• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
TripleB may be starting this thread soon, so I'll go ahead and get started now

this thread is for discussing where you should go if you have nothing left but the price of a one way ticket to your final destination --- things to consider are government services available, weather, crime, assistance from the non-profit sector, ect.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Do you have any idea how many, myself included, moved in to Fl in the last 5 years?? 30k .. 40k leave a year ... in '05 ... (more)

owenscott (Apr. 11, 2010 @ 12:36p) |

Are you including the 700 people per day who leave via casket?

Florida is in decline. That won't change for years to com... (more)

ifyouhavetoask (Apr. 12, 2010 @ 5:40a) |

I always thought of Florida as the elephant grave yard where old people go to die. Also unemployment benefit sucks, saw ... (more)

RS4Rings (Apr. 12, 2010 @ 5:52a) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

People have come to the USA with no money and built up their fortunes. Ive heard it so many times it is not even funny.

This thread is ridiculous . People shouldn't be thinking like this and thinking they are broke and heading over to some place cause it is the best for those types of people.

People who are dead broke might as well enter homeless shelters or Salvation Army and other related non profit entities and those facilities exist throughout the nation.

There is no best or worst state for those who are dead broke. You can be broke in the wealthiest zipcode or the poorest.

California.

They will give you permanent, state funded disability if you have a runny nose

Best place to go when you are broke:

Dicks in Seattle and be the panhandler who asks Bill Gates for change just like on Charlie Rose in 60 minutes.

Watch '60 Minutes': Bill Gates from CNET TV:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/60-minutes-bill-gates/9742-1_53-50004778.html

Is this thread for fun and profit?

Don't move to Arizona, they are broke and their idea is to tax us more. They are implementing a 2% food tax on groceries to help them get more revenue. Every highway and intersection is equipped with red light and photo radars to catch you speeding. True you have to be served these tickets in mail but 30% of the tickets end up getting paid by individuals who don't know the law.

The cost of living is cheap in Arizona, but not to many jobs out here. Plus education is ranked near the bottom compared to the rest of the 50 states

bigdinkel said: Don't move to Arizona, they are broke and their idea is to tax us more. They are implementing a 2% food tax on groceries to help them get more revenue. Every highway and intersection is equipped with red light and photo radars to catch you speeding. True you have to be served these tickets in mail but 30% of the tickets end up getting paid by individuals who don't know the law.

The cost of living is cheap in Arizona, but not to many jobs out here. Plus education is ranked near the bottom compared to the rest of the 50 states

Plus they have speed trap cameras on the freeway....

Bill Gates gave me no tip when I delivered pizza to him. Kidding!

With all seriousness, this thread and the creation of this thread is just nonsense and demeaning to the cognitive abilities of a human being.

No person who is smart will ever even think like this inside their minds. Just won't happen. One should be looking forward to the best areas in the nation to live in, not the ones which are best and worst for those who are broke.

Lots of really nice places to live. Don't expect handouts and even when you get them they turn out to be nothing more than useless because they entrap you where you are.

People here remind me of that panhandler outside the window where Bill Gates is. Not because he doesn't care about the other person, but because he could be excelling himself at what he is passionate about instead of bugging other people for money. Yes that is right, Bill Gates's Charitable foundation has been trying to help the education system in this nation. I know I can't get in Bill Gates's head when that event happened, but I know what he was doing with his wife at the time since they were public and outspoken and when you see someone like that, it boggles the mind considering the level of resources available in society.

There are loads of places this person could be to learn and develop.

New York. You're eligible for full welfare benefits the moment you set foot in the state. Sure, the state budget is a mess, but those precious benefits are the one thing that havent been put on the table. We'll gladly tax every business out of business and force everyone with a positive net worth to move away, rather than take those well-earned benefits from those unfortunate poor people.

grex23 said: No person who is smart will ever even think like this inside their minds. Just won't happen. One should be looking forward to the best areas in the nation to live in, not the ones which are best and worst for those who are broke.Your idealistic view does not represent reality. What you say will never happen is in fact the reason NY's population hasnt decreased even more drastically - the influx of welfare chasers, who have no reason to come to the state other than to receive benefits, has partially offset all the prodictive wage earners who have been chased away.

germanpope said: TripleB may be starting this thread soon, so I'll go ahead and get started now

this thread is for discussing where you should go if you have nothing left but the price of a one way ticket to your final destination --- things to consider are government services available, weather, crime, assistance from the non-profit sector, ect.

