• filter:
  • 1 23451812
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Now that it has been deemed permissible to discuss individual stocks, and so as to avoid "hijacking" the boring thread about the overall stock market volatility, here is where we can discuss our individual investments, our triumphs and our failures.

I will generally post my trades as I make them and occassionally give a snapshot of my main portfolio's performance by listing all my holdings and how they are doing.

Otherwise, suffice it to say, for now, that my fortunes rise and fall with Apple, E*Trade and a host of other stocks, and while I care very much about how the market does overall, it is not as interesting to me as what people actually hold in their portfolios.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If your expecting AAPL to be 125-130 range in mid Feb, july options may not be the best way to play it.

You will be mis... (more)

denbo32 (Dec. 17, 2014 @ 2:28p) |

It is really nice to see RIG moving up again. In for the long haul with the great dividend.

2hotforu (Dec. 17, 2014 @ 5:01p) |

I heard the asian economies will do well because they have no oil and will do well with low oil prices. The u.s. has a l... (more)

lgvokt (Dec. 17, 2014 @ 7:04p) |

To discuss brokerage accounts use this thread: Online Brokers

To the beginner investors/traders, please first learn asset allocation, diversification and low cost ETF investments. A great website is http://www.bogleheads.org/

Investopedia: How Options work

=========
Now tracking the SUX index on Yahoo

UN: suxindex
PW: fatwallet

Link after logged in:
http://finance.yahoo.com/p?k=pf_1

Equities on the SUX: RIMM CSCO MSFT NOK HPQ ALLRF.PK LINE

Feel free to add as you see fit.

^ thanks to DelCheapo
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
do you really think your ready for your own thread David?

rated:
Not at all, and it is not about me in the least. I just don't like hearing about people whining that the general volatility thread should not be about individual stocks!

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: Not at all, and it is not about me in the least. I just don't like hearing about people whining that the general volatility thread should not be about individual stocks!

ok ... so I'll start us off with penny stock ... Vitesse Semiconductor ... vtss.pk
trading at about .23 .... just reach a major resolution/dilution with bond holders
seems to have avoided BK for now

... is it a buy?

rated:
I have never traded in the pink sheets. Closest I have come to them is GM and Lehman and now E*trade. I do not believe there is enough disclosure or liquidity in most stocks I've never head of.

ETA: What is up with all of the volatility today!

rated:
I have stock in an Australian company, Clinuvel, with a drug that provides protection from UV rays by inducing production of melanin, ie, an all over tan. Maybe a little risky, but certainly fun to read about. (ASX: CUV, ADR/Pinksheets: CLVLY) It's been good to me thus far, but the big jump will be if it's approved, which is a big if.

rated:
Get your own blog, scuba man!

rated:
I bought Lehman when it was pink-sheeted, at .04/share, then sold for .22/share. I still own uxg, bought at .60/share, it's now high $2-low $3/share. I love penny stock, just don't find much I am interested in. I also own stock in INFN, HA, PRPX. And my stocks are worth more than what I initially invested, not by much, but still, nowadays....

rated:
nm

rated:
Try titanium metal (TIE) for a nice titanium play. It has been recommended by the Motley Fool newsletter. I own a lot, so far performance has been mixed due to different buy in prices.

rated:
E*Trade continues to drift downward ahead of the earnings news after today's close. I continue to be as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. This was a stupid gamble I made but I will see it through tomorrow and take my lumps if necessary.

Today I sold the last 340 shares of Apple that I owned. It was a great ride and somehow I think I will buy again when the spirit moves me. It was a rash decision and now I have to find a home for all that cash.

rated:
Fail: Investing house down-payment money and being down 50% in March

Triumph/Fail: Making deal with devil to not play this game with money I need if...........

Triumph: Wife did not file for divorce, up over 100% from March to make it all back, selling 85% of all taxable accounts and moving money to online savings. Savior stocks were TC, JPM, USB, WFC, KGC, GG (hate all of them now.....thx lucifer!)

rated:
my goodness-investing the downpayment was reckless. Glad things worked out though!!

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: E*Trade continues to drift downward ahead of the earnings news after today's close. I continue to be as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. This was a stupid gamble I made but I will see it through tomorrow and take my lumps if necessary.

Today I sold the last 340 shares of Apple that I owned. It was a great ride and somehow I think I will buy again when the spirit moves me. It was a rash decision and now I have to find a home for all that cash.

Cash is good now.

rated:
Once the etrade fall stabilizes, I think it will be a good short term investment stock again. It is very volatile and has strong possibilities for upswings.

rated:
I do not know what you mean by fall stabilizes, but I assume we will know more after the bell in terms of whether it is going to surprise with earnings and hopefully start an upward climb instead of going down the toilet.

rated:
ETFC is now trading right below the 50 DMA. But it has a far gap away from the 200 DMA which would worry me if it misses on earnings.

rated:
ETFC didn't seem to drop that much AH after it reported what looked like a miss to me.

rated:
crap. It is trading down another 4%. Got creamed on this dog over the past several weeks.

rated:
I've been watching etrade stock for over a year. I think it is a smart buy under $1.5.

Positive news will give it a 25% boost with today's market. Then it slowly will drop. Two bits of positive news a week apart can drive it up 50%. It is that volatile.
Negative news doesn't affect it as much. It might drop 10% on negative news.
No news will make it slowly fall until it settles around $1.3-$1.4.

