• Page
  • Text Only
YuDog said:   Code for no purchase fees good until 3/31/13

EMDECWE

Code doesn't work for me.

shadow520 said:   YuDog said:   Code for no purchase fees good until 3/31/13

EMDECWE

That code won't work if you try to use it by going thru an affiliate link (like FatCash). AMEX seems to be very wise to potential double-dipping...

How much do you need in gift cards? Buy 1 $3000 gift card ($3.95 fee) and use the free shipping code (a $5.95 value).

brandon032586 said:   How much do you need in gift cards? Buy 1 $3000 gift card ($3.95 fee) and use the free shipping code (a $5.95 value).Alternatively, go through BC for 1.7% CashBack ($51), and pay the 2 fees.

HotSalami said:   shadow520 said:   YuDog said:   Code for no purchase fees good until 3/31/13

EMDECWE

That code won't work if you try to use it by going thru an affiliate link (like FatCash). AMEX seems to be very wise to potential double-dipping...

This code worked along with Bigcrumbs.

EMSVCA

YuDog said:   Code for no purchase fees good until 3/31/13

EMDECWE

From BC :

Cash Back Details & Exclusions

Cash Back not available on eGift Cards. Cash Back is not offered on fee-free promotional codes.

shadow520 said:   HotSalami said:   shadow520 said:   YuDog said:   Code for no purchase fees good until 3/31/13

EMDECWE

This code worked along with Bigcrumbs.

EMSVCA

Could somebody please verify that using codes doesn't invalidate CashBack or anything now?

I have read on the blogs that it does not affect your CB.
I personally used code EMSVCA last week and got a pending CashBack confirmation from BC yesterday.

KYBOSH said:   I have read on the blogs that it does not affect your CB.
I personally used code EMSVCA last week and got a pending CashBack confirmation from BC yesterday.

For the past two months that code has not worked for me when I try to do it.

mjoply said:   KYBOSH said:   I have read on the blogs that it does not affect your CB.

Try one of these:

American Express Gift Card Fee Waiver and Free Shipping Promotional Codes February 2013

KYBOSH said:   mjoply said:   KYBOSH said:   I have read on the blogs that it does not affect your CB.

Try one of these:

American Express Gift Card Fee Waiver and Free Shipping Promotional Codes February 2013

Read the comments on this blog. The codes do not work if the purchase is done through a referral link.

Noob to this AMEX GC thing, so I hope experts can help me get up to the speed. I have a quick question or two:

If I am getting this right, one can buy AMEX GC via BC and get CB. There are codes to get the free shipping as well as fee-free purchase (I am not sure if the codes dont work at all or they dont work when going through a referral link. My question is, is it treated as a cash advance or regular purchase? I understand that one should limit purchases to be under the credit limit. Are there any providers that dont treat it as cash advance, like chase, citi etc?

TIA.

ludhianvi said:   Noob to this AMEX GC thing, so I hope experts can help me get up to the speed. I have a quick question or two:

If I am getting this right, one can buy AMEX GC via BC and get CB. There are codes to get the free shipping as well as fee-free purchase (I am not sure if the codes dont work at all or they dont work when going through a referral link. My question is, is it treated as a cash advance or regular purchase? I understand that one should limit purchases to be under the credit limit. Are there any providers that dont treat it as cash advance, like chase, citi etc?

TIA.

It is coded as a Regular purchase... Citi is notorious for treating financial transactions like account opening deposits as cash advances regardless of the merchant code, but I never heard they do this for AMEX gift cards.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have to meet the minimum spend on chase, so I am mainly concerned with chase for now. Citi will come a little later

Between this and WFPP card, I think I should be good

Another question, how do you get money out of this AMEX card then? ATM has been mentioned as an option, but I am not able to find good details on that yet. ANy link/pointers??

Thanks once again.

VerbalK said:   It is coded as a Regular purchase... Citi is notorious for treating financial transactions like account opening deposits as cash advances regardless of the merchant code, but I never heard they do this for AMEX gift cards.

A few methods to cash out have been mentioned in the last 27 pages, though I don't think the ATM was among them (at least not without another step and transaction fee). I think bluebird would probably be a decent way to cash out, as well as the target AMEX. If you need to cashout more than these allow I recommend reading the frequent flier blogs as the bloggers have been going wild with different cashout methods for the past few months.

I searched the thread and came to this conclusion:

You cannot use Discover cards to purchase AMEX Gift Cards online from their website

T/F?

EDIT:
Looks like the reason my transaction wasn't going through was due to a fraud alert. Called 1-800-347-4996 and they cleared the transaction for me.

