• filter:
  • 11756175717581759 1760
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Could of been $90.25.

rated:
sandy05 said:   YHOO down 6% from up 2% earlier today.

When they kept raising the BABA price and YHOO price didn't budge much, that should've told me that something fishy was going on with YHOO. Still doesn't make any sense. 

rated:
It's like anything. It climbs for weeks in anticipation of the announcement/IOP/earning report etc. If it's as anticipated, the stock sits or dips slightly. If something unexpected happens you get a huge climb or crash.

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   
usernamemax20charact said:   YHOO took a dump as soon as BABA opened. Down 3%

Yeah, was hoping that SFTBY and YHOO would jump when BABA jumped. What a let down. Couldn't get the IPO at 68. SFTBY and YHOO won't climb with BABA. What a sham.

dude the IPO was priced into YHOO weeks ago.

BABA at $90+ is dead money for a while unless the funds move their money out of AMZN and into BABA.
40 PE for a Chinese company with questionable reporting?  hell no.

Went to the Apple Store at lunch.  The new iPhone's are flatout amazing.  I'm getting a iPhone6 Plus even though I bought a 5S last year.  I'm going to keep both.  Some days I'm going to need a small phone so I'll just swap the SIM card into my 5S.  Samsung and all the other Android makers will get killed this holiday.  The phones are crazy good.  You need to use the phones to understand.  They just kick the living sheet out of Samdung's phones.  I"m expecting 20-25% increase in iPhone unit sales which should lead to 25% profit growth. I can easily see AAPL at $130 next year.

rated:
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

Yeah, was hoping that SFTBY and YHOO would jump when BABA jumped. What a let down. Couldn't get the IPO at 68. SFTBY and YHOO won't climb with BABA. What a sham.

dude the IPO was priced into YHOO weeks ago

YHOO jumped more than 10% the past two weeks. So it wasn't "priced in" weeks ago. 

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

YHOO jumped more than 10% the past two weeks. So it wasn't "priced in" weeks ago. 

fair enought.  I don't follow YHOO but any body with a brain knows it was priced in before today.  That's why following the dumb herd is dangerous.  The herd all think they have a cool idea and it ends up being a dumb idea because the big money knows it too.

And why the hell is AMZN up today?  There are about to get their lunch eaten by BABA.  I expect to see AMZN sub $200 sometime in 2015.  And thats when I will LOAD UP.

My buy targets next year:
GOOGL - $475
AMZN - $199
BABA - $60

For those who could not get into the IPO for BABA don't feel bad.  Even Billion dollar hedge funds were shutout:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hedge-funds-snubbed-alibaba-ipo-16...

BABA gave the IPO to investors who would hold the stock not just flip them. 
Very smart move by BABA

rated:
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

fair enought.  I don't follow YHOO but any body with a brain knows it was priced in before today.  That's why following the dumb herd is dangerous.  The herd all think they have a cool idea and it ends up being a dumb idea because the big money knows it too.

Absolutely. No arguing with that logic. 

rated:
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

BABA at $90+ is dead money for a while unless the funds move their money out of AMZN and into BABA.

Went to the Apple Store at lunch.  The new iPhone's are flatout amazing.  I'm getting a iPhone6 Plus even though I bought a 5S last year.  I'm going to keep both.  Some days I'm going to need a small phone so I'll just swap the SIM card into my 5S.  Samsung and all the other Android makers will get killed this holiday.  The phones are crazy good.  You need to use the phones to understand.  They just kick the living sheet out of Samdung's phones.  I"m expecting 20-25% increase in iPhone unit sales which should lead to 25% profit growth. I can easily see AAPL at $130 next year.

I mean, Samsung just copied what Apple was doing -- and did it a ton better -- so I'm willing to believe that Apple can copy Samsung -- and do it a ton better -- but this post is just fanboi nonsense.

rated:
denbo32 said:   
rgthree said:   bought 100 share VHC at $5.30

No idea what this company is about but its 66% down the last 3 days and they hold some decent patents that Apple uses.
Really just a gamble here.

Do people really make trades with 530 dollars worth of stock when the trade most likely cost 14 dollars for round trip sales?

I have a WF PMA account with 100 free trades year just for those kind of trades :-p I use Fidelity for most of my other trading

rated:
JudyJFLA said:   I am in love with "PAL" North American Palladium. It is a canadian company and used to trade for $2, now .26 With the problems in Russia and Africa, where Palladium are mined, Canada is the only reliable source. It is in every gas powered car on the road and has gone from $300 an oz to over $880 an ounce. Check it out. I am in big on this one.

Yikes, I'm sorry for you.

rated:
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

I mean, Samsung just copied what Apple was doing -- and did it a ton better -- so I'm willing to believe that Apple can copy Samsung -- and do it a ton better -- but this post is just fanboi nonsense.

