Purchasing Discounted Gift Cards

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was interested to know if anyone has experience in purchasing gift cards from secondary retailers like plastic jungle, abc gift cards, monster gift cards, gift cards again, or other sites. I did try purchasing a gift card on eBay which never came and had to obtain a refund through a paypal dispute so I think there is a fair amount of fraud through that site and I don't think I will do that again.

One concern is that the numbers on the back of the gift card including the pin may arrive already scratched off so that someone could still use the gift card for an online purchase after is is sold. Has this ever happened? Thank you.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

IMO, rarely is it worth the hassle... Seems like many go almost even $1:$1 on eBay.

Redeeming credit card rewards for gift cards, and/or just getting 2-5% CashBack on the purchase has worked well for me.

It's been years since I did these - google deal pass

No problems with eBay cards. I only purchase from sellers with high ratings and good feedback. With the bing CashBack, you get an extra 8% off the price. Plastic Jungle claims to guarantee all transactions.

I bought about $200 worth of cards from ABC gift cards and had no problems with them.

I also buy gift cards from eBay and lately I have had no problems. I only bid up to 85% of face value. The retailer I buy gift cards for does not allow gift card redemption online, so I think it is relatively safe to buy off eBay.

The problem with the 8% bing Cash Back is that there is a limited amount of Cash Back transaction per eBay account per lifetime. So you would want to use it only on big ticket items.

I buy ~1-2k per month off eBay but it takes a lot of work. I average ~20% off on all cards except costco which is ~6% off after bing. I check about 5x a day as good deals(10% off ) only last a hour or two then add 2% eBay bucks, 2% ebates and 8% bing.

How do you bundle Ebates and Bing? I didn't think it was possible to get CashBack from both on the same purchase.

I only buy from my local grocery store, use a 3% cash-back card, then combine with FW or Bing Cash Back.

In the past 15 months, we've bought in excess of $30K of gift cards on eBay to major retailers - Costco, Target, WalMart, safeway, Home Depot - taking advantage of the MS CashBack promo. We've paid an average of 75-80% of face value for these purchases.Of the 120+ cards purchased, we've had to request credit rom PayPal/eBay on 10 of them - a nuisance, but we always received the $. As a previous poster noted, it's a good idea to buy from reputable sellers with good FB and a large number of transactions.
We've also sold about $10K of these when the CashBack premium rose high enough to cover fees and still make a modest profit. The remaining cards we use for regular purchases, remodeling/house maintenance expenses, etc.

mihai124 said: I also buy gift cards from eBay and lately I have had no problems. I only bid up to 85% of face value. The retailer I buy gift cards for does not allow gift card redemption online, so I think it is relatively safe to buy off eBay.

The problem with the 8% bing Cash Back is that there is a limited amount of Cash Back transaction per eBay account per lifetime. So you would want to use it only on big ticket items.

You can have as many eBay Account as you would like. I use it on ALL buy it now items, Once you hit 20 items, open another eBay buying account!

TDSAX said: How do you bundle Ebates and Bing? I didn't think it was possible to get CashBack from both on the same purchase.
You have to click through Bing to activate the gold coin, which should be active for a given length of time. After that is active you can use the same browser window and open ebates to click through to eBay again. That should activate both CashBack methods. Just an FYI, Mr Rebates is 3%. I believe ebates is 2%.

rhino850 said: mihai124 said: I also buy gift cards from eBay and lately I have had no problems. I only bid up to 85% of face value. The retailer I buy gift cards for does not allow gift card redemption online, so I think it is relatively safe to buy off eBay.

You can have as many eBay Account as you would like. I use it on ALL buy it now items, Once you hit 20 items, open another eBay buying account!
Agreed! It's a whole lot easier now that MS raised the limit to 20. When they started this promo, the limit was 3, which is why we wound up with 17 eBay accts

The thing I dont like about eBay as a giftcard buyer is what is to stop someone from sending me a card with very little or no value. As long as the fraudulent seller sends with Signature Confirmation to follow PayPal Policy, the buyer will have a very hard time proving to PayPal that the card was worth $5 instead of $500

xoneinax said: The thing I dont like about eBay as a giftcard buyer is what is to stop someone from sending me a card with very little or no value. As long as the fraudulent seller sends with Signature Confirmation to follow PayPal Policy, the buyer will have a very hard time proving to PayPal that the card was worth $5 instead of $500I agree that there's a risk there, although we've been lucky so far. It would be nice, though, if more merchants would follow the lead of WalMart, who allows you to monitor the transaction history of a card online. That feature would make it considerably easier to prove your case.

giftcards.com sells gift cards to retailers at a discount. It usually isn't as high as 20%, but you can purchase it with a credit card and without the hassle of dealing with an eBay seller of questionable repute.

