• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I would like to cash gift cards from stores such as Bloomingdale's or Macy's.

Is there any department store that accepts its own gift cards to pay credit cards they issue?

Alternatively I am thinking about re-selling things that are on sale at these expensive retailers.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not sure about the initial question, but rather than buying stuff with the gift cards and then flipping it, why not just sell the gift cards themselves? Seems that would be easier.

Jc Penny was the only one who did this and they just stopped a few months ago. If you are in california, cards under $10 are redeemable for cash so you COULD use the card you have to buy a bunch of $10 cards and then cash them out.

motsuka said: Jc Penny was the only one who did this and they just stopped a few months ago. If you are in california, cards under $10 are redeemable for cash so you COULD use the card you have to buy a bunch of $10 cards and then cash them out.

often times stores don't allow this, but you can check the terms of the gift card

i'm in the same boat as OP.
I buy stuff from Macys but in order to get a discount, I have to use a Macys CC (which, I have).
Then, since I use a citi TY credit card and fly often, I have enough points to get those $100 Macys GC but am not able to pay my Macys CC bill with these GC's.

Then, it becomes a question of if I want to use these GC's to shop at Macys and forego the discount or use Macys CC & get an immediate discount but use cold harsh cash (when I pay the bill eventually) instead of TY points.

Kohl's. You can pay off your Kohl's credit card with a Kohl's gift card at the same register you just charged your purchase.

Most stores have a 90 days return policy, so if the item is purchased within 90 days, this is what you can do:

1. use your gift card to buy the same item as you previously purchased.
2. now go back in to return it with your original receipt which you purchased with your cc.
3. They will refund your cc.

gordita said: i'm in the same boat as OP.
I buy stuff from Macys but in order to get a discount, I have to use a Macys CC (which, I have).
Then, since I use a citi TY credit card and fly often, I have enough points to get those $100 Macys GC but am not able to pay my Macys CC bill with these GC's.

Then, it becomes a question of if I want to use these GC's to shop at Macys and forego the discount or use Macys CC & get an immediate discount but use cold harsh cash (when I pay the bill eventually) instead of TY points.

Why don't you use your points on a store gift card where you don't get a discount? Seems pointless to get Macy's gift cards unless that is the only place you regularly shop that TY points qualify for.

rusmilinyet said: Kohl's. You can pay off your Kohl's credit card with a Kohl's gift card at the same register you just charged your purchase.

This is against Kohls' corporate policy. You used to be able to do this, but you were lucky if you were able to do this recently.

nullterm said: rusmilinyet said: Kohl's. You can pay off your Kohl's credit card with a Kohl's gift card at the same register you just charged your purchase.

This is against Kohls' corporate policy. You used to be able to do this, but you were lucky if you were able to do this recently.

Kohls has special Kohls cares for kids giftcards that can be used to pay your bill. They are sold at a 5% discount to charities. Those are the only Kohls gift cards that are valid for payment on a charge. However the register will allow any gift card to be used. However anyone who accepts any other gift card is going to get in trouble.

Only way your gonna be able to do this is if you get a new employee who knows enough how to take payments without asking someone else, but hasn't been told not to do gift cards or perhaps a very lenient store. I've heard people say "Store X accepted the gift card for a payment just last week". Most likely they are BSing or last week actually means several years ago, but it is possible because as i said the registers will take the cards.

gordita said: i'm in the same boat as OP.

Not sure how it works for the discounts with Macy CC, but couldn't you use the GC for part of the purchase amount and use Macys CC for the rest to still get the CC discount? IE buy $150 of stuff, use $100 GC, $50 on Macy CC.

wiredspider said: gordita said: i'm in the same boat as OP.

Not sure how it works for the discounts with Macy CC, but couldn't you use the GC for part of the purchase amount and use Macys CC for the rest to still get the CC discount? IE buy $150 of stuff, use $100 GC, $50 on Macy CC.

No, the discount only applies to the amount put on the card.

I know this if you have a Nordstrom gift card and buy something with it you can return it and get Cash Back. WalMart as well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014