Not non sense.  Samdung is GREAT at copying HARDWARE.
But they pathetic at software and services.  Plus they are stuck with using Android. (not that Android is bad, its just that Google controls Android not SAmdung)  That's the difference.

The harmony of Hardware, OS,  and Services (ApplePay, ect) that Apple offers cannot be copied by Samdung no matter how hard they try.  The only company that had a prayer was Google.  But they got out of the hardware business and rather focus on making $$$ on data.

I'm telling you SAMDUNG will get wiped out in the next 12-18 months.  There profits are already down 25% last quarter and the iPhone6 did not even come out yet.  Apple will totally destroy them in the top end.  Their biggest advantage was the big screen.  But that is GONE now.  In the mid-tier Chinese companies like Xiaomi is already crushing them in China.  Xiaomi outsold Shamedung for the first time last quarter.  That is only the beginning.  Samedung already said they would cut marketing/advertising expense this year.  That will lead to less sales.  I predict in 12-18 months multiple executives in the Samdung mobile division will get fired or resign.  There 15 minutes of fame is OVER.

The pathetic thing is SamDUNG had their chance in 2013.  They had great momentum withe the Galaxy S3 and hit a chord with the Note1.  But in 2013 failed to innovate.  FAILED.  The Galaxy S4 was a disappointment.  Nothing new, just gimmicks.  The Galaxy S5 was a failure.  They will still probably be the most profitable Android manufacter (which isn't hard since the list of profitable manufacters begin and end with Samdung) and will still have a nice chunk of market share.  But I expect their profits to dip 50%+ from their peak in 2013.  And never again will anyone be foolish enough to even ponder the thought that Samdung could overtake Apple.  PERISH. THE. THOUGHT.

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

The trick is figuring out what the herd is going to do before the herd decides that is what it wants to do.  I made a very nice profit on YHOO by buying longish dated calls soon after the news that Ali Baba was going public.  It seemed pretty clear the lemmings would be sucked in by the hype. 

Certainly been times when I have been horribly wrong about this though (I though FB was going to crash for instance due to loss of user base).

rated:
JorgeBurrito said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

The trick is figuring out what the herd is going to do before the herd decides that is what it wants to do.  I made a very nice profit on YHOO by buying longish dated calls soon after the news that Ali Baba was going public.  Certainly been times when I have been horribly wrong about this though (I though FB was going to crash for instance due to loss of user base).

First, my response to rgthree was tongue-in-cheek. 

Second, I've been buying YHOO shares for months and dumped them a week or so ago for a nice profit. I even posted a few times about buying YHOO to track BABA's move the past few months on this forum. 

Thirdly, my "double-dip" into YHOO ( and SFTBY ) was in response to the 60-66 dollar range that was announced last week. I thought that range was very low and thought BABA would trade much higher than that. I figured that YHOO and SFTBY would track BABA's rise somewhat. I was right about former and wrong about the latter. Considering I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting an IPO allocation, the only options I saw are YHOO and SFTBY. Unfortunately, you can't win 'em all. If BABA jumps 35%, I think it would have been reasonable to expect YHOO/SFTBY to jump a few percentage points as well. But obviously I was wrong. 

rated:
dang those last few minutes of AAPL trading were a shining example of market manipulation and/or max pain theory.

Someone needed AAPL to close near $101.

rated:
was able to buy 10 AAPL calls for 102 strike expiring next week for $1.10.

Can't let the big boys have all the fun.

I will sell them on Monday when AAPL announces record breaking weekend iphone 6 sales.

rated:
spacecadet610 said:   dang those last few minutes of AAPL trading were a shining example of market manipulation and/or max pain theory.

Similarly, I had some covered calls on MO out there at 45 and was getting nervous that it would not drop under 45, so I ended up re-buying for 3 cents a piece with about 2 minutes to go. Then she closed at 44.99. Guess I should not have had the fear

rated:
Speaking of which, I don't know why it would have jumped so much on the "rumor" of an inbev Sabmiller merger -- because how could that possibly work -- but I'm glad it's up so much.

rated:
spacecadet610 said:   dang those last few minutes of AAPL trading were a shining example of market manipulation and/or max pain theory.

No doubt.  That's why I started selling covered calls to protect myself from this BS.

Sold Nov22 $110 Strike.  No way on earth the MM's allow this to hit $110 by Nov 22nd. 

rated:

Well its over 101 ah so all them 101 options are gonna exercise. Looks like they failed

rated:
corporateclaw said:   

Similarly, I had some covered calls on MO out there at 45 and was getting nervous that it would not drop under 45, so I ended up re-buying for 3 cents a piece with about 2 minutes to go. Then she closed at 44.99. Guess I should not have had the fear

Closing your cover calls is really the only way to guarantee that you'll hold onto your stocks. Closing at 44.99 might save you from automatic exercise risks, but it won't protect you from people who want to take your shares regardless of where it closed or protect your shares if the price jumps after hours.

