• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
saw this on nbc news...

http://givinganon.org/

Lets you send a check to anyone, no cost for amounts under $500.

anyone willing to check how Credit cards process these donations?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'd worry they'd charge your card, and then the check would bounce.

I don't feel comfortable about abusing this for personal gain.

Others with less ethical standards... feel free.

From their site: said: Be Advised: Our books are open to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is against the law to use Giving Anonymously to pay employees as a way of avoiding payroll taxes. (See FAQ's for more information on taxes and giving). We reserve the right to not process gift transactions if we suspect our site is being used for other purposes.

Personally, I'd try to be respectful of the non-profit's mission and not run a bunch of personal transactions through their system. Unless they have gotten a waiver from their credit card processor, they are going to be paying fees on each transaction. Also, it is going to cost them money to cut the checks/etc.

Please Note: Gifts are not tax deductible.Giving Anonymously is a Washington State Registered Nonprofit Organization

ellory said: Please Note: Gifts are not tax deductible.Giving Anonymously is a Washington State Registered Nonprofit Organization

How are the gifts not tax deductible?

"Keep Giving Anonymously Going Help us cover the costs involved in providing this service. (Please note that donations to Giving Anonymously are not tax deductible)."

Something isn't right about gifts to a non-profit not being tax deductible...

theman2 said: From their site: said: Be Advised: Our books are open to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is against the law to use Giving Anonymously to pay employees as a way of avoiding payroll taxes. (See FAQ's for more information on taxes and giving). We reserve the right to not process gift transactions if we suspect our site is being used for other purposes.

Personally, I'd try to be respectful of the non-profit's mission and not run a bunch of personal transactions through their system. Unless they have gotten a waiver from their credit card processor, they are going to be paying fees on each transaction. Also, it is going to cost them money to cut the checks/etc.

"Contribution to Overhead Costs: Why can't I contribute less than 3% for gifts over $500.00?

A The 3% minimum is to cover banking and transaction charges which range between 2.4% - 5.9% for each gift transaction. The contribution also helps pay for a postage stamp, the check, envelope and brochure. Whatever is left goes towards our overhead costs. We've wanted this service to be free to give through but a 3% contribution for gifts over $500.00 is as close as we could get. "

johnnybs said: ellory said: Please Note: Gifts are not tax deductible.Giving Anonymously is a Washington State Registered Nonprofit Organization

How are the gifts not tax deductible?

My interpretation is that they're referring to gifts to individuals, not to charitable organizations. Gifts to individuals are that, gifts. Gifts to charitable (not just non-profit-the NFL is/was "non-profit") organizations are (generally) deductible.

I wonder what their checks look like? If they look anything like my bank's BillPay checks (which almost look like a mail-in-rebate) check with the tear off sides, then I suspect a lot of recipients might toss the check thinking it was junk mail or some kind of scam.

lonestarguy said: I wonder what their checks look like? If they look anything like my bank's BillPay checks (which almost look like a mail-in-rebate) check with the tear off sides, then I suspect a lot of recipients might toss the check thinking it was junk mail or some kind of scam. That's why they don't mail the check until after they have contacted the recipient by phone or email to make sure they are expecting the check and willing to accept it.

https://www.justgive.org to make anonymous tax-deductible donations to the IRS-recognized charitable organizations. Rack the rewards and a tax receipt for 100% of your gift. The charity gets 97% of your donation (processor's cost 3%).

johnnybs said: "Keep Giving Anonymously Going Help us cover the costs involved in providing this service. (Please note that donations to Giving Anonymously are not tax deductible)."

Something isn't right about gifts to a non-profit not being tax deductible...
You're ultimately giving money to a person, it just happens to go through this non-profit first. Besides, tax consequences don't matter since you will be eventually getting this money back...

Terms & Conditions said: Be Advised: Our books are open to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It is against the law to use Giving Anonymously to pay employees as a way of avoiding payroll taxes. (See FAQ's for more information on taxes and giving). We reserve the right to not process gift transactions if we suspect our site is being used for other purposes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014