• Go to page :
  • 1 2 3
  • Text Only
Update:

He fixed one of the showers in my apartment, but not the other (2 furnaces, 2 hot water tanks), and when I called him yesterday to check on the status, he said it should be working. Even when I reassured him that the hot water tank and furnace aren't hooked up. Nevertheless, he said to run it and then call him back. I did, he didn't answer. I called him again today and he didn't answer. I then IMMEDIATELY called him from my roommates cell phone, and he picked up - which leads me to believe he is screening my number.

He said "well, the contractor was just there today, so let me call him and I'll call you back"... My guess is he won't call back, and then tomorrow he will have 2 phone numbers to screen for. I'm running out of roommates and running out of cell phone numbers to call him from.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: The OP says in the thread title LL WONT fix the heat or hot water. Of course thats untrue, but tenants are assuming LL is taking his sweet time, when the reality is that things dont get done instantly and you have no right to demand instant repairs just because you rent.

My guess is thousands of basements have flooded and everyones systems are broken. LL is at the mercy of contractor schedules. Could indeed be a month or more.

OP has no idea if LL is trying to get it fixed but the title says the LL "wont." Whatever answer or communication the LL gave as to the delay wouldnt be acceptable to people with this mentality.

My accusation of "won't" comes from 11 months of the landlord being unresponsive to request for repairs.

The stove broke - we called for about a week before buying the spare parts ourselves and fixing it.
A tall lightbulb burned out in november, and all we asked for was next time he had other work to do, he would stop in and let us use the ladder... 5 months later, no lightbulb.
One of the other tenants has to fix his own roof, because the landlord won't fix a leak.
Another tenant waited 3 months after moving in to get his roof fixed, despite it being a stipulation in his lease. He lived rent free but with a leaky roof for 3 months.
When we moved in, the landlord specifically mentioned that he was going to fix up the outside (siding, porches, etc) that summer. Never happened.

I could list a lot more things.

davef139 said: This thread needs pictures!

I don't understand how each shower gets its own hotwater heater as most places I have been have always had off a central. So if one pushed out hot water everyone should.

Also going through the 100year floods in the midwest 2years ago, if you expect things to get done fast you are going to be in for a surprise when everyone around you is flooded also.

The lightbulb? Where in your place do you have a bulb that requires you to change that needs a ladder?

There are 8 units in the building, with 9 furnaces and a hot water tank attached to each furnace.

The lightbulb is in a kitchen that has I'd say ~15 ft ceilings - We've tried stacking 2 chairs high and still can't get to it.

StevenColorado said: smithr4 said:

Just curious as to what you would consider a "reasonable" amount of time to have the property returned to it's previous status. 2 weeks? 1 month? How long should the tenant be expected to deal with this "diminished" living situation? Hypothetically, if I'm a tenant, I entered into an agreement with the property in a certain condition (complete with certain amenities including 2 working showers and central heat). Under the current conditions, I am NOT getting what I paid for. I understand that this was the result of a natural disaster and that repairs will certainly take some time. However, extended residence in a hotel is not an acceptable solution. If I wanted to stay in a hotel I would do just that rather than lease an apartment. Sure, as a short-term fix the hotel is certainly a viable (though perhaps inconvenient) option. IMO, LL could really help the situation through simple communication regarding the repair process.

Sorry that a hotel is not acceptable to you. Why not? The ll is making a generous offer, and is likely taking a loss if taken up on it. No ll would pay for a hotel room for more than a few days, so I don't know where the idea of an extended stay came from.

Trust me, the ll does not have lots of spare time right now. He just wants the situation fixed FAST - it's not only disgruntled renters, but also preventing water and mold damage as well. He has a lo more at stake here than his renters do.

The LL owns several properties in Newport... including 2-3 high end restaurants that he has either sold or leased to other owners. I have heard from my realtor, as well as other people that are long time residents of the area that he is selling everything off and returning to his home in Italy. He couldn't give a rat's ass about this building - he wants to dump it as quick as possible.

vnuts21 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: The OP says in the thread title LL WONT fix the heat or hot water. Of course thats untrue, but tenants are assuming LL is taking his sweet time, when the reality is that things dont get done instantly and you have no right to demand instant repairs just because you rent.

My guess is thousands of basements have flooded and everyones systems are broken. LL is at the mercy of contractor schedules. Could indeed be a month or more.

