CarMax MaxCare doesn't care.

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A year and a half ago, I bought a 92 Nissan Altima from CarMax. I got 5 yrs financing with CarMax and purchased the MaxCare extended warranty for the full 5 years I would be paying for the car. Supposedly MaxCare covers the car bumper to bumber, except for the exhaust system, and parts that wear out regularly like brakes, calipers, rotors, shocks and struts(All of which I've had to have replaced at my own cost since purchasing the car).

Last week the car started making loud noises and the oil light kept coming on. I took it in to CarMax immediately, as I have with all problems. They looked at it and seems it that the exhaust system, which CarMax replaced last month for about $1K, has caused issues with the cylinders and the bottom line is that now the car needs an engine. MaxCare is denying the claim and refuses to pay because according to them, it was a non-warranty part that caused the issue. I've re-read the MaxCare agreement and there is NO paragraph that states that if a non-warranty part causes an issue with a warranty part, then MaxCare won't pay for the repair of the warranty part.

The price of the car as $10K, with MaxCare extended warranty, 19.99% financing, fees and taxes, the final cost of the car was over $17K. I have put over $3K in maintenance at CarMax into the car in only a year and a half. Since I still owe over $14K in financing that I still have to pay over the next 3.5 years, the least CarMax can do is honor the MaxCare extended warranty and pay the $4K for the repair of the engine that they have been working on since I bought the car.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Have you tried a non carmax garage? I got my maxcare work done at pontiac/chevy dealerships and carmax paid for it. I ... (more)

scorp00 (Jan. 24, 2010 @ 2:19p) |

OP needs a 2nd opinion either way. Carmax sold the warranty and carmax sold the OP an exhaust system for $1k. At $1k, ... (more)

dcg9381 (Jan. 24, 2010 @ 2:32p) |

You mean before or after she sold herself out to GM?

SigX (Jan. 25, 2010 @ 1:03p) |

OP meant 2002, not 1992 Altima.

Did you rip on him for making a typo? A VERY OBVIOUS one?
Get a life. The Ego is growing around here.

Excuse me? You bought a 17 year old car and your final cost is 17k? How do you justify your "Thrifty Member" username description?

suuave said:
The price of the car as $10K, with MaxCare extended warranty, 19.99% financing, fees and taxes, the final cost of the car was over $17K.
Wow for a 18 year old car? Why did you not run from this deal in the first place?

Also, unless its a new car, never get your car serviced at the same place where your warranty is from.

What to do now? Try to find a local consumer protection attorney, and file BBB and attorney general complaints. Also try a news station, many like to do stories on consumer issues like this.

Edit: I assume your credit is already bad since you took a 20% APR loan. Why dont you stop paying and let them repo it?

Are you seriously surprised that a 19 year old car has problems?

my last used car that I bought was 6 years old and cost me $3500, either you meant to put 2002 altima or you're not smart enough to be helped

suuave said: The price of the car as $10K, with MaxCare extended warranty, 19.99% financing, fees and taxes, the final cost of the car was over $17K.

You should be stripped of your fatwallet membership and perma-banned. Seriously.

Is it even drivable w/ the bad engine?

I would just stop paying it, as SIS noted your credit can't be that good with 20% APR on a used car loan. Assuming you can drive it just make sure you never have anything valuable in it when you park it somewhere.

WOW, always wondered how carmax stays in business!

that car should have cost like $500 and you paid $17k? unbelievable!

They should have classes in high school/college that teach you the basics of life, like buying a car lol.

Beernuts82 said: suuave said: The price of the car as $10K, with MaxCare extended warranty, 19.99% financing, fees and taxes, the final cost of the car was over $17K.

You should be stripped of your fatwallet membership and perma-banned. Seriously.
and he prides himself in being a "thrifty member". i don't think 19.99% apr and $17k for a $500 is anything to be thrifty about haha

You should get MRI.
Maybe it is just tumor and not birth defect.

suuave said: ....
You bought a 17 year old car.... and financed it for 5 years?

suuave said: A year and a half ago, I bought a 92 Nissan Altima from CarMax. I got 5 yrs financing with CarMax and purchased the MaxCare extended warranty for the full 5 years I would be paying for the car. Supposedly MaxCare covers the car bumper to bumber, except for the exhaust system, and parts that wear out regularly like brakes, calipers, rotors, shocks and struts(All of which I've had to have replaced at my own cost since purchasing the car).

Last week the car started making loud noises and the oil light kept coming on. I took it in to CarMax immediately, as I have with all problems. They looked at it and seems it that the exhaust system, which CarMax replaced last month for about $1K, has caused issues with the cylinders and the bottom line is that now the car needs an engine. MaxCare is denying the claim and refuses to pay because according to them, it was a non-warranty part that caused the issue. I've re-read the MaxCare agreement and there is NO paragraph that states that if a non-warranty part causes an issue with a warranty part, then MaxCare won't pay for the repair of the warranty part.

