AMEX gift cards 3% fatcash

Archived From: Finance
  • 14 5 67827
  • Page
  • Text Only
Placed a few orders through the fatwallet link tonight and received 11 vague cancellation emails from AMEX. Authorizations all hit my credit card just fine, but then AMEX started zeroing them out. Don't want to call AMEX to try and get things straightened out because I figure it will screw up the CashBack.

The personal AMEX GC site has a maximum of $5K per 14 days, not just the $5K per order that they advertise. They also mentioned some other limits on the number of cards you could order, including 10 personalized (named) cards and/or 50 anonymous cards in the same period. It wasn't exactly clear, but it sounded like the personalized vs anonymous cards both counted against the same $5K limit.

On the topic of limits, almost all the referral sites (except rEbates) point you to the lower limit personal GC site, rather than the much higher limit business GC site. If the personal limits become troublesome, it might be worth reporting if you can browse over to the business site and still collect your FatCash for the purchase. Please share any results along these lines.

I was able to register one of my GCs today into Paypal account (after calling AMEX and associating card with my address)

xerty said: The personal AMEX GC site has a maximum of $5K per 14 days, not just the $5K per order that they advertise. They also mentioned some other limits on the number of cards you could order, including 10 personalized (named) cards and/or 50 anonymous cards in the same period. It wasn't exactly clear, but it sounded like the personalized vs anonymous cards both counted against the same $5K limit.

Well I guess that explains why 4 more of my orders were canceled today (only one shipped).

What are you guys doing that could exceed the limits?

buying more than $5k in GCs... some people want to buy tens of thousands of GCs to get the most CashBack possible

Still didn't get 5% for my wife's purchase on Monday, is anyone else still waiting? That seems too long, WTH?

chuzzlewit said: Still didn't get 5% for my wife's purchase on Monday, is anyone else still waiting? That seems too long, WTH?
Still waiting myself, same situation .

i'm still waiting too, i made two purchases sunday night (11/29), they both shipped on monday, i got them on tuesday, but so far i only have $50 from a 1k card i bought. still waiting on $150 for the 3k card

neophyte said: I was able to register one of my GCs today into Paypal account (after calling AMEX and associating card with my address)
That makes me giddy

Can't wait for my card to show up. This is the new (and improved) dollar coin thread.

I made some payments online and I can see the transactions as pending now. Thanks OP for a great deal

pras

ColbyS said: neophyte said: I was able to register one of my GCs today into Paypal account (after calling AMEX and associating card with my address)
That makes me giddy

Can't wait for my card to show up. This is the new (and improved) dollar coin thread.

Just wait until it gets combined with bing eBay CB and churning forever stamps. I'll be doing that shortly...

xerty said: chuzzlewit said: Still didn't get 5% for my wife's purchase on Monday, is anyone else still waiting? That seems too long, WTH?
Still waiting myself, same situation .

Showed up on the 5% site today, from ordering on Monday morning .

ColbyS said: neophyte said: I was able to register one of my GCs today into Paypal account (after calling AMEX and associating card with my address)
That makes me giddy

Not really, since its not churn-able.

I am in a very interesting situation. Just received an email from the rEbates site that I have additional $450 Cash Back pending in my account for purchasing American Express Gift Cards $9000.00. The only thing I really bought was 2000 gift card a day earlier and I have 100 rebate pending for it there too. Very strange! I even checked my used Credit Card if it is not charged for the additional 9000 purchase but, no, there is nothing there. Confused...What do you think happened? I wander if I received the CashBack for a purchase that somebody else did. Ups! Sorry about that..

