• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I got a snail mail and email from Capital One, who bought out Chevy Chase bank, a mostly DC-area bank, with a pretty good offer. All you have to do is open a Completely Free Checking Account at Chevy Chase Bank and have a DD within 90 days, and you'll get $200.

The offer states that it is for Capital One cardholders. You can open up an account online using promotion code 002101. People are reporting that this offer is targeted, and only open to people in the greater DC area (MD/VA/DC/DE/PA/WV).

Here's the text of the email:

Chevy Chase Bank said: As you may already know, Capital One Bank® and Chevy Chase Bank have merged with the goal of building the strongest local bank in Greater Washington, D.C.

We wanted to let you know about an exclusive offer just for Capital One cardholders. When you open a Completely Free Checking account from Chevy Chase Bank and use direct deposit, we’ll give you $200.

With Completely Free Checking, you’ll get

• $200 for using direct deposit
• No monthly maintenance or activity fees
• No minimum monthly balance requirement
• The most locations in Greater Washington, D.C.

To open your account, just bring this e-mail to a Chevy Chase Bank branch near you. You can also visit us online or call (301) 987-BANK (2265) and use package code 002101.

$25 minimum opening deposit required for Chevy Chase Bank Completely Free Checking. Customer purchases checks. Bank rules and regulations apply. Ask us for details. Limit one personal Chevy Chase Bank Completely Free Checking account per customer.

The Chevy Chase Bank, a division of Capital One, N.A payroll/direct deposit promotion begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on February 9, 2010 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on March 30, 2010. The promotion is available to new bank checking customers only. To qualify, direct deposit must be set up on a recurring basis and is subject to your employer or other payor offering the direct deposit option. A payroll/direct deposit transaction must post to your account within 90 days of account opening. Tax refunds are not considered an eligible direct deposit to receive this incentive. You will receive a $200 credit to your checking account shortly after the first recurring payroll/direct deposit transaction is posted to your account. This offer cannot be combined with any other Chevy Chase Bank new account opening offer. This offer is strictly non-transferable. Limit one payroll/ direct deposit incentive offer per customer.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is very interesting. I thought that this offer was supposed to be expired as of the end of March. Did you get a let... (more)

JeebusSaves (Apr. 28, 2010 @ 7:49p) |

I did not receive a letter/invitation. I learned about the offer from this post.

fluschott (Apr. 28, 2010 @ 10:43p) |

I received the letter from Chevy Chase early this year. I signed up online, did not see the promotional code box, compl... (more)

NotQuite (Jun. 16, 2010 @ 9:21a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

When you proceed with the application, you can only select the following states from a drop-down menu:
Delaware
D.C.
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Virgina
W.V.

Got denied for online application. Possibly answered one of the two identity questions wrong, but I doubt it.

Anyway, good deal for those who are eligible. Not sure if I want to call them and see about setting up account...

johnnybs said: Got denied for online application. Possibly answered one of the two identity questions wrong, but I doubt it.

Anyway, good deal for those who are eligible. Not sure if I want to call them and see about setting up account...

I got declined too

Weird. It worked for me. Has anyone who got denied called in to find out why?

JeebusSaves said: Weird. It worked for me. Has anyone who got denied called in to find out why?
Just called and the CSR knows very well about this. She told me that I has to get the letter to be eligible
for the bonus. I did not reapply

Took advantage of this same offer @ NYC branches when they offered it. I happened to have a Capital One credit card at the time but I just brought in the printout from the internet at the time and the lady processed the account successfully. I wound up going back a 2nd time to the branch to open a 1.55% APY Simple Savings Account with no minimums.

Capital One is biting hard to gain marketshare and Chevy Chase was its latest acquisition.

I wonder if another acquisition will happen in the coming months. The Chevy Chase migration will take a long time to complete.

Capital One still has issues with its banking systems between North Fork, Hibernia and Chevy Chase regions unfortunately.

When I was a kid I once went inside a North Fork Bank Data center in Long Island I believe it was at the time for an interview I believe it was. From what I remember I did not like the personnel nor the way the data center was designed. As of late Capital One has made improvements to the website but I still think they can do better.

