• filter:
  • 1 2 3451765
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Yay, activision! Glad they did not disappoint as it is a fairly big holding of mine.

Ads by Google
rated:
YAY Titanium Metals! 10% up today. Thank you Motley Fool for the recommendation.

rated:
Almost all these stocks are too expensive. Sure Activision/Blizzard is a great company but their P/E is about 48. Do you really expect earnings to skyrocket?

What are some companies with low P/E and consistent profits? One I hold is Atmos, ATO, a natural gas company with a P/E of 12.71 and dividend of 4.7%.

rated:
SuperMxyz said: Almost all these stocks are too expensive. Sure Activision/Blizzard is a great company but their P/E is about 48. Do you really expect earnings to skyrocket?
Does P/E really matter? It probably should matter, but it really doesn't for big name companies.

rated:
riznick said: SuperMxyz said: Almost all these stocks are too expensive. Sure Activision/Blizzard is a great company but their P/E is about 48. Do you really expect earnings to skyrocket?
Does P/E really matter? It probably should matter, but it really doesn't for big name companies.

Like Amazon? haha I think they are pushing 80 now.

rated:
"Does P/E really matter? It probably should matter, but it really doesn't for big name companies."
Super duper amount of red to you if I could. Of course it matters, its still one of the most important metrics out there. Obviously need to take into account expected changes in future earnings for better or worse. The previous example of Amazon could be because other people project its earnings to rise in the coming quarters/years. That would be the definition of a growth stock, but just keep in mind that they can a lot of times over do it and that can cause them to plummet.

I like to think of growth stocks as mini bubbles.

rated:
deleted message

rated:
dshibb said: "Does P/E really matter? It probably should matter, but it really doesn't for big name companies."
Super duper amount of red to you if I could. Of course it matters, its still one of the most important metrics out there.

You totally miss the point. People invest in many of the popularity companies simply because of their popularity and positive news. In today's market a minuscule amount of good news, and stock skyrockets.

rated:
Insurance Expert,

I do appreciate the concern, but in that post I wasn't recommending the stock nor was I saying bad things about the stock. I was just using the previously posted stock as an example to illustrate a point. I did take out the words that could be wrongfully misinterpreted.

rated:
"You totally miss the point. People invest in many of the popularity companies simply because of their popularity and positive news. In today's market a minuscule amount of good news, and stock skyrockets."
I would argue that still a lot of news goes more ignored today than in the past(like pre 2008). I do agree that many people do invest because it is the hot stock, but for pros investing in it they wont invest in it if it is just having an unjustified run up. They want to at least justify that run up with expectations of earnings increases.

rated:
DavidScubadiver care to give advice to people who has less than $1000 on investing advice? I see you post trades of $75000 like it was nothing. Makes me jealous....

rated:
Hc000 said: DavidScubadiver care to give advice to people who has less than $1000 on investing advice? I see you post trades of $75000 like it was nothing. Makes me jealous....
Before you start investing your $1000, do you have 6 months of living expenses in liquid savings and a well-funded retirement portfolio? If not, do those first.

If so, I can give you my experience. I used the OptionsXpress promo last year and did a few trades in and out of some stocks that were under $6 each and relatively volatile (they were dry bulk shipping stocks). A few days after I bought in, they tanked about 8%. A week later, they jumped about 25%. That's when I sold. I've since repeated the process a few times.

It doesn't yield a dramatic amount of money, but on a percentage basis, it's nice. Since it's money I can live without anyway, I take very risky bets. If the stock goes down, I just hold it until it goes higher. And when it does, I click "Sell" and say "Hey, I just earned a new XBox!"

Note: Like I said, it's still risky. I have one stock that I bought at what I thought was a low, and it hasn't been back to that level in over a month.

rated:
Hc000 said: DavidScubadiver care to give advice to people who has less than $1000 on investing advice? I see you post trades of $75000 like it was nothing. Makes me jealous....

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to say $1,000 is really enough to start investing in stocks. Maybe throwing into a MF or a ETF. but Trading around $1,000 is really tough. You won't be able to diversify. You will be fully invested with your first purchase.

Also assuming low fees of $4.50 a trade at Zecco which is pretty much on of the cheaper places to trade. to Buy and sell your full $1,000 is 9 bucks which is close to 1% which eats into your margins pretty much.

I personally think to invest in stocks you need to start with about $25k and shouldn't really have more then 25% in any one position. Meaning if you do have $25k do not own $10k of anything even if it a stock you really love such as Apple or Amazon.

You need to be able to handle downswings, so don't trade on margin because if there is a big down day and you are on margin you may be forced out of positions you don't want to.