The price of the car as $10K, with MaxCare extended warranty, 19.99% financing, fees and taxes, the final cost of the car was over $17K. I have put over $3K in maintenance at CarMax into the car in only a year and a half. Since I still owe over $14K in financing that I still have to pay over the next 3.5 years, the least CarMax can do is honor the MaxCare extended warranty and pay the $4K for the repair of the engine that they have been working on since I bought the car.

There must be a typo, although 17k is crazy even if the car was from 02 and not 92.

well the sales price was really $10k, its with finance charges etc its 17k.

still ridiculous. This example is so bad I think news stations would cover it.

ppatin said: There must be a typo, although 17k is crazy even if the car was from 02 and not 92.maybe this includes all warranty and all finance charges??

back in 2002 i bought a brand new tahoe, put ZERO down and had interest rate of like 3.9%. Lady i used to work with bought a 2-3 year old altima had awful credit and was paying like 22% interest. Her car payment was well over mine and i had a brand new tahoe. it's amazing how people make life harder on themselves then they need to.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: well the sales price was really $10k, its with finance charges etc its 17k.

still ridiculous. This example is so bad I think news stations would cover it.
right, but problem i have is he "signed" the paperwork agreeing with the dealer on the deal. Yeah some people get taken advantage of but come on!

rmhop said: ppatin said: There must be a typo, although 17k is crazy even if the car was from 02 and not 92.maybe this includes all warranty and all finance charges??

back in 2002 i bought a brand new tahoe, put ZERO down and had interest rate of like 3.9%. Lady i used to work with bought a 2-3 year old altima had awful credit and was paying like 22% interest. Her car payment was well over mine and i had a brand new tahoe. it's amazing how people make life harder on themselves then they need to.

Good point. I used to have a coworker whose loser brother in law had failed so badly at life that when he bought a car he actually had to pay to have an interlock device installed that would disable the car if he didn't make his monthly payments. I think that the financing charges ended up being more than the car was worth. That guy was a great reminder about why you should never marry into a family of losers and deadbeats.

he also signed for a warranty they arent honoring in good faith.

They didnt perform and he shouldnt have to either

ppatin said: rmhop said: ppatin said: There must be a typo, although 17k is crazy even if the car was from 02 and not 92.maybe this includes all warranty and all finance charges??

Good point. I used to have a coworker whose loser brother in law had failed so badly at life that when he bought a car he actually had to pay to have an interlock device installed that would disable the car if he didn't make his monthly payments. I think that the financing charges ended up being more than the car was worth. That guy was a great reminder about why you should never marry into a family of losers and deadbeats.
yeah my dad's friend is in that business and it's HUGE return on those cars. most of the cars are just average to crappy cars and people are putting down payments and paying ridiculous payments a month and if they don't pay it has a GPS in it and the company comes and picks up the car.

suuave said: A year and a half ago, I bought a 92 Nissan Altima from CarMax. I got 5 yrs financing with CarMax and purchased the MaxCare extended warranty for the full 5 years I would be paying for the car. Supposedly MaxCare covers the car bumper to bumber, except for the exhaust system, and parts that wear out regularly like brakes, calipers, rotors, shocks and struts(All of which I've had to have replaced at my own cost since purchasing the car).

how many miles does the car have?

"CarMax used cars can be covered by MaxCare, a comprehensive extended service plan that lasts up to 72 months or 100,000 miles."

odometer was obviously rolled back

I have had some success with extended warranties but being persistent (called them many times) and asked them to show me in writing where the contract says what they are claiming.

yet another horror story about the low life sellers of CarMax, shady outfit, it's doomed, or at least I hope it is.

As a "mechanic" - the exhaust system causing problems in the cylinders sounds suspect. You need to get "clarity" around this issue.
A plugged exhaust might mean that your car runs bad, but it won't "kill" your motor... In fact, I can't think of any condition where a bad exhaust system would cause a motor failure.

People are going to take you off topic because you got a horrible deal on that car... Keep them focused on the warranty claim. What are the consumer protection laws in your area?
If you have no luck with pressure on carmax, I'd get a 2nd WRITTEN mechanics opinion and then: 1) Come back to carmax 2)Sue in small claims for the cost of a factory NEW motor and associated dealer install (more than your car is worth).

The denial sounds like complete BS to me... Even if it wasn't BS - they did an exhaust repair, right?

I've looked at two cars at carmax. Despite having an example of "bad repairs" right up front - both of them had obvious and very poorly done body panel repairs. The salespeople I've dealt with know nothing of cars, car repair, or body work - they're salespeople.

dcg9381 said: As a "mechanic" - the exhaust system causing problems in the cylinders sounds suspect. You need to get "clarity" around this issue.
A plugged exhaust might mean that your car runs bad, but it won't "kill" your motor... In fact, I can't think of any condition where a bad exhaust system would cause a motor failure.

The denial sounds like complete BS to me... Even if it wasn't BS - they did an exhaust repair, right?