OP has no idea if LL is trying to get it fixed but the title says the LL "wont." Whatever answer or communication the LL gave as to the delay wouldnt be acceptable to people with this mentality.

My accusation of "won't" comes from 11 months of the landlord being unresponsive to request for repairs.

The stove broke - we called for about a week before buying the spare parts ourselves and fixing it.
A tall lightbulb burned out in november, and all we asked for was next time he had other work to do, he would stop in and let us use the ladder... 5 months later, no lightbulb.
One of the other tenants has to fix his own roof, because the landlord won't fix a leak.
Another tenant waited 3 months after moving in to get his roof fixed, despite it being a stipulation in his lease. He lived rent free but with a leaky roof for 3 months.
When we moved in, the landlord specifically mentioned that he was going to fix up the outside (siding, porches, etc) that summer. Never happened.

Why do you still live in this place if its so awful? I've had deadbeat landlords before and instead of trying to work with them, I just move. If it were me I would just stay in the hotel until everything gets fixed, assuming he's paying for it. There is nothing you can do to speed up the repair process. Either live with it, or move out.

t60 said: vnuts21 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: The OP says in the thread title LL WONT fix the heat or hot water. Of course thats untrue, but tenants are assuming LL is taking his sweet time, when the reality is that things dont get done instantly and you have no right to demand instant repairs just because you rent.

Why do you still live in this place if its so awful? I've had deadbeat landlords before and instead of trying to work with them, I just move. If it were me I would just stay in the hotel until everything gets fixed, assuming he's paying for it. There is nothing you can do to speed up the repair process. Either live with it, or move out.

I have a 1 year lease which expires May 31. Believe me, the first day I can move, I will. I have another apartment starting May 1.

Still no call back. Color me surprised.

OP, the owner sounds responsive and you sound like a nit-picky douche. There are probably 100 jobs for every contractor in your area, he has been more than accomodating. It is a natural disaster that takes time. In my area we had a ton of rain a couple years ago and there were pump trucks all up and down the street for two weeks straight. We also had high winds another time and roofs were being replaced at about one roof per day for over a year in my sub alone. I understand that you think that you pay rent makes you better than everyone else. Either take your four hour shower (did anyone else catch that 9am-5am = 4h) in your roomates bathroom or get a hotel on the landlord and quit bitching.

dmlavigne1 said: OP, the owner sounds responsive and you sound like a nit-picky douche. There are probably 100 jobs for every contractor in your area, he has been more than accomodating. It is a natural disaster that takes time. In my area we had a ton of rain a couple years ago and there were pump trucks all up and down the street for two weeks straight. We also had high winds another time and roofs were being replaced at about one roof per day for over a year in my sub alone. I understand that you think that you pay rent makes you better than everyone else. Either take your four hour shower (did anyone else catch that 9am-5am = 4h) in your roomates bathroom or get a hotel on the landlord and quit bitching.And you sound like you haven't read the rest of the thread.

we dont care that he was unresponsive about a light bulb. You arent entitled to be king and get concierge service just bc you pay rent.

He isnt answering your calls because you are a PEST.

He has told you contractors are out there, maybe they havent fixed your unit yet but with 9 systems its gonna take time. Is he lying about contractors being out there? Maybe they havent fixed your particular systems yet, but if they are working on the property the landlord is being diligent and not in violation.

You need to show the landlord is negligent or wilfull in his conduct and refusal to repair, and by offering a hotel and having contractors come over there all the time, he is neither.

your sense of entitlement is amazing.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: we dont care that he was unresponsive about a light bulb. You arent entitled to be king and get concierge service just bc you pay rent.

He has told you contractors are out there, maybe they havent fixed your unit yet but with 9 systems its gonna take time. Is he lying about contractors being out there? Maybe they havent fixed your particular systems yet, but if they are working on the property the landlord is being diligent and not in violation.

You need to show the landlord is negligent or wilfull in his conduct and refusal to repair, and by offering a hotel and having contractors come over there all the time, he is neither.

Living with lights, heat and hot water is now being "entitled to be king"? Give me a **** break. It's not as if I called him every 15 minutes telling him to come change a lightbulb for me and wipe my ass. I called him and asked him to bring a ladder next time he had a contractor there. He said "yeah, no problem, give me a couple days" and then stopped responding. It would have been another issue if he had said "change it yourself", but he assured me that he can and will do it.