Is everybody only seeing $500 max denominations now? There were still $3000 as recently as 4/10, but tonight just $500.

Up to $3000
Disclaimer
mattun said:   Is everybody only seeing $500 max denominations now? There were still $3000 as recently as 4/10, but tonight just $500.

You are looking for the ones that look like this

mattun said:   Is everybody only seeing $500 max denominations now? There were still $3000 as recently as 4/10, but tonight just $500.

Thats what I have too - not if I go to the site directly then I see $3000 - but through BC or TCB - I am only getting $500

VerbalK said:   

It is coded as a Regular purchase... Citi is notorious for treating financial transactions like account opening deposits as cash advances regardless of the merchant code, but I never heard they do this for AMEX gift cards.

I have been hit with cash advance fees from Citi on the purchase of AMEX gift cards.

pwm112 said:   mattun said:   Is everybody only seeing $500 max denominations now? There were still $3000 as recently as 4/10, but tonight just $500.

Thats what I have too - not if I go to the site directly then I see $3000 - but through BC or TCB - I am only getting $500

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2013/04/25/amex-take...

pwm112 said:   mattun said:   Is everybody only seeing $500 max denominations now? There were still $3000 as recently as 4/10, but tonight just $500.

One of the blog is allover it (AMEX takes away $3K Cash Back gift cards, http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2013/04/25/amex-take...). Enjoy the hack while it works.

Bigcrumbs.com updated their AMEX GC exclusions to state:

Cash Back not available on eGift Cards. Cash Back is not offered on fee-free promotional codes. American Express will no longer offer Business or Consumer Gift cards in the following denominations: $700, $1000, $2000 and $3000. In addition, Customized and Personalized Gift Cards will be limited to maximum denominations of $500.

Deal severely crimped!

FML

loganj said:   Bigcrumbs.com updated their AMEX GC exclusions to state:

Cash Back not available on eGift Cards. Cash Back is not offered on fee-free promotional codes. American Express will no longer offer Business or Consumer Gift cards in the following denominations: $700, $1000, $2000 and $3000. In addition, Customized and Personalized Gift Cards will be limited to maximum denominations of $500.

Deal severely crimped!

Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of AMEX gift cards over Visas at giftcard mall? I know with the availability of a PIN makes liquidating much easier with the Visas!

Hhoudini said:   Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of AMEX gift cards over Visas at giftcard mall? I know with the availability of a PIN makes liquidating much easier with the Visas!

The title of the thread might be a clue, though its outdated. The 3K limit was nice too.

I know TCB gives 1.5 CB for GCM, but I've had nothing but trouble with them, but might give them a try now that AMEX CB is pretty crimped.

VerbalK said:   Hhoudini said:   Can anyone tell me what is the advantage of AMEX gift cards over Visas at giftcard mall? I know with the availability of a PIN makes liquidating much easier with the Visas!

The title of the thread might be a clue, though its outdated. The 3K limit was nice too.

I know TCB gives 1.5 CB for GCM, but I've had nothing but trouble with them, but might give them a try now that AMEX CB is pretty crimped.

Fair enough I was just looking at current state. Yeah TCB seems to be a pain. I have had to file a claim for about 1/4 of my purchases. I have not been denied. Hope that once it is time to pay I don't have any issues!

loganj said:   Bigcrumbs.com updated their AMEX GC exclusions to state:

Deal severely crimped!

No my friend... the deal is essentially DEAD.
I can't imagine getting 30 envelopes of $500 GCs where I used to get $5!

Plus the number of cards you can order per week (or per whatever they make up) is probably still in effect.

Looks like TopCashBack hasn't updated their Ts&Cs on the AMEX GC CB page.
Maybe that's the way to go from now on...

I actually placed a large order a few days ago with Big Crumbs.
I wonder how/if it will be honored????

KYBOSH said:   Looks like TopCashBack hasn't updated their Ts&Cs on the AMEX GC CB page.
Maybe that's the way to go from now on...

I actually placed a large order a few days ago with Big Crumbs.
I wonder how/if it will be honored????

If you click through TCB you do not see any cards > $500
Same with FatWallet CashBack.
Looks like the limit enforced on AMEX side

I bit the bullet and ordered some personalized $500 GCs from AMEX via BCs.
Haven't seen the CB hit yet although they say we should wait 14 days from when it ships.
I dont remember it taking this long so I wanted to see if any of you guys have had any luck with these GCs since the $500 denomination cap was implemented.

Any success?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014