• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
How am I supposed to know if I am being charged correctly if the cashier swipes my card but doesn't give me a receipt? If they make a mistake (which has happened in my favor before), will the credit card company take your word that you were overcharged if you don't have any proof?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Quoted for extreme irony.

Xnarg (Nov. 19, 2009 @ 7:06p) |

What do YOU think it means, in the context in which it was used?

I used it in the sense that it's likely that some event(... (more)

Xnarg (Nov. 19, 2009 @ 7:08p) |

Well I think the person behind this user-name does have "smart" questions. But he/she
only uses this user-name to ask "st... (more)

ldthinh (Nov. 19, 2009 @ 10:10p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What does not getting a receipt have to do with signing?

Your title is about signing the receipt, but then you say you are not given a receipt. Which is it? What is the merchant's reason for not giving you a receipt?

In a lot of fast food and coffee places the cashier just doesn't bother. They swipe the card and they get distracted and don't give a receipt. Sometimes they ask if I want one and a lot of times I say no without looking at the total on their cash register. For all I know they could charge me $180 for a cup of coffee. Once I spent $13 at starbucks, but my card was only charged $3. I never went back to set the record straight because I didn't have a receipt. Am I going to hell?

Are you BBB's kid brother?

Last week I was at Costco and my bill was $95 and they said I didn't have to sign because the total was under $100 and now most grocery stores don't make you sign if it's under $25. That's what I was thinking about when I wrote the title, but then I remembered all of the times I never get any kind of receipt from other places.

IAskStupidQuestions said: In a lot of fast food and coffee places the cashier just doesn't bother. They swipe the card and they get distracted and don't give a receipt. Sometimes they ask if I want one and a lot of times I say no without looking at the total on their cash register. For all I know they could charge me $180 for a cup of coffee. Once I spent $13 at starbucks, but my card was only charged $3. I never went back to set the record straight because I didn't have a receipt. Am I going to hell?
Once again, not having to sign != not getting a receipt.
If you are concerned, simply insist on a receipt every time, whether you have to sign or not.

IAskStupidQuestions said: Last week I was at Costco and my bill was $95 and they said I didn't have to sign because the total was under $100 and now most grocery stores don't make you sign if it's under $25. That's what I was thinking about when I wrote the title, but then I remembered all of the times I never get any kind of receipt from other places.
Something doesnt add up. Costco always gives you a receipt. You need one to show when you exit the store with your purchases.

I don't care why but I like it. Saves me a few seconds of my life. If there are problems AMEX will deal with them.

If it's under $20 or maybe it's $25, a lot of the chain stores around here don't have you sign. I am not really concerned about it as I am using a real credit card and not a debit card, and it let's me get out of there quickly.

Really, what's the point of them making you sign? To see whether you can accurately match the signature on the back of your card? I usually can't do that when I'm at a fast food drive-through with no firm writing surface anyway.

However, I have never not received a receipt when I've paid with a credit card.

I could care less about signing but I always ask for a receipt.

I have also noticed this recent trend. More and more places no longer require a signature if the amount is less than a certain amount ($100 at Costco and $25 at my supermarket). Since my signature is no longer required, some places are also not providing receipts (such as the restaurant I go to for lunch).

I would be OK with this if it wasn't for the fact that my credit card company is now not allowing me to dispute charges which are less than $25.

I didn't know you couldn't dispute charges that are less than $25. That's why the card companies don't care. Why do some places not make you sign and others ask for your ID even for small purchases? I had a waitress ask me for my id for a $12 meal at a restaurant. I thought that was rude so I didn't leave her a tip.

Again I don't know of any place that doesn't give receipts. Most everyone does, and lots of businesses have policies that give you something for free if they fail to give you a receipt.

I have huge boxes full of receipts that prove this. Perhaps you are just careless with your receipts.

As for signatures, under $25.00 has not been an issue for a while. I assume different retailers have different agreements. It is all done in the name of convenience and in the name of speeding up the checkout process for retailers. Clearly it was not a very effective means of fraud prevention anyways...

The banks and visa mastercard make money on every transaction. They want to make it as easy as possible and as fast as possible. I can't even remember the last time I spent any cash for anything. Can not remember at all. Been a very long time.

BradMajors said:

I would be OK with this if it wasn't for the fact that my credit card company is now not allowing me to dispute charges which are less than $25.


I hadn't heard of this one. I don't chargeback very often, maybe once or twice. I think both of those were under 25 too.

It's refreshing to see someone with such an honest username.

IAskStupidQuestions said: ...Why do some places not make you sign and others ask for your ID even for small purchases?That's probably related to their loss experience. There's no law that says that all retail establishments have to have the exact same policy on this (at least not yet there isn't).IAskStupidQuestions said: I had a waitress ask me for my id for a $12 meal at a restaurant. I thought that was rude so I didn't leave her a tip.It's far more rude to penalize waitstaff for what is obviously the restaurant's policy. Do you really think your server came up with that all on her own? If you have a problem with the restaurant's policy, take it up with the manager.

It's likely the restaurant had some negative experiences which predicated the policy.

They may have been victimized by a LOT of stolen or otherwise fraudulent cards. Maybe some crook came in and ran up multiple $20 charges in a row, so the restaurant decided to just check for IDs on all CC purchases, not just those over $25.

My local Shell station makes me input my zip code every time I buy gas there. They even did that when I bought $4 of gas for my lawn mower. Should I get upset about that too?

lmao how is asking for your ID rude?

Are you just bored or trying to troll? If you don't get a receipt, just ask for one... Hell, you might even get something out of it, like those fast food places who offer your meal for free if you don't get a receipt

IAskStupidQuestions said: I didn't know you couldn't dispute charges that are less than $25.