In 11 months of living there, I have called him maybe 5 times.

NO matter how much of a jerk your landlord was before, he canna' change the laws of physics (or economics.)

I live in an area that sees more than its share of natural disasters (bad storms, flooding, wildfires etc.) When something cuts a broad swath, such as the RI floods, contractors become insanely busy. And every single one of them is going to put priority on the people who call for them first, and their regular customers. The fact that your landlord doesn't seem to do regular maintenance suggests he doesn't have an ongoing relationship with a maintenance company.

In the coming weeks - probably already - your area is going to have an influx of contractors (plumbers, HVAC repair, etc.) coming in to pick up the spare work. Utilities from other areas will also be sending crews. But it takes time to get those folks into the pipeline to pick up work, and there will be plenty of scam artists in there.

You're moving within a month. With all those properties he's probably losing his mind (and possibly his shirt - if he was looking to divest properties in this market he had problems before the flood.)

A little bit of empathy from you before this - or even after the floods hit - probably would have moved you closer to the top of his to-do list. But it sounds like you're at rock bottom, and that doesn't seem to be surprising to anyone.

Everyone that I work with, have talked to, or has been affected by the flooding has had everything fixed. However, my unit still only has 1 hot water tank working, and no furnaces.

I talked to the landlord on Monday, and he said the contractor would be here to fix it yesterday. I talked to him this morning, and he said he was meeting the contractor mid day. I get home from work, and the furnace and hot water tank has clearly not even been touched (not fixed, still disconnected, lights were off, and no sign of anyone moving anything in the area).

Now, when I call the landlord, there is no answer, and it says the voicemail is full.

Still don't believe me when I say that the landlord WON'T fix the heat and hot water?

At this point I think SIS is basically trolling every tenant he can find on these boards. I wouldn't really take anything he says seriously as it is usually inflammatory in nature.

The issue I see is that the landlord did offer you the hotel, which if you read the law says he can do. Since you declined the hotel, he does have an argument if you attempt further action. If I were you it might not hurt to scare him a bit, send some type of certified letter about the situation. At the very least make him rent you a hotel. Nothing says you have to actually stay there. $$$ is what motivates these people, hit his bottom dollar and maybe he will be faster to fix things.

I called again at 8 PM today. He said "we replaced the part... everything should be working"... even though I can tell no one has been down there. He said he would call the contractor "right now" and "call me back in 5 minutes". 45 minutes go by, and I call HIM back. No answer, so I leave a voice mail saying that I am tired of his ****, and that I would be filing a formal complaint that the building is not up to code with City Hall on Friday afternoon if the issue isn't resolved. City Hall would have an inspector come to the apartment, see whats wrong, then get it fixed and bill the landlord.

Granted, by that point I won't even be living in the apartment any more, so I won't care, but it has become a matter of principle.

vnuts21 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: we dont care that he was unresponsive about a light bulb. You arent entitled to be king and get concierge service just bc you pay rent.

Living with lights, heat and hot water is now being "entitled to be king"? Give me a **** break. It's not as if I called him every 15 minutes telling him to come change a lightbulb for me and wipe my ass. I called him and asked him to bring a ladder next time he had a contractor there. He said "yeah, no problem, give me a couple days" and then stopped responding. It would have been another issue if he had said "change it yourself", but he assured me that he can and will do it.

Seemed to me like you called the LL more than 5 times in 11 months.
Anyway, since the LL offers to pay for your hotel, why don't you just go to the hotel (also stay home simultaneously) so that will cost him money each and every day. See if this will speed up anything. All we've heard is YOUR side of the story, so I can't comment much. BUT I can tell you this: the LL doesn't want to get into this situation any more than you do. It is LL worst nightmare to get complain calls from tenants.

vnuts21 said:

Granted, by that point I won't even be living in the apartment any more, so I won't care, but it has become a matter of principle.

Exactly, you dont even care about the issue, you just want to hassle the LL. We see your principles.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: vnuts21 said:

Exactly, you dont even care about the issue, you just want to hassle the LL. We see your principles.

