• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi,

There is a recent posting on obtaining a discount on parking tickets in New York City. I don't live in NYC and replied that I don't pay out-of-state parking tickets. I would like to hear what others do with out-of-state parking tickets. Do you pay them? If so, why? I've searched through FW for a prior posting but could not find any.

From last year I have two unpaid parking tickets from a neighboring state. I've received calls from an collection agency, and ultimately these debts from the parking tieckets are on my credit report. By the way, my credit score is still in the highest category, over 760, even with unpaid debts.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Your 4 bank friends dont knoe as many lenders as fwf does

We have indeed seen higher risk based pricing or stricter guide... (more)

SUCKISSTAPLES (Dec. 28, 2009 @ 8:49a) |

Your 4 bank friends dont know as many lenders as fwf does

We have indeed seen higher risk based pricing or stricter guide... (more)

SUCKISSTAPLES (Dec. 28, 2009 @ 8:50a) |

When SIS posts it TWICE...you know it's the TRUTH...Preach on Brother!!!

craftsmd (Dec. 28, 2009 @ 9:07a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pay Your bills, deadbeat!

Daddio1949 said: Hi,

There is a recent posting on obtaining a discount on parking tickets in New York City. I don't live in NYC and replied that I don't pay out-of-state parking tickets. I would like to hear what others do with out-of-state parking tickets. Do you pay them? If so, why? I've searched through FW for a prior posting but could not find any.

From last year I have two unpaid parking tickets from a neighboring state. I've received calls from an collection agency, and ultimately these debts from the parking tieckets are on my credit report. By the way, my credit score is still in the highest category, over 760, even with unpaid debts.

despite the principle or whatever reason for not paying them, you are being foolish letting parking tickets be listed as unpaid collections on your credit...dispute them

you don't have to pay them.

but if you ever go back to that state... you do so with traffic warrants hanging over your head.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Daddio1949 said: Hi,

despite the principle or whatever reason for not paying them, you are being foolish letting parking tickets be listed as unpaid collections on your credit...dispute them
on what basis?

Crazytree said: you don't have to pay them.

but if you ever go back to that state... you do so with traffic warrants hanging over your head.

I don't know about other states, but in Maryland they can't put a warrant out just because of parking tickets. They can (and will) send a collection agency after you though.

Its just plain stupid...

1) You got the ticket because you werent supposed to park there or the meter expired
2) Unless you can prove that you were wrongly ticketed...even then , you need to contest and get the ticket voided..
3)IF you cant prove, just pay the ticket ..
4)Its not worth the hassle as If when you change your license to a different state, the new state will check with your old state and they have to release your file..and as other members pointed out, you could have a warrant hanging on you.. and a routine pull over can send you to jail..
all of this for a few dollars...Cheapo
5) Common its only a few dollars and not million dollars.. Buy things cheap, but dont be cheap...

You can probably get away with not paying. Most places won't tow or boot your car until you have 3 unpaid parking tickets.

It's not really worth it though as you may want to visit NYC again and it could potentially go on your credit report.

I live in Texas, and I've driven on Oklahoma toll roads many times without paying, and never got anything in the mail about it.

I've never gotten a parking ticket because I always put money in the meter and make sure it's legal.

This thread is like "I havnt brushed my teeth in 10 years and the dentist says I need dentures. What should I do?" You should have been brushing your teeth. Now you need dentures.

You neglected the parking. Now you need to pay the parking ticket.

tripleB said: I've never gotten a parking ticket because I always put money in the meter and make sure it's legal.

TripleB I find it hard to believe that your parents let you take the car all by yourself.

Green for you OP. It is the moral duty of all americans to not pay governments whenever possible. Every dollar to the government is another nail in the coffin of freedom.

Agree with TripleB.
TripleB, just because you got green, does not mean you should start a "Stop buying toothpaste and teeth brushing for fun and profit"

Would you pay those tickets if there was a chance you'd be arrested? Yes.
Would you pay those tickets if they were from your home state? Yes
So only reason you aren't paying the tickets is because you feel you can get away with it? Yes

What else do you do?

On the side, a 760 CS is fairly good, but just be aware that those tickets sitting there might hurt you at a later time. A credit check for a job, and they might reject because of that.

GreyRabbit said: "Stop buying toothpaste and teeth brushing for fun and profit"

Check HOT DEALS section for FAR Toothpaste.

I didn't pay a parking ticket on a college campus and they sued me in court. With court fees and additional fines, my $15 ticket became $75.

In Philly, to avoid the boot and a tow after 3 tickets, some people report their tags stolen and get a new set, so that the plate scanning van won't find them.