Are you dead broke?

I am not broke, just not where I should be in life.

Really depressed right now. Got hurt myself and have been struggling, but this thread makes such even more depressing and I stand by what I said about me thinking it is inappropriate.

"No person who is smart will ever even think like this inside their minds. Just won't happen. One should be looking forward to the best areas in the nation to live in, not the ones which are best and worst for those who are broke.

Your idealistic view does not represent reality. What you say will never happen is in fact the reason NY's population hasnt decreased even more drastically - the influx of welfare chasers, who have no reason to come to the state other than to receive benefits, has partially offset all the prodictive wage earners who have been chased away."

If I think like that myself I would be living in a cardboard box somewhere. Not being in the right place, space and time dimension of the quantum universe.

Where I am right now I am not poor and we have a financial system in place with roughly 30 banks. And yet this place where I live is not where I want to live. Not about wealth generation but because of the caliber of the intellectual discourse around me.

Had I met the people I belong with I would be a very happy person right now and I tried to meet someone, but I'm still not sure of her status and I'm feeling sick and depressed and everytime there is a slightest hint of her presense even though I am feeling sick I jump at the chance, but alas everytime due to physical ailments and the fact that this person hasn't given me there specific location or contacted me, I haven't met and its been very depressing.

Since this is fatwallet let me tell you something:

Every human can and will have their own banker. Every human can and will build up their FICO score. A poor area will not have an established financial system in place around you and would be very undesirable to live in.

No one on here should have a bad FICO or debt. However my own personal issue is I need to meet the right people in life to be with their alliances, rather than being alone since without the right players you are sacramount to the whims of others around you and wind up getting the squeeze play.

Any Joe can get a credit card. Any Joe can get a job and build wealth. Any Joe can be Bernie Madoff and steal the fortunes of others so BE VERY COGNITIVELY AWARE that Sharks and daemons breed. Heed the warnings, play fairly and you will SUCCEED.

I use the Bill Gates Dick's story because it is a cheap eats place in Seattle Washington area which has health insurance benefits to all their employees and pays above minimum wage much like Bill Gates's dad is on the board of directors of Costco which has also treated workers well unlike that Superchain called WalMart.

See when Gates's went to Dick's, I wonder if that was a planned place and if he knew in advance the policies of the place he went to get food at. But that just is one store in the physical quantum world, and alas Bill Gates wasn't working when he was in there or meeting interesting people along the way.

I also wonder if the event was closed off to the regular people or if Gates was eating inside with others around him.

Had I met openly this person I wanted to meet, life would be much different for me, and it isn't hard to strike up conversations with people who you know have cognitively bright minds. My problem is the one person I wanted to meet Ive tried and failed to see in person.

Sometimes we are in the company of many humans and we need others around us, we can't shy away and we know that the world is large with lots of players. We don't live alone nor should.

Which state is best for rich people?

ifyouhavetoask said: California.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever BEEN to California? Our state is in a record deficit and all of the state's programs are suffering (and that's the GOOD news considering many more are just gone). CA doesn't even have a low-income insurance program for adults, let alone being able to get disability for "a runny nose". Seriously, unless you know what you're talking about, stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsensical posts and kindly STFU.

And to further why CA is the worst state for broke people.. all of our red-light cameras, pompous police officers who give ridiculous tickets for nothing (parking, moving violations, etc) at insane fees. Some of the highest sales and income taxes in the country. The fact that there are a bazillion homeless people here which not only makes panhandling harder, but the chances of getting shelter or other funded help that much harder.

bigdinkel said: Don't move, the government is broke and their idea is to tax us more. They are implementing more tax on everything to help them get more revenue. Many state intersections are equipped with red light and photo radars to catch you speeding. True you have to be served these tickets in mail and a lot of the tickets end up getting paid by individuals who don't know the law.

The cost of living is cheap in the US, but not too many jobs out here. Plus education is ranked near the bottom compared to the rest of the world

Fixed.

germanpope said: this thread is for discussing where you should go if you have nothing left but the price of a one way ticket to your final destination

Excuse me if Nicholas Cage flashed before my eyes as I read this.

germanpope said: TripleB may be starting this thread soon, so I'll go ahead and get started now

Green for the first line alone.