When I read up on the Nissan Altima (i don't remember which years - early 2000s) it turned out faulty catalytic converters ruin the engine...
"On the Contrary, a catalytic converter can ruin an engine, and any shadetree mechanic knows this. If a converter becomes faulty or clogged it creates too much exhaust backpressure and can prematurely wear out piston rings, cylinder walls, even heads and head gaskets if left untreated"

"Nissan 2003 Altima - Catalytic converter went and fed rust and metal back into the motor and ruined the motor as well. When my mechanic called the Nissan dealer for the part the mechanic at Nissan said "is the car burning oil??", my mechanic said "yes" and the Nissan mechanic said "oh yeah, the motors blown as well. this is a known problem with Altimas due to a faulty design of the cat converter, which is actually part of the exhaust manifold

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/nissan_altima.html#ixz...

My fault...Im so upset...I bought a 2002 Nissan.

Buy a Honda kid.

How can anybody purchase a vehicle for 20% interest rate? facepalm!

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Try to find a local consumer protection attorney, and file BBB and attorney general complaints.

I'm on it!

I agree with DCG9381 above, a bad exhust does not cause motor damage. Exhaust is one of the most often messed-with things for people who mess with their cars.

Everybody knows that Japanese cars are so well-built that they will last forever, even 17-year old cars. The $17,000 was a tremendous bargain. Bravo, OP!

I do not care how good Japanese cars are. As people by Japanese, American workers lose their jobs and as result become resentful and sarcastic.

MaxRC said: I agree with DCG9381 above, a bad exhust does not cause motor damage. .The bad cats on the altima do, see the link above

this is a common problem on this car

For those who question my sanity and worthiness of being on FW...
I purchased the 7 yr old car from CarMax with the extended warranty at that awful rate because:
1) my old car died suddenly on me,
2) I had just gotten married a week before (I paid for my own wedding since her parents are deceased.),
3) I didn't have any money left for a downpayment (including credit cards) since even conservatively priced weddings are expensive,
4) I had just started my new job literally the day before and I had no way to get to work (I live in the city and the job is in the suburbs.) if I didn't get something immediately.
5) I own my place, so moving closer to work immediately was not an option.
My credit just is fine but the above circumstances dictated that I make a deal with the devil!!!
Now that my wife and I have a two month old, its even more critical that I have a working vehicle since she doesn't drive.

I need suggestions on the best way to either get CarMax to honor the warranty or my best course of action otherwise, not nit-picking over a situation I had little control over a year and a half ago.

suuave said: For those who question my sanity and worthiness of being on FW...
I purchased the 7 yr old car from CarMax with the extended warranty at that awful rate because:
2) I had just gotten married a week before (I paid for my own wedding since her parents are deceased.),
3) I didn't have any money left for a downpayment (including credit cards) since even conservatively priced weddings are expensive,
4) I had just started my new job literally the day before and I had no way to get to work (I live in the city and the job is in the suburbs.) if I didn't get something immediately.
My credit just is fine but the above circumstances dictated that I make a deal with the devil!!!
Now that my wife and I have a two month old, its even more critical that I have a working vehicle since she doesn't drive.

I need suggestions on the best way to either get CarMax to honor the warranty or my best course of action otherwise, not nit-picking over a situation I had little control over a year and a half ago.

your credit score must not be that great if you are sportin a 19.9% interest rate. you could have gotten a brand new ford focus or similar car and saved a bunch of cash. next time join a credit union and get decent financing before you go to buy a car.

also, next time create a thread about how you're thinking of this deal and many on here will give you other options to help you get a good deal etc.

suuave said:

Already poseted as my first reply:

What to do now? Try to find a local consumer protection attorney, and file BBB and attorney general complaints. Also try a news station, many like to do stories on consumer issues like this.

suuave said: For those who question my sanity and worthiness of being on FW...

Dear OP, you must be feeling really bad. I wished you had not received any additional grief from this forum.

katx said: I do not care how good Japanese cars are. As people by Japanese, American workers lose their jobs and as result become resentful and sarcastic.

TO my understanding "American Cars" are built either in Canada or Mexico (NAFTA) whereas Toyota makes cars in US. So who would loose a job if you dont buy an American car?

DesiVibe said: katx said: I do not care how good Japanese cars are. As people by Japanese, American workers lose their jobs and as result become resentful and sarcastic.

TO my understanding "American Cars" are built either in Canada or Mexico (NAFTA) whereas Toyota makes cars in US. So who would loose a job if you dont buy an American car?
it doesn't really matter where they are built bc most parts don't come from the USA either. majority of everything we buy is made in another country.

DesiVibe said: katx said: I do not care how good Japanese cars are. As people by Japanese, American workers lose their jobs and as result become resentful and sarcastic.

My apologies. Let me fix that:

I do not care how good Japanese cars are. As people by Japanese, American car workers lose their jobs and as result become resentful and sarcastic.

well, you should ask before you bought this car. 17K can bring a brand new car to your home

Skipping 58 Messages...
lillazyfats81 said: Suze Orman would have DENIED you btw.
You mean before or after she sold herself out to GM?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014