• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
NOTE: The full degrees (such as the "online bachelor's degree") are not free, but many of the individual courses are free.

--------------------------------------------
Academic Earth
http://academicearth.org/

Academic Earth is an organization founded with the goal of giving everyone on earth access to a world-class education.
As more and more high quality educational content becomes available online for free, we ask ourselves, what are the real barriers to achieving a world class education? At Academic Earth, we are working to identify these barriers and find innovative ways to use technology to increase the ease of learning.
We are building a user-friendly educational ecosystem that will give internet users around the world the ability to easily find, interact with, and learn from full video courses and lectures from the world’s leading scholars. Our goal is to bring the best content together in one place and create an environment in which that content is remarkably easy to use and where user contributions make existing content increasingly valuable.
We invite those who share our passion to explore our website, participate in our online community, and help us continue to find new ways to make learning easier for everyone.

Universities offering video classes:
Berkeley
Columbia
Gonzaga
Harvard
LSE
Maryland
Michigan
MIT
Northeastern
Norwich
NYU
Oxford
Princeton
Stanford
UCLA
UMass
UNSW
USC
Yale

Subjects:
Online Bachelor's Degrees
Online Courses for Credit
Online Master's Degrees
Online Professional Certificates
Art & Architecture
Astronomy
Biology
Business
Chemistry
Computer Science
Economics
Education
Engineering (Electrical)
Engineering (Except Electrical)
Entrepreneurship
Environmental Studies
History
International Relations
Law
Literature
Mathematics
Media Studies
Medicine & Healthcare
Philosophy
Physics
Political Science
Psychology
Religious Studies
Writing

---------
Here is an example of a university which offers free video classes on Academic Earth as well as on its own website:

Yale University
Open Courses
http://oyc.yale.edu/

Open Yale Courses provides free and open access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University. The aim of the project is to expand access to educational materials for all who wish to learn.

Departments: Astronomy Biomedical Engineering Chemistry Classics Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Economics English History History of Art Italian Language and Literature Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology Music Philosophy Physics Political Science Psychology Religious Studies

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank You. Repped. This is going to be very very useful for my wife. I think she can get enough info here to start her Masters.

How interesting! I even found lectures from the author of the textbook for my upcoming Linear Algebra class. The professors weren't rated very well for this course at my college, so this gives me some peace of mind that I have some alternative lectures to help. Plus, other random potentially interesting lectures to boot! Thanks, OP.

Thank you

Also, check out Itunes U. There is a lot of good material uploaded from some very good Universities around the country.

quats said: How interesting! I even found lectures from the author of the textbook for my upcoming Linear Algebra class. The professors weren't rated very well for this course at my college, so this gives me some peace of mind that I have some alternative lectures to help.

That is great. It helps comprehension so much to hear a book's author explain her/his concepts in lectures.

Yes, even in my 5-minute skim of the site, I found classes by some authors of assigned books I had to read in my MBA.

This could be a great adjunct to anyone's studies.

I hope that it will be accessible to lots of people around the world who can't afford an advanced education (or even to buy textbooks), and who are interested in certain subjects.

I also think it could be a good way for high school seniors to check into what subject they want to major in in college. They could view classes in the various fields and get a much more realistic idea of what that major is going to be like to study. Especially if you didn't have a subject in high school, it's hard to know beyond basic stereotypes what it is like to study at university level.

Please pass the information about this website along. It's wonderful that it's free and has so much cooperation from many solid institutions and academics.

I almost don't want to go back to the site (scared that I'll spend WAY too much time with it) because I am the type of person who enjoyed taking "X subject 101" in lots of far-flung subjects! Physics, biology, sociology, art history, history, etc. [However, I don't think I'll be joining you in that "Linear Algebra" free course -- it's all yours! ]

Awesome.
Thanks

very good. many course videos are relatively old but their contents and knowledge are always very useful.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Don't forget:
MIT's Open Course Ware
National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning - This one is from India. The lectures by the faculty of India's premier educational institutions.

Any speedreading courses?

Thanks for info. Now i'm going to listen some useful lesson.

This is one of the very good ones, The Khan Academy is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) with the mission of providing a world-class education to anyone, anywhere. I like the craigslist type course layout:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014