• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've had my Etrade account for over 7 years but it appears I have bumped up against a system lifetime limit although no one at Etrade knows what this limit is and it's not published anywhere on their site. So now I can't add external accounts on my main financial hub. If anyone had the same issue and resolved this issue I'd appreciate any info.

Here's how the dialog went:

My question/statement:
Please reset my account so I can add a new external account. Rec'd this message: "We are sorry, but we are unable to enroll any additional external accounts at this time as your account has met the lifetime enrollment limit.

Response from Etrade:
Thank you for your message regarding the limit of accounts you have added. Unfortunately we are not able to bypass the system message. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Once again, thank you.

My question/statement:
I had the same problems a couple years ago and there is something that can be done once the system thinks a lifetime enrollment limit has been met. Please pass this to your supervisor or 2nd level programmers to have this issue remedied. What is the lifetime limit and where do you find this limit on your website or within marketing material?

Response from Etrade
Thank you for the inquiry regarding external accounts. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience or frustration you may have experienced regarding this issue. As our customer, we consider your comments very important.

I'm not sure what the exact number is, however based on the activity you have used, the system has deemed you as unfit to add more.

Hmmmm? Not sure what to do next.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You forgot to mention how many dozens of accounts you added over the last 7 years for signup bonuses. Perhaps the answer is to count your current switching costs against those earnings, close the account, and open a new one.

It's likely that the limit for linked accounts is tied to your system user name, and by closing and reopening an account, you may receive a new account number and/or login name which wipes this clean.

Perhaps you can even suggest to a CSR that they try changing your login name or account number.

Happened to me two years ago. I threaten to move all my brokerage and retirement accounts to Fidelity and my "lifetime limit" got reset.

Call them. They will override the limit.

Wow. That's pretty customer-unfriendly. I would definitely be PO'd if my main financial hub tried to feed me a line like that. I definitely concur with other posters who recommend threatening account cancellation. It sounds like you are a real customer, not just someone with a buck or two sitting in the account. Shameless plug for USAA here -- they've accommodated me on every reasonable request I've made of them.

okwiater said: Wow. That's pretty customer-unfriendly. I would definitely be PO'd if my main financial hub tried to feed me a line like that. I definitely concur with other posters who recommend threatening account cancellation. It sounds like you are a real customer, not just someone with a buck or two sitting in the account. Shameless plug for USAA here -- they've accommodated me on every reasonable request I've made of them.

I remember some one saying that USAA had a lifetime limit as well. Just need to open a new account to get around it though.

There was a dude a while back who had thousands of accounts, in order to keep the small trial deposits. Probably why there are limits now.

TravelerMSY said: There was a dude a while back who had thousands of accounts, in order to keep the small trial deposits. Probably why there are limits now.Most banks take back their deposits now, in which case a limit is unnecessary.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014