Independent Bread Routes

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Does anyone own one? How large is it? What hours do you work? Do you make decent money?

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes?

We seriously need a baked goods subforum.

some of those routes are protected.

you might get whacked by the Ciabatta crime family.

Atkins ftw

You people are really weird. I am asking as we got to talking to this guy this past weekend. He has had a bread route since 2002. Wifey has never worked. We didn't want to be nosy but I am nosy as I find it hard to believe that there are "routes" nowadays. So I'm asking you people. How much can your earn from a "route"?

wtf is a bread route?

You do understand that a "bread route" can mean many different thing to different people in different part of the country, right?

Does anyone own one? - YES
How large is it? - BIG
What hours do you work? - A LOT
Do you make decent money? - OF COURSE

puffalicious said: We didn't want to be nosy but I am nosy as I find it hard to believe that there are "routes" nowadaysDont you ever see panel trucks in grocery store parking lots, or on the road. I saw an Oroweat bread truck 30 minutes ago, a Budweiser truck yesterday, and a Coca-Cola truck a few days ago.

Are those independent routes?

Yes, there are independent routes. I've sometimes thought about them myself, having had a paper route as a youngster in the 1980's, back when kids still delivered newspapers. Based on my extensive paper route experience, I can say--

1) Yes, routes can be very profitable (cash money).
2) You can hustle and expand your route if you want, earning even more money.
3) However, routes must be delivered to every...single...day of the year. No breaks, ever. Getting a reliable "substitute" is difficult (had I not had parents who were willing to occasionally deliver for me, I would not have lasted very long).
4) I suppose two guys could form a partnership for a route, that could give them both some time off. But again, hard to find someone willing to take this on even part time.
5) The early bird gets the worm. A bread route doesn't sound like a job for someone who likes to sleep in.
6) For a kid delivering newspapers from a bike fuel costs are not an issue, but for a bread truck, they probably are a major ongoing expense. A spike in costs could mean a sharp cut into profits.

i'm still not clear on the term "bread route". is the op talking literally, like driving a truck full of bread to different stores? i thought bread companies hired truckers to do that for hourly wages.

PFAgent said: i'm still not clear on the term "bread route". is the op talking literally, like driving a truck full of bread to different stores? i thought bread companies hired truckers to do that for hourly wages.Alot of bakeries subcontract the actual deliveries, to avoid the fixed overhead and limit distribution expenses to a defined per-unit commission.

puffalicious said: Do you make decent dough?

BEEFjerKAY said: puffalicious said: Do you make decent dough?yes, but it can be sour.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014