BOA cc maybe I'm wrong here

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Ok newbie here but I had to post. I've been a long time cc holder at BOA. I've always heard that it raises red flags to use your cc for groceries, gas, etc. So imagine my laugh tonight when I got an email stating I can get 2 for 1 airfare by using my cc. Here's a snippet of the fine print

"To qualify for this offer, you must use your account to make at least one transaction on or before March 31, 2010 at one of the following specified merchant category codes: Gas Stations (5541-5542), Grocery Stores (5411, 5422, 5441, 5451, 5462, and 5499), Drug Stores/Pharmacies (5122, 5295, 5912) and Dry Cleaning (7216). Purchases made at a merchant that does not process transactions under these codes will not qualify and you will not receive the offer. Allow up to 10-12 weeks for after qualifying to receive your companion airfare certificate."

what do you all think of this?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

megadealmaker12 said: I've always heard that it raises red flags to use your cc for groceries, gas, etc.
Where did you hear that from? Makes no sense.

Allow up to 10-12 weeks for after qualifying to receive your companion airfare Search for companion fare deal. They are quite worthless because they all require you to buy full priced tickets which is typically 2 or 3X the price of discount ticket.

I've read that using a credit card for groceries makes u more of a credit risk

megadealmaker12 said: I've read that using a credit card for groceries makes u more of a credit risk

Please provide a link to this reading. Or cite the publication. Thank you.

are you referring to the AMEX WalMart thing, or is this something else?

megadealmaker12 said: I've read that using a credit card for groceries makes u more of a credit risk

I never heard of such a thing. I think you're making things up or you're nuts. I lean towards the latter..

megadealmaker12 said: ...I've always heard that it raises red flags to use your cc for groceries, gas, etc...

I always use my cards for groceries, gas, etc...

I heard if you use your credit card to buy aluminum foil, the Free Masons may then realize that you've figured out a way of blocking their mind control satellite transmissions. That's why I make my own out of crushed up soda cans and nestle crunch wrappers.

VerbalK said: I heard if you use your credit card to buy aluminum foil, the Free Masons may then realize that you've figured out a way of blocking their mind control satellite transmissions. That's why I make my own out of crushed up soda cans and nestle crunch wrappers.

They are now on to that also...

VerbalK said: I heard if you use your credit card to buy aluminum foil, the Free Masons may then realize that you've figured out a way of blocking their mind control satellite transmissions. That's why I make my own out of crushed up soda cans and nestle crunch wrappers.
Knowing where you work, I wouldn't doubt it. I bet you'll be hearing from Jesse Ventura soon with a request to appear on his new TV show as an "expert."

Would I get a big raise in limit if I charge it at the Emperor's Club?

People have claimed some banks use certain spending patterns as a sign of credit worthiness. The Wal-Mart thing was mentioned, also some relativity to Starbucks etc.

I would say these days, credit card companies want people to use their credit cards for any and everything because they make transaction fees on everything.

Certainly there may be some degree of risk profiling done based on purchasing patterns and locations, but it is likely not as simple as buy groceries = bad.

They give green flags on your cc for H&B. The more the better

I think you are confusing using credit cards at grocery stores with "don't buy groceries on credit". Those of you under thirty won't remember, but it wasn't too long ago that grocery stores didn't even accept credit cards! When the stores first began accepting credit, many were aghast that people would have to "borrow" money to buy food. Hence, the warnings to not use credit cards at grocery stores grew out of the general guidance, "don't buy things you can't afford".

It has nothing to do with credit profiling.

A friendly note to all new members - if your post title contains the phrase "maybe I'm wrong here" or some variation thereof, the vast majority of the time you in fact are wrong.

dcwilbur said: I think you are confusing using credit cards at grocery stores with "don't buy groceries on credit". Those of you under thirty won't remember, but it wasn't too long ago that grocery stores didn't even accept credit cards! When the stores first began accepting credit, many were aghast that people would have to "borrow" money to buy food. Hence, the warnings to not use credit cards at grocery stores grew out of the general guidance, "don't buy things you can't afford".

It has nothing to do with credit profiling.

Yeah, I'd bet that what the OP is confused about. That's probably why we were all confused too though. FWFers don't even consider the possibility that other people borrow money to get groceries and gas, let alone consider doing it themselves. I doubt any bank is now profiling transactions like this. They are more likely to profile based on frequency and location of transactions. (ie, you charge in Indiana, and then in Mexico, within 15 minutes).

I'd be loosing out on a huge amount of rewards Cash Back if I didn't charge for gas and groceries, in fact, those are the highest 'paying' places to shop. I'd imagine most other here are in the same boat. I haven't had enough cash on me to buy a gallon of gas, or a gallon of milk in years.

donotdrinkPBR said: A friendly note to all new members - if your post title contains the phrase "maybe I'm wrong here" or some variation thereof, the vast majority of the time you in fact are wrong.

That has NOTHING to do with the fact that he is a "new member". Even a complete bozo can become an "old member" just by creating an account and sitting on it for a year...BUT...It has everything to do with the fact that he probably knew he was wrong before he posted this...but he posted it nonetheless...

poordealguy said: donotdrinkPBR said: A friendly note to all new members - if your post title contains the phrase "maybe I'm wrong here" or some variation thereof, the vast majority of the time you in fact are wrong.

That has NOTHING to do with the fact that he is a "new member". Even a complete bozo can become an "old member" just by creating an account and sitting on it for a year...BUT...It has everything to do with the fact that he probably knew he was wrong before he posted this...but he posted it nonetheless...

Actually they can't. "New Member" status is completely determined by posts < some small number (20, I think). The OP's account is almost a year old, it just says new member because it was his second post.

TripleB is activating some of his "unused" accounts, in preperation to "argue" with himself (or maybe AGRRE with himself).

*If OP is serious... there are no repercussions for using the cards the way you stated. I have a BofA card I use ONLY for BEER, Booze, Cigarettes, and Fuel... and the credit limit on that card is over 50K and has been for years!

I have received the same offer from Bank of America. The letter reads Visit bankofamerica.com/easyrewards or call 1.888.205.5781. I called the phone number and it was only for registering for the offer. It did not explain the "specified merchant category codes" shown in the fine print on the reverse side of the letter!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014