I had trouble a couple month's ago purchasing Cabela's gift cards on eBay. A seller was buying them with stolen credit cards and selling $100 card for $80. Cabela's removed the value from the cards I purchased and refunded the fraudulent transactions. I would be very wary of any seller that offers to email the gift card information combined with an item description in broken English.

There is another class of dishonest eBay gift card sellers that sell merchandise credit. Sometimes I purchase a gift card and receive 3 or 4 merchandise credit cards. I suspect these people of shoplifting and returning the items w/o receipt. I don't see much danger in you being out the money, but I don't like making their crime pay.

kjgco said: xoneinax said: The thing I dont like about eBay as a giftcard buyer is what is to stop someone from sending me a card with very little or no value. As long as the fraudulent seller sends with Signature Confirmation to follow PayPal Policy, the buyer will have a very hard time proving to PayPal that the card was worth $5 instead of $500I agree that there's a risk there, although we've been lucky so far. It would be nice, though, if more merchants would follow the lead of WalMart, who allows you to monitor the transaction history of a card online. That feature would make it considerably easier to prove your case.

Or even better yet for an item under $300 signature confirmation is not required. A seller could send an empty box to anywhere in your zip code the USPS delivery confirmation would should that the item was delivered to zip code XXXXXX on a certain date and PayPal will automatically deny the buyer's claim based on that. If you do purchase on eBay always use a credit card.

xoneinax said: The thing I dont like about eBay as a giftcard buyer is what is to stop someone from sending me a card with very little or no value. As long as the fraudulent seller sends with Signature Confirmation to follow PayPal Policy, the buyer will have a very hard time proving to PayPal that the card was worth $5 instead of $500

Nonsense, you file an "item not a described" and paypal will 99% of the time refund your money. The buyer has virtually no burden of proof. If not, then file a dispute with your CC company. PayPal is notorious for refunding money to buyers even when the seller has outstanding documentation. If you are ever short on cash, buy something pricy on eBay, pay through paypal, then claim you received an empty box. I'll eat a turd sandwich if don't get a refund.

I would recommend giftcard purchases on eBay so long as the seller is verified. I virtually have stopped all selling on eBay since it's virtually impossible to insure yourself in any way from fraud. Never sell something you can't afford to lose. No insurance (USPS or otherwise) will refund you for lost/stolen giftcards (maybe registered mail) I sold some mall giftcard last year that I bought for the discover mall promo thing. Those were pretty safe since I could cancel and have the reissued to me if they went missing of if a buyer claimed they weren't what I claimed them to be.

VerbalK said: xoneinax said: The thing I dont like about eBay as a giftcard buyer is what is to stop someone from sending me a card with very little or no value. As long as the fraudulent seller sends with Signature Confirmation to follow PayPal Policy, the buyer will have a very hard time proving to PayPal that the card was worth $5 instead of $500

Nonsense, you file an "item not a described" and paypal will 99% of the time refund your money. The buyer has virtually no burden of proof. If not, then file a dispute with your CC company. PayPal is notorious for refunding money to buyers even when the seller has outstanding documentation. If you are ever short on cash, buy something pricy on eBay, pay through paypal, then claim you received an empty box. I'll eat a turd sandwich if don't get a refund.

I would recommend giftcard purchases on eBay so long as the seller is verified. I virtually have stopped all selling on eBay since it's virtually impossible to insure yourself in any way from fraud. Never sell something you can't afford to lose. No insurance (USPS or otherwise) will refund you for lost/stolen giftcards (maybe registered mail) I sold some mall giftcard last year that I bought for the discover mall promo thing. Those were pretty safe since I could cancel and have the reissued to me if they went missing of if a buyer claimed they weren't what I claimed them to be.

Doesn't the buyer have to ship the item back to the seller and show confirmation for not as described cases? Then after the confirmation number is given to PayPal the money is refunded. I'm sure there is a simple way around that, but I think that's the general procedure.

Also, a fradulent seller is not going to last long on eBay. After two or three problems with these types of purchases, eBay will ban their seller ID as well as "most" new attempts to create new eBay id's from the same ip address or physical address. I have very little fear of buying on eBay, but as a seller, I'm more worried and HATE seeing a just sold to a buyer with 0 feedback. I wish I could make a rule on my seller page that I'll only sell to eBay members with 10+ positive feedback.

I had lots of $500 WalMart giftcards to sell, and out of 7 sales, 5 of them never received payment (as the buyer was just hoping I'd ship it). All of those buyer's had 0 feedback, and it wasn't b/c they were opening new accounts for Bing. Fortunately, I've learned to check the "requirement payment immediatly" box to prevent this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014