Evictions and your record

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
As a tenant, at what point in the eviction process does it go on your record?

For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons. If you go to the hearing, lose, and willingly move out, does your credit report still show an eviction? Or does the sheriff have to show up?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

honey305 said: For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons. If you go to the hearing, loseHow can you lose if the reasons are bullshit ?

xoneinax said: honey305 said: For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons. If you go to the hearing, loseHow can you lose if the reasons are bullshit ?

Bullshit is in the eye of the beholder.

Rephrase: Do evictions for Noncompliance (Violation of Rental Agreement) appear on your credit report (or any other report, for that matter)?

If you are evicted, it may if he reports it to tenant bureaus. If he get s a monetary judgment and you do not pay it may appear on your credit report.

As I love reminding my problem tenants just before I file, once I file it's part of the public record. Any landlord who does a quick and free public court records check (at least in my area) will see there was a civil suit filed against the tenant (and the disposition - case dropped, decision in favor of tenant, or in favor of landlord). I remind the tenant of this so they have the opportunity to move out before it goes "on their permanent record" as I like to say. As a result, most smart tenants will get out quick (like usually 24-48 hrs) which saves me a lot of hassle and legal fees that I may otherwise never collect. It's only the stubborn (or stupid) ones who stay and fight.

Similarly, when I do research on a potential tenant, just the fact that it got to the point of filing is enough for me as a landlord to reject an applicant. Of course, if there isn't a court judgement against the tenant (and just a suit filed/droped or found in favor of the tenant), I'll usually use another reason (such as that prior landlord's reference) as my reason for denial just to be on the safe side.

Mandatory "pay your rent deadbeat"

yeah i used to write software for tenant bureau reporting agents (as well as credit bureau). they would send folks to the court houses that were not automated.

eviction filings were like a nasty bad credit mark; actual eviction or judgements were black death plague marks.

It is true if you have it happen once; it is extremely likely you will have it happen again. based on large amounts of data i've poured through.

for a while mortgage companies consulted these databases as well. since well if you don't pay your rent why would you want to pay your mortgage.

i think there is alot of validity there.

honey305 said: As a tenant, at what point in the eviction process does it go on your record?

For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons. If you go to the hearing, lose, and willingly move out, does your credit report still show an eviction? Or does the sheriff have to show up?

Why not talk to the landlord and ask him/her to not file eviction papers in exchange for you moving out in the next couple of days. It isn't like you are really going to want to stick around with an angry/resentful landlord even if you win in court or at least I wouldn't. This way you can have a clean record and your landlord can save some filing fees.

Of course the next landlord is screwed, because well you're probably a deadbeat tenant and he has no way to know it.

Oh and let's be honest here what landlord in his right mind would make up reasons to evict a paying tenant (assuming your paying your rent)?

honey305 said: As a tenant, at what point in the eviction process does it go on your record?

For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons.

Like not paying your rent, for instance?

civ2k1 said: As I love reminding my problem tenants just before I file, once I file it's part of the public record. Any landlord who does a quick and free public court records check (at least in my area) will see there was a civil suit filed against the tenant (and the disposition - case dropped, decision in favor of tenant, or in favor of landlord). I remind the tenant of this so they have the opportunity to move out before it goes "on their permanent record" as I like to say. As a result, most smart tenants will get out quick (like usually 24-48 hrs) which saves me a lot of hassle and legal fees that I may otherwise never collect. It's only the stubborn (or stupid) ones who stay and fight.

Similarly, when I do research on a potential tenant, just the fact that it got to the point of filing is enough for me as a landlord to reject an applicant. Of course, if there isn't a court judgement against the tenant (and just a suit filed/droped or found in favor of the tenant), I'll usually use another reason (such as that prior landlord's reference) as my reason for denial just to be on the safe side.

This.

I had someone apply awhile ago that had lived in a place three years, and three times had their landlord file an eviction claim... later dropped each time. They were never evicted, may not have even ever had to show up in court, but the fact that the paperwork was filed was enough for it to be public record.

honey305 said: For example, your landlord starts the eviction process for bullsh*t reasons.

Yeah, because landlords LOVE filing eviction paperwork, it's a ton of fun.

No deadbeat tenant here. Landlord is pissed because they agreed to pay utilities, and utility bills are sky-high.

Now they're using the excuse that because the place is dirty and attracting fleas, we're Noncompliant.

honey305 said: No deadbeat tenant here. Landlord is pissed because they agreed to pay utilities, and utility bills are sky-high.

Now they're using the excuse that because the place is dirty and attracting fleas, we're Noncompliant.

Grow lights and a guard dog?

this thread has some potential, gonna grab some popcorn.

Why don't you bug bomb and clean the place?! Unless you're dirt is causing physical and irreplaceable damage to his property, I sincerely doubt he can evict you on those grounds alone. MORE DETAILS! oh, and Please.

To be fair to OP, there are a lot of really dumb landlords out there. It's not at all far-fetched to me that one offered free utilities and is only now rethinking that cunning plan. Surprise: the bills will be a lot higher than when the user paid them.

No sympathy here for deadbeat tenants, but not enough info here to support that.

honey305 said: Landlord is pissed because they agreed to pay utilities, and utility bills are sky-highSince bill is in the landlord's name, just ignore him on that issue. How does he know the inside is dirty and there are fleas? How can he prove it?

if you're evicted pursuant to a writ of possession... the eviction is going to be on your record for many years. this is the public court record and the private records of many apartment owner associations.

the only way to avoid this is to either win the case, or if you're a savvy deadbeat... you stipulate with the plaintiff that the record shall be sealed as part of any pre-trial settlement.

honey305 said: No deadbeat tenant here. Landlord is pissed because they agreed to pay utilities, and utility bills are sky-high.

For proof, please post a picture of yourself in the trailer with eviction notice in hand, or just tell us which episode(s) of Cops you are on.

Once the eviction proceedings are filed, it will show up on a docket search. A future landlord can discover these proceedings if they hire a good background check company.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014