I use Capital One myself for Bonuses and for a high rate of return, but I don't use them because they have the best systems on the planet or are the best bank in the world because they aren't.

Some of you might want to look at the thread on the Chevy Chase Bank free vacation offer.

Here several of us posted our experiences. In essence, it was hard to get this offer delivered on (and their deadlines were not met), and the free hotel stay proved to have numerous undisclosed conditions ($50 reservation fee, reservations had to be made before 60 days or there was a fee). However, an attempt to make summer reservations was rejected as too early. several destinations (notably Atlantic City and the Berkshires of Mass. that were listed now appear to be unavailable. Even after they have the $50 fee they still cannot tell me what hotels are used, or even assure me of which cities may be available. Two friends or relatives cannot request reservations for same date (relevant if you tried to take advantage of the offer to refer a friend and suggested that the two families might go to the same destination at the same time, or if you and a wife are entitled to stays you cannot request that you get two rooms for the same dates near each other), if you have two certificates they must be used for different cities. Although it is clear that you will be offered a chance for a time share presentation, (which is how they probably got a good rate), they still have not disclosed this. The phone number on the forms sent you is now no longer working (and the web site is for sale). The whole experience left a bad taste.

Of course, an implication may be to cancel any accounts you have now so as to be able to take advantage of this offer.

I went in to a branch with my snail mail letter, signed up for an account on 2/3/10, had my Alliant account send trial deposits on 2/5/10, and the $200 bonus was credited to my account on 2/8/10. No direct deposit was set up--I'm assuming the $0.62 cent trial deposit counted as DD.

Got "We have received your application and are currently reviewing it. We will contact you with a decision via email."

dacii said: Got "We have received your application and are currently reviewing it. We will contact you with a decision via email."
Did you get the snail mail? Thanks

Just checked the app status online (no email access) and I'm approved. No, I didn't get the snail mail offer but does live in one of the eligible states.

dacii said: Just checked the app status online (no email access) and I'm approved. No, I didn't get the snail mail offer but does live in one of the eligible states.

Are you a Capital One cardholder?

Yes, I have a Capital One cc, but have never received any banking solicitations from them.

I just got online access to my account. The bonus posted to the account the day after it was funded (about a week ago). I funded the account through ACH from another account (i.e., put in my account information during the Chevy Chase Bank signup process) but had no other DD since then. The trial deposits from Incrediblebank still haven't even posted. So I don't think they're out to screw anyone with this bonus.

There is one possible plus for this bank (now owned by Capital One).

Capital One Direct (legally separate) is listed on the high yield thread and has a 1.45% saving account and a 1.1% rewards checking account (with a 2500 point opening bonus). According to a conversation with their online chat fellow (copied below)there appears no advantage of having a Capital one(ex-Chevy Chase) account now in terms of access. However, he indicates that after integrating the systems there will be immediate transfers possible. This could make an account here very desirable for those living near a branch.

In spite of my bad experience with their last promotion (and the fact that about 1975 Chevy Chase Bank effectively canceled my Chevy Chase credit card after I moved to Texas)this may be enough to suggest this bank for those in the area.

"Richard: Also, transfers to and from Chevy Chase will have the same time frame until our computer systems are fully integrated.

Richard: After they are fully integrated, all transfers with Chevy Chase will be instantaneous.

you: Any guess when that will be?

Richard: The only time frame I have heard so far is that we hope to have that done by late this year.

you: It seems like I could have an account with you, and then if need be transfer money to chevy Chase bank and make a withdrawal there is I needed to. Likewise, make deposits there and transfer to you?

Richard: Yes, you could certainly do that!

you: What documents do I need for you to open this?

Richard: After you open your account, we will send you a welcome packet which you will receive within 10 business days. Included in this will be a form for you to sign and return.

Richard: The acceptance form is required, but will have no impact on your ability to open the account, deposit funds, or earn interest.

Richard: On the online application, we will ask for each owner's name, physical and mailing address, social security number, date of birth, driver's license number, and previous address if the time at your current address has been less than two years.

