• 1 234515
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
From Bankdeals

Promo splash page

Fee Schedule

$150 Incentive for “New Clients”: Client receives $50 when they open a new SunTrust personal checking account from February 1, 2010 through April 30, 2010, enroll their new SunTrust personal checking account in the promotion via suntrust.com/solid, and make three bill payments through SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay within the next two calendar months out of the new personal checking account enrolled in the promotion. To receive the additional $100, the client must qualify for the $50 offer and must continue to make at least three payments each month for the next consecutive three months through SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay out of the same personal checking account enrolled in the promotion.

I opened the free checking, instant approval (with account numbers and login info) online. I'm in a State with Suntrust branches, but no indication of geographic restrictions.

The application looked like a softpull (with verification questions), but I didn't confirm before applying. Nothing is on my TU, and I haven't got a notification from citi id monitor yet for EQ or EX(though it usually takes a day or so).

Free Checking has pretty much no fees, but a $25 closing fee within 6 months. Also, a $20 account closure fee if you do it "by mail", so that might be tough for out of staters... but I don't see a problem with letting the account rot.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
just called to close my account after my account went to zero. but CS rep told me that it's now automatically pending f... (more)

monvivant (Oct. 13, 2010 @ 10:21a) |

Nope, that's what happened to me. I emptied my account (and then couldn't log in to check because of the $0 balance). Ab... (more)

brawa (Oct. 13, 2010 @ 10:59a) |

thanks for your reply now i need to close couple more accounts (from family members )

monvivant (Oct. 13, 2010 @ 12:15p) |

New SunTrust Checking Clients (Clients without a checking account on or before January 31, 2010)

* 1. Open a new SunTrust personal checking account.
* 2. Register your account at suntrust.com/solid by April 30, 2010
* 3. Pay 3 bills using SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay within 2 months of account

opening, earn $50.
* 4. Continue to pay 3 bills per month for 3 consecutive months, earn an additional $100

Existing SunTrust Checking Clients (Clients with an existing checking account on or before January 31, 2010)

* 1. Register your account at suntrust.com/solid by April 30, 2010
* 2. Sign up or sign on to SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay.
* 3. Pay 3 bills per month for 3 consecutive months, earn $100.

New Clients
Offer ends on 4/30/2010. Offer is limited to one account per client. Offer can change or be withdrawn at anytime. A "new client" is defined as a client that does not have an existing relationship with SunTrust or a current client that has an existing relationship, but does not have a SunTrust personal checking account as of January 31, 2010. The new client is not eligible for this offer if they were a signer on a SunTrust personal checking account that was closed on January 31, 2010 through the date of account opening.

$150 Incentive for "New Clients": Client receives $50 when they open a new SunTrust personal checking account from February 1, 2010 through April 30, 2010, enroll their new SunTrust personal checking account in the promotion via suntrust.com/solid, and make three bill payments through SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay within the next two calendar months out of the new personal checking account enrolled in the promotion. To receive the additional $100, the client must qualify for the $50 offer and must continue to make at least three payments each month for the next consecutive three months through SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay out of the same personal checking account enrolled in the promotion. When SunTrust determines that the client met all the terms of each section, SunTrust will direct deposit the appropriate amount into the primary SunTrust personal checking account enrolled in the promotion through suntrust.com/solid up to 10 weeks after the last bill payment was processed. Client bill payment status must show "Processed" to be eligible. The SunTrust personal checking account must be open and in good standing at the time the direct deposit is paid. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer valid for U.S. residents. Client must be 18 years or older to participate. SunTrust may report to the IRS the value of the incentive and any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the recipient.

SunTrust Routing Number: 061000104
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In New York State and received the following:

We are unable to complete your application at this time.
Please visit a branch or call us at 866.351.1084 for further assistance.
Error code 150

Update:

I just called the above number, set up the account and funded from a checking account ($25 minimum). I verified that NYS residents are eligible. I think I answered one of the Equifax questions wrong online that generated the above error..

Offer valid for U.S. residents. Client must be 18 years or older to participate

Now I just need to figure out which of my other 6 checking accounts I should close. I usually wait a year after getting the bonus before I think about closing the account. Give the illusion I will be a longtime customer.

I just applied from Minnesota and it set up the account without a problem.

I am a little confused by the "enroll their new SunTrust personal checking account in the promotion via suntrust.com/solid".

