, similar to a limit order.

Thank you all. Yeah, I notice their competitive FX rate and free EFT.
Basically it seems we can do everything online with no fee at all. Way much better than my local bank.
I test using their online calculator, exchange CAD$3000 to USD, I got about $60 more than using PayPal.

I will report once I got everything done. Thanks.

Used xetrade.com for over 4 years now. No problems, although signing up for it feels like a rectal exam with all of the paperwork.

They didn't ask for anything all that unreasonable. The setup process is slow. Once it's set up it's easy. No complaints here.

have also been using them for a while, no complaints. make sure you understand the fees for each form of transfer-- for us it would cost a lot to do an electronic transfer to GBP (as it went through a wire transfer) but nothing to mail a check to a relative to deposit for us.

I'm thinking about moving a fairly large amount of Euro from our Netherlands house sale to USD and am a bit nervous due to the size of the transfer. Would like to talk with a real person who has done this with XE. If anyone is interested, contact me at stu_judith_johnson@yahoo.com, thanks Stuart Johnson

XE.com is legit, I've used them many times for my business, it's actually just a private label version of a company called Customs House based out in Vancouver Island, Canada.

StuJ said: I'm thinking about moving a fairly large amount of Euro from our Netherlands house sale to USD and am a bit nervous due to the size of the transfer. Would like to talk with a real person who has done this with XE. If anyone is interested, contact me at stu_judith_, thanks Stuart Johnsonremove your email address before you are spammed by email harvesters

Can XE be used for transferring CAD to Indian Rupee (INR) also?
How long does it take? and how are the exchange rates while sending?
Appreciated any info on this.

OneDers said: Can XE be used for transferring CAD to Indian Rupee (INR) also?
How long does it take? and how are the exchange rates while sending?
Appreciated any info on this.
Check the site. Your questions are answered there

Their TOS mentions a credit check; is it a soft?

Thanks.
Would be great to hear from anyone here who may have used it for transferring to India.

Cheapoking said: Their TOS mentions a credit check; is it a soft?What is this obsession with credit checks? How much can this possibly matter? Do you need the service? Sign up. Otherwise, don't

ellory said: Cheapoking said: Their TOS mentions a credit check; is it a soft?What is this obsession with credit checks? How much can this possibly matter? Do you need the service? Sign up. Otherwise, don't
A credit check can trigger an avalanche of adverse action. Just like one straw can break a camel's back. If your creditors are in the process of deciding which customers to cancel and/or reduce, because they're reducing their total exposure, one credit check can reduce your score in some cases just enough to put you over the line to be among those who will get the AA. Once you get AA from one creditor, it can trigger AA from the next creditor, if you were near the line with them too. Etc.

For that reason, I've been careful to avoid anything that involves a hard pull. I still have 90%+ of the credit I had before the crunch, and would like to keep most of it. I wanted to open an account with Alliant CU recently, to get their savings rate, but decided to use Redneck and Discover Bank instead, because they don't do hard pulls and Alliant does.

In other words, it's not an obsession. It's just common sense, to avoid the same AA so many other people are getting.

9K, I feel the same way, thus avoiding anything unnecessary at this point.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014