• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Got W2 for maternity leave which has nothing in box 1 but there is withholding in box 2. Box 12a has code J and the sick pay amount and box 13 has third party sick pay checked in. All other boxes are blank.

HR block tax software (formaly tax cut) is not letting me efile because box 1 is empty. What to do?
I searched internet and found that several people suggested that we don't need to enter this 3rd party sick pay w2 at all; but I assume they didn't have the amount in box 2 (withholding). I don't have that choice, or I will loose my withholding. Please suggest any option or paper file is the best bet? Please help.

Thanks.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

nanga said: Got W2 for maternity leave which has nothing in box 1 but there is withholding in box 2. Box 12a has code J and the sick pay amount and box 13 has third party sick pay checked in. All other boxes are blank.

HR block tax software (formaly tax cut) is not letting me efile because box 1 is empty. What to do?
I searched internet and found that several people suggested that we don't need to enter this 3rd party sick pay w2 at all; but I assume they didn't have the amount in box 2 (withholding). I don't have that choice, or I will loose my withholding. Please suggest any option or paper file is the best bet? Please help.

Thanks.
The IRS runs e-filed tax returns through a number of front-end "idiot tests" before accepting the e-filing. These are tests for common errors. Unfortunately, they do reject a small number of valid returns.

One of the tests requires the wages field on a W-2 to be non-zero (unless there is combat pay exclusion). A zero wages field will be rejected with error return code 0123.

You have two options:
1) Just print out your return and mail it in. Everything will be OK.
2) Enter $1 in the wages box. It will probably not change your tax due or refund. (If it does do something funky to your total, go back to option 1.) This will pass the IRS test, but I don't know if Tax Cut maybe has some internal test it would fail. And, no, if your total tax due doesn't change you won't get into any trouble.

Thanks for quick response. Entering $1 in box 1 lowers my refund by $1 and increased by AGI by $1. But it pass the TaxCut efile step...

I don't care for $1.00; but will I be in trouble?

Thanks,

nanga said: Thanks for quick response. Entering $1 in box 1 lowers my refund by $1 and increased by AGI by $1. But it pass the TaxCut efile step...

I don't care for $1.00; but will I be in trouble?

Thanks,
You'll be fine.
Don't worry.

Thanks a lot.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014