I signed up for the promotion through this link, so am I already enrolled?

Also, what constitutes an online payment? Can I write checks online to my spouse or do these need to be to some business? Couldn't I just automatically set up three recurring payment of $1 to my spouse and I would be all set to meet the obligations for this promotion? Or maybe a $1 to my wife and $1 to each of my two kids?

FlyingBoat said: I am a little confused by the "enroll their new SunTrust personal checking account in the promotion via suntrust.com/solid".

I signed up for the promotion through this link, so am I already enrolled?

Also, what constitutes an online payment? Can I write checks online to my spouse or do these need to be to some business? Couldn't I just automatically set up three recurring payment of $1 to my spouse and I would be all set to meet the obligations for this promotion? Or maybe a $1 to my wife and $1 to each of my two kids?

I think you need to go through that "solid" link after you set up your account. It gives you a little checklist of things you need to do to achieve terms... a nice feature.

The billpay app seems pretty standard (in fact it looks like the same vendor as PNC). My guess you can add anything you like in there... but I just plan on making multiple small payments to a couple credit card... easy peasy.

Here is suntrust's branch footprint. I'd say in MN qualified, it's a nationwide promo. NY guy, maybe you missed something on the credit verification, or your address doesn't verify with USPS (like my old NY 911 address)

NY guy, maybe you missed something on the credit verification, or your address doesn't verify with USPS

Yep, you nailed it.

Suntrust hard-pulls Equifax.

Update: looks like that have just replaced it with a soft pull, as of December.
I've received a $50 bonus from them 2-3 years ago with no problem.

ivanivanix said: Suntrust hard-pulls Equifax

Got error code 150 after answering verification questions (correctly). Called number listed on the error page to complete application. CSR stated that there was NO hard pull in this application process. Application successfully completed over the phone by CSR in about 3 minutes.

so what are the gotchas?

My biggest question is - how does one do 3 bill pay things without having any bills to pay?

flyingboat's got an idea for u: "..I just automatically set up three recurring payment of $1 to my spouse and I would be all set to meet the obligations "

wilkinru said: My biggest question is - how does one do 3 bill pay things without having any bills to pay?

wilkinru said: My biggest question is - how does one do 3 bill pay things without having any bills to pay?

I'll send you a bill to pay, fair enough?

ahh, understood, off to sign up

Can you close the account once you get the bonus and do they charge you any fees to close the account?

make sure u register
Disclaimer
opening the checking account alone does not automatically enroll you to the $150 bonus. make sure you register afterward, or you won't get the bonuses. Thanks OP.

from OP "..Free Checking has pretty much no fees, but a $25 closing fee within 6 months. Also, a $20 account closure fee if you do it "by mail", so that might be tough for out of staters... but I don't see a problem with letting the account rot."

lowfoo said: Can you close the account once you get the bonus and do they charge you any fees to close the account?

$300 for us, may be 240 after tax, not bad. Just have to play with it for next 3-4 months.

Thanks OP.

joeuhc said: In New York State and received the following:

We are unable to complete your application at this time.
Please visit a branch or call us at 866.351.1084 for further assistance.
Error code 150

Update:

I just called the above number, set up the account and funded from a checking account ($25 minimum). I verified that NYS residents are eligible. I think I answered one of the Equifax questions wrong online that generated the above error..

Offer valid for U.S. residents. Client must be 18 years or older to participate

Now I just need to figure out which of my other 6 checking accounts I should close. I usually wait a year after getting the bonus before I think about closing the account. Give the illusion I will be a longtime customer.
My online application required a minimum funding of $100.

Thanks OP.

Any exp of how likely to get the bonus..suntrust reputation is not that great in terms of paying out bonuses..do a google search and you will know..

Please post if you ever got your past bonuses from this bank...

mail4calvin said: opening the checking account alone does not automatically enroll you to the $150 bonus. make sure you register afterward, or you won't get the bonuses. Thanks OP.

Thanks Calvin. I'm usually really good about these things, but I actually would've missed that if you hadn't pointed that out.

Did a google search, and I don't know.

