• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have an opportunity to buy a rental property with a pool. It is a single family residence. The only thing holding me back is the fact that the house has an in ground pool. I was thinking if I get it, not to rent to people with small children, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent an accident.

Is it worth getting or is the liability too great? Do any of you out there have rental properties with a pool? Is this something that I should even be concerned about?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Fill the pool with $1 coins from the Treasury that you got on your Cash Back rewards cards and swim around in them!

tripleB (Apr. 13, 2010 @ 8:58a) |

ducktales!

clos1084 (Apr. 13, 2010 @ 9:33a) |

I own a house with a big swimming pool. My dream is to get rich so that one day, I can afford to buy a home with no swi... (more)

johnrweb (Apr. 13, 2010 @ 12:36p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FYI it is illegal to not rent to someone because they have children, so be careful.

ChewbaccaJoe said: I was thinking if I get it, not to rent to people with small children, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent an accidents.

I'm not 100% but I believe this would fall under housing discrimination (family status) and you could be sued. It is admirable that you want to keep kids safe but it would probably be an easy lawsuit. I would pass on this since, without further info, it seems like little upside with a whole lot of downside.

buncle said: ChewbaccaJoe said: I was thinking if I get it, not to rent to people with small children, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent an accidents.

I'm not 100% but I believe this would fall under housing discrimination (family status) and you could be sued. It is admirable that you want to keep kids safe but it would probably be an easy lawsuit. I would pass on this since, without further info, it seems like little upside with a whole lot of downside.

Take the discrimination aspect out of the scenario. I'm more concerned with the liability of having a pool. Is it something that is really bad or is it like any other thing at a rental (as long as you have insurance, you're OK - and obviously you're not negligent).

Do any of you have rentals with a pool? If so, how do you handle it?

Like anything with a rental property, you would be responsible for safe maintenance of the property including the pool. Fences, locks and door alarms, depending how its all set up. I would think putting terms in the lease such as the tenant must inform the landlord of any problems with the pool safety equiptment, immediately addressing any issues, and putting it all under an LLC would go a long way to limit your liability

If you are worried enough to ask for advice before buying, imagine how worried you will be when you do buy it.

I would never own a rental home with a pool. the insurance/liability is to great.

you want to be careful, because if the pool leaks it will make the house be stank.

tru dat. Yu wont be no wanting a stank azz house.

scrouds said: Like anything with a rental property, you would be responsible for safe maintenance of the property including the pool. Fences, locks and door alarms, depending how its all set up. I would think putting terms in the lease such as the tenant must inform the landlord of any problems with the pool safety equiptment, immediately addressing any issues, and putting it all under an LLC would go a long way to limit your liability

A common misconception, because a business is in an LLC doesn't mean you are 100% personally protected.

Fill up the pool with dirt.

HumDoHamaraDo said: Fill up the pool with dirt.

My thoughts exactly - make it a community garden every tenant gets their own green space to grow. Trendy and green, renters will love it. and you would love not having to care for a pool.

isobro said: scrouds said: Like anything with a rental property, you would be responsible for safe maintenance of the property including the pool. Fences, locks and door alarms, depending how its all set up. I would think putting terms in the lease such as the tenant must inform the landlord of any problems with the pool safety equiptment, immediately addressing any issues, and putting it all under an LLC would go a long way to limit your liability

A common misconception, because a business is in an LLC doesn't mean you are 100% personally protected.

I agree. I've made that same point before. There's no way to 100% isolate liability. But the more protections you can put in place, the better your chances are.

You are going to have to build the pool maintenance and liability into the rent. Will the market rent be enough?

Jello Pool
Disclaimer
You have to decide if the rental value of the house (because of the addition of the pool) is worth it.

You'll have added insurance and maintenance/repair expenses. Pools are relatively cheap to maintain if you do it yourself (not including repairs, just chemicals). But if you have to hire someone that's not too cheap. You probably wouldn't want to keep the chemicals on site, so you'd have to transport them with you when you go to do it. I wouldn't trust the tenant to do it because they might screw it up.

Frankly, I'd just fill the pool with Jello and see if Bill Cosby is looking for a new place.

Depends on location. I would hold on to your valuable cash until the market settles down a bit.

Stay away from any property with a pool; way way too many worries and maintenance issues. i know i had such a property; never again.

Renters liability insurance from your insurance company is the answer. See if they will sell you the policy.

Unless you can command enough of a premium for having a pool (as compared with other similar house without a pool), it isn't worth it. If you can command no premium, definitely not worth it.

Turn it into a skate park. Let the kids graffiti it.
Put up a sign saying you bear no responsibility for injuries, even though you probably would.

mistycoupon said: Renters liability insurance from your insurance company is the answer. See if they will sell you the policy.Bingo. I doubt you would even be able to get a reasonably priced policy.

Fill the pool with $1 coins from the Treasury that you got on your Cash Back rewards cards and swim around in them!

tripleB said: Fill the pool with $1 coins from the Treasury that you got on your Cash Back rewards cards and swim around in them!ducktales!

HumDoHamaraDo said: Fill up the pool with dirt.

I own a house with a big swimming pool. My dream is to get rich so that one day, I can afford to buy a home with no swimming pool. Just grass and a place to plant a garden.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014