Google Voice Calls FREE in 2013

Archived From: Free Stuff
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So quiet for hours since announcement... make some Voices!!

Member Summary

Google Voice Calls FREE in 2013
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't think I've ever been confused as I am now. Would someone, please, put up a synopsis in the Member Summary when ... (more)

Gnomie (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 5:07p) |

just read the thread title --- the service "google voice" is free in 2013 --- people where wondering if free service wou... (more)

germanpope (Jan. 28, 2013 @ 10:10p) |

Thanks for the info!!!I can now make calls through Gmail without having to wait until after 9PM when my cell phone minut... (more)

pamelavaughn39 (Feb. 17, 2013 @ 2:23p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

yay!

GREAT~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!LOVE google

THX for posting! Great news!

another year of holding a number I don't use

jett said:   So quiet for hours since announcement... make some Voices!!
This thread beat you to it:
FW

That's RIGHT, stick those higher prices Verizon and AT&T!!!
Between this and free 911 from any cellphone why pay a cent for calls?!?
You'd never see Apple offering this, nor Microsoft..

I got the Google Voice app for my iPod touch and have been making calls on it since last week and really like it!

The author of that Forbes article, along with probably a majority of users, do not understand the difference between Google Voice and Google Talk. Google Voice does not allow you to make free phone calls from a browser or app, it is an incoming phone number that forwards the calls to a real phone number or let's you initiate an outgoing call from that same real phone number. Google Talk is the service that allows you to make calls from within your browser or app. To confuse things further you can actually set Google Talk as a destination device for your Google Voice incoming phone number.

EDIT: I should add that the most important difference between the two is that the Google Voice app on your mobile phone still uses your plan minutes and the Google Talk app does not let you dial telephone numbers. So Google is not undermining the cell industry quite as much as people give them credit for.

peste386 said:   

EDIT: I should add that the most important difference between the two is that the Google Voice app on your mobile phone still uses your plan minutes and the Google Talk app does not let you dial telephone numbers. So Google is not undermining the cell industry quite as much as people give them credit for.

Using the Groove app on your phone combined with Google Voice allows you to make/receive calls without using plan minutes. You can do the same with Skype, which has better voice quality too, in my experience (Google Voice not required with Skype, but you can use them together if you link your number).

With an Obitalk box at home, you can plug an ordinary phone in and make calls with your Google Voice account, sans 911. There is also an Obitalk phone app to link to your box, but I haven't experienced great phone quality with it yet.

You're right, the Forbes author doesn't know the difference between Google Talk and Google Voice. It's hard to find media authors who really understand what they are writing about.

Yeah, I've got the GrooveIP app and an ObiTalk. You're right, they both fill in the gaps that Google left open but the thing that worries me about them is that they are third party and Google could easily close the door on both if they wanted to.

peste386 said:   Google Voice does not allow you to make free phone calls from a browser or app, it is an incoming phone number that forwards the calls to a real phone number or let's you initiate an outgoing call from that same real phone number.

you need an internet connection, then, connect a bluetooth headset (or USB or just use speakers/mic) to your computer, go to gmail, click on the telephone icon on the left under your mail folders then dial a number. POOF! you just made a phone call for free from a browser without forwarding the call to another number!

TAZ420 said:   
you need an internet connection, then, connect a bluetooth headset (or USB or just use speakers/mic) to your computer, go to gmail, click on the telephone icon on the left under your mail folders then dial a number. POOF! you just made a phone call for free from a browser without forwarding the call to another number!

Thanks for proving my point. You are exactly the type of misinformed user that I was referring to. That is not Google Voice. That is Google Talk.

The title of this thread is incorrect. This has nothing to do with Google Voice. That is a completely different product.

Another $360 that doesn't go to AT&T YAY!

aadam101 said:   The title of this thread is incorrect. This has nothing to do with Google Voice. That is a completely different product.