Bro, mom is going to be PISSED if she finds out you are up this late. You have school tomorrow!

Xnarg said:
My local Shell station makes me input my zip code every time I buy gas there. They even did that when I bought $4 of gas for my lawn mower. Should I get upset about that too?


Yes. I would be upset. When the post office decided to change my zip code, one of my credit cards didn't get the memo. I tried a few times to get gas at the pump with the new zip code, but my card was declined. The gas pump wouldn't let me try again with the right or should I say wrong old zip code. This went on for a few years before I figured out that I needed to use the old zip code.

FYI: At CVS no signature is captured if the charge is under $25 ($50 if a RX is on the bill) since the labor cost to pull and answer the signature request would exceed $25.00

I do believe that there is a way to block a card number if excessive charge-back requests are made.

Additionally, the new signature capture terminals CVS is implementing make it nearly impossible to electronically capture one's "true" signature.

A receipt is ALWAYS required to be offered to the customer, no matter the amount.

IAskStupidQuestions said: I had a waitress ask me for my id for a $12 meal at a restaurant. I thought that was rude so I didn't leave her a tip.

Oh thats awesome, make the waitress pay(by not leaving a tip) for having to do her job, when she probably has a tougher job than you and I. Fantastic.

WHY is this tripe taking up space on some hard drive, on some server, somehwere in the world? WHY?

fw9999 said: WHY is this tripe taking up space on some hard drive, on some server, somehwere in the world? WHY?Don't feed the troll. Just add him to your ignore list and move on. I have

MadAnthony said: It's refreshing to see someone with such an honest username.How about an honest forum name...

Fatwallet Trolling Forum

IAskStupidQuestions said: In a lot of fast food and coffee places the cashier just doesn't bother. They swipe the card and they get distracted and don't give a receipt. Sometimes they ask if I want one and a lot of times I say no without looking at the total on their cash register. For all I know they could charge me $180 for a cup of coffee. Once I spent $13 at starbucks, but my card was only charged $3. I never went back to set the record straight because I didn't have a receipt. Am I going to hell?

Most of those places have a policy that you get your purchase for free if you are not asked if you want a reciept.

I don't think I've ever gotten a receipt from Mcdonalds when I order my egg mcuffin from the drive thru, but I usually pay cash with exact change.

tripleB said: IAskStupidQuestions said: I didn't know you couldn't dispute charges that are less than $25.

DAD, mom is going to be PISSED if she finds out you are up this late. You have to pick up the WELFARE check tomorrow!


FIXED!!!!

"I'd like a receipt please".

5 words...the answer to your life problems.

I've noticed that a lot of places that stopped requiring signatures have recently started requiring them again.

The signature is only useful if customers do chargebacks and they need proof to defend the charge. Perhaps people took advantage of the "no signature". Quite possibly, not asking for a signature is begging for a chargeback from someone who isn't honest.

We seriously need a Trolling subforum.

IAskStupidQuestions said: In a lot of fast food and coffee places the cashier just doesn't bother. They swipe the card and they get distracted and don't give a receipt. Sometimes they ask if I want one and a lot of times I say no without looking at the total on their cash register. For all I know they could charge me $180 for a cup of coffee. Once I spent $13 at starbucks, but my card was only charged $3. I never went back to set the record straight because I didn't have a receipt. Am I going to hell?

So all you have to do is ask for the receipt.

Or at a place like McD, the receipt is placed on the counter while your order is being filled. Just grab it and if they give you the look, tell them you want to keep track of your expenses.

BradMajors said: I have also noticed this recent trend. More and more places no longer require a signature if the amount is less than a certain amount ($100 at Costco and $25 at my supermarket). Since my signature is no longer required, some places are also not providing receipts (such as the restaurant I go to for lunch).

I would be OK with this if it wasn't for the fact that my credit card company is now not allowing me to dispute charges which are less than $25.


Wow, how do they justify not complying with the FCBA? They are required to process the dispute by law. Perhaps you were refused when you made a verbal request. You can still file a formal, written dispute. Well, unless they've changed the law and I wasn't notified.

IAskStupidQuestions said: Once I spent $13 at starbucks, but my card was only charged $3. I never went back to set the record straight because I didn't have a receipt. Am I going to hell?Why do the mods allow this crap to stay here? No wonder FWF is going downhill...

Why are people filled with so much anger and animosity over a simple question? Is it because the holiday season is approaching or because they have been short the market?

IAskStupidQuestions said: Xnarg said:
My local Shell station makes me input my zip code every time I buy gas there. They even did that when I bought $4 of gas for my lawn mower. Should I get upset about that too?
Yes. I would be upset. When the post office decided to change my zip code, one of my credit cards didn't get the memo. I tried a few times to get gas at the pump with the new zip code, but my card was declined. The gas pump wouldn't let me try again with the right or should I say wrong old zip code. This went on for a few years before I figured out that I needed to use the old zip code.
This went on for a few years? Hmmm....the zip code thing just started this year at our local Shell.

Almost all of the gas stations around here, including Shell have required a zip code since I was old enough to drive and pay by credit card.

IAskStupidQuestions said: When the post office decided to change my zip code, one of my credit cards didn't get the memo. I tried a few times to get gas at the pump with the new zip code, but my card was declined. The gas pump wouldn't let me try again with the right or should I say wrong old zip code. This went on for a few years before I figured out that I needed to use the old zip code.Yeah the CC company used the wrong zip code for years, and that didn't cause any issue with statements, notices, new cards, etc.

Skipping 17 Messages...
MadAnthony said: It's refreshing to see someone with such an honest username.
Well I think the person behind this user-name does have "smart" questions. But he/she
only uses this user-name to ask "stupid" questions. "Smarter" questions are asked by using "famous"
user-names such as TripleB or TripleK or .....



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014