AMEX gift cards 3% fatcash

Archived From: Finance
  • 1 234527
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So buy a $3000 gift card with free shipping for $3003.95... get $90 CashBack (plus maybe some credit card rewards). Am I missing anything?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Looks like TopCashBack hasn't updated their Ts&Cs on the AMEX GC CB page.
Maybe that's the way to go from now on...

I actu... (more)

KYBOSH (Apr. 25, 2013 @ 7:44p) |

If you click through TCB you do not see any cards > $500
Same with FatWallet CashBack.
Looks like the limit enforced on AM... (more)

mxf (Apr. 26, 2013 @ 8:27a) |

I bit the bullet and ordered some personalized $500 GCs from AMEX via BCs.
Haven't seen the CB hit yet although they say ... (more)

KYBOSH (May. 27, 2013 @ 10:59a) |

I received a chase BT offer (like the old days) in the mail, but I'm not going to contribute the details because last time I made a thread to discuss a deal it was deleted by FW moderation and when I refused to submit to this small-minded c*nsorship I was banned from posting .

Maybe if everyone messages the mods to tell them how much being closed-minded c*nsors hurts the site then FWF will return to its f*rmer gl*ry. FWF mods you are responsible for the deterioration of this site and I will, therefore, no longer obey your rules.

----------
The guy above is an asshat. Don't let the door slam into your ass on the way out. Nothing of value was lost. Love, Oliver Q.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

VerbalK said: Am I missing anything?AMEX cards are typically the hardest to liquidate. So you'd have to limit your purchase to an amount you could reasonably spend over a period of time. Its not a quick buy-then-cash-out opportunity.

Glitch99 said: VerbalK said: Am I missing anything?AMEX cards are typically the hardest to liquidate. So you'd have to limit your purchase to an amount you could reasonably spend over a period of time. Its not a quick buy-then-cash-out opportunity.

Well all you have to do is use the $3000 you just received and purchase another $3000

Glitch99 said: VerbalK said: Am I missing anything?AMEX cards are typically the hardest to liquidate. So you'd have to limit your purchase to an amount you could reasonably spend over a period of time. Its not a quick buy-then-cash-out opportunity.
Why are they harder to liquidate than any other card?

hs said: Glitch99 said: VerbalK said: Am I missing anything?AMEX cards are typically the hardest to liquidate. So you'd have to limit your purchase to an amount you could reasonably spend over a period of time. Its not a quick buy-then-cash-out opportunity.

Well all you have to do is use the $3000 you just received and purchase another $3000
And how do you propose using that $3000 to be able to purchase another $3000?

As Glitch says, the services people use to get cash out of a prepaid card dont accept AMEX

Invest it in gold bullion coin(s) from the few stores that accepts the AM card. You simply pay ~5% above the spot price of gold.

Won't it be treated as a cash advance by the credit card company?

It depends on how the AMX site codes the purchase, and how your credit card determines cash advances.

bankdealsrule said: Invest it in gold bullion coin(s) from the few stores that accepts the AM card. You simply pay ~5% above the spot price of gold. so you pay 5% above spot to save 3%? Is 2% above spot a hot deal?

Gold is irrelevant here, what relevant is - can you rinse and repeat, will they accept AMEX GC to pay for AMEX GC?

neophyte said: what relevant is - can you rinse and repeat, will they accept AMEX GC to pay for AMEX GC?
True. Buy one and let us know .

the "new" gold coin thread?

benjiem1 said: Glitch99 said: VerbalK said: Am I missing anything?AMEX cards are typically the hardest to liquidate. So you'd have to limit your purchase to an amount you could reasonably spend over a period of time. Its not a quick buy-then-cash-out opportunity.
Why are they harder to liquidate than any other card?


AMEX is the 3rd least accept card.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: bankdealsrule said: Invest it in gold bullion coin(s) from the few stores that accepts the AM card. You simply pay ~5% above the spot price of gold. so you pay 5% above spot to save 3%? Is 2% above spot a hot deal?