If you want to start option trading I think you can do it with a smaller bankroll, but it is much higher risk, and I wouldn't do that till you have a handle on the market. I personally dipped into options well before I was ready, made a small fortune on paper, and not fully understanding how much risk I had lost it on my 2nd option trade.

rated:
When you talk about buying something primarily on the hopes that someone else will pay more later, you are speculating, not investing. Speculation is not better or worse than investing, it's just different. I speculate all the time on physical items that I think I can resell. $1000 is much better used to buy cheap stuff on craigslist/fatwallet/garage sales and resell on eBay than it is speculating on stock options. $1000 could have bought 4 25' pools at Wal-Mart clearance (marked down to $250 from $800) and sold on craigslist for $500 a pop next summer. These types of trades are supremely less risky than getting into stocks. I've made money on literally 99% of these types of speculations. The downside is that they don't scale as well as stock trades, but since you have $1000 this doesn't matter yet.

$1000 could also start a pretty mean poker bankroll. I started keeping track at $400, and here's a chart to $4k

rated:
SuperMxyz said: When you talk about buying something primarily on the hopes that someone else will pay more later, you are speculating, not investing. Speculation is not better or worse than investing, it's just different. I speculate all the time on physical items that I think I can resell. $1000 is much better used to buy cheap stuff on craigslist/fatwallet/garage sales and resell on eBay than it is speculating on stock options. $1000 could have bought 4 25' pools at Wal-Mart clearance (marked down to $250 from $800) and sold on craigslist for $500 a pop next summer. These types of trades are supremely less risky than getting into stocks. I've made money on literally 99% of these types of speculations. The downside is that they don't scale as well as stock trades, but since you have $1000 this doesn't matter yet.

$1000 could also start a pretty mean poker bankroll. I started keeping track at $400, and here's a chart to $4k

I agree with this statement. Its different, but I do it all the time.

I'll say most of the trading I do is more speculation and not investing. I do call it investing more often then not because it easier to explain to other people, and if I say speculation it almost taboo.

rated:
Success: bought GLD at 70
Fail: Sold GLD at 90, Shorted AAPL at 150
I hate AAPl.

rated:
SuperMxyz said: When you talk about buying something primarily on the hopes that someone else will pay more later, you are speculating, not investing. Speculation is not better or worse than investing, it's just different. I speculate all the time on physical items that I think I can resell. $1000 is much better used to buy cheap stuff on craigslist/fatwallet/garage sales and resell on eBay than it is speculating on stock options. $1000 could have bought 4 25' pools at Wal-Mart clearance (marked down to $250 from $800) and sold on craigslist for $500 a pop next summer. These types of trades are supremely less risky than getting into stocks. I've made money on literally 99% of these types of speculations. The downside is that they don't scale as well as stock trades, but since you have $1000 this doesn't matter yet.

I would read Options as a Strategic Investment as a start - it is an extremely good reference. You need to move away from the purchase of calls and puts by themselves and look more into spreads and straddles, which this book describes in great detail, including what to do when it moves up or down.

I fully fund my 457 and Roth and have enough money for living expenses, but I also have an account with Interactive Brokers to daytrade on days off and/or do some quick options buying/selling during lunch (the iPhone tethering on the laptop comes in handy because I don't trade stocks on the work computer). I agree, though, that to do real daytrading you have to have the $25,000 Regulation T amount, and even for swingtrading it is helpful to have a good sized bankroll. I used to do the small time resale thing (my specialty was identifying hot sports events, purchasing the tickets when they came on sale, and reselling them on eBay or craigslist... i.e. ticket scalping) but I got out of it when the economy tanked. It was good I did too.

rated:
Hc000 said: DavidScubadiver care to give advice to people who has less than $1000 on investing advice? I see you post trades of $75000 like it was nothing. Makes me jealous....It is hard to give advice on stocks when, frankly, I do little analysis before buying. For example, I bought a bunch of Ford when GM was going into bankruptcy, figuring if people are going to buy American they might prefer a solvent company to an insolvent one. A lot of my investments are made based on 3 factors: One, I have cash sitting in a bank account; Two, I want to earn a higher return; and Three, someone somewhere made a case for why it was a good stock.

And occasionally when the market is in great turmoil I buy stuff that is pounded hard just because I have a hunch it is being oversold and will snap back. All the better if it is a stock I am already holding and nobody is telling me to sell it.

With that said, where to invest $1,000 depends in part on how important that $1,000 is to you. If I had $1,000 I would buy Titanium Metals Corp, symbol T I E, because it has a nice dividend yield and gets a good buy rating from my Fool Advisor newsletter, and it trades under $11 a share, so you can get a lot of shares. Not that that matters, the number of shares, but when first investing it feels like you are getting more for your money if you acquire more shares.

And you probably would not go wrong buying Intel or Microsoft either. Just don't invest if you are likely to need that money in the next 3-5 years.

