• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I walk into bank with a box of 1 dollar coins and wanted to deposit them into my account.
The teller tells me they don't want them. The manager came out and said they will not take
coins because she thinks something is shady going on here.

Now..I do have a checking account with them. Anything I can do to retaliate considering that coins are legal tender and all and
they suppose to take them? I have previously deposited only 500 dollars worth of coins in this branch so it's not like I am
there every day...Oh and they also called me later and closed my account and said I can pickup cash ( coins) from the branch.
Absolutely rude people...I want to get back at them!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are not supposed to put food in a safe deposit box.

DavidScubadiver (Feb. 06, 2010 @ 4:20p) |

what if it's really expensive truffles that I consider to be extremely valuable and think will rise in price?

KLineD (Feb. 06, 2010 @ 4:43p) |

Open a credit card there. Use coins to pay that debt.

studiddy (Feb. 06, 2010 @ 6:00p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why don't you post in the $1 coin thread?
Or better yet, why don't you READ the $1 coin thread?

Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, South Dakota, Vermont, Kentucky, Virginia are Open Carry; do you live in one of these states?

BOA?

xoneinax said: Arizona is Open Carry; do you live in Arizona?two words: Pink Underwear.

You will not win, so quit whining. You are suppose to be spending them anyways, right? Move on with life and dont cause a stir to ruin the deal even further.

I'm sorry. I just have to laugh. The bank closed the account and wants the OP pick up the cash in coins? LOL LOL and again LOL.
What's the OP to do? Tell the bank that he doesn't want them? The bank will just say, "ditto".

Let the reds begin........

I think OP is just trolling. Why not do it in the relevant thread?

P.S. I'll give ya 90 cents on the dollar. You pay shipping.
LOL again.

scrapycoco said: Bank would not take 1 dollar coins!..Anything I can do?

Yes there is!!

You can spend those dollar coins and help stimulate the local economy. You can even write a letter to Obama to tell him what a proud and patriotic citizen you have been and he might send you a picture of himself to express his gratitude.

I know for fact that the baristas at Starbucks accept coins in exchange for their services. You can also drop them in one of those salvation army bell ringing baskets. You can give your excess coins at the supermarket or McDonalds and maybe a penny or two could reach the needy.

I am also willing to give you my address if you don't know what do with your leftover dollars.

The Metro and Metrolink ticket dispensers in Los Angeles accept dollar coins. So do the parking meters in Laguna Beach.

You can throw your coins in a wishing well or a fountian and maybe your dreams will come true.

scrapycoco said: So I walk into bank with a box of 1 dollar coins and wanted to deposit them into my account.
The teller tells me they don't want them. The manager came out and said they will not take

Now..I do have a checking account with them. Anything I can do to retaliate considering that coins are legal tender and all and
they suppose to take them? I have previously deposited only 500 dollars worth of coins in this branch so it's not like I am
there every day...Oh and they also called me later and closed my account and said I can pickup cash ( coins) from the branch.

I want to get back at you for wasting my time reading this thread.

Gesus...so many people have nothing useful to say..why not give your mother a call instead of wasting time on the net?

Why not call your mother and ask her what you should do with your dollar coins?

*edited for spelling*

scrapycoco said: Gesus...so many people have nothing useful to say..why not give your mother a call instead of wasting time on the net?

whatcha talkin about scrapy? I gave you useful advice. Spend'os dollas.

Ain't der a corner near u?

scrapycoco said: Oh and they also called me later and closed my account and said I can pickup cash ( coins) from the branch.

Even though we know that your story doesn't add up-- are they going to give you dollar coins?

delete

ripoffreport.com
complaints.com
complaint.bbb.org

Why do you think they really refused to take the coins?
Why did they think something shady was going on?
The answer to the questions may direct you toward an appropriate action.

Were the coins already rolled up in paper rolls?

which bank are we talking here about??? is this policy included in a particular branch or nationwide banks
??????

hatterbrian said: Why not call your mother and ask her what you should do with your dollar coins?

*edited for spelling*

Because the change machine she wears doesn't take dollars.

They refused them because they said " Very unusual to deposit few thousands of coins in a brand new account"..The "unusual" was the key word!
I tried to talk to their managers..but they really don't care.
The coins were rolled up..straight from US mint..nothing shady.
The bank is The bank of the West. They said they have no specific policy about coins, but they said
they can refuse any transaction they want.
The question remains: how can they not accept legal tender?..Just pisses me off!

scrapycoco said: The question remains: how can they not accept legal tender?..Just pisses me off!

Go read the banking regs. They have the authority to refuse deposits and accounts.

Oh, and the obligation to report suspicious activity to a central database.

The great thing about that reg, is that if you call them up to complain or inquire, the FI has to generate another SAR, thereby increasing the likelihood you will run into problems with other FIs when, of course, they do an inquiry on you as part of their standard "know your customer" new account due diligence.

edit: If indeed they did file a SAR on you, the regs would prohibit them from telling you that.

BEEFjerKAY said: scrapycoco said: The question remains: how can they not accept legal tender?..Just pisses me off!

Go read the banking regs. They have the authority to refuse deposits and accounts.

Oh, and the obligation to report suspicious activity to a central database.

The great thing about that reg, is that if you call them up to complain or inquire, the FI has to generate another SAR, thereby increasing the likelihood you will run into problems with other FIs when, of course, they do an inquiry on you as part of their standard "know your customer" new account due diligence.

edit: If indeed they did file a SAR on you, the regs would prohibit them from telling you that.

Bolding mine. SARs (Suspicious Activity Reports) are reported to the government, not to a database accessible to other banks or credit unions. Unless the order of magnitude is very large or you're getting lots of SARs, it's unlikely an SAR itself will result in any type of action from the government, in any event, certainly not from a bank. And getting an SAR just because you called up a bank and complained about their not taking your dollar coin deposit (if that's what you are saying) seems highly questionable.