After using a multi-variate regression with a kurtosis skew analysis, I then consulted an astrologist, a Cherokee tracker, and a fetal alcohol prescient born with a caul over his face... the results... the liklihood of getting the bonus is an odds ratio of 3.2819 out of 5.28118181818

Thanks for the heads up... the $20 fee by cancellation by mail may be a deal-breaker for me. I've had a tough time canceling previous bank accounts by mail (no branches in my area)...for FREE let alone tacking on a $20 fee.

Otherwise, I'd be all over this...

Required $100 minimum to open account for me. Thanks OP!

Mikawl said: Thanks for the heads up... the $20 fee by cancellation by mail may be a deal-breaker for me. I've had a tough time canceling previous bank accounts by mail (no branches in my area)...for FREE let alone tacking on a $20 fee.

Can't you just cancel over the phone?

kevinjjc said: Mikawl said: Thanks for the heads up... the $20 fee by cancellation by mail may be a deal-breaker for me. I've had a tough time canceling previous bank accounts by mail (no branches in my area)...for FREE let alone tacking on a $20 fee.

Can't you just cancel over the phone?

Some banks make you show up in branch or mail in your cancellation and NOT over the phone. Strange but true.

mail4calvin said: opening the checking account alone does not automatically enroll you to the $150 bonus. make sure you register afterward, or you won't get the bonuses. Thanks OP.

Specifically register the bill pay section and then you get an email with the pic calvin provided.

How long between bonuses? I opened a Suntrust over a year ago and for a promo and closed it several months ago. Was hoping I could do this one too.

Approved for two accounts using NY address - no issues.

Enrolled in online banking and regsitered for the promotion.

I am hoping to setup all 9 payments at once.

Candidate needs to be the US citizen to open the account online.

$100 for existing customers who have not paid bills from their Online Bill Pay since Dec 1, 2009. I am in. Thanx OP.

gwu1986 said: .......My online application required a minimum funding of $100.
For those that said that their min. funding is $100: I looked at the fee schedule; and there are serveral checking a/c. Those that require $100 opening deposit also charges a monthly maintenance fee unless they meet the min. balance requirement of thousands of dollars.

There is a Free checking a/c that requires NO minimum opening deposit and no monthly fee.

So, you should double check which checking a/c you have signed up for.

fat9wallet said: gwu1986 said: .......My online application required a minimum funding of $100.
For those that said that their min. funding is $100: I looked at the fee schedule; and there are serveral checking a/c. Those that require $100 opening deposit also charges a monthly maintenance fee unless they meet the min. balance requirement of thousands of dollars.

There is a Free checking a/c that requires NO minimum opening deposit and no monthly fee.

Even on trying FREE checking that supposedly has no min funding, on acct opening seems to want min $100 funding....

Hope it is not opening other type of acct though it does say free checking.... keeping all screenshots ...

There are 2 charges on the Fee schedule that I don't understand -- both on pg. 3:

1. Screen print statement $5/statement [on the left-hand column]

2. What is the difference between Online Banking (free) and PC Banking ($6-10/mo.)?

TIA

No credit card you can send 3 $5 payments to. Or utility or phone bills you can do the same with?

invisible said: fat9wallet said: gwu1986 said: .......My online application required a minimum funding of $100.For those that said that their min. funding is $100: I looked at the fee schedule; and there are serveral checking a/c. Those that require $100 opening deposit also charges a monthly maintenance fee unless they meet the min. balance requirement of thousands of dollars.

Even on trying FREE checking that supposedly has no min funding, on acct opening seems to want min $100 funding....

Hope it is not opening other type of acct though it does say free checking.... keeping all screenshots ...
Yes, I clicked the ? button when funding the free checking account, and the minimum funding was $100 when transferring the initial deposit from another bank.

My initial comment was regarding the poster who was able to open the account by phone when his online application failed, and funded with $25.

chose Free Checking
Disclaimer

no maintenance fee
Disclaimer
Good idea! Invisible. i'm emailing myself this for evidence just in case maintenance fee start popping up 2 months from now... (i was also asked for $100 min. on free checking)

invisible said: ...

this is a terrible everyday bank, they never wave fees, are totally overpriced for everything, however they do pay their bonuses.

I called and the rep over the phone told me that all accounts opened online, regardless of the type, require at least $100 to open. After this, there is no minimum balance required. He also verified that I was indeed enrolled in Free Checking.

They really should make this clear on their site, as I was freaking out for a min. there.

Skipping 524 Messages...
thanks for your reply now i need to close couple more accounts (from family members )

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014