OP's home state, Hawaii.

No, his thread would have omitted the last word of your thread title.

ZenNUTS said: OP's home state, Hawaii.

this thread is not suppose to be an invitation

State of denial?

ardentazn said: bigdinkel said: Don't move to Arizona, they are broke and their idea is to tax us more. They are implementing a 2% food tax on groceries to help them get more revenue. Every highway and intersection is equipped with red light and photo radars to catch you speeding. True you have to be served these tickets in mail but 30% of the tickets end up getting paid by individuals who don't know the law.

Plus they have speed trap cameras on the freeway....

I noticed that during our christmas break. They had about 180 miles of speedtraps where they speed limit would all of a sudden drop by 20mph and a camera would be right there.

From what I read, though... Paying those speed trap camera fines is optional.

i understand the joshing intent here.

but in all seriousness, this is a question that some smart and unfortunate people will be asking, now and over the next few years. yes, being smart and unfortunate can sometimes go together.

i read last week in a news article from a reputable source that 1 out of 5 american men between the ages of 25 and 50 are unemployed. that's in the "official" figures. of course, the official figures don't capture reality too well, and the real figures of unemployment are higher.

my local area has one of the worst unemployment rates in the country, officially, and unofficially, it's totally horrifying. i know that a lot of you who live in lovely, well-off areas don't have any idea what it's like in some areas of the country. i'm not suggesting that you should care about this, or do anything about it (not that you could, anyway), but what i am suggesting is that the bell is tolling, and the bell is tolling for the whole country. even if your regional economies scrape along okay for the next couple of years, you could be faced with a lot of poor american "immigrants" who are going to flee the places where it's already become dire.

apparently, by this summer, nearly 25% (or something like that) of american homeowners are "under water" on their houses. most college graduates are not going to have jobs when they leave school. most unemployed people now are not going to become employed anytime soon. our economy is doing well to be not be doing worse - we are holding on tightly to the top of the cliff, and maybe we've found a crevice to wedge a foot into, but the air rescue helicopter is not coming - no rescue is coming.

i'm not being negative, i'm not thinking incorrectly, i'm not dwelling on the worst-case scenario, i'm not out to spoil the magic juju of anyone's "The Secret"-type prosperity incantations. i'm looking at things realistically.

therefore, it makes total sense for some people to try to figure out where it's easiest to be poor, especially before it hits them. being prepared, in the scout sense, is not just about being prepared to be well-off and fortunate. it's about preparing for anything life could bring, and life does have a way of shaking up people's lives without much warning.

i just read this article (below) in Time about how many americans are homeless and are living in their cars/vans. apparently 50% of homeless people who live in their vehicles actually have jobs, but still can't afford shelter.

while reading that article, one thing that made me think of this post here was the great idea of one of the car-dwelling homeless ladies it features -- she parks her car in the parking lot of a gym, and apparently has a gym membership, so every day she can take a shower and work out in the gym - free hot water, free towels, shelter from the sun and heat. she's getting healthier by doing the exercise, and it must be a relief to hang out somewhere safe and where she can do something positive with her time.

gosh, can you imagine being a responsible older lady, not at all crazy or drug-addled, living all by herself in a car in a big city? so vulnerable, so visible all the time. just a bit of windshield glass separating her from any number of weird, violent people looking for victims.

in comparison to the rest of the world, our society is very tough and harsh, especially on people who run into hard times. the paucity of our safety nets propels many of us to become warriors and competitors, and fuels performance, growth, ambition, greed, and accumulation, but the downside is that the weak are forgotten, stepped on, blamed for their situation, shunned.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1963454,00.html?xid=rss-mostpopular

germanpope, i guess the high airfare to hawaii and the great distance from the mainland will protect you from hordes of poverty tourists! (no chance of us all driving our beater vehicles out there from the rust belt, ha.)

but the universal healthcare in hawaii (which jon stewart of the daily show has focused on so much this week, because of the recent republican convention there), the weather, the lush landscape, the rich culture, the bounteous tropical fare (macadamia nuts, yum!), and the fit surfer boys do make it sound like a paradise.

how is the public parking? what do used VW vans go for? are gym memberships expensive? hmm...

though there are lots of scary lizards and things that crawl in and run around, aren't there? ooh, i don't know.

fortunately, it is cost prohibitive for a family to afford tickets to Hawaii to leave the dustbowl for Hawaii

but, single young people have done it --- this goes back decades ago when there were ski bums heading for the slopes in the west and surf bums heading for Hawaii --- kind of a hippie thing

if someone wants to try this venture, they need to keep in mind that a good part of Oahu is a very well-established suburban metropolis --- if you know your way around, you are young, and got some social skills --- you could land with nothing and build something from nothing --- in the end you got to already have some aloha, be open-minded to other cultures, and stay out of dangerous place --- and if local culture is not a good fit for you, don't bother to get on the plane --- because you are not going to fix things to fit your world view

Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws in the country so you know crime must be low.

