• filter:
  • 12 3 451667
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
AMD at 2 was like BAC under 4--a lottery ticket. For each of those that popped, there were ones like HOKU, WFR, and others that kept dropping. The solid-state drive makers also got the stuffing kicked out of them and haven't recovered. You could look there as well.

rated:
riznick said: Cheapoking said: Very happy to keep on dumping money into XOM, own it, love it!
You might also like VDE (ETF containing XOM).

Thanks. Steady gain this year.

rated:
DDRX

Decent return in 1 year.

12/8/09 - 0.30
12/8/09 - 35.15

Up 11000% in 1 year.

rated:
Cheapoking said: riznick said: Cheapoking said: Very happy to keep on dumping money into XOM, own it, love it!
You might also like VDE (ETF containing XOM).

Thanks. Steady gain this year.

I got out recently. Ill get back in late feb/early mar.

rated:
So you honestly think that growth rate will stay that high for long? If it doesn't, do you think that growth rate will be able to sustain itself?

rated:
denbo32 said: Hmmm is the AAPL bandwagon getting weak? it crossed below the 50 day moving average for the first time since march of this year. Every other time it bounced slightly before hitting the MA. If anyone was ever bearish on Apple, now would be the time to short it. I'm strongly considering it myself.

okay it bouncing even with the overall market weak or flat. Plain terms the AAPL bandwagon doesn't look done yet.

rated:
I have 300 shares of apple so I sure hope its not done yet!

rated:
I'm not sure about Apple up here. The iPhone is no iPod--there are lots of other really cool phones out there. The thing about the iPod was that it was like a fashion accessory. I wouldn't short Apple, but I'm not sure there's any good reason to be long either.

rated:
Right. Not at iPod. Wait, yes it is. It is an iPod, and a phone. And still sexier than any other phone out there with more apps than anybody else. And we're waiting for the next product as well. For the most part, people who own the phone love the phone. My wife is totally addicted to playing scrabble with her friends via a scrabble/facebook app, and she is afraid of technology. (I laugh when I watch her swiping at my blackberry screen... no dear, you have to use the trac ball...).

rated:
I'm not a huge apple supporter(I was in the past) but the Iphone is still the best cell phone out there. I currently have a Samsung Moment, but it still isn't as good as a Iphone that was created 2 years ago. I personally love Android phones, and see the potential, but currently Iphone is the king of phones.

rated:
denbo32 said: I'm not a huge apple supporter(I was in the past) but the Iphone is still the best cell phone out there. I currently have a Samsung Moment, but it still isn't as good as a Iphone that was created 2 years ago. I personally love Android phones, and see the potential, but currently Iphone is the king of phones.
It is not the best cell phone out there. There are better devices that act as a mobile phone. In fact, it still has some flaws. For example, you can't transfer to many bluetooth devices until you are already in a call.

It is, however, the most fun cell phone out there.

rated:
My point is that it hasn't become a fashion accessory like the iPods. Are Macs the best personal computer that one can buy? Without a doubt. Why are they still only 5% of the market? A whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the product. Why did the iPod do so well? A whole host of reasons that had nothing to do with the quality of the product.

Apple has some outstanding products. Any good investor bought when it was under 100 on those Steve Jobs rumors. At this point, you've caught a double. Do you see the type of growth that is being priced into this stock? They're anticipating at least 2 products that were like the iPod. I'm not saying that Apple stock is going to crash or even come down significantly, but does it really have much room to run at this point? There just seem to be a lot better plays out there.

rated:
Name the better plays! I like the potential of the tablet and the potential of having such a small share of the pc market. Everything they sell pushes the consumer a little closer to wanting to experience the Mac...

rated:
Personally, I don't invest in technology companies unless there's a blue chip (IBM, MSFT, APPL, etc.) that has gotten beaten down hard for no apparent reason. Since some of you all like lottery tickets, what about a company like STEC. They've gotten the crap kicked out of them due to excess inventories at the places they supply the SSDs to (e.g. EMC). If you believe that the economy is going to pick up and that the sales of products containing SSDs is going to pick up, that may be a decent play. I have no interest in the company--no stock, no options, no nothing. I pretty much stick to oil and banks. However, if you're looking for a technology play that isn't pricing in ridiculous forward earnings, that may be one.

rated:
I don't consider a company that has no name recognition to be in the same class of investment as Apple. Sure it may outperform but then again maybe the threatened securities class action has merit and it will tank. I'll stick with my Apple and my Microsoft and even my Google. I know what they do and I like what they do.

rated:
I agree with David on that, you can't compare a company with a market cap of 180B to a company of 600M.

The risk reward levels are totally different on the two.

rated:
As I said, I don't invest in technology companies. Either you pay out the ass for potential future earnings (like APPL) or you have to pick up something that may or may not turn around. My point is: why bother? If you're buying APPL, MSFT, IBM, etc. and not doing it to take advantage of some sort of dislocation that you can identify, you might as well just go buy QQQQ or some other tech ETF. When outrageous earnings are being priced into the stock, that's the clue to get out. (Again, I'm not long or short tech here. I'm short some calls in the oil patch, but I have no skin in the tech stock game.)

rated:
Just on a side note I wouldn't touch that STEC I like spec plays as much as anyone else, and I gamble alot on stock picks, but I wouldn't touch that off the chart, it appears it had it move and retreated back to it pre run levels.

rated:
I pay out of the ass for the future earnings.