Richard: Would you like the link to get started on an application?

Richard: Did you have any other questions for me at this time?

you: Do I have to send lyou copies of driver's licenses, utility bills, etc.

Richard: Generally, we will not need those since our online application can usually verify the information that you enter.

Richard: An online application takes just 10-15 minutes to set up, and is generally approved right away. In rare cases, it can take up to 48 business hours.

R

Apparently I set up a couple of ACH links from other banks to Chevy Chase too prematurely, so the newly fangled Discover Bank couldn't make the two small trial deposits, yet managed to withdraw the sum of the two, resulting in a negative balance on my account, before it's even fully opened! (The old Discover Bank design through onlinebank.com MoneyHQ never tries to withdraw trial deposits.) I found this out by accident, as I was calling in to verify I was signed up for the promo. Cust service was very patient, and agreed to refund the NSF fee (allegedly only once every 12 months), but it's a little disconcerting that they allowed withdrawal but not deposits on a not yet fully opened account.

How long do we have to keep the direct deposit active?

dacii said: Apparently I set up a couple of ACH links from other banks to Chevy Chase too prematurely, so the newly fangled Discover Bank couldn't make the two small trial deposits, yet managed to withdraw the sum of the two, resulting in a negative balance on my account, before it's even fully opened! (The old Discover Bank design through onlinebank.com MoneyHQ never tries to withdraw trial deposits.) I found this out by accident, as I was calling in to verify I was signed up for the promo. Cust service was very patient, and agreed to refund the NSF fee (allegedly only once every 12 months), but it's a little disconcerting that they allowed withdrawal but not deposits on a not yet fully opened account.

I think I did the same thing with PNC reporting a failed trial deposit ('Chevy Chase FSB has indicated to us that the account you have provided is unable to accept transfers'). However no withdrawal appeared to happen - and surprisingly the original 'failed' trial deposits still posted and have yet to be withdrawn by PNC 3 weeks later. Meanwhile the $200 bonus was deposited a day after the failed (yet successful) trial deposits and no other account activity was required. Thanks OP!

The bonus posted already.

02/25/2010 PROMOTIONAL CREDIT $200.00 $224.26
02/25/2010 REFUND NSF FEE $35.00 $24.26
02/23/2010 CHEVY CHASE BANK NEWACCOUNT $25.00 ($10.74)
02/19/2010 NSF FEE - ITEM PAID $35.00 ($35.74)
02/19/2010 DFSBANK_TRANSFER TRIALDEBIT $0.74 ($0.74)

Thanks

Thanks for the update. So you had your direct deposit established and deposited already?

No, my DD won't hit until this Friday.

just signed up

seemed easy enough

Signed up and got bonus for my wife in a week's time.

It's been about a week for me... still waiting for the PIN to login to my online acct.

Did anyone get this deal without a capital one account?

Signed up.

I am an existing Chevy Chase customer, and I am a capital one credit card holder.

Thanks!

therivler1 said: Signed up.

I am an existing Chevy Chase customer, and I am a capital one credit card holder.

Thanks!

Does the Thanks mean you somehow got the bonus, or you were able to open a new checking account for the bonus, or something else?

Possibly you are sarcastic and complaining you did not benefit (i.e. perhaps some with inactive accounts should close them in the hope of getting such an offer in the future).

ProfessorEd said: therivler1 said: Signed up.

Thanks!

Does the Thanks mean you somehow got the bonus, or you were able to open a new checking account for the bonus, or something else?

Possibly you are sarcastic and complaining you did not benefit (i.e. perhaps some with inactive accounts should close them in the hope of getting such an offer in the future).

Strange response....but anyway, the thanks was to the OP for bringing this deal to light.

However, I am an existing Chevy Chase checking customer, and as such, am ineligible for the promotion.

Thanks for the clarification.

I had presumed the Thanks was to the bank and that possibly you were sarcastic (some people are unhappy that existing customers are treated worse than those who are new, or who are ex-customers coming back), or more optimistically you had benefited from the promotion in spite of already being a customer.

therivler1 said: ...However, I am an existing Chevy Chase checking customer, and as such, am ineligible for the promotion.