I have never seen gold/silver sold for spot pricing, not to mention it changes almost 5sec. I have also never seen any place that will accept a cc for a bullion purchase. Everywhere I've gotten from was check/wire only.

I wasn't ever able to use an AMEX gift card online because I did not know the address it was registered to, so when billing tries to auth the card, it fails. I don't know if anyone has found a way against this since then, but something to keep in mind if you are trying to rinse and repeat...

davef139 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: bankdealsrule said: Invest it in gold bullion coin(s) from the few stores that accepts the AM card. You simply pay ~5% above the spot price of gold. so you pay 5% above spot to save 3%? Is 2% above spot a hot deal?

I have never seen gold/silver sold for spot pricing, not to mention it changes almost 5sec. I have also never seen any place that will accept a cc for a bullion purchase. Everywhere I've gotten from was check/wire only.
eBay with bing 10% CashBack

Use a credit card with rewards to buy the gift card, pay off the credit card with the gift card?

Edit:haha nevermind. That's the original idea.

delaen said: Use a credit card with rewards to buy the gift card, pay off the credit card with the gift card?
when you find a visa/mc/AMEX credit card that takes giftcards as payments, let us know

Let us know if you can get that to work! One nice feature is AMEX dropped all the fees that used to kick in after 12 months. So if you can float the balance (AOR?) and buy a boatload of giftcards up front, you can then use them to pay off daily expenditures for an extended period of time.

Lets say one wants to spend $1,000 on these cards. What so you think is the most profitable option to use on top of the 3% FatCash? Any way to combine the following coupons?
(1) Use the AFL5 for $5 off of any 2 AMEX Gift Cards. (2) Use the AFL420 for 5,95 discount on shipping (UPS is 7,95). Or (3) use one of the coupons (Ex: phone) for waived fees (normally 3,95).

Edit: corrected data for AFL420

pianomaster said: Lets say one wants to spend $1,000 on these cards. What so you think is the most profitable option to use on top of the 3% FatCash? Any ways to combine the following coupons?
(1)Use the AFL5 for $5 off of any 2 AMEX Gift Cards. (2)Use the free shipping with AFL420 (UPS 7,95). Or (3)use one of the coupons (Ex: phone) for waived fees (normally 3,95).
the free shipping only takes off $5.95 for standard shipping.

You cannot combine multiple discounts.

So lets see $3.95, $5 or $5.95 discount...which one do you think is the best one to use ??

can someone summarize what we're talking about here? Buy an AMEX gc with a credit card, get your rewards plus FatCash. Then you've got to use it, which keeps you from earning the credit card rewards you would have earned in the first place. So Fa Cash - fees/shipping is your net gain. How much are we talking about?

VerbalK said: So buy a $3000 gift card with free shipping for $3003.95... get $90 CashBack (plus maybe some credit card rewards). Am I missing anything?

$3000 will only ship UPS. So it will cost you 3000 + 7.95 - 5.95 + 3.95 = 3005.95.

That's still a 84.05 profit.

Pay with a 2% Cash Back credit card. Then,
3,000 + 90(3% Fat Cash) + 60(2% cb) - 3,005.95 = 144.05.
144.05/3,000 = 4.8%.

This will make the gift card to be 4.8% cb card for everything you purchase.

Blue123 said: Pay with a 2% Cash Back credit card. Then,
3,000 + 90(3% Fat Cash) + 60(2% cb) - 3,005.95 = 144.05.
144.05/3,000 = 4.8%.

This will make the gift card to be 4.8% cb card for everything you purchase.


You can't include the 2% CB from your credit card purchase unless you can fully liquidate the gift card. If you use the gift card for purchases you would have used your 2% card for, then it's a wash.

wiredspider said: I wasn't ever able to use an AMEX gift card online because I did not know the address it was registered to, so when billing tries to auth the card, it fails. I don't know if anyone has found a way against this since then, but something to keep in mind if you are trying to rinse and repeat...

I think this is key. If I can use an AMEX gift card on-line, then this is a pretty good deal: nearly 3% off everything, plus I presumably get my regular points on the gift card purchase.

