• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Today's Sunday Walgreen ads on page 17
Free A1C test coupon, expires Nov 30
Usually about $30.

Test by finger stick and not at all locations

Need to search for locations that perform health tests and A1c

The test will confirm diabetes and/or diabetic control.

Member Summary

A1C test (9.60kB)
Thanks UncleRico
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

what is your region ? I live in Southern California and just checked the weekly ad online, double checking the diabetes care page multiple times and there is no mentioning of free a1c test. Must be regional I am thinking or their print ad is different from online ad although mine is localized according to the web site of Walgreens

TheNomad said:   what is your region ? I live in Southern California and just checked the weekly ad online, double checking the diabetes care page multiple times and there is no mentioning of free a1c test. Must be regional I am thinking or their print ad is different from online ad although mine is localized according to the web site of Walgreens
I am in Texas.
The coupon is from Bayer Healthcare & novo nordisk for national diabetes month.
It states that copies of coupon are void

The coupon is on our regional web site http://walgreens.shoplocal.com/walgreens/default.aspx?action=ent...

Coupon does not appear in California Bay area but is available in Chicago.

I thought they had to do a glucose test for so many hours to test for diabetes?

Hemoglobin A1C substance is your body's memory for tracking your glucose levels in last 3 months (according to some doctors last 6 months)
Your finger pricking test shows you your blood glucose level for that moment in time. A1C test is cumulative and higher than usual (higher than 7 or 7.5 value) means, your body is not metabolizing sugar well and if you are not already diagnosed, you have a high chance that you are a hidden diabetic patient. If you are remotely curious about this, I'd suggest spending the $20-30 and get it checked. It might be the best money you spent. My 2 cents.

Slickone said:   I thought they had to do a glucose test for so many hours to test for diabetes?
We still do that in pregnant women for gestational diabetes and can use it if the tests have already been drawn in someone. But, we can diagnose "regular" diabetes with a single blood draw now (and it doesn't matter the timing with relation to when you ate). That said, some labs are faster at processing the test samples than others (I have seen a turnaround time of anywhere from 30 minutes to 3+ days).

Just a few interpretation points:
If your A1c is 6.0%-6.4%, you're considered "prediabetes" ( = at risk for developing diabetes, but haven't quite got there, yet).
If your A1c is 6.5% or greater, you have diabetes.
If youre A1c is below 6.0%, you are "normal".

An A1c value is "valid" for ~3 months.

Slickone said:   I thought they had to do a glucose test for so many hours to test for diabetes?

Yes, for some time there were a few tests that were done that took hours. One was the 24 hour urine collection. The other was a glucose test that involved drinking a syrupy-sweet usually cola-flavored beverage, then drawing blood at set times after consuming the beverage, to see how your body responds to the glucose in the drink. The results would be compared to what a normal response would be. If glucose levels remained elevated when they shouldn't, you have diabetes.

Many communities* have free diabetes screenings, you would have to fast, then come in and they will do a finger-prick test with a standard glucose meter. If your blood glucose exceeds normal fasting levels, you may be either pre-diabetic or diabetic, in which case you are urged to have further testing. A1C shows how you have been able to control your blood sugars if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. It can also indicate diabetes or pre-diabetes in someone un-diagnosed, as TheNomad said.

*My former location had a screening day sponsored by the Lions Club and the local hospital, where you could get lab work done at reduced costs. The glucose finger stick was very inexpensive ($5.00?). Health Dept had free screenings.

A finger stick for glucose is a screening test but the free A1C is nearly definitive in ruling out diabetes or ruling it in. That is if the glucose teat is high then you will probably get a A1C test but if it is low it does not completely rule out diabetes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014