• filter:
  • 11776177717781779 1780
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I am still waiting to invest because I think market needs to make one more (local) low before it makes any new highs.  I'm still trading both directions.

something like this: slide down into Nov / Thanksgiving (looking for SPY 175-180ish), followed my massive rally (SPY 210-220) into 2015

rated:
spacecadet610 said:   Wow good day for me. All time high for my portfolio.

Up $35k today, $47k this month, $266k this year (32%).

I am a 90% AAPL portfolio, leveraged with trading weekly AAPL options for about 4 years now.

I'd like to think I'm a skilled trader but most likely am lucky bastard.

hoping to quit stocks and transition to a boring bogleheads mutual fund allocation come Jan 1st. Need to quit while I am ahead but not sure can quit the addiction of the stock market,

Is it really a portfolio with that much in one stock?  And you don't seem addicted to market, just this one stock like some other guy around here.

rated:
It's crazy. Japan down 2% ( was up 4% yesterday ), DAX up 1.75%, SP500 up 1.5%. Seems like every day there is a 1%+ move in the indexes.

rated:
largeeyes said:   

I am a 90% AAPL portfolio, leveraged with trading weekly AAPL options for about 4 years now.

hoping to quit stocks and transition to a boring bogleheads mutual fund allocation come Jan 1st. Need to quit while I am ahead but not sure can quit the addiction of the stock market,

Is it really a portfolio with that much in one stock?  And you don't seem addicted to market, just this one stock like some other guy around here.

So what?  If Apple was so severly undervalued (which it was) why not invest heavy in it?  The guy is kicking butt and made huge profits!

My Apple profits now are at 50% for the year.  loving it.

Sold some this morning.  Only holding 350 common shares and $2k in Jan2015 $100 calls.

rated:
largeeyes said:   spacecadet610 said:   Wow good day for me. All time high for my portfolio.

rated:

Congrats dude!

I'm up $40k for the year on Apple from a $80k investment

rated:
luckytbal said:   
DavidScubadiver said:   
denbo32 said:   
DavidScubadiver said:   
luckytbal said:   still waiting for the a big  correction to start trading?
S&P up almost 100pts since bottom just 5 trading days ago

It is a fool's errand to rely on market timing. Believe me, you are not that good.  Whether you are that lucky is another story, but who wants to depend on luck?

Does those graph also so if you miss the 5 worst days as well?

No, the point of the graph is to show you how well you do, staying in the market, through the bad days -- not to show how well you do if you are lucky enough to avoid the 5 worst days.  Picking the 5 worst days and staying invested every other day is no more easy to do than picking the 5 best days. You can certainly dream about winning the lottery and picking the best and worst days to be fully invested, but as long as you recognize it is a dream and not a plan, you won't be fooling yourself into making poor choices and will be making those poor choices with open eyes.

were u not just 5 or so days ago saying u wish u had cash to buy that dip? the blood in the streets day as you called it. looked like u thought it was a good "timing" to buy. its all good, we could go on and on what works best and neither one would agree. not gonna do it . good luck

I don't see anything inconsistent with wishing I had more cash so I can invest even more when the markets are cratering. That is the time when it is most likely that one is going to see one of the 5 best days.

rated:
Has he ever shown his apple trade?

rated:

Does this portfolio represent the bulk of your net worth?  Whether you got to where you are by luck or skill, it's crazy to have a levered portfolio of basically all one stock.  When you have enough money to basically be set for life there's no reason to take that amount if risk. 

rated:
I have not trade that much this year except for last two months. Since i am up i want to spend some of my winnings.
Is anyone planning to do that?

But i want to invest in yhoo because baba is going up and that may mean that the shares yhoo own of baba may be worth about the same as yhoo itself. Earnings is today . How should i invest?

rated:
Is this why people sell options for Apple because it is such a predictable stock?

rated:
IMO, the rug will be pulled out from under BABA investors.  It's just the latest get rich quick stock.

rated:
awstick said:   

Does this portfolio represent the bulk of your net worth?  Whether you got to where you are by luck or skill, it's crazy to have a levered portfolio of basically all one stock.  When you have enough money to basically be set for life there's no reason to take that amount if risk. 

Completely agree. I need to take risk off table. My portfolio is about 70-80% of my net worth.

Anyone who thinks they are skilled at predicting stock movements is a fool, and despite my great faith in AAPL I know I've been lucky. The only sure thing is that the overall stock market will go up over time. 

I am a big boglehead and recently been reading a bunch of Bernstein's books. I have much faith in AAPL, but as Bernstein states history is a great teacher. Those who buy at high valuations have much worse returns than those who buy at low valuations.