I've posted the link to this blog before: http://freesleeping.blogspot.com/

Basically, if you had no money, but had a car, I would pick a place where weather is not an issue, discount stores and cheap groceries were plentiful, and there was adequate open space to camp out and/or deserted neighborhoods to park. Basically, that is Southern California - the aforementioned blog writer's home base is suburban San Diego, where he camps on a hilltop a 15 minute walk from the end of the Santee Trolley line.

I thought HI for a while too.. Live on the beach year round (hey, some do) - lots of wealthy tourists to beg for money.
Two problems:
1) Getting over there.
2) Parts of the indigenous ethnic population - I was told to stay away from certain beaches as many native Hawaiians were not crazy about white Americans. I can't imagine why they'd feel that way?!

Not Texas.
Austin (the most liberal city in TX) has started writing traffic tickets to our bums that step into traffic to pickup $1. They have to panhandle from the sidewalk or median now, which is somewhat limiting.

Heat is unbearable and may kill you.

Lots of blue collar people out of a job, so there is a lot of resentment for anyone that might be illegal and for those that are out pan-handling.

I dunno.. I think if you're poor, you gotta ask the poor people. Missisppi? Get on the govt payroll and get yourself a run-down house that attracts hurricanes.

The state of Alaska pays the best, but who can live there?

dcg9381 said:
The state of Alaska pays the best, but who can live there?

Last we have heard, TripleB does.

dcg9381 said: I thought HI for a while too.. Live on the beach year round (hey, some do) - lots of wealthy tourists to beg for money.
Two problems:
1) Getting over there.
2) The indigenous ethnic population (many are poor and will be hanging at the same beaches) generally dislike the white American....

by your comment dcg9381, you are correct --- Hawaii is not for you

but I was under the impression that most FW participants were asians

as far as risk, the worry would be more along the lines of are you encountering a meth user or someone who is crazy

the ethnic part is the last thing I am considering when I am sizing up risk

cajundavid said: State of denial?

Definitely - this counts for both best and worst state for those dead broke.

green14 said: ifyouhavetoask said: California.

Are you kidding me? Have you ever BEEN to California? Our state is in a record deficit and all of the state's programs are suffering (and that's the GOOD news considering many more are just gone). CA doesn't even have a low-income insurance program for adults, let alone being able to get disability for "a runny nose". Seriously, unless you know what you're talking about, stop wasting everyone's time with your nonsensical posts and kindly STFU.

And to further why CA is the worst state for broke people.. all of our red-light cameras, pompous police officers who give ridiculous tickets for nothing (parking, moving violations, etc) at insane fees. Some of the highest sales and income taxes in the country. The fact that there are a bazillion homeless people here which not only makes panhandling harder, but the chances of getting shelter or other funded help that much harder.

I believe green pictured the [profane] city of San Francisco, right?

germanpope said:
as far as risk, the worry would be more along the lines of are you encountering a meth user or someone who is crazy
the ethnic part is the last thing I am considering when I am sizing up risk

I live in TX. We have a decent amount of meth use in the underemployed suburbs. Actually, my "retirement" community had it's first drug bust in like 30 years. Yep, meth.

As we're talking about being homeless here, I'm not worried about the drug users. I have no money, no reason to mess with me.

Unfortunately, racial hatred will still apply.

We have a resident transexual in Austin, Leslie. He's fairly well known across Texas. He's also likely mentally ill and/or chooses to be homeless. He was seriously assaulted recently, probably due to a gender-identity bias.. Some people just don't like hippie old dudes in thongs... I believe he was beaten into a coma that lasted several days.

So yea, I gotta stay with my fear of racism or other form of prejudice.. I'm not worried about crazy, crazy doesn't discriminate.