pianomaster said: I am in a very interesting situation. Just received an email from the rEbates site that I have additional $450 Cash Back pending in my account for purchasing American Express Gift Cards on 11/30/2009 for $9000.00 (which I have not). The only thing I really bought was 2000 gift card a day earlier and I have 100 rebate pending for it there too. Very strange! I even checked my used Credit Card if it is not charged for the additional 9000 purchase but, no, there is nothing there. Confused...What do you think happened? I wander if I received the CashBack for a purchase that somebody else did. Ups! Sorry about that..
For a second I thought that you had received exactly what my account was missing
But, after I refreshed the screen - they just posted my missing $450

seems the other site lets you order up to $75k in cards, while the FW link is limited to $5k every 14 days

pianomaster said: I am in a very interesting situation. Just received an email from the rEbates site that I have additional $450 Cash Back pending in my account for purchasing American Express Gift Cards on 11/30/2009 for $9000.00 (which I have not). The only thing I really bought was 2000 gift card a day earlier and I have 100 rebate pending for it there too. Very strange! I even checked my used Credit Card if it is not charged for the additional 9000 purchase but, no, there is nothing there. Confused...What do you think happened? I wander if I received the CashBack for a purchase that somebody else did. Ups! Sorry about that..

Does anyone have an extra $200? That's what I'm missing

why don't people just purchase AMEX GCs from Ralphs and get their 5%/6% back (grocery store category) from their CC? with the extra ralphs points deal, it makes the deal even better.

heykarinakarina said: Ralph's has a deal right now where you get 400 points per $200 spent on gift cards. I wonder if you could buy the Nordstrom gift cards with the AMEX gift cards... then go and cash the cards @ Nordies. ???

araknis said: why don't people just purchase AMEX GCs from Ralphs and get their 5%/6% back (grocery store category) from their CC? with the extra ralphs points deal, it makes the deal even better.
maybe because grocery and drugstores (or any store) that sells Visa/MC/AMEX branded prepaid gift cards will NOT LET YOU PURCHASE THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD

SUCKISSTAPLES said: araknis said: why don't people just purchase AMEX GCs from Ralphs and get their 5%/6% back (grocery store category) from their CC? with the extra ralphs points deal, it makes the deal even better.
maybe because grocery and drugstores (or any store) that sells Visa/MC/AMEX branded prepaid gift cards will NOT LET YOU PURCHASE THEM WITH A CREDIT CARD

I think the problem buying in grocery and drugstores is the fee. The max face value was $100 with like 6 something dollar fees. Buying from AMEX website I paid zero fee. If grocery stores have 1K cards with $6 fee I would have done that too.

OT: I have a 15K charge coming up next week but my orthodontist only takes master/visa. Anyone know where to buy large MC/VISA with a discount or how to convert those AMEX GC into MC/VISA with maybe a small fee? I am looking to buy 20K next week.

ok, I guess I got lucky then.. I just purchased 5k worth of AMEX GCs on my 6% back CC. Cost was $5.95 per $500.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: araknis said: why don't people just purchase AMEX GCs from Ralphs and get their 5%/6% back (grocery store category) from their CC? with the extra ralphs points deal, it makes the deal even better.

It's been at least a year since I last purchased any, but Walgreens and safeway accept credit cards for purchases of AMEX GCs. (Some people have reported problems with local store managers setting their own rules.) Riteaid does not. (All three stores do not accept credit cards for the purchase of most MC/Visa cards, particularly the Green Dot cards.)

The online site has a flat fee of $3.95 per card up to $3000 plus a per-order charge for shipping. Most grocery and drug stores do not carry denominations higher than $100 and the fee is a graduated scale. If I remember correctly, a $100 card is $5.95 at the store. That would eat up the whole 5% rebate and then some.

A $100 AMEX gift card at Walmart.com is $105.64 plus $0.97 shipping. I wonder if you can get the 20% Bing Cash Back on that one? I know WalMart gift cards are excluded from the Cash Back.

Just drained most of a $3000 gift card with some eBay purchases. Using the 15% bing CB going on now, got $200 pending and ~$185 instant CB. Will probably do some more 'shopping' later tonight.

bustgum said: ...

A $100 AMEX gift card at Walmart.com is $105.64 plus $0.97 shipping. I wonder if you can get the 20% Bing Cash Back on that one? I know WalMart gift cards are excluded from the Cash Back.

