• 112131415 16
  • Page
  • Text Only
KTC is still alive, it's the match that went away. Without the match, it's pointless.

chrislee9734 said:   It seems that $100 checking bonus and KTC deal is still alive. I just signed up for a checking account last night and KTC was offered to me.

But was the *match* offered?

I opened up these accounts online and have not yet been given access yet. So I cannot confirm if matching still works.

But KTC website is still up and says:

How Keep the Change works
Enroll in our Keep the Change savings program and when you make everyday purchases with your Bank of America debit cardFootnote 1, we'll:
Round up your purchase to the nearest dollar amount
Transfer the difference from your checking account to your savings account
Track your savings in Online Banking

What you refer to as matching.. isn't the same thing as "Transfer the difference from your checking account to your savings account"?

^ No. It is not the same. Previous KTC enrolled accounts did the same thing....moved money from checking to savings. This is just moving YOUR OWN MONEY. There is a counter that you should see indicating the "match" and the match shows up as a deposit 11-12 months later.

I apologize if I am not understanding you right.

Are you saying that KTC matching of 99 cents (profit) resulting from a $1.01 purchase, is gone?
And that 99 cents will simply be transfered from my own checking account to savings account?

chrislee9734 said:   I apologize if I am not understanding you right.

Are you saying that KTC matching of 99 cents (profit) resulting from a $1.01 purchase, is gone?
And that 99 cents will simply be transfered from my own checking account to savings account?

Correct.

KTC:
Charge 0.01 = BOA will transfer 0.99 from your checking to your savings

KTC with matching (which is no longer available):
Charge 0.01 = BOA will transfer 0.99 from your checking to your savings AND THEN GIVES YOU AN ADDITIONAL 0.99 in your savings account

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-keep-the-change.go

When will I get my bank match?

The matching funds will be credited to your savings account. To receive matching funds, you must have enrolled in Keep the Change prior to December 4, 2013. This will take place within 8 weeks after the month of your enrollment anniversary for the Keep the Change® savings program. To receive the matching funds, your checking and savings accounts must be open and in good standing, and you must still be enrolled in the service.

I enrolled shortly before the matching was discontinued and am still on my 3 months of matching. They have been putting in match deposits every week or so - I haven't had to wait extended periods of time.

UPDATE - I was wrong on this and was misinterpreting the transactions. I have not received any match yet posted to my account, though the online site does show me accumulating the match:

This includes the total saved from purchases since enrollment, last match paid and pending match. Your pending match will be paid on anniversary of your enrollment."

I am currently at ~$430 so only have to save another $35 or so to meet my full $250 match.

So the Keep the Change program is no longer matching for a $250 bonus?
I did at least two cycles of Keep the Change. So looking to open an account soon for a third go at it. Guess I should have opened my account last month. 

I guess so. Though I don't see how BOA would continue to call the program the same name, if it is not letting us to "KEEP" the change.

That's exactly what it's doing. It's like paying for a $1.15 item with 2 $1 bills and getting $0.85 back and keeping it. Really it's like taking all that change you'd get if you did that a lot and putting it in a jar (the savings account).

From BOA website:

FAQs: Keep The Change

What is the match rate?
There is no matching rate offered for new enrollments at this time.

You're telling us what we all know.

[q=BenH;18272512 said: ]I enrolled shortly before the matching was discontinued and am still on my 3 months of matching. They have been putting in match deposits every week or so - I haven't had to wait extended periods of time...............UPDATE - I was wrong on this and was misinterpreting the transactions. I have not received any match yet posted to my account, though the online site does show me accumulating the match:................This includes the total saved from purchases since enrollment, last match paid and pending match. Your pending match will be paid on anniversary of your enrollment."

I am currently at ~$430 so only have to save another $35 or so to meet my full $250 match.

Like you, I enrolled in BOA's KTC program one week before they discontinued the matching program.  My three month "matching" period is ending.  BOA's online banking states that payment by them of the 100% matching amounts will occur "within eight weeks" after the anniversary of my KTC enrollment.  What have been others' experiences in receiving the actual payout of the matches?

I made a point of making PDF printouts of every single page of my KTC transactions.  In retrospect, it is funny to see how many times I manually pumped gas for a very small amount, i.e. $4.03 or $5.01.  I suppose over time I became more skilled at manipulating a gas pump!  Lord knows how many times I bought a coffee at the McDonald's drive through for $1.10 (including sales tax) using my debit card!  Unlike some FW folks, I was wary of attracting the attention of BOA's fraud department so I usually made just one or two gas-station debit transactions per day - though just before my KTC matching ended, I did run 3 gas pump transactions in one day.

For awhile it was fun, but I'm actually looking forward to minimizing the use of BOA's debit card.  Going forward, I will buy coffee and inexpensive snacks with paper currency and coins.   For groceries and some big-ticket purchases, I will be using the BOA Balance Rewards CashBack CC, while for a lot of other routine purchases I will use a debit card linked to a credit union "high yield" Rewards Checking account.

RIP KTC.  That was a fun one.  I think I did 10 of them from around 2010-2012.  Lots of Verizon 1.01, 1.02...etc

I thought they only let you do 5?

ajcp said:   I thought they only let you do 5?

5 per SSN.  But even that there were people that were able to do more.  I tried #11 but it didn't work.

T-Mobile is mine. I did 1.01, 1.02, etc... all the way up to 1.25 sometimes. I'm -$125 in billing with them .

I'll take the free $1k over the course of 2014 spank you very much.

By the time I finally started this, I only got 1 in I appreciate your contributions to this thread, dbl.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014