• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Dropbox has a new promo to get additional free space for people with a school (typically .edu) email address.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace

Details: https://blog.dropbox.com/index.php/now-announcing-the-great-drop...

Member Summary

Dropbox (6.19kB)
Thanks MVP9596
Disclaimer

Dropbox Great Space Race (30.76kB)
Thanks ryangoldstein
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
You'll notice the Dropbox logo next to Scott B.'s name and the 'Dropboxer' title under it. Only Dropbox employees have t... (more)

ryangoldstein (Oct. 17, 2012 @ 10:44a) |

Dropbox has made available the real-time list of the top 100 universities, by earned points: https://www.dropbox.com/spa... (more)

ryangoldstein (Oct. 19, 2012 @ 1:20p) |

"The Great Space Race has ended!"

dawpa2000 (Dec. 25, 2012 @ 7:27a) |

Easy peasy, +3gb. Posted to FB/Linked in, more space is good!

Ha, I'll save everyone some time: australia.edu accounts are not eligible.

Thanks OP.

Slight downside (perhaps only a potential downside) - the free 3GB is stated for only 2 years. Now, I've never heard of Dropbox removing bonus/free space before... so....

Here is what it says in the terms of agreement:
ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE EARNED THROUGH THE PROGRAM WILL EXPIRE ON JANUARY 15, 2015 ("EXPIRATION DATE"). FOLLOWING EXPIRATION OF ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE, THE USERíS DROPBOX SERVICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY DOWNGRADE TO THE CURRENT AMOUNT OF FREE STORAGE SPACE OFFERED TO ALL USERS WITH FREE ACCOUNTS, UNLESS THE USER SIGNS UP FOR A DROPBOX PRO OR TEAMS SUBSCRIPTION.

So are they saying it will downgrade to the free space we currently have? Or down the the 2GB? Or will it be the maximum free space a user can have?

Godis1coolguy said:   So are they saying it will downgrade to the free space we currently have? Or down the the 2GB? Or will it be the maximum free space a user can have?
Based on "ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE EARNED THROUGH THE PROGRAM WILL EXPIRE...", it's referring to only the space earned through the Great Space Race program (3GB, 8GB, etc, based on how many points the school associated with your email address earns, probably including the additional 500MB/referal space earned by referring people specifically to the Space Race).

Two year deal - how can they possible compete with Box? I have 50gb to start there...

box has file size limit- 100 MB. that is a huge limitation. the interface sucks, at least lst time I used it. I have 50 GB but could never use it.

In for 3! Thanks OP.

Thanks, used my alumni account to get extra space.

box works just fine for me, 50G free space!

ryangoldstein said:   Godis1coolguy said:   So are they saying it will downgrade to the free space we currently have? Or down the the 2GB? Or will it be the maximum free space a user can have?
Based on "ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE EARNED THROUGH THE PROGRAM WILL EXPIRE...", it's referring to only the space earned through the Great Space Race program (3GB, 8GB, etc, based on how many points the school associated with your email address earns, probably including the additional 500MB/referal space earned by referring people specifically to the Space Race).

You ignored the entire relevant portion: FOLLOWING EXPIRATION OF ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE, THE USERíS DROPBOX SERVICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY DOWNGRADE TO THE CURRENT AMOUNT OF FREE STORAGE SPACE OFFERED TO ALL USERS WITH FREE ACCOUNTS.

This seems to mean that if you already have bonus space (through referrals, the Dropbox Scavenger Hunts, etc), you'll lose it all when this extra 3GB expires and drop back down to 2GB.

iamlost26 said:   ryangoldstein said:   Godis1coolguy said:   So are they saying it will downgrade to the free space we currently have? Or down the the 2GB? Or will it be the maximum free space a user can have?

You ignored the entire relevant portion: FOLLOWING EXPIRATION OF ANY ADDITIONAL STORAGE SPACE, THE USERíS DROPBOX SERVICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY DOWNGRADE TO THE CURRENT AMOUNT OF FREE STORAGE SPACE OFFERED TO ALL USERS WITH FREE ACCOUNTS.

This seems to mean that if you already have bonus space (through referrals, the Dropbox Scavenger Hunts, etc), you'll lose it all when this extra 3GB expires and drop back down to 2GB.

I really doubt that.

True; here's a topic I made at the Dropbox forums, in which a moderator replied, "What it means is that any extra space you get from the Space Race will expire, not everything but your basic 2 GB."

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=91739

ryangoldstein said:   True; here's a topic I made at the Dropbox forums, in which a moderator replied, "What it means is that any extra space you get from the Space Race will expire, not everything but your basic 2 GB."

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=91739

Thanks for that link. If that's what they're trying to say, the terms were written very very poorly (or just plain incorrectly).

In my experience lawyers very rarely unintentionally write something poorly, especially when the mistake is in their favor. The moderator who responded appears to be a student, who just happens to be a moderator on the forum. A response from dropbox themselves would be nice.

If you have a server somewhere you have access to you could install OwnCloud and run a box/dropbox style interface and system you have complete control over. If you dont then these services are great I have a 50gb Box account and the 100MB limit does make it less useful for certain tasks but much of what I upload to it is small files and photos for quick shareing for temporary things. Dropbox it seems you really need to keep pace with the deals and offers to get all that much useable space out of it.

A Dropboxer replied to my topic on their forums confirming that "only the extra space earned through Space Race will expire on 1/15/2015. You will keep the space you previously earned from referrals, Dropquest, etc."

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=91739#post-504221

ryangoldstein said:   A Dropboxer replied to my topic on their forums confirming that "only the extra space earned through Space Race will expire on 1/15/2015. You will keep the space you previously earned from referrals, Dropquest, etc."

https://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=91739#post-504221

But isn't "a dropboxer" just a classification for a user of that forum? I noticed there were postings from "moderators" on that page but the person who made this statement doesn't appear to hold any authority whatsoever.

You'll notice the Dropbox logo next to Scott B.'s name and the 'Dropboxer' title under it. Only Dropbox employees have that.

Dropbox has made available the real-time list of the top 100 universities, by earned points: https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/top

Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine how much space members of those universities have earned, because according to the terms, "Each Eligible Higher Education Institution will be assigned three numerical thresholds. These numerical thresholds will be different for each Eligible Higher Education Institution because the number of points required to reach a threshold has been statistically normalized to account for the fact that schools with larger enrollments are able to earn points faster than schools with smaller enrollments."

In other words, the number of points that have to be accumulated to reach the 8GB/15GB/25GB levels vary between each university, allegedly based on how many students are enrolled.

As a reference point, for the University of Pennsylvania, currently #33 with 8,066 points and 3,954 participating members, we have reached the 8GB level. The next 15GB level is 11,504 points. The enrollment as of Fall 2011 is 24,832 students.

"The Great Space Race has ended!"

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014