I thought exclusion is for all the GC?

chipmonger said: Just drained most of a $3000 gift card with some eBay purchases. Using the 15% bing CB going on now, got $200 pending and ~$185 instant CB. Will probably do some more 'shopping' later tonight. what are you buying? gold?

SUCKISSTAPLES said: chipmonger said: Just drained most of a $3000 gift card with some eBay purchases. Using the 15% bing CB going on now, got $200 pending and ~$185 instant CB. Will probably do some more 'shopping' later tonight. what are you buying? gold?

Forever stamps.

chipmonger said: Just drained most of a $3000 gift card with some eBay purchases. Using the 15% bing CB going on now, got $200 pending and ~$185 instant CB. Will probably do some more 'shopping' later tonight.

How did you get instant CB?

The risk with buying and selling gold -- the price can drop more than your CashBack. I suspect a lot of folks are simply buying and selling to themselves. For that you don't need real items. You just need multiple identities.

Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?

newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?
Umm, for the same reason that people buy diamonds? They are forever.

newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?

Um, the price can never go down (in fact, I think there's another rate increase coming soon)? Easily shipped? No worries about CashBack being denied (the gift card issues last year)? That's just for starters.

FutureDilemma said: newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?
Umm, for the same reason that people buy diamonds? They are forever.

Umm, I am interested in what to do next once you get the stamps. I cannot imaging myself sitting on 30K worth of forever stamps. I am short sighted.

can i pay my Charles Schaub visa CC with the AMEX GC

chipmonger said: newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?

Um, the price can never go down (in fact, I think there's another rate increase coming soon)? Easily shipped? No worries about CashBack being denied (the gift card issues last year)? That's just for starters.

Problem is, the stamps, essentially by definition, will grow at rates below inflation:

http://www.slate.com/id/2166475

cestmoi123 said: chipmonger said: newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?

Problem is, the stamps, essentially by definition, will grow at rates below inflation:

Not worried about that as I have other resources.

chipmonger said: ColbyS said: neophyte said: I was able to register one of my GCs today into Paypal account (after calling AMEX and associating card with my address)
That makes me giddy

Just wait until it gets combined with bing eBay CB and churning forever stamps. I'll be doing that shortly...

I can pretty much guarantee you that if you try to churn stamps now, eBay will close your account as will paypal. eBay is 100% on to the stamps churning, especially when Bing goes on sale at eBay. Just a heads up, I wouldn't play this game with them, even if you have 100% legitimate sales and shipping receipts ect, they don't care and will close your account without reveiw. Sorry for OT, but I felt a warning was needed.

bustgum said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: araknis said: why don't people just purchase AMEX GCs from Ralphs and get their 5%/6% back (grocery store category) from their CC? with the extra ralphs points deal, it makes the deal even better.

It's been at least a year since I last purchased any, but Walgreens and safeway accept credit cards for purchases of AMEX GCs. (Some people have reported problems with local store managers setting their own rules.) Riteaid does not. (All three stores do not accept credit cards for the purchase of most MC/Visa cards, particularly the Green Dot cards.)

The online site has a flat fee of $3.95 per card up to $3000 plus a per-order charge for shipping. Most grocery and drug stores do not carry denominations higher than $100 and the fee is a graduated scale. If I remember correctly, a $100 card is $5.95 at the store. That would eat up the whole 5% rebate and then some.

Bing's policy is that you can only earn CashBack on GC purchases at eBay, no where else. Its in their terms and conditions, section 17 if I recall correctly although I'm not looking it up right now. Usually you'll get the pending credit post for the GC purchase, but before the 60 days is up, they'll cancel your pending credit. If you have a lot of pending credits for GC's that they notice and cancel, they may close your account (which they did to my sister). Perhaps if you are lucky you could get credited for buying GC's, but I wouldn't want to risk getting banned from Bing.

cestmoi123 said: chipmonger said: newlin99 said: Lemme throw it out there: why buy forever stamps?

That's assuming you buy at the current 0.44 cent rate per stamp, instead of buying at a discounted price.

• Archived From: ForumsFinance

• 14 5 67827
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014