AAPL is at a near all-time high. Although it is still likely undervalued still compared to other stocks, relative return may be limited. It's hard to budge a behemoth. I will likely continue trading weekly AAPL options until January assuming it will hover around $100 +/- $3 until then. Then I will be done with it.

rated:
I thought baba was a joke until it was on 60 minutes. Almost anyone can manufacter anything and can sell it to others in china on this sight.

rated:
YHOO
will they announce special dividend, buyback or what with all that cash. that's what will move that stock

rated:
Sold the 300 shares of AAPL that I picked up at 98.35 in september today at 102.1. AAPL has been good to me this year as well - about 15k profit in my trading acct YTD has come from AAPL.

rated:
1abcdranger said:   I thought baba was a joke until it was on 60 minutes. Almost anyone can manufacter anything and can sell it to others in china on this sight.

The problem is the company operates in a Communist country.  Who knows what kind of 'auditors' they use.  I could easily see BABA faking earnings reports

rated:
I wonder what happened to all the bitter people who put me on BLOCK because of my consistent Apple analysis? I've been banging the buy bell from $400, $450, $500, and $550.

I bet those people wished they didn't put me on block. They could have returned 50%-75% in the last 12 months.

rated:
Had planned to buy some PG yesterday morning. Stayed late at the gym and missed the boat. Frown town.

rated:
Also, my wife's grandmother's net worth is basically an ~80K house in Kansas and the rest is a (pretty substantial) amount of IBM stock. Her husband worked at IBM forever and the story goes that literally on his death bed he told her never to sell the IBM stock. So for years and years as it went up people in the family would suggest she do something to diversify this asset and she never would. She recently moved into a retirement home and, again, lots of talk about liquidating some of this in order to make sure it will last the rest of he life. She refused and has been burning through the money from selling the house. Wheee! Fooking IBM, man.

rated:
Where do we think apple goes in the next few months?

rated:
If GOOG would just move up about $1 more, my limit order would execute

rated:

You certainly don't need to quit and you certainly should reconsider buying mutual funds which which are forced to distribute capital gains to their shareholders meaning you can wind up paying taxes while holding a losing position. Stick with ETFs over mutual funds and you can avoid that trap AND have the thrill of buying and selling something on a minute to minute basis or keeping them for the long haul. In any case you ought to feel free to have a diversified portfolio and still allocate 5% of your investments to a particular stock.  I have 7% of my portfolio in AAPL, which is on the high side.

rated:
LUV up 4.7% today and reports before the market opens tomorrow.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   

You certainly don't need to quit and you certainly should reconsider buying mutual funds which which are forced to distribute capital gains to their shareholders meaning you can wind up paying taxes while holding a losing position. Stick with ETFs over mutual funds and you can avoid that trap AND have the thrill of buying and selling something on a minute to minute basis or keeping them for the long haul. In any case you ought to feel free to have a diversified portfolio and still allocate 5% of your investments to a particular stock.  I have 7% of my portfolio in AAPL, which is on the high side.

I use Vanguard for my mutual funds, which I would highly recommend. These mutual funds are as tax efficient as ETFs.

As from this page, "Tax efficiency: the mutual fund shares benefit from the disposition of capital gains through ETF shares, making Vanguard funds with ETF share classes as efficient as an ETF".

But point taken, I need to diversify.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   LUV up 4.7% today and reports before the market opens tomorrow.
  I'm seeing report on Thursday before open.

rated:
TonySpero said:   
DavidScubadiver said:   LUV up 4.7% today and reports before the market opens tomorrow.

That is weird. E*Trade says otherwise, but Southwest reports that the conference call is set for Thursday 10/23 at 12:30 eastern. Is suppose the earnings will be released before market and the conference call is set for 3 hours later...that seems weird.

rated:
Got big earnings today!! So 80% of my portfolio is 1 stock.. BGS, rest is twtr, thought about dumping my twtr and going all in on some 30calls, but hesitated. Little worried since I want some free funds to play airlines which i seemingly missed out on.

rated:
corporateclaw said:   Also, my wife's grandmother's net worth is basically an ~80K house in Kansas and the rest is a (pretty substantial) amount of IBM stock. Her husband worked at IBM forever and the story goes that literally on his death bed he told her never to sell the IBM stock. So for years and years as it went up people in the family would suggest she do something to diversify this asset and she never would. She recently moved into a retirement home and, again, lots of talk about liquidating some of this in order to make sure it will last the rest of he life. She refused and has been burning through the money from selling the house. Wheee! Fooking IBM, man.
  She didnt' reinvest the dividends? If she held for years as you mentioned, IBM has been a success story. There have been share splits as well. It really depends on what you're comparing to

rated:
DavidScubadiver said:   
TonySpero said:   

That is weird. E*Trade says otherwise, but Southwest reports  that the conference call is set for Thursday 10/23 at 12:30 eastern. Is suppose the earnings will be released before market and the conference call is set for 3 hours later...that seems weird.