For dollar coin (or other cash deposits) over $10K, the FI is required to file a CTR (Currency Transaction Report), which isn't a big deal and is unlikely to have a negative impact on you in itself. Unlike the SAR, the CTR isn't kept secret from you; in fact, you might even provide the information required for the bank or CU to complete the form. There are plenty of cash-oriented businesses making large cash deposits.

ETA: OP, perhaps your best bet is to open an account at another bank or CU, visit the branch and let the tellers and staff get to recognize you, deposit the dollar coins in smaller quantities and at times where business at the FI is slow. A combination of being polite, a familiar face, and not going overboard with dollar coin deposits might make your relationship with the FI a long-term one.

Makes me feel better about my decision to pass on the coin deal, getting a quick 2% return isn't worth losing the good name I have with my bank(s).

scrapycoco said: They refused them because they said " Very unusual to deposit few thousands of coins in a brand new account"..The "unusual" was the key word!
I tried to talk to their managers..but they really don't care.
The coins were rolled up..straight from US mint..nothing shady.
The bank is The bank of the West. They said they have no specific policy about coins, but they said
they can refuse any transaction they want.
The question remains: how can they not accept legal tender?..Just pisses me off!

The only time people are forced to accept legal tender is for debts. They have no legal obligation to accept deposits. If I were you, I'd find the nearest strip club and see how dollar coins work with the girls there.

I like your bank!

Can you give me the name, so I can open an account there to support their smart business decisions?

Hi FW Fiance! Can you help me with a problem?

My local strip club won't take dollar coins. They insist I bring dollar bills. Anything I can do to retaliate????

scrapycoco said: They refused them because they said " Very unusual to deposit few thousands of coins in a brand new account"..The "unusual" was the key word!
I think brand new account might have made them extra careful (assuming all this is true).

scrapycoco said: So I walk into bank with a box of 1 dollar coins and wanted to deposit them into my account.

webster online

Main Entry: re·tal·i·ate
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈta-lē-ˌāt\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): re·tal·i·at·ed; re·tal·i·at·ing
Etymology: Late Latin retaliatus, past participle of retaliare, from Latin re- + talio legal retaliation
Date: 1611
transitive verb
: to repay (as an injury) in kind
intransitive verb
: to return like for like; especially : to get revenge

the solution is simple

don't talk to them anymore
don't do any business with them
tell all your friends that you hate them
and never, never set foot in the door over there

without scrapycoco --- their world will come to an end

EdMcK515 said: If I were you, I'd find the nearest strip club and see how dollar coins work with the girls there.Hard rain is falling.

OK It does not sound like the decision was made against you personally. If indeed the reason they declined the coins was that the transaction was "unusual" then they would deny the transaction for anyone who attempted such a transaction. So again the refusal was "unusual". They did not say you were "unusual." No implications that you were unworthy, worthless or a crud. No way are they rating you as rotten. Just your transaction was "unusual"
Re: Feeling pissed? Ask yourself Is it worth your time and energy to feel pissed?
Eventually you will likely deduce it's not worth it. The best you could hope to feel is appropriately annoyed.

Re: Getting even with them for causing you annoyance. Try opening as many checking accounts as you can at other branches with a payroll check. They are currently offering 100 bucks for each checking account with a 250 dollar deposit. Try to soak them for all you can with a smile on your very pleasant face. If you have trusted friends, trusted relatives, open them up in their names with your money or their money. Meet the minimum qualifications to make the 100 bucks per account. I have heard some banks let you open accounts without SS number. If so it may make it easier to open more than one. I would guess the 100 buck deal is only good for one address. But with the Friends and Family plan mentioned perhaps you can lesson your annoyance while making money.
Below is link to 100 bucks for 250 deposit. Perhaps the altruistic crowd here at fatwallet can also help you out by opening an account with minimum amounts.

https://www.bankofthewest.com/static_files/botw2/home/personal-banking/campaigns/checking-2010-jan/index.html

I did a search on ways to cost banks money. Here is one article

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_n2_v19/ai_19115340/?tag=content;col1

Good Luck

I'm with the op in my dislike for bank of the west. every time a problem comes up, they hide behind their jd p&a rating. i closed my account with them. u should just take your business elsewhere.

scrapycoco said: Anything I can do to retaliate considering that coins are legal tender and all and
they suppose to take them?
"Legal tender" only means that it cannot be refused in settlement of a debt, so no, they are not under any obligation to take them.

If you really want them to take your coins, run your account into the negatives and settle the debt.

Yeah that's smart. Pay overdraft fees to teach em a lesson!

As long as we're musing along these lines, I suppose if you have an attached credit card you could give yourself a cash advance deposit and then they'd have to accept the credit card "payment" of coins...because it's a debt.

Wanna get back at the bank? Get a deposit box at the bank and put a dead fish in there. Replace the fish every 3 months.

qcumber98 said: EdMcK515 said: If I were you, I'd find the nearest strip club and see how dollar coins work with the girls there.Hard rain is falling.

My new advice to those asking what to do with $X: Make it hail.

and then file an insurance claim@!

SUCKISSTAPLES said: and then file an insurance claim@!

And contact the health dept.

I say swim through the coins like Scrooge McDuck!

Hmmm. So a Zohan impersonator doesn't get the same respect as the real Zohan. Just be glad they didn't arrest you for identity theft.

Be glad all they did is close your account. Although for the record, no bank calls and asks you to come pick up your money. They mail a check.

On a side note, it could have been MUCH WORSE!!!!!!
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,293366.0.html

Skipping 14 Messages...
Open a credit card there. Use coins to pay that debt.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014