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   
corporateclaw said:   

Closing your cover calls is really the only way to guarantee that you'll hold onto your stocks. Closing at 44.99 might save you from automatic exercise risks, but it won't protect you from people who want to take your shares regardless of where it closed or protect your shares if the price jumps after hours.

Yeah, you are right. I was also being a little undecided on whether I wanted them exercised in the first place, as I only had covered calls on 1/2 of my position and part of me feels like I should sell 1/2 of my position, given that the reason it spiked ~2-2.50 bucks was a merger that I just cannot see happening (and has been rumored for like years and years), and I'm going to feel like I "lost" that money when it goes back down.

But, either way, thanks for reminding me that it was not a wasted 3 cents per share!

rated:
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

But they pathetic at software and services.  Plus they are stuck with using Android. (not that Android is bad, its just that Google controls Android not SAmdung)  That's the difference.

The harmony of Hardware, OS,  and Services (ApplePay, ect) that Apple offers cannot be copied by Samdung no matter how hard they try.  The only company that had a prayer was Google.  But they got out of the hardware business and rather focus on making $$$ on data.

I'm telling you SAMDUNG will get wiped out in the next 12-18 months.  There profits are already down 25% last quarter and the iPhone6 did not even come out yet.  Apple will totally destroy them in the top end.  Their biggest advantage was the big screen.  But that is GONE now.  In the mid-tier Chinese companies like Xiaomi is already crushing them in China.  Xiaomi outsold Shamedung for the first time last quarter.  That is only the beginning.  Samedung already said they would cut marketing/advertising expense this year.  That will lead to less sales.  I predict in 12-18 months multiple executives in the Samdung mobile division will get fired or resign.  There 15 minutes of fame is OVER.

The pathetic thing is SamDUNG had their chance in 2013.  They had great momentum withe the Galaxy S3 and hit a chord with the Note1.  But in 2013 failed to innovate.  FAILED.  The Galaxy S4 was a disappointment.  Nothing new, just gimmicks.  The Galaxy S5 was a failure.  They will still probably be the most profitable Android manufacter (which isn't hard since the list of profitable manufacters begin and end with Samdung) and will still have a nice chunk of market share.  But I expect their profits to dip 50%+ from their peak in 2013.  And never again will anyone be foolish enough to even ponder the thought that Samdung could overtake Apple.  PERISH. THE. THOUGHT.

Calling it "samdung" really adds to the analysis. Also, even if everything you say is true, then Samsung will still be the maker of the 2nd best cellphones/tablets/etc. on the market. Which seems like an OK place to be, seeing as how the CURRENT second best maker of cellphones/tablets/etc. has a $606 Billion market cap as of this afternoon.

rated:
Now that BABA finished trading, a couple of interesting points are left to ponder about.

BABA's current market cap is about $230 billion.
YHOO's remaining 16% share of BABA is worth about $37 billion.
YHOO's stake in YahooJapan is about %9 billion or so.

Add those two and you get $46 billion. YHOO's current market cap is $41 billion.

YHOO gets about $6 billion after taxes from it's IPO sale + they have $1 billion cash on hand for a total of $7 billion.

YHOO's core business brings in $1 billion in PROFIT every year...

Something doesn't add up. Either BABA's price needs to drop a lot or YHOO's price has to rise a lot for these numbers to start making sense.

Either way, today a lot of people were screwed over by pure manipulation.

rated:
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

Calling it "samdung" really adds to the analysis. Also, even if everything you say is true, then Samsung will still be the maker of the 2nd best cellphones/tablets/etc. on the market. Which seems like an OK place to be, seeing as how the CURRENT second best maker of cellphones/tablets/etc. has a $606 Billion market cap as of this afternoon.

LOL.

Samdung never replaced Apple at the top.  NEVER.  Only idiot media and analysis who rely on total unit sales think so.  Yes Samdung sells a ton of POS $99 phones that make no profits.  ONly the top end phones make money. 

Last year Apple sold over 150,000,000 top end phones last year.
Last year Samdung sold less than 90,000,000. (and even that's a stretch since Samdung never reports unit sales on their audited finanicals.)

This year Apple will sell close to 180,000,000
Samdung will sell less than 80,000,000

rated:
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

LOL.

Samdung never replaced Apple at the top.  NEVER.  Only idiot media and analysis who rely on total unit sales think so.  Yes Samdung sells a ton of POS $99 phones that make no profits.  ONly the top end phones make money. 