Being the good FWFer that I am, I trudged along anyway, wanting to see what would happen.

Lo an behold, after I pushed some money from one of my other bank accounts, a few days later this lovely line-item appeared:

PROMOTIONAL CREDIT $200.00

grex23 said: Took advantage of this same offer @ NYC branches when they offered it. I happened to have a Capital One credit card at the time but I just brought in the printout from the internet at the time and the lady processed the account successfully.

Just wanted to confirm that you DID have the credit card at the time? Or, you didn't and "just brought in the printout"??? Kinda unclear/hopeful the way the sentence is written, but probably not.

Thanks.

as others said, test deposits from main bank to Chevy got me the $200 bonus.

hm.. i wonder if i still need to do a recurring monthly deposit?

also, is there a way to change my PIN# online? if so, i couldnt find that info online.

*** PROMO STILL LIVE *** (April 2010)

Here's a timeline of the opening of my new Chevy Chase account. I have a Capital One credit card.
Summary: Started online application on Saturday, Received $200 opening bonus on Tuesday.

4/17-Sat - Completed new "Totally Free Checking" application online. Identity verification question: Mortgage Payment range. I am a Maryland Resident. Used $200 Bonus Promo code 002101
Provided Citibank ID/PW to validate account to ACH draw opening deposit from (alternative was to verify 2 small trial deposits & then those deposits get withdrawn from my Citi funding account).
Authorized $25 withdrawl from Citi.
New Chevy Chase Acct # and ABA Routing code was provided with details to mail/fax back Signature Card to complete process.
4/17-Sat Used ING Orange Bill Pay to make a person to person payment for $25 to new Chevy Chase Account (was hoping this counted as a Direct Deposit)
4/19-Mon $25 ING ACH Deposit posted - funds immediately available
4/20-Tue Faxed Signature Card to Chevy Chase
4/20-Tue $200 Promo Credit posts - funds immediately available
4/21-Wed $25 Citi ACH Deposit posted - funds on temporary hold?
4/22-Thu Received Chevy Chase Visa Check Card
4/24-Sat Received Welcome Letter w/sheet of temporary checks
4/26-Mon Received preassigned PIN with instructions on how to change through automated phone system.
4/26-Mon Signed up for Online Banking using check card # and PIN. Applied for online bill pay - processing. Option to register CC for rewards program - did not work.
4/27-Tue Bill Payment available through online banking.
4/30-Wed $25 opening deposit from Citi made available. A hold seemed a little ridiculous since they ACH'd the funds in 9 days ago.
4/30-I called customer service about the problem I had registering my check card for the Chevy Chase rewards program and they explained the CC rewards program is no longer offered for new accounts. The rep said they will soon be replacing all check cards with the Capital One Visa Check Card and it has its own rewards program. She could not give a date when this would happen.

This is very interesting. I thought that this offer was supposed to be expired as of the end of March. Did you get a letter or email with the offer?

I did not receive a letter/invitation. I learned about the offer from this post.

I received the letter from Chevy Chase early this year. I signed up online, did not see the promotional code box, completed the application, was accepted, set up direct deposit, and have had 3 months of direct deposit going into my new Chevy Chase account. I called customer service immediately after signing up to have them verify/update my account so that I would be able to take advantage of the $200 offer. They confirmed it was all "ok". I have still NOT received the $200. I have been on the phone the past two days trying to clear this up, but, it hasn't seemed to help.

According to the male on the phone yesterday, he was reading the notes "in my file" that mentioned what happened, and even the code # for the promotion. He said he had to "research it" and someone would call me back. Today, someone called me back and wanted me to "fax the letter" that I received with the promotion code. I told them I had recently moved, and did not keep the letter. I told them I had the code (which I found, thanks to this site!), but, she apparently wasn't listening and asked me to fax the letter two more times. Finally, she said she had to "research this" and someone would be calling me back.

If it is noted that I signed up under code "002101" in my file, what exactly needs to be "researched"?

-Not happy at all

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014