I got a parking ticket in Maryland over a decade ago because, in a completely empty parking lot, I backed into a parking space and there was a sign up in a different part of the lot that I never saw until after I got back to my car that said "No backing into spaces." It was truly the most ridiculous ticket in history, since there wasn't a single rational reason for giving me that ticket on that evening since there wasn't another car with 100' of my car. I would have contested it but was moving out of state the following week, so, pissed off and indignant, I refused to pay it. Eventually, the municipality sent a collections agency after me, but I ignored them, they went away after the second dunning letter and I never saw any notice of this debt appear on my credit record. Maybe I got lucky. At the time, there were no real consequences in Maryland of not paying a parking ticket, but that's not true in other states. There are states where if you don't pay the ticket, in only a matter of a little more than a month, you can be facing suspension of your registration or license. I'm not sure if such suspension proceedings can be completed in State A against a resident of State B and then State A can request that State B enforce the suspension, but for what is likely a $10-20 fine, it sure as hell doesn't seem worth it not to pay it and risk incurring a lot more in court costs and lose driving privileges or have it blemishing one's credit record.

It's ironic that I got a ticket backing into a parking space, since that was probably the only time in my life I've ever done that. I watch all of these idiots taking two or three tries to back into a parking space in a crowded parking lot and I have to wonder why they think it's worth it. Most of the time, by the time they finally get out of their cars, if they had just driven a bit further down the lot, they could have pulled through to the next space (so they would not have to back out) and could have been in the store already.

Daddio1949 said: I would like to hear what others do with out-of-state parking tickets. Do you pay them? If so, why?

From last year I have two unpaid parking tickets from a neighboring state. I've received calls from an collection agency, and ultimately these debts from the parking tieckets are on my credit report

That's why

I would apreciate opinions on this one:

I got a parking ticket when I went to my college reuniun in a small town in NY (I live in NJ). There was no sign so I would have fought the ticket if I didn't live more than 200 mile away. The amount was small (less than $40) but I didn't plan on going back for a while. This was almost two years ago and nothing has come of it so far.

Am I in the clear or will this just bite me in the ass later?

lousygolfer said: Maybe I got lucky. At the time, there were no real consequences in Maryland of not paying a parking ticket, but that's not true in other states.

I think it depends on the jurisdiction. Baltimore City is notorious for brutal late fees that can escalate to many times the actual cost of the ticket, and they'll send a collection agency after you if you don't pay. If you live in the city and don't pay your parking tickets your car can get booted & towed. City parking agents are well known for writing BS tickets, but the fines are generally small enough ($30 range) that for anyone with a real job it's not worth wasting the time to fight it in court.

ppatin said: lousygolfer said: Maybe I got lucky. At the time, there were no real consequences in Maryland of not paying a parking ticket, but that's not true in other states.

I think it depends on the jurisdiction. Baltimore City is notorious for brutal late fees that can escalate to many times the actual cost of the ticket, and they'll send a collection agency after you if you don't pay. If you live in the city and don't pay your parking tickets your car can get booted & towed. City parking agents are well known for writing BS tickets, but the fines are generally small enough ($30 range) that for anyone with a real job it's not worth wasting the time to fight it in court.

And I go to court for just about everyone I get... never paid more than $5 per. The only ticket I ever paid was the one I got on North Avenue... when I was in court fighting a parking ticket. The new Patapsco courthouse is way more convenient, but infinitely less fun.

You should not pay out of state parking tickets if you want to read a thread by BBB ..titled...

Not paying Out of State tickets for FUN and PROFIT...

I just pay the $2 and move on with my life. Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: despite the principle or whatever reason for not paying them, you are being foolish letting parking tickets be listed as unpaid collections on your credit...dispute them
I understand this point quite well. But, the unpaid debt has had little, if any, effect on my credit rating. Remember if you don't enter into the credit market, there will be little, if any, effect. I own my own home. Also, I was able to obtain two credit card deals since the tickets appeared on my report. I'm over 60 and perfectly able to retire at any time. I rarely drive in this other state.

? said: You neglected the parking. Now you need to pay the parking ticket.
There were no parking meters; tickets were issued to cars parked after 7 am. I should point out that (1) my unemployed son got the tickets using my car; (2) the parking tickets were each $100 and (3) doubled to $200 when I discovered them. So, in total there is $400 in fines from two tickets, more than a trivial amount. The tickets were not received in NYC.

Other than the effect on my credit report, I don't see what recourse the out-of-state government has in this matter. Yes, if I'm caught, then I'm dead meat. States don't honor out-of-state parking ticket but will enforce moving violations. So, there will be no affect on my driving record.

There seems to be this fear that the man will get me. But how?

Many years ago I did receive a parking ticket in Philadelphia, also out-of-state. My relatives in Philadelphia told me that a sucker would pay the ticket. After about 15 years they quit sending me threatening letters.

whirr said: Pay Your bills, deadbeat!
I come from a long time people who pay their bills, but parking tickets are different. They are to be taken to your local politician to be fixed. Unfortunately, I don't know the local politicians.