Why did you say that? The link shows "google voice stays free." The title of the website is "Google Voice Stays Free in 2013..." The title of the thread is "Google Voice Calls FREE in 2013."

alhluu said:   aadam101 said:   The title of this thread is incorrect. This has nothing to do with Google Voice. That is a completely different product.

Why did you say that? The link shows "google voice stays free." The title of the website is "Google Voice Stays Free in 2013..." The title of the thread is "Google Voice Calls FREE in 2013."

He said that because Forbes misquoted Google and the OP of this thread repeated the misquote.

Here is the official Google statement.
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/free-calling-within-us-and...

They say calling from Gmail will continue to be free. This is not the Google Voice service. It is Google Talk. Now, in all likelihood Google Voice will also still be free as I can't imagine Google pulling the plug on people with only 1 week notice.

alhluu said:   aadam101 said:   The title of this thread is incorrect. This has nothing to do with Google Voice. That is a completely different product.

I don't care what the article says. Google Voice is a completely different product from the product being discussed in the article. Google Voice is a virtual phone number that you can use to replace your existing phone number. You need a phone line to use Google Voice. It doesn't actually give you the ability to make any calls at all. Your phone line is still making the calls. Google Voice basically spoofs the number. Also, I believe international calls on Google Voice cost money. Google Voice has always been free (with the exception of international calls) ever since they were called GrandCentral.

I believe the OP is referencing a Google product that allows you to make calls through Gmail. This has no connection with Google Voice. The services are not integrated at all (but they probably should be).

Ok now I'm confused.

Is this thread about something new, or is it merely a thread by somebody who's excited that nothing is going to change?

peste386 said:   TAZ420 said:   

Thanks for proving my point. You are exactly the type of misinformed user that I was referring to. That is not Google Voice. That is Google Talk.

I NEVER SAID THAT WAS GOOGLE VOICE!
I NEVER SAID IT WAS GOOGLE TALK!

I simply explained how to make free calls via your Google Voice number WITHOUT A CELL PHONE & WITHOUT A LANDLINE.

Google Voice uses Google Talk to make calls from the browser without a mobile/landline.
How is that so hard to understand?

TAZ420 said:   peste386 said:   TAZ420 said:   

I NEVER SAID THAT WAS GOOGLE VOICE!
I NEVER SAID IT WAS GOOGLE TALK!

I simply explained how to make free calls via your Google Voice number WITHOUT A CELL PHONE & WITHOUT A LANDLINE.

Google Voice uses Google Talk to make calls from the browser without a mobile/landline.
How is that so hard to understand?
Google voice does not use Google Talk. Google Voice is not required to place free calls using Google Talk from within Gmail. The announcement is for calling from within Gmail which can be done without a Google Voice account. Google voice is not mentioned.

The official announcement on the Gmail Blog
Many of you call phones from Gmail to easily connect with friends and family. If you're in the US and Canada, you'll continue to be able to make free domestic calls through 2013.

Nothing has been posted on the Google Voice Blog. They could make a different announcement there at a later time. They haven't committed to free Google Voice through 2013 yet.

gmail popup
Disclaimer
ok, it's not Google Voice, it just uses my Google Voice number, shows my Google Voice balance, stores dialed calls in my Google Voice history, even your copied quote, "Many of you call phones from Gmail...", when clicked on, then click "rates", takes you to Google Voice info page.

if you've never dialed a number from Gmail before you are presented with the attached popup...
which is about what? GOOGLE VOICE!

and from twitter...
twitter said: Google Voice ‏@googlevoice
Free calling within the US and Canada through 2013 http://ow.ly/gnSmQ

Yeah, TAZ420 is right, the "phone call via Gmail" uses Google Voice tech via the Google Talk widget in Gmail. It ties into my Google Voice number as well, although if you don't have a Google Voice number you can still place calls, just not receive them. Calls coming into my Google Voice number ring both my phone and in Gmail.

aadam101 said:   alhluu said:   aadam101 said:   The title of this thread is incorrect. This has nothing to do with Google Voice. That is a completely different product.

