• Go to page :
  • 1 2 34
  • Text Only
tante said: I think the time to boycott credit cards is just around the corner. If stores would man up and give a 3% cash discount or the reward program would die (like should happen in Feb 2010) then people may start flocking to cash again.

Even if this happens, you can just use your debit cards instead. No reason to be rolling in cash.

I dont have one but I just checked my dad's account and its closed:

"Account Alert:This account has been converted to a new number or was closed at your request. If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Care Center."

RandomHandle said: bargainhunter3 said: Would it say anything on their website when you log in?

Nope. Nothing. Didn't even indicate the account was closed. I had to call and speak to a rep to find that out.

Could anyone with closed account check on the web site if your available credit still shows something. I would expect it to go to 0, even if there're no other indications.

olegos said: RandomHandle said: bargainhunter3 said: Would it say anything on their website when you log in?

Nope. Nothing. Didn't even indicate the account was closed. I had to call and speak to a rep to find that out.

Could anyone with closed account check on the web site if your available credit still shows something. I would expect it to go to 0, even if there're no other indications.

When I closed my other Citi card last year that was an alert at the top of my home page saying something like this account has been closed, when I logged on to my shell site, I didn't see the same notice. I still haven't tried my card yet.

olegos said: RandomHandle said: bargainhunter3 said: Would it say anything on their website when you log in?

Mine shows I still have about 11000 of my 12000 line available. Confirmed closed last night when I tried to refill my tank. Citi closed it out effective morning of the 15th (right before my statement end date of today), and I lose my earned rewards this statement cycle 5% of $1000 in shell fuel purchases = $50.

Credit reports are fine and score should be 750 or higher. Only "negative" would be a car loan and some inquiries as I am shopping around for mortgages from a few CUs.

this was my last account with citi, and the only reason it was kept open was because of age and the large credit line. according to the account manager it will show up on my credit report as "account closed by bank". Any idea what that would mean to a lender looking at my credit??

OK, so I don't know how much they ripped all of us off but I just saw my statement. I purchased over $50 of shell gas and had reward to be applied to it. They decided that it was not use of reward and did not credit my account. I have already disputed the charges and sent a complaint to the BBB. Citi = pondscum. I have to make sure to take advantage of their get paid for opening bank account offers from now on.

12Turtles said: OK, so I don't know how much they ripped all of us off but I just saw my statement. I purchased over $50 of shell gas and had reward to be applied to it. They decided that it was not use of reward and did not credit my account. I have already disputed the charges and sent a complaint to the BBB.

So you didn't get the gas from Shell? Why would you dispute this charge?

It was a use of the reward not applied...I bought the gas with expectation that it was use of a reward as it is not like we could order a gas card or the like to use the reward.

It looks like they did the same to me. Downloaded my 10/13 statement & previous $27.23 rebate was not redeemed automatically (which it always has been) and earned this statement is $0.00 despite my $1.5k spending.

We're getting hosed. I'm planning on filing BBB and FTC complaints. Anyone ever done this before? Any tips on how to get a response?

12Turtles said: I have to make sure to take advantage of their get paid for opening bank account offers from now onWell, as its once per SSN, wait for an offer that counts

Good idea xoneinax. Regarding the BBB:

Go to BBB.org and there will be file a complaint link -

I would complain to CitiCards Inc. - their address is

Citibank
PO Box 6000
Sioux Falls, SD 57117

They are not listed with the BBB but it hits the Office of the President of Citicards. It worked in resolving Credit Protector fiasco (the 5 $10 gift cards) on a different Citi account.

In my opinion, if you purchase the gas, it is a redemption of the rewards and they owe you that credit and have violated their own card terms.

If all else fails, I would not hesitate to file with small claims. You can file a notice with any branch of Citibank.

Regards,
Tom

I also had my account closed and they said the same thing... some bs about Equifax reporting something. I checked my credit report and there was nothing! I'm pretty sure they are closing accounts because they were not making money. I was getting 5% back on all gas purchases, I only used the card for gas purchases and always paid my balance in full. This is BS.

Used my card this morning to make a $23 grocery store purchase. When logging into my account, everything looks totally normal. Available balance went down by $23 after the grocery store charge. If not for this thread, I wouldn't have any clue that anything is up. I've had the card a little over two years and used it primarily to purchase Shell gas. I would guess 60-80% of my total spending on the card was for gas, and I've always paid my bill in full. I haven't been able to check my credit score since Chase took away the free Providian/Wamu online TU fico score snapshot, but I would have to guess my score is around 785-810, and my overall debt (and utilization ratio) is extremely low. I'm also a Citigold customer with over $100K in Citigroup/SmithBarney investments, so maybe that was a factor in not closing my account (at least for the time being, anyway).