rated:
Sigh. Reread the post. I didn't compare Apple and STEC. I put IBM, MSFT, and APPL all in the same boat. I said there was no point in investing in a company like that when ridiculous earnings are priced in. Can they keep meeting them? Sure. Eventually they will stop meeting them and the value of the stock will plummet. When you pay 200/shr for APPL, you're not paying for the earnings now, you're paying for projected future earnings. Do you really think that they will come out with 2 products that are as good as the iPod (sales wise) over the next 2 years? That's what you're paying for at 200/shr.

rated:
I wouldn't buy STEC either. I don't touch tech for the reasons I have mentioned. However, if you told me that I had to invest in a tech company, I'd put my money in a sub 1B market cap tech company before I put it in AAPL at these levels.

rated:
Just picked up 2,500 shares of Citibank. Here's hoping that their desire to repay the TARP funds is indicative of their not going into bankruptcy.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: Just picked up 2,500 shares of Citibank. Here's hoping that their desire to repay the TARP funds is indicative of their not going into bankruptcy.

I personally would of waited to see if they are going to dilute the shares first, and if they do to find out at what price. If they pay back the Tarp and need to raise capital, it may not be pretty.

rated:
Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.

rated:
Okay, I'll bite... lots of good banks out there. This one has diluted itself out the butt. Why bother here? If you were jumping on the momentum train that'd be one thing, but why today?

rated:
tripleB said: Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.
Boeing?

rated:
denbo32 said: I personally would of waited to see if they are going to dilute the shares first, and if they do to find out at what price. If they pay back the Tarp and need to raise capital, it may not be pretty.

The dilution news is already priced into the stock price. If the buy was below 4, I think its a good one.

rated:
nikhil5974 said: denbo32 said: I personally would of waited to see if they are going to dilute the shares first, and if they do to find out at what price. If they pay back the Tarp and need to raise capital, it may not be pretty.

The dilution news is already priced into the stock price. If the buy was below 4, I think its a good one.

No the fear of dilution is priced in. Unless you know exactly how many shares they are going to be selling, and at what price it not fully accounted for. It may not go lower, but I tend to wait for the news like that to come out before taking my position on a stock. Its a large looming question mark. Its something that if you guess right can make a killing and guess wrong will hurt. I guess I don't like that huge possible move in either direction.

I just don't see the upside of buying in this early, if it starts it move up after they announce the offering, you have plenty of time to jump on board, and if it goes down, then you get an idea of where other people are figuring the fair value of the shares are at.

rated:
tripleB said: Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.

trick question right? the answer is always AAPL!

rated:

SNSS

rated:
jkimcpa said: tripleB said: Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.

SNSS

wow

rated:
nikhil5974 said: denbo32 said: I personally would of waited to see if they are going to dilute the shares first, and if they do to find out at what price. If they pay back the Tarp and need to raise capital, it may not be pretty.

Well, today's trading range is 3.87 - 3.94, so I got in under 4.

rated:
SuperMxyz said: Did anyone pick up AMD at $2 earlier this year or $5 a month ago?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=amd $8.72
AMD is a company that really has no reason to exist except for anti-trust against Intel. It has to spend tons on R&D to compete against the world's lowest cost chip producer and produce essentially the same products. Here's a table of some cash-rich chip companies. Of these, I like Microchip (MCHP) best because it has $1B in cash, or 1/10 as much as Intel but with 1/37 the sales. Also most of Microchip's profits come from selling propriety chips that go into ho-hum products, like toys and toasters, and those chips are manufactured using an ancient process but in a modern factory (translation: cheap). Unfortunately the stock may not be very cheap, at a P/E of 30, and that may not be just due to earnings compression from the depression.

rated:
denbo32 said: nikhil5974 said: denbo32 said: I personally would of waited to see if they are going to dilute the shares first, and if they do to find out at what price. If they pay back the Tarp and need to raise capital, it may not be pretty.

No the fear of dilution is priced in. Unless you know exactly how many shares they are going to be selling, and at what price it not fully accounted for. It may not go lower, but I tend to wait for the news like that to come out before taking my position on a stock. Its a large looming question mark. Its something that if you guess right can make a killing and guess wrong will hurt. I guess I don't like that huge possible move in either direction.

I just don't see the upside of buying in this early, if it starts it move up after they announce the offering, you have plenty of time to jump on board, and if it goes down, then you get an idea of where other people are figuring the fair value of the shares are at.

Even after today drop, I would still wait for the day the offering comes out before I would buy into C if I was to buy C. And I think I might when that day is announced.

rated:
riznick said: jkimcpa said: tripleB said: Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.

SNSS

wow

Wow SNSS 12% gain.... good call. LMAO

rated:
denbo32 said: riznick said: jkimcpa said: tripleB said: Whats a good stock to buy today? Preferrably to make about 10 to 20% today only since I need the money for monday to pay the electric bill.

SNSS

wow

Wow SNSS 12% gain.... good call. LMAO

More like a 50% gain and a 350% gain in the last 4 business days.

14.5% since opening today would certainly qualify for the 10-20% BBB wanted.

rated:
Well, I am continuing to pick up more and more Citibank. I am with Kramer on this one, it should recover and pay off handsomely when it does.

rated:
Wait till AFTER the offering, not before. Its pretty much dropped 10% from when they said they were going to do a offering to pay back TARP.

The upside of getting pre diluted shares just don't seem to worth the risk. Waiting a day and missing that upside should really be worth it IMO.

rated:
Now that individual snack discussion is allowed, I would like to say that doritos is my favorite.

rated:
Too late to wait, Denbo. I can always buy more after the offering.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 12 3 451667
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014