Obviously you will not get rich, nor become poor, investing $1,000, but you have to start somewhere, if you are going to start at all. Good luck!

rated:
Glad to be an owner of Staples, Titanium Metals and Intel this morning. Heck, everything is up except e*trade and I hope that changes soon.

rated:
What the hell is going with Dell. A new OS comes out and they can't even make a gain...

rated:
Why are you assuming because Windows 7 comes out that Dell would be selling more PC now?

rated:
riznick said: What the hell is going with Dell. A new OS comes out and they can't even make a gain...Could be that lots of software will not run on Windows 7 unless you take the trouble to install workarounds. I do not know if that is an accurate statement, but it is what I read around the blogs. Or maybe because it is just another MS DOS shell...

rated:
I sold half my reits (VGSIX) yesterday on the 4% gain. There's no good reason they've doubled this year. I'll buy again on a large dip next year.

rated:
And by the close of business, E*trade up 4%. Wahoo! Almost even on that dog.

rated:
So what are people thinking with GE and the NBC annoucement Thurs? I'm sure people here are playing one side, im really hoping my GE rises to break even haha..

rated:
I need DS to buy some Dell stock.

denbo32 said: Why are you assuming because Windows 7 comes out that Dell would be selling more PC now?
MS stock soared close to 30% after win7 launch. It seems logical that the major resellers would also see positive impact.

rated:
Windows 7 replaced the blue screen of death with the black screen of death. My goodness, I suppose that demonstrates that no matter what kind of shell you put on Windows, you are still faced with a potentially unstable operating system. I cannot recall the last time my office xp machine crashed completely, but that could have more to do with the IT department maintenance than the stability of the operating system. We'll see in 6 months whether Windows 7 is worth getting excited over. I am happy to be a microsoft investor, and really want them to get it right.

rated:
GameStop (GME) was hammered this morning. Sadly, I own it. Looks like WalMart's decision to cut prices on video games is hurting the stock. I scooped up 300 more shares and hope there is a snap back. Happy to be accumulating shares but hope it does not continue to tank.

rated:
I'm not a fan of GameStop as a stock. The business plan is great, but now other players are trying to get in the market of used games. They will take market share. WalMart, toys r us, Best Buy, Amazon all in the last 6 months started to buy used games as well, I assume they sell them tho I haven't really seen them do it yet. Also with some games going to download first such as the PSP Go, the long term prospect of GameStop isn't great.

WalMart and Amazon can get such pricing power to squeeze out business from GameStop, and while it may be small at first the idea alone of other big players getting in will squeeze margins.

GameStop will still be the biggest player for used games for the next few years, but I wouldn't want to hold the stock when others see how much impact the other retailers will have on GameStop.

rated:
With all that said about GME above, today 8% hit does make it a bit tempting to buy for a trade.

rated:
If GME hits 20 in the next day or two I'm in.

Oh not, I just bought 10 of then December 24 calls. figured for 200 bucks it worth a rebound gamble.

rated:
Looks like all of my E-trade stock is going to pay off amid the takeover speculation. Whew.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: Looks like all of my E-trade stock is going to pay off amid the takeover speculation. Whew.

I think it will. Unfortunately, I missed a few buys by .01 sucks for me for being so anal. Dell will become my only loser stock this year eating up half of my MS gains when I sell off. My plans are to sell off all my stocks but possibly obtain some ETFC. .

rated:
Rambus about to assplode

rated:
Just picked up 50 shares of Goldman. Hoping the bull keeps running.

Eta: And Moodys is up 6% today. Wish I owned more!

rated:
denbo32 said: If GME hits 20 in the next day or two I'm in.

Oh not, I just bought 10 of then December 24 calls. figured for 200 bucks it worth a rebound gamble.

Sigh I should of trusted my charts and not impulsed buy those calls.

rated:
Hmmm is the AAPL bandwagon getting weak? it crossed below the 50 day moving average for the first time since march of this year. Every other time it bounced slightly before hitting the MA. If anyone was ever bearish on Apple, now would be the time to short it. I'm strongly considering it myself.

rated:
Wow, Dell is continuing to fall at a consistent rate. Glad I got out last week. I suspect that their numbers will greatly improve as all of my orders from November wont even ship until mid December. They must be overwhelmed or cutting costs.

rated:
denbo32 said: Hmmm is the AAPL bandwagon getting weak? it crossed below the 50 day moving average for the first time since march of this year. Every other time it bounced slightly before hitting the MA. If anyone was ever bearish on Apple, now would be the time to short it. I'm strongly considering it myself.Last time it went above 200 it dropped down to 78 or so... if history repeats itself shorting could make a killing. Then again, history may not repeat and maybe. a new product announcement turns this train around. That said it seems unlikely to happen before Christmas, on now is as good a time to short as ever.

rated:
Did anyone pick up AMD at $2 earlier this year or $5 a month ago?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd $8.72

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 2 3451765
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.