Last year Samdung sold less than 90,000,000. (and even that's a stretch since Samdung never reports unit sales on their audited finanicals.)

So, you define "best cellphone" solely by which one sold the most units? So is Camry that best car available to buy? Of course it is not. You are silly. Just because it sold the most units doesn't mean they are the best makers of phones. I'm sure there is some car out there that sold like 1000 units in 2013 and is a way better ride than a camry. You need to figure out your argument, man.

rated:
The more I think about the BABA IPO, the more outrageous it seems. Essentially, the lucky few got a guranteed 35%+ gain while the public either got screwed buying at the open or had to fight over crumbs ( 1 or 2% ). It essentially jumped to 99 for a minute luring in the public and then crashed down to the low 90 where it essentially traded the whole day.

I mean fidelity had 300+ million shares to allocate. Why the hell can't they give even lots of shares to each customers in a round-robin fashion. How fair is this to the public? It is designed to enrich the rich few and keep out the less connected.

rated:
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
corporateclaw said:   
rgthree said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   

LOL.

So, you define "best cellphone" solely by which one sold the most units? So is Camry that best car available to buy? Of course it is not. You are silly. Just because it sold the most units doesn't mean they are the best makers of phones. I'm sure there is some car out there that sold like 1000 units in 2013 and is a way better ride than a camry. You need to figure out your argument, man.

But your argument is flawed because the iPhone and the Samdung Galaxy S whatever are THE SAME PRICE.  So if the Camry sells more units than the Accord/Taurus/Altima then yes it is the best car in its class.

The iPhone is the best phone in the $650 and up class.  
And now with the 6 Plus it will destroy the Note series also.

The iPhone is the BEST IN CLASS.  And yes that's measure by unit sales. 

Again Apple sold 150,000,000 phones that were $550+
Samsung sold only 90,000,000

So yes Apple is the undisputed leader in the top end.  And only the top end phones make money.

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   The more I think about the BABA IPO, the more outrageous it seems. Essentially, the lucky few got a guranteed 35%+ gain while the public either got screwed buying at the open or had to fight over crumbs ( 1 or 2% ). It essentially jumped to 99 for a minute luring in the public and then crashed down to the low 90 where it essentially traded the whole day.

I mean fidelity had 300+ million shares to allocate. Why the hell can't they give even lots of shares to each customers in a round-robin fashion. How fair is this to the public? It is designed to enrich the rich few and keep out the less connected.

those who got shares were commited to hold them or were early investors in the company.
I have ZERO problem with the way BABA handled the IPO.   Zero.  

If they evenly distributed the shares I bet a million clowns would just flip the shares immediately for the 30% gain and the stock would tank.
IMO this is the way all IPO's should play out to keep the traders out.

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   Now that BABA finished trading, a couple of interesting points are left to ponder about.

40% effective tax rate brings the value of the Ali Baba shares to $22 billion.

rated:
awstick said:   
fatwa113t3r said:   Now that BABA finished trading, a couple of interesting points are left to ponder about.

LOL and which company pays 40% ETR???

rated:
sandy05 said:   
awstick said:   

LOL and which company pays 40% ETR???

Believe it or not, yahoo. YHOO needs to get new tax advisors and work with YahooJapan and alibaba to lower the tax liability for the sale/transfer of these shares. I'm confident that there are ways to limit the tax liability to 0 or close to zero if they all worked together with a competent tax expert. If not, marissa mayer should be fired. 

rated:
fatwa113t3r said:   The more I think about the BABA IPO, the more outrageous it seems. Essentially, the lucky few got a guranteed 35%+ gain while the public either got screwed buying at the open or had to fight over crumbs ( 1 or 2% ). It essentially jumped to 99 for a minute luring in the public and then crashed down to the low 90 where it essentially traded the whole day.

What is their motivation to act like that? Preferred customers get access to the hot IPOs--that's how Fidelity and other brokerage firms reward their best customers. If you don't like how they operate, either move your money out of Fidelity or move more money over to Fidelity. 

rated:
Preferred customers get access to the hot IPOs--that's how Fidelity and other brokerage firms reward their best customers.

That's what I am complaining about.
If you don't like how they operate, either move your money out of Fidelity

To where? I already have accounts at 4 other brokerages. It's an industry wide evil. Not a single brokerage issue.
or move more money over to Fidelity.

I already have a lot of money at fidelity. How much would be enough to get an allocation? That's the problem, money buying more money. There's an inherent unfairness to it.

rated:
pduan87 said:   Bought BABA at 96.5, sold at 93. Lost $400

Serves me right for day trading.

This is a stock that will make you big bucks.  I got at 90.50 I will wait and watch it shoot for the 350.00 range. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 11756175717581759 1760
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014