Has anyone tried registering the gift card? If it's really only for in-person purchases, it will be too difficult for me to liquidate.

Apparently you can get free next day shipping if you sign up for a trial:
American Express Gift Cards said: 3-MONTH FREE TRIAL! Our Premium Shipping Plan gives you unlimited next-day shipping on all orders.
• ENJOY UNLIMITED NEXT-DAY SHIPPING on any gift card order on AmericanExpress .com/gift for one year
• NO LIMIT to how often you use it per year
• NO MINIMUM PURCHASE so you get next-day shipping on every order, big or small
• Choose the “Premium Shipping (Next Day) $99/year” as your shipping method on your order.
• At the end of the 3-month free trial, you will be charged a $99 annual enrollment fee and as a thank you we will send you a $25 American Express GIFT CARD
• If you choose to cancel before your 3-month free trial ends, all shipping charges during this period will be waived and you will not be charged the annual enrollment fee.

ChampagneDan said:

I think this is key. If I can use an AMEX gift card on-line, then this is a pretty good deal: nearly 3% off everything, plus I presumably get my regular points on the gift card purchase.


But without return protection, warranty extension, etc. I guess its best for groceries for these w/o a good cb card.

Buy AMEX gift card, use them to buy us mint direct ship dollar coins. Cash coins at bank, or buy money order and then cash them. Problem is right now the backordering of dollar coins. An order I placed on 11/4 is now supposed to ship 12/10.

Some place *may* let you purchase money orders directly using the gift card, but that is not supposed to happen.

Problem with purchasing gift card with another gift card is that cost of gift card+shipping+activation is > than gift card cost (unless you purchase a new gift card for less than than the value of the first one).

SleepyNyte said: Blue123 said: Pay with a 2% Cash Back credit card. Then,
3,000 + 90(3% Fat Cash) + 60(2% cb) - 3,005.95 = 144.05.
144.05/3,000 = 4.8%.

This will make the gift card to be 4.8% cb card for everything you purchase.


You can't include the 2% CB from your credit card purchase unless you can fully liquidate the gift card. If you use the gift card for purchases you would have used your 2% card for, then it's a wash.


Why not? You take the 2% of entire domination first, then extra 2.8% later when you make purchase with the card. Anyway, this gives you 144.05 profit from 3005.95 spending.

There is another site that will give you 5% Cash Back..it starts with an E

mrdelldude said: There is another site that will give you 5% Cash Back..it starts with an E

What site is that?

rhymes with rEbates

Since this is FW FatCash we're talking about here, I doubt that the guys running the site would allow for any easy churn exploits at their expense. And, if such a method was posted, wouldn't it be stopped immediately?

narshe14 said: Since this is FW FatCash we're talking about here, I doubt that the guys running the site would allow for any easy churn exploits at their expense. And, if such a method was posted, wouldn't it be stopped immediately?they don't care as long as they get paid. but then again AMEX might retaliate, so who knows.

Holly *it
If you use the site with 5% rEbates mentioned above you're connected to another, corporate AMEX sub-site which has max of $75K (instead of $5K via FW)
Then, use the coupon EMC11A (no card fees) and Delivery Method: "Premium Shipping $99/year" and you can order multiple 3K cards with a straight 5% CashBack up to your credit card limit or 75K.

I wonder it they'd honor $3750 in rebates

mrdelldude said: There is another site that will give you 5% Cash Back..it starts with an E

It looks however that through that link the shipping starts from 12.95.

It's double CashBack 5% at the site for only another hour or so. I think it will go down.

Skipping 1031 Messages...
I bit the bullet and ordered some personalized $500 GCs from AMEX via BCs.
Haven't seen the CB hit yet although they say we should wait 14 days from when it ships.
I dont remember it taking this long so I wanted to see if any of you guys have had any luck with these GCs since the $500 denomination cap was implemented.

Any success?

Thanks!

  • Archived From: ForumsFinance

  • 1 234527
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 1:30AM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.