Credit card blocked country lists

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Fort Knox Federal credit union offers the same credit card as Penfed and I was looking around their site and noticed their new "Blocked Country List"
Fort Knox FCU blocked countries

If you're planning a trip out of the country, please check the status of using your Fort Knox Federal Credit Union issued VISA Credit and/or Debit card in the country you're visiting. Because of increasing number of international credit card fraud cases, Fort Knox Federal has limited (or blocked) use of Credit Union issued cards in certain countries. This is done to protect you from becoming a fraud victim.
The following is a list of all countries that are blocked from any type of use for the CREDIT / DEBIT card:
Australia
Lativa
Saudi Arabia
Brazil
Lithuania
Singapore
Canada
Malaysia
South Africa
China
Mexico
Spain
Cyprus
Morocco
Taiwan
El Salvador
Panama
Thailand
Estonia
Poland
Turkey
Hong Kong
Romania
Ukraine
Indonesia
Russia
Viet Nam

This is something I haven't seen before and I wonder if it will become more prevelant in the future. Does anybody know of any other issuer doing this?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Where is Lativa? The fools can't even spell.

omarECD (Oct. 07, 2009 @ 5:55p) |

Where have you been?

The Thai women love SIS long time.

DPG (Oct. 07, 2009 @ 6:22p) |

SUCKISSTAPLES (Oct. 07, 2009 @ 10:20p) |

In more readable alphabetical order:
Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
Cyprus
El Salvador
Estonia
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Lativa
Lithuania
Malaysia
Mexico
Morocco
Panama
Poland
Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
Viet Nam
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Interesting that Canada, Mexico and Australia are on the list. I have seen similar lists, though not including those countries. Usually just the highest fraud/less traveled countries.

I always call and notify my issuer of credit cards and ATM cards before I travel out of the country.

I'm more concerned about the other post here today that was talking about US Cards not working at all due to the fact that elsewhere in the world they are moving to chipped credit cards

I didn't read it as a list that could be circumvented by calling the issuer before you visited.
It seems to apply to online transactions for merchants from those countries as well.

retmil said:
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Viet Nam

So much for my 2010 south east asia sex vacation

A good example where Credit Unions can be difficult to do business with unless you have very basic financial needs.

My old Credit Union didn't allow third party checks (for example - if your son got a $15 birthday check from Grandma... if you son wasn't on your account, than that check couldn't go in your account.) Seriously - I even spoke with the manager, had $10k+ in the account, and had been a member for close to 10 years - and they still wouldn't allow the check.

does penfed block the same countries? Turkey, I cant believe that its impossible a nato ally with us bases???

this is crazy the only nation i ever heard of being blocked was cuba and that was b/c of us governt not cc banks.

tripleB said: retmil said:
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Viet Nam

No soapie for you.

From a well experienced traveller, I strongly suggest that anyone travelling overseas take 2-3 ATM cards and at least 2 charge cards, one of them being AMEX. Be prepared to call in a list of potential countries before you go, and expect at least one of the banks to screw up.

But thanks to Skype being available, you can at least call in to bitch about them screwing up.

frank10b said: does penfed block the same countries? Turkey, I cant believe that its impossible a nato ally with us bases???
Turkey on the list impresses you more than Canada and Australia?

The list was in alphabetical order but didn't transpose well with a cut and paste.

frank10b said: does penfed block the same countries? Turkey, I cant believe that its impossible a nato ally with us bases???
They have Canada and Australia on the list, and you are wondering about Turkey? Seriously?

What I am more surprised about is the fact that Nigeria is NOT on the list!

My Penfed card still works when used on a recent trip to Hongkong & Australia (8/2009). Did call and inform them ahead of time though.

I recently (about 2-3 months ago) pre-ordered something online with a Chase VISA card and then a few weeks later I got a notice from the online merchant that my credit card was declined. At first I thought that maybe I entered something wrong so I retried and again it didn't work. A little time after that (maybe a couple hours or a day) I got an automated call from Chase telling me they declined the purchase and locked my credit card. Why? because it was for a couple hundred dollars and from a company based out of Singapore.

Not exactly what you're saying, but they banned the purchase because it was a company in Singapore trying to place the charge on my card. After I called Chase to unlock the card (and find out why they locked it) I then was allowed to make the purchase (although I didn't after having buyers remorse!).

Edit to add - the company was a subsidiary of Creative Technologies (Creative Labs), so it wasn't like it was a small fly-by-night business.

Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Viet Nam

Be sure to thank your CC companies for preventing his latest attempt to procreate.

Nice to see my home country in the list...

Anyway, here's the list A-Z:

Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
Cyprus
El Salvador
Estonia
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Latvia
Lithuania
Malaysia
Mexico
Morocco
Panama
Poland
Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
Viet Nam

"Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher or
Netscape 4.7 or higher Recommended"

is it 1998 again?

I don't know how the economy of Estonia will be able to withstand this crippling blow.

Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Viet Nam

Keep dreaming , they don't take credit card.

actually they do, sone high end establishments run cashless machines with just a terminal at your table to pay for the ladies' time

SUCKISSTAPLES said: actually they do, sone high end establishments run cashless machines with just a terminal at your table to pay for the ladies' time

Is there some more knowledge on this that you'd like to share with us, SIS?

& Netherlands, too.

Ecuadorgr said: frank10b said: does penfed block the same countries? Turkey, I cant believe that its impossible a nato ally with us bases???
They have Canada and Australia on the list, and you are wondering about Turkey? Seriously?

What I am more surprised about is the fact that Nigeria is NOT on the list!

Thanks OP. I learn something new today. I have the usual CCs and never call ahead before getting on the plane. Probably should start doing it next time around just to be sure.

I've used Penfed to charge in Turkey, Brazil, Argentina, and South Africa.

In (more useful) alphabetical order:

Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
Cyprus
El Salvador
Estonia
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Lativa
Lithuania
Malaysia
Mexico
Morocco
Panama
Poland
Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Africa
Spain
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
Viet Nam

Where is Lativa? The fools can't even spell.

TrueKnight said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: actually they do, sone high end establishments run cashless machines with just a terminal at your table to pay for the ladies' time

Where have you been?

The Thai women love SIS long time.

TrueKnight said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: actually they do, sone high end establishments run cashless machines with just a terminal at your table to pay for the ladies' time

sure...Welcome to BBOSS

http://www.club-bboss.com/eng/svc.html

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014