Daddio1949 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: despite the principle or whatever reason for not paying them, you are being foolish letting parking tickets be listed as unpaid collections on your credit...dispute them
I understand this point quite well. But, the unpaid debt has had little, if any, effect on my credit rating. Remember if you don't enter into the credit market, there will be little, if any, effect. I own my own home. Also, I was able to obtain two credit card deals since the tickets appeared on my report. I'm over 60 and perfectly able to retire at any time. I rarely drive in this other state.
You probably would have had an 800 score without the collection item.

I understand you arent looking for credit, but things like collections can affect your auto and homeowners insurance rates.

Its ALWAYS best to dispute any collection before it ever makes it to your credit report

jameshasty said: I would apreciate opinions on this one:

I got a parking ticket when I went to my college reuniun in a small town in NY (I live in NJ). There was no sign so I would have fought the ticket if I didn't live more than 200 mile away. The amount was small (less than $40) but I didn't plan on going back for a while. This was almost two years ago and nothing has come of it so far.

Am I in the clear or will this just bite me in the ass later?

If you already paid that $40, you might not have to suffer for the last 2 yrs.

LOL over this thread.

Reminds me of a guy I met at a party in grad school who had out of state plates on his car and motorcycle. He got over 400 tickets for parking on the sidewalk in front of his apt. (the bike, not the car). Had 'em up on the wall for decoration. Changed his plate #s every year.

Never paid any of 'em.

He told me he had once gotten booted on his car. (no way to boot a motorcycle) Cut the boot off, took car to out of state home address, got new plates, never paid, never heard anymore.

Of course, this was a long time ago. Maybe things have changed.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: You probably would have had an 800 score without the collection item.

I understand you arent looking for credit, but things like collections can affect your auto and homeowners insurance rates.

My credit score before the parking tickets was below 800, how much I don't know; I've never had a credit score above 800, but I rarely check it. But, you are saying that people with high credit scores, over 760, pay higher insurance rates. Or, is it the case that if you have a low credit score, you will get slammed? As I said, my credit score is about where is was before the parking tickets, above 760.

Basically, what everyone is saying is if your credit score goes in the tank, then you will be paying for the tickets through other ways. But, if you credit score is still strong, above 760, who cares.

Which way does it go?

You are arguing your score is still great, which it is, but without the collections it would be 30-40 pts higher, also remember its not just the number, but the mere presence of derogatory items that can result in increased risk based pricing

Daddio1949 said: I come from a long time people who pay their bills, but parking tickets are different. They are to be taken to your local politician to be fixed. Unfortunately, I don't know the local politicians.I give my parking tickets to an old guy named Arthur to fix them for me.

This is a really valuable piece of information thank you!

I saw people arguing against paying for parking tickets since they are unconstitutional anyways. So I agree with you totally.

More food for thought I found: Annoying Parking Ticket

This is a really valuable piece of information thank you!

I saw people arguing against paying for parking tickets since they are unconstitutional anyways. So I agree with you totally.

More food for thought I found: Annoying Parking Ticket

dawndelion said: I didn't pay a parking ticket on a college campus and they sued me in court. With court fees and additional fines, my $15 ticket became $75.

In Philly, to avoid the boot and a tow after 3 tickets, some people report their tags stolen and get a new set, so that the plate scanning van won't find them.

always wondered about the campus thing, myself. those are some of the worst places to illegally park since they always seem to be underfunded

I remember coming to Ohio for an interview. Pulled my car over on a small street (not a fire lane or any kind of busy street) to answer my cellphone. Right away some woman came out of an unmarked car, motioned me to roll down the window and gave me a parking ticket. I asked "I didn't know that I can't pull over here, do you want me to move?". Nope, she just wanted to meet her quota or something. Of course when I got back to Michigan, I wrote to contest it, and of course it was denied unless I drive all the way back down to contest in court. I paid the ticket because it wasn't worth another trip and back.

To OP. The bottom line: some places will try to fleece out-of-staters just because they know they can. So I feel for you. I say if it's a small amount and you are not poor, go ahead and throw the dogs a bone. But if it's big and is really unfair, then refusing to bow to abusive government tactics at the cost of a little credit score might be worth the satisfaction.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: You are arguing your score is still great, which it is, but without the collections it would be 30-40 pts higher, also remember its not just the number, but the mere presence of derogatory items that can result in increased risk based pricingNot to argue with SIS, but my experience with credit scoring tells me that - at least for home mortgage purposes - scores above 740 are not significant. When it comes to getting a mortgage at the best possible rates, 741 = 760 = 800. This data is taken from Q&As with not fewer than 4 mortgage brokers and bankers who are personal friends.

Your 4 bank friends dont knoe as many lenders as fwf does

We have indeed seen higher risk based pricing or stricter guidelines for scores under 760 with a few lenders, and in the current environment it is even stricter than before

Your 4 bank friends dont know as many lenders as fwf does

We have indeed seen higher risk based pricing or stricter guidelines for scores under 760 with a few lenders, and in the current environment it is even stricter than before

When SIS posts it TWICE...you know it's the TRUTH...Preach on Brother!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014