• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I haven't read much recently about single-use or "virtual" credit card numbers. Which banks are still offering them and if you use them, how's it working for you?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
First time posting here, just to chime in on the Citi virtual number generator. I set one up to expire in 1 month while ... (more)

xavierjay (Aug. 27, 2009 @ 4:07a) |

imo, Citi beats competitors hand down when it comes VAN.

Though, there are instances were i like Discover's.. especially ... (more)

skepticShopper (Aug. 28, 2009 @ 12:10a) |

what Citi credit card still gives Virtual card number and also the Cash Back amount? if anybody can send me the link or ... (more)

MikeNagy (Sep. 10, 2009 @ 7:51p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have you tried google? Google is your friend! I use it and I love it!

Discover still offers it - I don't carry the card - so it's kinda nice to be able to get a quick "online number" for a nice sub $1.00 online purchase that they'll credit me for.
AMEX doesn't offer.
Citi I think does?

I used ShopSafe with my Schwab card to make hotel reservations overseas. Many of my reservations were made entirely by email, and I didn't feel comfortable emailing my real number around, so I generated a bunch of $200 2-month account numbers and send those instead. Worked fine, though nothing was ever charged to them (I used my real card to pay once I was there).

Citi offers it. I use it sometimes when purchasing stuff from online vendors I don't have much experience with.

I like Citi's Virtual Account Number system because you can limit dollar amount as well as set the expiration date, you can see how much is left on each of your VAN's that are unexpired, and you can extend their limits or close them at any time. Basically, they give you a lot of control.

What I don't like is that the program is that while it is Flash based, it runs through a stupid Windows system tray thing (and is Windows only). You can access it through their web site, instead, but it is a lot of clicks to get into it, and when it pops up, you have to log in a second time.

FIA Card services has it.

B of A Visa has it also.

sneakymoose said: I like Citi's Virtual Account Number system because you can limit dollar amount as well as set the expiration date, you can see how much is left on each of your VAN's that are unexpired, and you can extend their limits or close them at any time. Basically, they give you a lot of control.

What I don't like is that the program is that while it is Flash based, it runs through a stupid Windows system tray thing (and is Windows only). You can access it through their web site, instead, but it is a lot of clicks to get into it, and when it pops up, you have to log in a second time.

Direct link to citi's van:

https://www.accountonline.com/Athena/PageServlet/thinclient.prod...

Citi's van is very nice, and is one of the two reasons I still keep my citi card (the other is that it's my oldest card ). I tried out discover's, but it wasn't as nice. You can't put limits on it, and it doesn't expire; you have to close it by emailing/calling them.

I'm getting a Schwab card soon, so I'll try that out.

I read that if you generate a virtual CC number and setup some sort of automatic payment with someplace, and then you cancel the virtual CC, it will still bill your regular main CC anyway. Is this true?

tripleB said: I read that if you generate a virtual CC number and setup some sort of automatic payment with someplace, and then you cancel the virtual CC, it will still bill your regular main CC anyway. Is this true?

No; they don't know your regular CC number.

jellysandwichx said: tripleB said: I read that if you generate a virtual CC number and setup some sort of automatic payment with someplace, and then you cancel the virtual CC, it will still bill your regular main CC anyway. Is this true?

What I read said that rather than denying the CC number on a recurring payment, the CC company will transfer the bill over to your main account if you close the virtual account, since the virtual account is always going to be tied to your main account whether you close it or not.

tripleB said: jellysandwichx said: tripleB said: I read that if you generate a virtual CC number and setup some sort of automatic payment with someplace, and then you cancel the virtual CC, it will still bill your regular main CC anyway. Is this true?

What I read said that rather than denying the CC number on a recurring payment, the CC company will transfer the bill over to your main account if you close the virtual account, since the virtual account is always going to be tied to your main account whether you close it or not.

They can't do that if you set it up with a time limit and a dollar limit. Citi allows you to set it up that way. I always use Citi's virtual credit card with both a time and a date limit on trial subscriptions that automatically converts to a recurring subscription. I'm protected in the event I forget to cancel after the trial.

Citi, Discover, FIA Schwab all have the virtual account # option on their sites.

I really love shop safe by Schwab. I use it with all the time for online shopping.

shallot said: tripleB said: jellysandwichx said: tripleB said: I read that if you generate a virtual CC number and setup some sort of automatic payment with someplace, and then you cancel the virtual CC, it will still bill your regular main CC anyway. Is this true?

They can't do that if you set it up with a time limit and a dollar limit. Citi allows you to set it up that way. I always use Citi's virtual credit card with both a time and a date limit on trial subscriptions that automatically converts to a recurring subscription. I'm protected in the event I forget to cancel after the trial.
They don't always work:
Previous discussion
I personally had eFax charges in excess of the VAN limit post to my account. It seems to happen most after the VAN has expired or been deleted (trial site preauthorizes a few $1 charges to test the card, nothing ever happens to that card so you close the number) for Citi.

Merchants can push transactions into settlement without an authorization number for whatever amount they put in. It will then be posted to your account, if your bank doesn't automatically issue a chargeback.

VAN's aren't perfect, but they're a lot better than using your regular card number. You still have to check your statement but you should be doing that anyway.

Discover sucks because the original merchant can use the virtual number more than once.
How do I know? It happened to me.
The Discover CSR told me that the program simply prevents anyone other than the original merchant from using the virtual card number.
I use Citi virtual, one time use and you can set a $$ limit.

i use citi and schwab virtual credit card numbers . very helpful and safe for online purchases .

First time posting here, just to chime in on the Citi virtual number generator. I set one up to expire in 1 month while doing the myFICO.com free trial. Sure enough when I forgot to cancel, the $89.95 charge posted to my account just fine, even though the virtual account number had expired.

Luckily, the myFICO people were very nice, and refunded the charge when I called them up two days late.

So, don't count on the expiration dates to save you on limited-time free trials.

imo, Citi beats competitors hand down when it comes VAN.

Though, there are instances were i like Discover's.. especially when paying utility bills.

Also, i have seen verified by visa option but seems very restricted as far as vendor acceptance goes.

what Citi credit card still gives Virtual card number and also the Cash Back amount? if anybody can send me the link or name of the card, I would appreciate.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014