About 11 months ago, I noticed the $25 Shell gift card (for 3500 TYP) and the $50 Shell gift card (for 6000 TYP) were removed from the TYN website. After I accumulated over 10,000 points and I was able to ask for a specific "wish come true" or whatever they call it, I was told that Shell gift cards are no longer available, even by special request. Other than the $25 Sunoco gift card (for 3500 TYP) that was still listed on the website, the only gas card they could offer was a $100 Exxon/Mobil gift card for 12,800 TYP, which I declined. Because the Shell gift cards were no longer available for TYP, I wondered if the Citi/Shell partnership had started to go sour. I know Shell used to have an agreement with Chase, and if I recall correctly, I think the Chase-Shell Mastercard eventually morphed into the Freedom card. This 5% back Shell Mastercard has bounced around a bit over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me if the party is about to end for everyone, including those whose accounts are still active.

But then again, they're still accepting new applications with the same terms as when I applied over two years ago.
https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Apply?app=UNSOL&sc=4TGWE2N6&m=ZSHL0V65R0W&langId=EN&siteId=BKCD_SHELL&B=M

The whole thing seems very strange to me.

Same here! Without notice my Shell card went dead three days ago. I called and they said something negative on my Equifax report caused my credit score to go down. It's not true - I printed my report from Experion, Transunion and Equifax and all three are excellent as usual. There is something up here. If they wreck our credit with this, we have a class action suit on our hands.

cremevette said: If they wreck our credit with this, we have a class action suit on our handsAssuming you pay any recent and outstanding charges of course, none of this can wreck your credit.

Just called customer service, I was told that my account is still open. The CSR told me the same thing about the Equifax report as to why accounts are being closed without notice. Very bizarre.

The card worked on the 13th.Same happened to me on the 14th. I was at a Shell station where several customers were inserting their cards only receive a "declined" message. Was told there was an item in Equifax. Ordered the free copy..nothing negative. Same thing as you had the card for a long time and always paid on time. Rarely carried a balance.

naj58 said: I was at a Shell station where several customers were inserting their cards only receive a "declined" messageWow, so you even witnessed others having the same problem

xoneinax said: cremevette said: If they wreck our credit with this, we have a class action suit on our handsAssuming you pay any recent and outstanding charges of course, none of this can wreck your credit.

xoneinax, it hurts credit score because of less available credit and potentially lowers the average life of your accounts. Given the generic nature of the reason that has been passed on to like thousands of card holder, it could easily be a class action as the reasoning is disingenous. It really depends on if it is illegal to close accounts and provide inaccurate reasons for the closure of the account? It also seems that most account holders learned of their closure by visiting a gas pump instead of receiving a letter or electronic notice.

At best Citi is irresponsible is irresponisble in its treatment of customers. At worst...

I had my Shell MC canceled on Tuesday as well. Always use the card, average charge per year is in excess of $35,000 but always paid in full each month for the last 6 years. They never made a penny off of me in the last 6 years from interest of late fees. they also told me it was related to something in my Equifax report...funny my score is higher today than it was one year ago. I will never do business with Citibank again and will tell others to do the same. Shell is getting a black eye as well I average purchasing over 4000 gallons or gas each year, the business will now go to Exxon, Chevron or Valero.

Same thing happened to me. The sad thing is that there are no laws to protect us. Citibank just reported earlier this week that they were losing tons of money. So why no cancel all the cards that we don't make money on. I have great credit and always paid my Shell Mastercard on time. They make up lies and deleted their link to e-mail customer service. Corporate banks lie and cheat. I am still pissed at CitiBank.

Same thing happened to me. The sad thing is that there are no laws to protect us. Citibank just reported earlier this week that they were losing tons of money. So why no cancel all the cards that we don't make money on. I have great credit and always paid my Shell Mastercard on time. They make up lies and deleted their link to e-mail customer service. Corporate banks lie and cheat. I am still pissed at CitiBank.

I think there will be a class action lawsuit coming soon. This is so bogus. Citibank was losing so much money so they had a strategy to just cheat and lie. What a joke. It may turn out to backfire. I hope CitiBank goes bankrupt because this is not right what they are doing to good people who have good credit and pay their bills.

"something on your Equifax" is pretty vague; it can mean anything

Has everyone noticed how the CSRs are not saying we found something "negative" on your Equifax

12Turtles said: xoneinax, it hurts credit score because of less available credit and potentially lowers the average life of your accountsYeah, but AMEX, Chase, and now BofA have been slashing CLs like crazy and about the only problem they have is "bad press". No fines or real reprimands. I guess Chase backed off a bit on their LifeOfBalance actions, but that was about the only surrender.