At the beginning of this (3 weeks ago, when the rain stopped), all I wanted was to get it fixed. Now, after getting directly lied to about the issue, I am just pissed off. I know that there isn't anything I can do to get the heat and hot water back in time before I move out (I think the LL was counting on this fact), so I have given up hope. I haven't given up hope in getting even against someone that has directly lied, and essentially "stolen" my money - by taking rent and not providing an inhabitable place in return.

echip said: vnuts21 said: SUCKISSTAPLES said: we dont care that he was unresponsive about a light bulb. You arent entitled to be king and get concierge service just bc you pay rent.

Seemed to me like you called the LL more than 5 times in 11 months.
Anyway, since the LL offers to pay for your hotel, why don't you just go to the hotel (also stay home simultaneously) so that will cost him money each and every day. See if this will speed up anything. All we've heard is YOUR side of the story, so I can't comment much. BUT I can tell you this: the LL doesn't want to get into this situation any more than you do. It is LL worst nightmare to get complain calls from tenants.

5 times...

Twice about the lightbulb, twice to get the heat fixed at the beginning of the winter (which took 2 weeks in December to do), and once to ask if there was anything wrong with the heat when we got our first heating bill for December, which was $535 dollars.

I called the hotel 2 nights ago when it was 52 DEGREES in the apartment, they said they don't have an account with the landlord open because "everything has been fixed at the building".

We need more consumer protection laws to protect against deadbeat landlords like this.

panmet69 said: At this point I think SIS is basically trolling every tenant he can find on these boards. I wouldn't really take anything he says seriously as it is usually inflammatory in nature.

Its also correct. Remind us what you have posted to help?

And I do help tenants who might be caught up in real scams
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1000118?highlight_key=y&...

The deadbeat tenants will be outed as such.

OP has admitted he is just pissed and any action taken will be bc he is pissed.

Revenge isnt the purpose of this forum.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: panmet69 said: At this point I think SIS is basically trolling every tenant he can find on these boards. I wouldn't really take anything he says seriously as it is usually inflammatory in nature.

Its also correct. Remind us what you have posted to help?

And I do help tenants who might be caught up in real scams
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1000118?highlight_key=y&...

The deadbeat tenants will be outed as such.

OP has admitted he is just pissed and any action taken will be bc he is pissed.

Revenge isnt the purpose of this forum.

The only reason it is revenge is because any action I take won't be resolved before I move out.

So according to you, any landlord can stop maintaining a property 11 months into a 12 month lease? Because surely, if anything goes wrong in the 12th month, the LL doesn't need to fix it because any action by the tenant won't get resolved before move out, and it is solely for revenge.

You are a troll. How am I a deadbeat tenant? I pay rent on time every month, and all I ask for in return is a suitable living condition (one which the LL himself would WANT to live in, not just bear living in) with heat and hot water. This landlord clearly hasn't provided that, and as such I am pissing away my money for nothing.

He didnt stop maintaining it. You admitted they got the hot water back on in one bathroom. If he stopped maintaining it you would have no hot water at all.

Why arent the other tenants complaining, why is it just you?

You have roomates, you have called LL 5 times... How many times have they called?

vnuts21 said: Update:

He fixed one of the showers in my apartment,

Clearly he IS maintaining.

So you're saying that if you sign a lease for a 3 BR/2 BA apartment, you wouldn't be pissed off if you only had 1 working bath with NO HEAT IN THE ENTIRE UNIT? You can't seriously believe what you're saying.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: He didnt stop maintaining it. You admitted they got the hot water back on in one bathroom. If he stopped maintaining it you would have no hot water at all.

Why arent the other tenants complaining, why is it just you?

You have roomates, you have called LL 5 times... How many times have they called?

I was always the one to call, unless I am out of town. Either way, it was never for unwarranted reasons.

vnuts21 said:
At the beginning of this (3 weeks ago, when the rain stopped), all I wanted was to get it fixed. Now, after getting directly lied to about the issue, I am just pissed off.

Saab9kt already posted what you have to prove. I understand why you are pissed, but to be in violation of the statute posted, LL actions must be willful and negligent.

The LL has an excellent argument that he is not, that he has made repairs, offered a hotel immediately which you refused (and cannot NOW try to get 3 weeks later).

By the time a govt complaint is investigated, it will be after May 1 when there is no requirement to supply heat. And you wont be a tenant anymore.

