Windows Media Center for Windows 8 Pro

Archived From: Free Stuff
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you have Windows 8 Pro (or plan to get it soon) you can get a key for Windows Media Center for free (normally $9.99)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

Looks like this offer is good until January 31, 2013.

___

Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through the promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location, fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. In addition, each product key can only be used with one computer. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. This promotion ends on January 31, 2013; your product key must be activated no later than February 1, 2013. Microsoft will only contact you at the email address you provide to send you your product key and to remind you when the activation period for your product key is ending. Catalysis Corporation is a third-party company we use to collect subscription information and process the delivery of these emails. If you purchase a new PC with Windows 8 preinstalled and you later upgrade that PC with Windows 8 Pro Pack, Windows 8 Media Center Pack, a volume license edition, or a retail edition, you will no longer be able to install apps that are provided exclusively from your PC manufacturer through the Windows Store. Get the full details on our special offers.

Member Summary

windows media center (43.75kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This works great. It is a unique product key so if you have multiple copies of win 8 get multiple keys. Expires Jan 31s... (more)

techguy23 (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 10:31a) |

I loaded windows 8 media center today, using an 'expired' free key.

jenkinsr99 (Feb. 06, 2013 @ 6:54p) |

I wish I had seen this before. Waaaaaaah!

Gnomie (Feb. 07, 2013 @ 1:26p) |

Thanks OP, I well be watching my email for the code.

Thanks !!

ur my hero!

thanks, got it

Thanks!!

Has anyone actually received an email with the key yet?

jansa said:   Has anyone actually received an email with the key yet?

Yes, I got mine about an hour ago. So did some of my friends.

Thanks, DvST8. That's helpful to know. I've been waiting several hours and still, nothing.

Still have not goten mine and I have put in 3 different email addresses....WTF...

and man, that is a old picture of media center !!!

I'm frustrated too, David. I know Microsoft sees us as an insignificant minority (who use Media Center), but why needlessly create disgruntled customers. I would have been willing to pay more to get WMC, since I use it daily to record "free" TV. Instead, I'm looking for alternatives.

Still waiting for my codes too. Sounds like they do come through; I just have to learn a little patience...

I got my code today, Thanks OP

Got the code. Despite what the email says, the same code can be used to activate MCE on multiple PC.

Edit: upon activating the 3rd PC, it says "this product key is already being used on another PC".

Nice find. It is a shame the FCC has allowed all channels to now be encrypted so the free OTA will be gone soon too.

If only WMC would integrate with my DirecTV, I would be in heaven.

Got It... thanks

I bought three Windows 8 Pro upgrades for three of my machines. But I could get only two Media Center codes, when I tried for the third I am getting the error message:

"We couldn't process your order."

When I enter my email and click send, I get an error message, " We couldn't process your order."

Dead?

Same error message for me today too. Also, if you have multiple computers, you will need to provide a different email address for each.

Use "Tools --> InPrivate Browsing" on IE because I got the same error the for my second email so MS probably has a cookie that only allows one email.

InPrivate browsing makes it so IE can't see the first cookie.

We couldn't proess your order.

KniRider said:   Nice find. It is a shame the FCC has allowed all channels to now be encrypted so the free OTA will be gone soon too.

If only WMC would integrate with my DirecTV, I would be in heaven.
I don't think this is quite accurate. Won't actual OTA channels still be unencrypted? My understanding is only the cable- or satellite-provided OTA channels will be encrypted.

Real shame on this is, I can't find any improvement on Media center in Win 8 version.. Not even integrated in new metro UI..

jansa said:   Instead, I'm looking for alternatives.

There's MythTV. Configuring it can be a hassle, but you only need to do it once.

does this change your Win8 product license?

vickh said:   does this change your Win8 product license?

Download page indicates it's an addition to Windows 8 Professional...

PS: Thanks OP!

DvST8 said:   jansa said:   Has anyone actually received an email with the key yet?

How long did it take you to receive your code from the time that you provided an address?

Does this allow for Blu Ray discs to be played?

idfubar said:   DvST8 said:   jansa said:   Has anyone actually received an email with the key yet?

How long did it take you to receive your code from the time that you provided an address?

To answer my own question the license key arrived today... so 13 days between successfully submitting the form and something being sent to the unique address which was provided.

My experience doesn't seem consistent with a Microsoft product experience so if anyone else has an anecdote to share which would afford some perspective please don't hesitate to share...

FYI, I just requested a key and got the email in about 5 minutes from when I submitted.

Thanks, I received the key.

Me too, thanks OP

Hmm. It still doesn't work for me. Do you need to do it from the computer with Win 8 Pro on it? Or is it email specific?

goldpiece said:   Hmm. It still doesn't work for me. Do you need to do it from the computer with Win 8 Pro on it? Or is it email specific?

I was using a Windows 7 computer to make the request.

Strange. Are you using the same email that you purchased Win 8 Pro with?

Actually I don't have Win 8 (yet?), I was anticipating a 2 week wait for the code, so I made the request before I purchased a new computer. Then I realized that most computers come with plain Windows 8, not Pro, and that would involve an expensive upgrade to get Media Center, so now I'm thinking of getting a Windows 7 machine. Regardless, the email address I used was not tied to any previous purchase, and it was one using a private domain, not gmail, yahoo, etc., if that makes a difference.

That is really strange. It doesn't work for me no matter what type of email I use. It immediately says "We couldn't process your order," after entering the code. I tried gmail, hotmail, msn, and private domain. I also tried IE too, just in case it favored that.

Based on the above, it looks like it gives that message if you try more than once. Maybe it set a cookie or recorded your ip on your first try, which you didn't get, and now it won't process the page anymore.

Just to rant for a minute, they are pricing the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 Pro at $40 (or is it $15?) but the upgrade from Win 8 plain to Pro is $70. Really annoying.

I'll try deleting my cookies and changing my IP.

That works! I wonder what causes it to fail the first time and then shut you out...

Skipping 7 Messages...
I wish I had seen this before. Waaaaaaah!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014