• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Recently, I have decided to go back to school after a few years of working (and also selling on eBay). I am applying for a graduate school. Should I put eBay PowerSeller as one of my achievements. I'm not so sure it's a thing to honor about.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I don't remember anyone interrupting any of our classes in community college or state college. Then again, I didn't go ... (more)

riznick (Feb. 24, 2010 @ 1:47a) |

I'm gonna add power bottom to mine

bigcat007 (Feb. 24, 2010 @ 5:03p) |

I went to a party college and a good majority of them acted very immature. However, I also felt that professors not show... (more)

bigdinkel (Feb. 24, 2010 @ 6:09p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No.

The only way I would say it might make sense is if you are applying to a business school program that focuses on entrepreneurship or the like.

If you have absolutely nothing else to put...

Depends if it were a legitimate business and run as such. Then you could put that you owned and operated a high volume business. I wouldn't say on eBay though unless specifically asked.

I definitely would. You should also inform prospective employers that you are able to consistently rescue the Princess in Super Mario Bros 1 for NES. Don't be surprised if they raise their job offer after seeing these qualifications.

unless you are applying for some sales position where that would be relevant, leave it off

Yes, along with FWF Member.

Well, if eBay PowerSeller has made a difference for at least 20% of the sellers, I would say, put it on the resume.

But I kind of doubt.

Depends on how much volume you actually do... how much feedback do you have?

Probably not.

Probably not.

Be sure to flash your stainless steel Power Seller business card holder. People like flashy stuff.

why not? I have my certificate framed next to my Phoenix Degree.

Make sure to mention all your foursquare badges as well.

Yes, if the job requires the ability of over promise and under deliver.

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said: why not? I have my certificate framed next to my Phoenix Degree.I used to work with someone who had a Master's from University of Phoenix. This person was a total idiot, but had no idea. One day we were in a meeting with reps from another company... and they ask about our education background. I told them I was in law school and where... and this person said they had a Master's from University of Phoenix.

the lady looks very seriously across the table and said, "you shouldn't tell people you have a master's degree if all you have is some degree from the internet... they put people in jail for that you know."

All I know is that after my neighborhood nominated me as "Garage-saler of the month" the job offers have been rolling in non-stop

Given all the snide comments above, I would guess that you better not. Your resume will probably be run by folks with similar mindsets, before it gets to the professor segment of the admissions panel.

I personally don't think that being an eBay powerseller says anything bad about you, and in fact, I think it says some good things about you.

But then, I've sold about 1000 items on Amazon while maintaining a 5-star rating and a 100% positive record of customer feedback, and I know it's not a mere doddle to do this kind of job very, very well.

If you are applying to business school, I would say why not put it on there. I have an MBA myself from what is billed as a top school. However, I'm not the typical MBA grad with tunnel vision and the like, so you should discount my views accordingly.

If you are applying to any other type of graduate program, I would say not to put it on there, because they don't actually want business-savvy folks (it seems) (and I say that as someone who applied to research-based PhD programs and got a scholarship at what is thought to be a good one.)

I think it also depends on what you sold, and what kind of feedback you got.

The entrepreneurial spirit counts for a lot these days.

Instead of asking folks here, I would casually ask some people who are affiliated with the program you want to apply to (not the admissions office, though, and not anyone likely to be in competition with you for a place there.)

Also mention that you attended FlatWallet University and received your PhD at SlickFeals Collage. LOL!

My brother plays guitar. I put that on my resume.

Since I gave a snide response above, I will give an honest answer.

I think it can somewhat help you if put in the right area. It would need to be in the "Job History" area of your resume for a period of time where you weren't employed. It is better than having no work for a period of time. You could put that you were running your own "self employed" successful online business and mention that you were an eBay powerseller as part of your line items for that business. I was a powerseller and know it is a lot of work. I don't know if most people know what it takes to be a powerseller, and might undervalue it. This is why it is crucial that it be part of a line item of a job in your job history.

Example.

2004-2006 Self Employed
Ran online business selling products...blah blah blah
Managed all aspects of business: purchasing from distributors, customer service, accounting... blah blah blah
Integrated online business with eBay and became an eBay powerseller

NantucketSunrise said: The entrepreneurial spirit counts for a lot these days.

Instead of asking folks here, I would casually ask some people who are affiliated with the program you want to apply to (not the admissions office, though, and not anyone likely to be in competition with you for a place there.)

I've always wondered about that.

An entrepreneur might be eager to learn from my business and eventually start their own competing against me.

I've also noticed that some companies survive hardships simply because they have hard workers with low self esteem. This is especially true when times get tough as when raises don't happen or there are paycuts, the entrepreneurs will leave quickly.

I don't know how I would answer: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

If you decide to include it make sure you declared your eBay business on your tax return. During a background check they may ask for your tax return to document the business (they won't be able to do the normal employer checks since you were self employed).