I thought the news was slightly positive since "it could have been worse". It might not even drop below 1.45 .

There is also a good chance they get bought out. There are a few companies extremely eager to jump on it if the government insures its debt.

rated:
worm690 said: Fail: Investing house down-payment money and being down 50% in March

Triumph/Fail: Making deal with devil to not play this game with money I need if...........

Triumph: Wife did not file for divorce, up over 100% from March to make it all back, selling 85% of all taxable accounts and moving money to online savings. Savior stocks were TC, JPM, USB, WFC, KGC, GG (hate all of them now.....thx lucifer!)

Triumph: Went from $40k Nov 08 to $80k Feb 09 to $190k April 09 playing the long naked call options and leveraged inverse ETFs trading game, initially daytrading part time while working full time.

Bonus: Also met a good girl and had the beginnings of a good relationship start up during that period.

Fail: Laid off in Feb 09 and took up daytrading full time thinking beginners luck will continue with visions of retiring at 25 dancing through my head. Got wiped out persistently trying to chase the short side (Got off the Bull bandwagon way too early in April after a decent run of switching long/short previously) from April 09 to Sep 09 after gradually increasing my brokerage to total net worth allocation from 33% to 100% and escalating my leverage from single inverse EFTs to double to triple inverse ETFs and finally going all in with put options trying to recoup my losses... safe to say all my bets failed miserably... my 190k is down to a 10k.

bonus to the downside: During the downfall of my brokerage account I broke my left arm and tore my right sholder in a snowboard accident a week before my tonsilectomy... thanks to my financial + physical injuries + painkillers I became what I would describe as a depressed insomnaic alcoholic and got dumped to boot for becoming a "perpetual downer."

Lesson: Easy come easy go, though the view from the lowpoint do feel quite dismal after having been so high up. After taking my lumps and recovering from my previous sad state last month by channeling my stress into job hunting, working out, and long hikes I resolve on cutting way back on my risk tolerance profile and avoiding leveraged ETFs and call options henceforth on any future investments (once I am gainfully employed and have cashflow again) along with job hunting in earnest now. Most expensive learning experience for me ever.

Thank god for being young and single with low monthly expenses and Obama's yearlong unemployment/subsidized cobra so I don't have to go crawling back to my parents to beg to move in with them... yet.

rated:
dchen2,

Yes like everyone else including me - you live and learn. I started out with 30K in March 2008 after bears stern it quickly became 60K. Then I got greedy and added 210K of my own money which turned into 100K on march 9th yikes..fast forward Sept 23rd my balance was 727K. I almost sold everything and wanted to buy a house but decide what the heck and stayed in the market. I am now at 570K and crying why i did not sell a month ago

I am still greedy! Buying is Easy! Selling is HARD

rated:
Still worried about inflation. Looking into TIPS and short term bonds instead of int bonds and GNMAs.

rated:
Sold Dolby yesterday in my IRA and bought it back today for a buck or so less. Did not have a good reason to sell it, except I had large short term gains and did no want to see the disappear. Since earnings are coming out and it has been a solid performer, I am hopeful!

I feel totally naked having sold my last apple shares though. May have to put some in my IRA...

rated:
nm

rated:
And can anybody critique my strategy of going long commodities, oil, transport, etc. and going short commercial real estate(retail)? Its about a longer term play (the commercial real estate play will only be until the 1st quarter of 2010 at the latest).

rated:
I would give it a couple more days to slightly stabilize. It dropped as low as 1.41 today.

rated:
Very happy to keep on dumping money into XOM, own it, love it!

rated:
Cheapoking said: Very happy to keep on dumping money into XOM, own it, love it!
You might also like VDE (ETF containing XOM).

rated:
I have lost a ton of money on e*trade. Ah well. Not at all happy about it but I am going to hang in there. I don't see bankruptcy as a threat so hopefully they will come back one day.

rated:
Or possibly they get bought out locking the price to a lower price than you paid.

rated:
possibly but it went up 6% today so its been better to hold on these past 24 hours...

rated:
wound up back in apple this morning. I just don't want to miss out when they announce the next best thing.

rated:
e*trade now looks extremely tempting...

rated:
Yes, it sure does. Tempting me to lose a great deal more money as it continues its death spiral down the toilet.

rated:
Shorting this market actually looks really tempting. I'm currently long, and it keeps testing that resistance line and bounces off. I personally don't like how many times we have a strong rally then just drop out of no where to the resistance. It looks like it going to crash below it really soon.

rated:
I sold 375 shares of apple @198 an 10/27 and bought 300 shares of apple at 189 on 11/2. Now trading at 193. I'm a genius, with a tax bill.

rated:
DavidScubadiver said: I sold 375 shares of apple @198 an 10/27 and bought 300 shares of apple at 189 on 11/2. Now trading at 193. I'm a genius, with a tax bill.

My taxes are a mess, heck half my stock trades this year have been 1 or 2 days only.

rated:
Hope you have gainskeeper! I dont trust it, but I can't be bothered to really check it either.

Skipping 72432 Messages...
rated:
I heard the asian economies will do well because they have no oil and will do well with low oil prices. The u.s. has a lot of workers and junk bonds that will be affected by lower oil prices, and will have some losers with lower oil prices especially when they want to get loans for fracking.

I do want to invest in some drillers. Should we wait for what opec does in a couple months or just jump in when we dont know where the bottom is?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1 23451812
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014