Straight from LUV: http://southwest.investorroom.com/events

Q3 2014 Southwest Airlines Financial Results Release
Thursday, October 23, 2014

Q3 2014 Southwest Airlines Financial Results Conference Call
12:30pm EDT

rated:
YHOO beats. Up 3%

Revenue of $1.09 billion vs expectations of $1.05 billion. Up 1% YoY

Non-GAAP EPS of 52 cents vs estimates of 32 cents. Up 52% YoY
Non-GAAP income of $156 million. Dow 10% YoY
GAAP income of $42 million. Down 55% YoY

rated:
Oct 16:
Bend3r said:   
I also sold 1x GOOG 522.5 put for $18.70.  If it moves down below 500, I will be put the 100 shares for 503.80/shr net cost and hold them.

Closed this out today at 3:58PM for $3.00.

Net Profit incl. commissions = +$1568.63. Feels good to finally start having wins after the last month of pain. Still holding the 5x($520-$525) GOOG weeklies bull put spread.  I still don't own any GOOG shares like I wouldn't mind, but at least I have $9358.17 in profits from 6 GOOG options plays (haven't lost on a Google option yet!)

I've also swapped most of my F $14 Mar '15 options for F $12 Mar '15 and 20 for 2k shares of the stock over the last couple days. Cost ~$1.35 avg to move down $2. Hopefully no pain Thursday on earnings report. The downward revisions at the end of the last month should be priced in, and I'm counting on them meeting or beating them. I'm hoping in the next week or two volatility will go back down (and the price go up some?) and I will swap back to $14 calls if I can for a cost around $0.10. Ex-div is next wednesday and the options premiums usually seem to compress some just prior to ex-div.  I'm way over-invested in F stock. There is still short-term risk, especially with the 2015 F150 plant upgrades.

I'm almost finally back in the Black for 2014! (/JINX_)

edit: didn't realize my quote left out ticker.  Not too many stocks around $520 though.

rated:
Well I am 130% invested. During the dip I went buy crazy. Unfortunately I did it a day or 2 to early, but I am sitting pretty good today. If we continue to trend up I will start pulling some out again. Especially some of the UAN and DSX I added. I will probably hold the F and BP and V.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Oct 16:
Bend3r said:   
I also sold 1x 522.5 put for $18.70.  If it moves down below 500, I will be put the 100 shares for 503.80/shr net cost and hold them.

Closed this out today at 3:58PM for $3.00.

Net Profit incl. commissions = +$1568.63. Feels good to finally start having wins after the last month of pain. Still holding the 5x($520-$525) weeklies bull put spread.

I've also swapped most of my F $14 Mar '15 options for F $12 Mar '15 and 20 for 2k shares of the stock over the last couple days. Cost ~$1.35 avg to move down $2. Hopefully no pain Thursday on earnings report. The downward revisions at the end of the last month should be priced in, and I'm counting on them meeting or beating them. I'm hoping in the next week or two volatility will go back down (and the price go up some?) and I will swap back to $14 calls if I can for a cost around $0.10. I'm way over-invested in F stock. There is still short-term risk, especially with the 2015 F150 plant upgrades.

I'm almost finally back in the Black for 2014! (/JINX_)

what stock?

rated:
KO took it in the pants today. Still to expensive though.

rated:
YHOO to $50 ?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102107131
Yahoo had a market capitalization $40 billion at the market close Tuesday, but its latest balance sheet shows investors are not giving much value to the company's actual operating business.

Yahoo reported $50.39 billion in cash and equivalents, short- and long-term marketable securities, property and equipment and equity investments (categories which include its stakes in Alibaba and Yahoo Japan).

Based on the company's Sept. 30 share count, all of those assets were worth $50.01 per share—and Yahoo's stock closed at $40.17 Tuesday.

In other words, investors think the actual operating entity is worth -$9.84 per share—and that does not count the company's sizable $4.86 billion in goodwill. If the goodwill were deducted, the company's operations would be worth -$14.66 per share.

Cash & equivalents = $10,345,285,000
Short-term securities = $848,558,000
Long-term securities = $1,056,992,000
Property & equipment = $1,483,797,000
Investment in Alibaba Group = $34,079,787,000
Equity investments = $2,575,274,000
TOTAL = $50,389,693,000

Yahoo closing price = $40.17
Shares outstanding = 1007693000
Assets/share = $50.01

Core Yahoo (share price less assets/share) = -$9.84

Goodwill = $4,860,768,000
Goodwill per share = $4.82

Core Yahoo less assets and goodwill = -$14.66

rated:
taxes?

rated:
usernamemax20charact said:   
DavidScubadiver said:   
TonySpero said:   

That is weird. E*Trade says otherwise, but Southwest reports  that the conference call is set for Thursday 10/23 at 12:30 eastern. Is suppose the earnings will be released before market and the conference call is set for 3 hours later...that seems weird.

Straight from LUV: http://southwest.investorroom.com/events 

Q3 2014 Southwest Airlines Financial Results Release

Q3 2014 Southwest Airlines Financial Results Conference Call
12:30pm EDT

Thanks.  That's what I said and what I linked to.

rated:
^tomorrow is Wednesday

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 11776177717781779 1780
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014