I have a friend who listed his computer consulting activities on his resume. The consulting was a part time, cash under the table gig while he was in college. The first job offer out of college that he got was contingent on producing tax returns to prove that part of his employment history. Since he couldn't document it, they rescinded their offer. At the same time he also had another part time job from a major company that could be verified.

He likely would have gotten the job offer anyway if he hadn't listed the consulting, but since he did they wanted documentation that it was a legitimate enterprise via his tax returns. By not paying taxes on it, they viewed it as a mark against his character.

Add that you have a Visa Black Card on your resume too.

how much did you sell on eBay? if you sold a serious amount i would definitely consider listing it

I agree that it could help fill a gap, if you're running low on content. I'd likely file it in the "Other" category at the bottom of the resume, though. Items of interest that you should summarize creatively (one, perhaps, two lines max):

Total sales
An idea of the cost of items (90% over $60?)
Profit margins on sales
Were these pieces of junk off the street, or did you have any specific attachment to these items that led you to market them?

Another approach would be to take the most interesting thing about your experience and include just that in your resume.

I could see this perking someone's interest, possibly to the extent that they might call you for an interview to discuss further.

But to be honest, I wouldn't entirely discount the popular opinion on this subject prior to making your decision. Sometimes, perception is the true reality.

I think it depends on whether this this was a serious business or a hobby, and where you are in your career. During undergrad I had an online sales business, mostly on eBay. It was official, I paid taxes, etc. When applying to grad schools I put something to the effect of what riznick said. I went on 7 interviews and I was shocked that it was brought up at every one. The interviewers absolutely loved it, it set me apart and gave them another reason to remember me. It was just an addition to an excellent application though, so I'm not sure if it would have been a boost to a weak applicant.

brettdoyle said: I definitely would. You should also inform prospective employers that you are able to consistently rescue the Princess in Super Mario Bros 1 for NES. Don't be surprised if they raise their job offer after seeing these qualifications.
Sorry, the job offer is in another castle.

Why in the world would you list it as an achievement? As job history, under "self-employed", maybe (esp if you properly claimed the business income on your taxes....). But as an achievement???

I'm not an eBay powerseller but I did say at a Holiday Inn Express last night

civ2k1 said: I have a friend who listed his computer consulting activities on his resume...The first job offer out of college that he got was contingent on producing tax returns to prove that part of his employment history.Wow - never heard of such a thing. I think I would have produced a list of references for whom I had done work for and tell them the tax returns were none of their business.

I would add that you won your fantasy football league too

Crazytree said: STEALfromCAGgive2FW said: why not? I have my certificate framed next to my Phoenix Degree.I used to work with someone who had a Master's from University of Phoenix. This person was a total idiot, but had no idea. One day we were in a meeting with reps from another company... and they ask about our education background. I told them I was in law school and where... and this person said they had a Master's from University of Phoenix.

the lady looks very seriously across the table and said, "you shouldn't tell people you have a master's degree if all you have is some degree from the internet... they put people in jail for that you know."

I got my MBA from UOP. There was a UOP campus right up the street from my work when I was in Maryland. I only did one class online. Looking back I wish I had just done it in the classroom.

dcwilbur said: civ2k1 said: I have a friend who listed his computer consulting activities on his resume...The first job offer out of college that he got was contingent on producing tax returns to prove that part of his employment history.Wow - never heard of such a thing. I think I would have produced a list of references for whom I had done work for and tell them the tax returns were none of their business.

Not sure if he tried that route. Either way, it was their discretion to accept or not (it was a Fortune 100 company, so I'm guessing their HR rules were pretty much set in stone).

I had a similar issue with a multi-billion dollar company (Fortune 250 I think) that wanted proof of my employment in Real Estate (part time years prior). Since they couldn't reach the broker (no longer in business), they asked me for alternate documentation. It seemed like they were pretty willing to accept anything reasonable. I faxed them a copy of my broker agreement and they accepted. They were also willing to accept a state transcript of my RE license showing which broker it was registered with over what time period. I was not willing to disclose my tax return.

Put it on your resume. Then when it comes time to provide them with a list of references, print out all your eBay feedback and send it to them.

If you listed and asked about it in a interview, can you turn it into a way to reflect your skill to how it be related to the degree you are studying?

I want to be a fatwallet senior member so I can list that on my resume.

tante said: I want to be a fatwallet senior member so I can list that on my resume.

You could try listing "Addicted Member". Since addiction is a disability, they can't discriminate against you and might even give you extra points so they can hire someone with a disability to sway the quota.

Skipping 42 Messages...
riznick said: ColbyS said: In my experience the class tends to get bogged down when the drunk/stoned/hungover attention-wh0ring douches (male and female) interrupt the lecture with their immature antics. The next generation down is even more apathetic than my own so I can't imagine what it's like now. Guess I'll just have to enroll and find out...
I don't remember anyone interrupting any of our classes in community college or state college. Then again, I didn't go to a "party" college.

I went to a party college and a good majority of them acted very immature. However, I also felt that professors not showing up to class and having graduate assistants teach the lecture wasn't professional either.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014