Not only are any govt complaints unlikely to result in any action, you are wasting the limited county resources to investigate legitimate complaints from people with real pressing issues.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: Saab9kt already posted what you have to prove. I understand why you are pissed, but to be in violation of the statute posted, LL actions must be willful and negligent.

The LL has an excellent argument that he is not, that he has made repairs, offered a hotel immediately which you refused (and cannot NOW try to get 3 weeks later).

By the time a govt complaint is investigated, it will be after May 1 when there is no requirement to supply heat. And you wont be a tenant anymore.

Not only are any govt complaints unlikely to result in any action, you are wasting the limited county resources to investigate legitimate complaints from people with real pressing issues.

Itís willful or negligent. Not fixing a heater for a month sounds negligent to me. OP has cause to sue the landlord to cover the difference already paid in rent with what the "fair market value" of the apartment is without heat and 1 shower. Unless you run into time limits, i suggest suing after you move out and include in the suit any wrongful damage charges the landlord comes up with to keep your security deposit.

OP has never indicated he is going to sue, just file a county complaint.

I explained how this is not only a waste of his time, its a waste of county resources. Do you disagree.

Filing suit is a completely separate issue. You dont file county complaints bc you are too lazy to sue, or cant prevail in a suit. That is for revenge only.

understand the difference.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: OP has never indicated he is going to sue, just file a county complaint.

I explained how this is not only a waste of his time, its a waste of county resources. Do you disagree.

Filing suit is a completely separate issue. You dont file county complaints bc you are too lazy to sue, or cant prevail in a suit. That is for revenge only.

understand the difference.

I agree. If OP really wants revenge, a lawsuit is his best dish, and that is exactly what I recommend. Take these deadbeat landlords and rake them over the coals of the legal system.

OP would have a very hard time proving the necessary elements. Its his burden.

LL has proof of repairs and offer of hotel.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: OP would have a very hard time proving the necessary elements. Its his burden.

LL has proof of repairs and offer of hotel.

Landlord doesn't have proof he repaired the heat, because it wasn't repaired. Also, OP rented the apartment, not a hotel. OP is not required to accept inferior housing arrangements because the landlord doesn't feel like fixing the heat.

Op deserves his last month's rent back minus the $20 the apartment is worth as a storage locker.

offering the hotel shows LL wasnt willful or negligent.

Also OP is just a roomate. In the best of worlds, lets assume he wins.

he doesnt get the full rent back for the whole 3bd apartment. He gets the difference of his portion of rent compared to discounted FMV...Unless this is a $3000 unit, we are talking MAYBE $100-200.

There is no financial value (or personal time value) in pursuing a legal claim, for the possibility of winning such a low amount.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: offering the hotel shows LL wasnt willful or negligent.

Also OP is just a roomate. In the best of worlds, lets assume he wins.

he doesnt get the full rent back for the whole 3bd apartment. He gets the difference of his portion of rent compared to discounted FMV...Unless this is a $3000 unit, we are talking MAYBE $100-200.

There is no financial value (or personal time value) in pursuing a legal claim, for the possibility of winning such a low amount.

How does offering a hotel show the landlord wasn't negligent in repairing the heat?

What's fair market value on an apartment with no heat? I agree, if you look at one less bathroom, 100-200 is right. Btu without heat, the apartment becomes a storage shed.

He's been living there, and so have his roomates, so it wasnt a storage shed.

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really believe he has a good chance of making a creditble argument in front of a judge AND recovering an amount that exceeds the time/hassle value of his claim?

scrouds said:
How does offering a hotel show the landlord wasn't negligent in repairing the heat?

Hotel room for each of the 12 units costs just a smidge more than a repairguy. The landlord did the right thing by offering a hotel. It's in the landlords interest to get the heat fixed.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: He's been living there, and so have his roomates, so it wasnt a storage shed.

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really believe he has a good chance of making a creditble argument in front of a judge AND recovering an amount that exceeds the time/hassle value of his claim?

I believe he has a very credable case under rhode island law. I think your bais against tenants blinds you to this.

my state's law requires providing heat promptly if it breaks, but only during certain months of the year. might want to check your state's.

did the LL offer space heaters?

honestly, now that you've threatened him, there's no way he'll give you what you want. if it was me, i'd just make him evict me (well, i'd leave before the cops showed up, of course)

After May 1 he doesnt need to provide heat, so he is probably waiting it out

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014