On second though, I'm going homeless the Republic of Texas way. Buy a few acres, setup a cement compound and mount a few .50cals. The federal government can come get me. Wait.. Wait.. I've read how that ends.. Nevermind, that's out too.

I think that in addition to focusing on the state to live in you should also focus on the city/town. Many places I have lived have had a high crime rate. The number and seriousness of crimes is always higher in the poorer areas. Places like Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, DC, would be unacceptable areas to live if I was poor just because of the risk of crime. When I have visted Seattle and Vancouver I got this weird feeling like no one will ever try to hurt me. I have visited some small towns where people openly tell me they don't lock their houses and cars. They look at me like I am a criminal when I ask "is it dangerous?". So I think there are places you can live even as a poor person and feel safe.
Another factor is your ability to get a job in that city. Some areas still have unemployment rates around 5% while others are well north of 20%.

NantucketSunrise said: gosh, can you imagine being a responsible older lady, not at all crazy or drug-addled, living all by herself in a car in a big city? so vulnerable, so visible all the time. just a bit of windshield glass separating her from any number of weird, violent people looking for victims.
Living in a car is not the worst way to be. I saw an article in the NY times during the last downturn that talked about living in a car. This might have been it: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/02/us/02cars.html One option I have heard of is sleeping in 24 hour grocery store parking lots which were well lit and had activity all night plus restrooms. I think the biggest problem is back pain/injury since you cannot lie down completely to sleep. Don't get me wrong, I don't think living in your car is good, but it helps you stay a functioning memeber of society longer than if you were straight up homeless.
Recently I was stuck on the road in a snow storm and had to sleep in my car. At first I was nervous having always heard that you should never do this. But not having any other options I went ahead. Obviously the risk of attack in a snow storm is less, but in the end sleeping in my car wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. Also I had the benefit of lots of people sleeping in their cars near me.
There are dangerous big cities and dangerous small cities/towns as well as safe big cities, so don't go stereotyping all big cities as dangerous. Also I hate to nitpick, but my windshield is the strongest glass on the car. Still, my other car windows are comperable to my house windows and glass sliding door--I am not more protected at my house than I am in my car.

If you are wealthy,the best place is Florida...The Conservative Governor and Legislature do not feel the wealthy
should pay taxes, thus: no state income tax, only 86 dollar license fee for your 911 Porsche, lots of highly skilled
cosmetic surgeons, discounted government run home owners insurance (Citizens Insurance) and everyone gets
Homestead
exemption for their homes to cut property taxes on your estate.
On the other hand, the poor get $80 a week under unemployment benefits and wages if you can find a job are
well under ten dollars an hour. 30,000 people each year leave Florida because they cannnot earn a living here.

belgique said: If you are wealthy,the best place is Florida...The Conservative Governor and Legislature do not feel the wealthy
should pay taxes, thus: no state income tax...
On the other hand, the poor get $80 a week under unemployment benefits and wages if you can find a job are
well under ten dollars an hour. 30,000 people each year leave Florida because they cannnot earn a living here.

Take a look at the other end of the spectrum - California - with the highest state income tax and most generous welfare programs in the country. Which state is currently better off?

Yeah, all we provide is nutrition/food, health care, and preschool for every kid in the state, food stamps for 1 out of 8 people, free unlimited mental health services, traditional welfare, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's not fun being poor - but to cast California as a stingy place is ridiculous.

Somehow your first paragraph contradicts your second.

You claim that taxes are through the nose and the roof. That means something is happening to those taxes. What is happening to those taxes? Are they magically being put into some metal jars and shipped to Nigeria?

I would say San Francisco is good. They have foundations and charities that pay the loitering tickets that are issued to homeless people.

People move from all over the country to Minnesota for the public assistance. Even Keillor agrees the benefits are above average.

Even more scary... why is Keillor in my spell check?

California - especially San Francisco. Every day is like Christmas, courtesy of the taxpayer's dime/all of the creditors and bondholders.

Don't get me wrong, not opposed to helping people truly in need. However they do need to reform the system to demand more accountability - or the impending fiscal meltdown will do it for them.

Skipping 40 Messages...
I always thought of Florida as the elephant grave yard where old people go to die. Also unemployment benefit sucks, saw it was $257 max while I'm getting $678 in MA. Before my conversion I wanted to leave MA, Now I find it's good to live in an entitlement state.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014