• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Late last year they closed all their branches around San Diego and Santa Barbara to concentrate their service in Los Angeles and its surrounding areas. This was all done to "improve" their operations. I'm thinking lack of customers did them in.

This week they sent me a notice stating they're starting a point system for their checking accounts, and eliminating their free checking. If I don't score five points, achieved by a combination of services depending if I use them enough, carry a balance, my deposits are large enough, then I need to pay $5 a month. There was no way to get the checking account for free by keeping a minimum balance. Since I wasn't about to be bothered counting points, I closed the checking (I didn't have enough points). I'll just keep my share/savings account and the credit card there, as long as that still remains free.

It used to be you can count on credit unions for their low costs, free checking, etc. But not any more. Wescom is looking at those big banks and thinking if they can't beat them, join them in their onerous charges along with less services.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

We shall see. I'm betting with the new laws these banks are going to find checking etc unprofitable so your going to see more and more restrictions like this in the coming months/year.

I'm sure FWF will always be able to find a free checking, but my guess is free checking is going to take the same amount of effort the HYS checking accounts used too (and I'm betting the HYS will start to disappear completely).

Some credit unions are a lot more like bad banks than others. Some signs: 1) The point system, 2) "Courtesy Overdrafts" without another less fee-filled way to protect your checking account, 3) Lack of foreign ATM reimbursements, especially if not in a strong surcharge free network such as the COOP network, and 4) large monthly minimum (or no way) to get free checking....

It's funny you should mention Wescom CU because they supply their Online Banking and Bill Pay interface to some of the other credit unions around the country, including Alliant CU..
Although Alliant is doing their own "in house" re-design of their Online Banking which is expected to be introduced in May of this year...although at least at first, they will still be using Wescom's Bill Pay although they are considering other options...

craig10x said: It's funny you should mention Wescom CU because they supply their Online Banking and Bill Pay interface to some of the other credit unions around the country, including Alliant CU..
Although Alliant is doing their own "in house" re-design of their Online Banking which is expected to be introduced in May of this year...although at least at first, they will still be using Wescom's Bill Pay although they are considering other options...

Is there some sort of press release from Alliant about this? Maybe they'll finally let us pick a login name instead of having to use an account number...

hapsnn said: craig10x said: It's funny you should mention Wescom CU because they supply their Online Banking and Bill Pay interface to some of the other credit unions around the country, including Alliant CU..

Is there some sort of press release from Alliant about this? Maybe they'll finally let us pick a login name instead of having to use an account number...

No...i just happen to be acquainted with someone who is in management at their headquarters who i occasionally e-mail with....he had told me about certain things (such as this) that most of the csrs would probably not have much inside info about...

Once the new Online arrives, since it is "in house" they can make changes based on customer feedback...so at that time (once it launches) you can make your suggestions to them
You probably won't see an "official release" until shortly before the actual launch (which he anticipates will happen in May)...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014