Feel free to file a complaint against Citibank. Here's the link to complain against Citibank. I just did.

https://appsec.helpwithmybank.gov/olcc_form/

I went to fill-up my car for the weekend and was declined. When I called, I was told the account was cancelled. I was asked why, "Sir, because of information provided by Equifax." So, I immediately when to Equifax and combed through my report. Spotless. 731 score even. I called Citibank back, and she told me I wasn't the only one. Pretty tactless way of closing an account.

I went to a gas station to fill up, card declined. When I called Shell, I was told that my account was closed due to information provided by Equifax. When I got home, I ran my Equifax report, score 731. So, I called Citibank back, and the representative told me I wasn't the only person that this has been done too. Pretty tacky of Citibank,

iseetrails said: Maybe they closed it because they thought that having to charge a taco was a financial risk. jk

Eat at Taco Bell and die before your next statement? That's probably more likely than if you ate at a normal restaurant, but I don't think Citibank goes that far.

I can't believe Citibank can do something like this to all of us. Is there really nothing we can do other than file a complaint?

ymehuuh said: I can't believe Citibank can do something like this to all of us. Is there really nothing we can do other than file a complaint?
Class Action Law Suit

Ditto here, good credit, paid balances in full, getting gas and declined. Same specious reasons given.

This is the credit card we sent with my daughter to college 800 miles away. What if she was out late with an empty tank relying on this card to get home? This is absolutely irresponsible of citibank not to inform people whose accounts are in good standing. I am furious and will close other citibank accounts I have. There must be something to do to protest this.

Same story…….
I carried this card (Shell Citi Mastercard) for over 5 years. I was always paying on time and never had any problems with it --- until yesterday. After my card was declined I called Citibank customer service and found out that it has been closed because of ….the alarming report from the Equifax. As most of you I have bought a 3-Bureau Credit Report and checked my credit report. “You have no negative accounts on file” and over 720 points – that’s what it says !!!!!!!! In addition, I have called Equifax (it took me an hour! - another great organization) they guy who I have spoken to said that everything is fine and that they didn’t send any report or letter to anyone.
So I have called Citi customer service once again, this time they had a different explanation: agreement between City and Shell has been quashed and many accounts are going to be closed. We are sorry.
Extremely furious I asked for a manager who again lied to me about Equifax report. She said that the previous lady was wrong and that I need to wait for the letter - “it’s going to explain everything”. I still didn’t get it!
Today (October 16) I went to the Citibank – the branch manager called customer service one more time. After 45 minutes of arguing (I have showed him my Equifax report and a few pages printed from this forum!) he said that…. “he is very sorry but unfortunately they don’t have a good explanation for all of that. The lady on a phone added that I should have red what was written in small letters”.
I’m disappointed and angry. I think that their actions are unfair and I’m not going to leave it like that.

Makes you wonder if Citibank doesn't have some financial deal with Equifax - wonder how many people slammed their $35 down for a report thinking someone was using their credit and impacting them negatively.

Pay with cash now?

A couple of months ago Citi sent a replacement card for my PAYPASS CITI Dividend card. This is my main credit card. I didn't bother to read the letter and actually didn't notice it was a replacement for my main card. I didn't recognize the account number so I assumed it was for one of several Citi Cards that I rarely use. I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

A few weeks later I was at the Veterinarian and my card was rejected. Rejected again at the grocery store.

I phoned CITI when I got home.

Someone hacked into a database somewhere and had accessed I guess thousands of credit card numbers etc.
So, because there was a possibility that these accounts could be comprimised, they issued new account numbers.

I dug the new card out of the drawer and activated it. With the card was a letter that warned me that the card I was carrying would be turned off and that I needed to use the new card.

Anyway, I'm interested to find out why CITI cancelled all of your accounts.

ZUZKA said: Same story…….
So I have called Citi customer service once again, this time they had a different explanation: agreement between City and Shell has been quashed and many accounts are going to be closed. We are sorry.

Shell must not get along with the credit card issuers. I used to have a Shell card from Chase where the 5% rewards for gas disappeared from Shell as Shell changed issuer to Citi. While Citi may have screwed up the notification, I would not leave Shell blameless in all of this based on past experience.

Having said that I don't seem to remember that Chase CLOSED the card outright. I believe they just issued another card with the same number and changed the reward terms.

Just wanted to make the obligatory post that closed accounts will not change your average age of accounts. Closed accounts count towards average age just like open ones do. The age will only be affected when the closed accounts eventually are removed from your credit report usually 7 to 10 years later in my experience.

Smart decision by Citi: Close unprofitable accounts

Dumb decision by Citi: Not paying out the rewards on existing purchases, as this likely opens them up to legal liability (just a guess - I'm sure there is 'fine print' that makes this OK but I think the cost will outweigh the benefit in the end on that one).

I think the credit card company should have given some type of written heads-up to all its memebers before just closing the accounts. Tacky Tacky!

I would definitely have been upset if I went to use the card and it was declined without my knowledge of why. How embarrassing for people!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.