I don't care what the article says. Google Voice is a completely different product from the product being discussed in the article. Google Voice is a virtual phone number that you can use to replace your existing phone number. You need a phone line to use Google Voice. It doesn't actually give you the ability to make any calls at all. Your phone line is still making the calls. Google Voice basically spoofs the number. Also, I believe international calls on Google Voice cost money. Google Voice has always been free (with the exception of international calls) ever since they were called GrandCentral.

I believe the OP is referencing a Google product that allows you to make calls through Gmail. This has no connection with Google Voice. The services are not integrated at all (but they probably should be).

You need a phone to signup for it, not to use and continue. I've had it 2 years with obi and no landline. outgoing and incoming.

good to know because this is the only number i give out now.

I think maybe Google needs to do a better job of branding these products. It's confusing.

why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS !! =)

This thread has not helped me much. I cancelled the land line and bought a Magic Jack and then purchased from pcphonesoft. The software to make Google Voice to work. I was able to get the phone to call out but I can't get it to ring when a call comes in. Then there has been other problems with it. I could not keep my old phone number so I had to take one from Google.

As of today, it is still not working.

MitchFlorida said:   why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

I don't use Magic Jack.

But you should know that google voice doesn't work for everyone. They have allotted zero numbers for Hawaii.

it keeps saying "within US and Canada", but does anyone have definitive answer: to make free call from US to a Canadian landline, what does one need at minimum?

if all you care about is calling Canada for free, you can use your landline and broadband to make unlimited free calls to Canada. You can also use your cell phone if you are using free minutes.

germanpope said:   MitchFlorida said:   why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

I don't use Magic Jack.

But you should know that google voice doesn't work for everyone. They have allotted zero numbers for Hawaii.

Can you still get a GV California number in Hawaii and then make free calls to the entire U.S.and Canada?

MitchFlorida said:   germanpope said:   MitchFlorida said:   why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

I don't use Magic Jack.

Can you still get a GV California number in Hawaii and then make free calls to the entire U.S.and Canada?

I would think so
I have an account with a Seattle area code and used to use it regularly

Could you clarify steps? I only have cellphone and wireless internet
MitchFlorida said:   if all you care about is calling Canada for free, you can use your landline and broadband to make unlimited free calls to Canada. You can also use your cell phone if you are using free minutes.

Miro00 said:   MitchFlorida said:   germanpope said:   MitchFlorida said:   why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

I don't use Magic Jack.

I would think so

VOIP.ms will give you a Hawaiian phone number for incoming calls for $5 a month. The outgoing calls would go through GV.

SinglePapa said:   Could you clarify steps? I only have cellphone and wireless internet
MitchFlorida said:   if all you care about is calling Canada for free, you can use your landline and broadband to make unlimited free calls to Canada. You can also use your cell phone if you are using free minutes.

Sign up for the service, and then dial a Canadian Number on Google Voice. GV will call you back on your cellphone and complete the call.

If you aren't being billed for the cell phone minutes like on the weekend, there is no charge to you.

MitchFlorida said:   Miro00 said:   MitchFlorida said:   germanpope said:   MitchFlorida said:   why would anyone use Magic Jack if you can use google voice and obi? Keep it a secret though.

I don't use Magic Jack.

I would think so

VOIP.ms will give you a Hawaiian phone number for incoming calls for $5 a month. The outgoing calls would go through GV.

Ooma offers Hawaii for a $30/year surcharge

I don't think I've ever been confused as I am now. Would someone, please, put up a synopsis in the Member Summary when things are decided? My head hurts.

Skipping 2 Messages...
Thanks for the info!!!I can now make calls through Gmail without having to wait until after 9PM when my cell phone minutes are low. The information was straight forward and easy for me to follow.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.