• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
gonewiththewind said: jerry2003 said: shame on verizon

Verizon as a company doesnt care what you think of them..they DO NOT deliver on any promises...its just unbelievable that without caring for your customers you still do succeed in business...

This is what we get when these low life, bunch of useless DSL companies get a monopoly in certain markets.

In case anybody wants to complain to Verizon or the state regulators, we should get the terminology straight. There is nothing called "EZ Numbers". There is a Verizon offering called "Easy Number" that allows a business to get a 555 number, like 212-555-6060. These numbers do not cost extra to call and are not what we are talking about here. The rip-off numbers that we are discussing in this thread are called "Pay-per-Call" numbers. The well known variant is the long-distance pay-per-call number with a 900 area code. The insidous ones are local pay-per-call numbers that look like ordinary phone numbers, except that you get robbed every time you call one.

Mickie3 said: lray said: How about we get this for our home phone number and give it out to as many telemarketers as possible?

also, don't forget the "charities" (that aren't), political calls, etc. that are nuisances, too. I may not feel as bad about answering the phone and hanging up on them if I was making $25 a call or so.

THANKS for an awesome idea!

Lets move this thread to Hot Deals and start making money!!

Well this topic piqued my interest since I have been in telcom for quite a while and it seems like I heard of these pay-per call exchanges but never looked into it. LERG is what all the telcos go by for the routing of phone numbers. Great info can be found in the following link: http://www.trainfo.com/products_services/tra/downloads/lerginfo....

Here's a point of interest from the doc. For the layman, NPA=Area Code, NXX=Exchange or the 3 numbers following the area code

4.8 976-LIKE Codes

976-LIKE codes are NXXs that function as NXX 976 codes. 976 has been used essentially as an NXX for pay services provided by various Service Providers (e.g. lottery numbers, time, weather, etc.). Use may vary by NPA. In response to consumer issues, regulatory decisions, etc. (all of which may vary by state and company) non-976 NXXs have been established in some jurisdictions to function as 976. These 976-LIKE NXXs may be used to isolate certain types of services from those provided via 976. These NXXs are routed to the Service Providers’ processes (not necessarily a specific switch) and are usually IntraLATA in nature. Such codes may be found in the LERG as a type of “Oddball” code and should carry the COCTYPE value of INP (Information Provider), although all INP coded records are not necessarily “976-Like” situations.

Anyways, all exchanges that are supposed to pay-per call should be flagged with COCTYPE=INP. If you are really worried about it you could try calling your provider and ask for a list of all exchanges that are INP and never calls those. As LERG says though, use may vary in different area codes. All '554' numbers are not bad but I would be wary about dialing any 908-554 number. I don't think these scams pop up to much because no one wants to pay probably but it is still messed up that these do actually exist.

When I first got Vonage, they stated that they would not complete calls to any pay-per-call phone number. Don't know if that's still true, but if it is, calling from Vonage (and probably any other VOIP line) would be a decent layer of protection against these scams.

Can OP change the title since we've established these are not called "EZ numbers"?

I never respond to craigslist emails that contain no specific reference to the listed item. Scam emails invariably use generic language, whereas >95% of legitimate buyers will mention your item when emailing you.

Could this 401-285-0701 (friendship outsourcing) joke number be pay a per call? Everyone is emailing to call it and it's posted around the net, but I just read the thread which made me wonder.

jennatx said: Could this 401-285-0701 (friendship outsourcing) joke number be pay a per call? Everyone is emailing to call it and it's posted around the net, but I just read the thread which made me wonder.

Could very well be, as googling it shows that it has been posted for a myriad of things (including a free laptop, case, etc. on CL). Smells like a scam to me.

Just block pay per call services on your phone, or call from a cell/voip #.

I also battled Verizon about this number (908-554-2787) and got no where. It's odd because clearly, the language in the FCC handbook of regulations covers this type of pay-per-call service. The only dividing line is that the regulation specifically addresses 800 numbers.

However, I believe the spirit of the regulation covers "easy numbers" because the number dialed is "widely understood to be toll-free." Or at the very least, not a pay-per-call service.

I suppose that is the loop-hole Verizon is banking on. Either way, it shows Verizons propensity for dishonesty when it comes to a one-time windfall.

I also filed a complaint with the FCC. Everyone reading this should do the same, it's very fast and very easy on the internet at: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

That's the only was this is going to stop.

I also battled Verizon about this number (908-554-2787) and got no where. It's odd because clearly, the language in the FCC handbook of regulations covers this type of pay-per-call service. The only dividing line is that the regulation specifically addresses 800 numbers.

However, I believe the spirit of the regulation covers "easy numbers" because the number dialed is "widely understood to be toll-free." Or at the very least, not a pay-per-call service.

I suppose that is the loop-hole Verizon is banking on. Either way, it shows Verizons propensity for dishonesty when it comes to a one-time windfall.

I also filed a complaint with the FCC. Everyone reading this should do the same, it's very fast and very easy on the internet at: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

myf16 said: I never respond to craigslist emails that contain no specific reference to the listed item. Scam emails invariably use generic language, whereas >95% of legitimate buyers will mention your item when emailing you.

The scammers are getting more creative, just sending you a generic email expressing interest and hoping you will take the bait. Then they will reel you in with a money order scam or some other scam.

If the email doesn't mention any specifics about your item, don't respond to the email in any way. That's the safe way to play it.

POed said: I also battled Verizon about this number (908-554-2787) and got no where. It's odd because clearly, the language in the FCC handbook of regulations covers this type of pay-per-call service. The only dividing line is that the regulation specifically addresses 800 numbers.

****SOLUTION*****

I received an phone call from Verizon's customer service department THE DAY AFTER I filed a complaint with my states Board of Public Utilities. The Verizon representitive apologized and announced that I would received a full credit.

I can't believe I spent untold hours arguing with the script readers in the toll-billing department when all I needed to do was file a complaint with the state board -- although both the FCC and the state board request that you make a concerted effort to resolve the issue before you file.

There is hope for the little guy being abused by the giant corporate rip-off machine and it's called the government!! Reality is sometimes stranger than fiction!

ATT will block all calls to 900 and 976 numbers upon request.

BradMajors said: ATT will block all calls to 900 and 976 numbers upon request.

No Brad, this isn't about 900 or even 700 numbers -- I had that block. As a matter of fact, when I set up my Verizon account I was adamant about blocking ALL pay-per-call services and was assured that I would never incur such a charge.

The number we're talking about here appears as a normal or local, non-toll number. It is a (fairly) new service (scam) called "Easy Number."

A block for "Easy Numbers" is now available but it must be specifically requested. I'd do so as soon as possible.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014